My Little Phony

Pages PREV 1 2

RDubayoo:
If the protagonist was like Sarah Palin every liberal character in the movie would treat her like she's the greatest threat to the human race who ever lived. In other words, she's the sort of female that makes liberals forget they're supposed to be feminists. Of course, therein lies the real truth--in order to have a liberal's respect you have to agree with him. No deviating from the dictates of the hive mind, ladies, or else you'll lose your "protected" status!

Anyway, aside from being excessively liberal again, good review.

Andy Schafly? Is that you?!

Bland or not, I suspect this movie will probably do reasonably well for itself for one crucial reason that seems to have been overlooked here: Little girls. Little horse-mad girls. With families. Who will be willing to put up with an unambitious movie to temporarily quench their darling's desire to see a film about anything with four legs that goes "neigh". People, I speak from experience here! ;)

I think I'll stick with Seabiscuit for racing-world thrills. I read the book too, and I thought the film came out pretty well.

Mortagog:
...and thus were MovieBob's detractors reminded of why he is allowed weekly contributions on the Escapist.

Well done, Sir!

I concur Dr. Mortagog, I liked Seabiscuit and I can tell they are just trying to rip off that winning formula and failing but then again most of the good disney stuff comes from Touchstone and Pixar.

and that brings a question to my mind bob, which is the better company dreamworks of pixar?

The_root_of_all_evil:
Let's see...

Secretariat is a movie about a horse....

No, lost me already. #1 is the title - that's a god-awful word.

I thought it was about a secretary themed superhero.

So basically it's what would have been a movie of the week type affair on hallmark channel turned into a cynical attempt to woo the oscar voters? meh not like i give a crap what that bunch of wankers vote for anyway, the fact they constantly ignore popular movies or movies of certain genre's(scifi) in favor of this sort of crap speaks volumes.

I'm guessing Bob doesn't nor ever did have any pets.

Sylocat:
Finally, someone calls this movie out on its pandering bullshit.

That said, I didn't think it was that bad AS A MOVIE. The acting was good, the cinematography and technical aspects were great, and though the pussified story and subtext were awful, the actual screenplay was pretty good.

But I still agree.

I'm asuming you didn't read until the end, because it seems to me that MovieBob didn't think it was that bad as a movie either.

Velocirapture07:
Alright. I Understand the the blindside ins't like the greatest movie ever or anything, but I fail to see how it was horribly racist. It was portraying racism, and seemed to show that it is wrong.

Political correctness to the degree where we can't have any black people helped out or supported by white people is even worse in my opinion. Sure, there should be movies about strong black men and women helping themselves (and I'm sure there are), but I don't understand why films with different approaches are considered racist.

I know that was all off topic, but bob bringing it up kind of made me angry about it again. I still want to check out Secretariat just as a fair-weather fan of horse-racing and to see what I think about it. Ebert gave it 4 out of 4 stars...

Wasn't he refering to how Secretariat was treating its black character? That was how it seemed to me at least.

canadamus_prime:
I'm guessing Bob doesn't nor ever did have any pets.

Based on what?

RDubayoo:
If the protagonist was like Sarah Palin every liberal character in the movie would treat her like she's the greatest threat to the human race who ever lived. In other words, she's the sort of female that makes liberals forget they're supposed to be feminists. Of course, therein lies the real truth--in order to have a liberal's respect you have to agree with him. No deviating from the dictates of the hive mind, ladies, or else you'll lose your "protected" status!

And once again, I'm left to wonder if a conservative can ever stay on-topic or, indeed, ever add to a discussion without going off the rails in the first sentence.
But I'm sure it felt good to come right out and say it, didn't it? At least we know you won't do the same thing in the next thread that tangentially discusses something political, right? (Ha.)

RDubayoo:

Agreed. I generally like ole MovieBob, but what never fails to piss me off about him is his never ending willingness to give liberal movies a pass regardless of how shitty their plot may be (Avatar), and shit on movies with a more conservative lean. I didn't really care for the Blind Side, but its a decent movie that is a true story, and the FACT that a young black man's life was made better because of a white lady shouldn't subject it to liberal scorn.

I can't believe I am defending such a mediocre movie, but some people dislike it for the wrong reasons.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here