281: Rated E for Everywhere

Pages PREV 1 2

Seriously?

You agree with it being snobbery for an adult not to want to play a kid's game?

REALLY?

OK then, what about this side of the arguement... maybe with you're willingness to accept kid's games as a viable pastime, you're not quite as mature as you think you are.. read: immature. :o

I hate the Wii and I won't be getting Kinect for reasons of not-caring and money, so that's one whole subset of what he's recommending right out of the window.

For the rest, I don't wat to spend my time wading through the indie titles, and generally I don't buy games without knowing a lot about them first, which is why I haven't bought any of the MoH, MW or CoD group, because they just don't interest me.

I'm not after more kid-centred or ecclectic games, I'm after games like Mass Effect, with a full and engaging storyline that I can get entirely lost in for days on end. Maybe instead of focusing on graphics at all game developers should focus on telling a good story with interesting and engaging characters. I'd play a 16 bit sidescroller if it had a good story and I was invested in the characters. I still play games from the PS1 era because they have good characters and storylines.

Graphics, gameplay innovations, gameplay mechanics (casual games often have quite inventive mechanics but no story), centred on kids or adults, none of that bothers me, and I don't believe it should bother anyone else. Because all of the above should just be used to make the story better, and if any of the above is being used as the entire filling of the game I won't give it the time of day.

Long story short, I don't want a time-sink, no matter how engaging, colourful or flowing it is, I want something that will engage me like a book, not a game of solitaire.

I have often found it annoying when people say that only a few kinds of games are made, and the most common of the complained about list is "Modern Day shooters" and "Space Marine Shooters". The reason we are sick of them is not because there is so many of them, it's because a fair few were made that were not good in the slightest. Remember Soldier of Fortune: Payback, Turning Point: Fall of Liberty and Turok? Those of you who do, how many of you enjoyed these games and found them to be good games worthy of titles and awards? Worthy of full retail price?

Worthy of a rent?

If we see derivative and dull games in a medium in rapid succession, we presume that the genre is getting dusty and dirty, needing of a clean and something to generally give it life. Look at the Final Fantasy series right now; XIV is a shambles right now and I can't see it last much longer, XIII is very mixed and Versus XIII is no where in sight for any of the fans. People have now began to question whether we should lay the series to rest now, but I can't help but think "No, we should not." Game designers make mistakes and learn from them and finally manage to craft epic games by listening to what was said about the previous title. I'm certain that is what Square Enix is doing with the series, and I would gladly see a Final Fantasy XV.

Calumon: Sonic's getting better now. We just needed a little patience! ^^

People think all games look the same? I don't. With all the different games and artstyles we've got right now, I'd say the exact opposite actually. Most games have a pretty distinct look, though it clearly blurs a bit if we're talking about games in the same genre, and even then, you can usually find a game that does something different.

Amazing article! I never thought of the subject, and I have always played both mature and child games, sometimes in the same day. Fun games are fun.
Regarding the difficulty of these games, it is a very misleading idea to think child games tend to be easier. Kirby is a very cute game in many senses, but is difficult as hell!
Regarding the seriousness, I have a very good example. "Drawn to life" may look like a silly game, but if you analyze the narrative bone structure, it is a very sad story about nationalism and treason. You kill him at the end, you do not save him. Just like any other nation would execute a terrorist.

K.:
Can anyone recommend a children's games for the DS that gives a sense of adventure, does not require reading and is actually good?

Kirby Mouse Attack
Kirby Canvas Curse

Both difficult games. Prepare your touch screen.

MelasZepheos:
I hate the Wii and I won't be getting Kinect for reasons of not-caring and money, so that's one whole subset of what he's recommending right out of the window.

I think the Kinect looks kinda silly, but why don`t you like Wii?
There are really good games with good story-telling for it.
Muramasa and Fragile Dreams, for instance.

Lord_Gremlin:

HankMan:

Lord_Gremlin:
One seeks in games what one can't get in real life. What most of us can't do in real life? Exactly. Disembowel and decapitate our neighbors and/or enemies. And there you have violent games.

Well you can't dodge giant frosted donuts in a candy factory floating in the sky in real life either.

Well, the natural human desire is not to dodge food, but to eat it.

So a diabetic wouldn't dodge a frosted giant doughnut?

I always laugh at the people who won't play a game because it looks kiddy. I've seen quite a few cool guys say this when Team Fortress 2 was brought up in conversations.

You know if you're gonna let something like that get to you, then don't complain about games looking the same ya know?

Hehe. Conker's bad fur day comes to mind here.

It has the art style of a typical 'kiddy' game, but the content is anything but safe for viewing by children.

It contains so much crude humour...

Well, let's just say a game with drinking, swearing, sexual content, and some seriously morally dubious behaviour is not one that kids should be playing.

And yet... It looks just like your average kids game.

Perhaps this explains why it didn't sell so well.
It was too much of a contradiction for most people to understand?

Oh well. What a pity that people are so narrow-minded.

Each of those games requiring you to just "kill guy AA00 to ZZ99"... now that is boring.

And what there is to complain. I don't need that shit and keep myself entertained in L4D2. I must say it's much more gray at places than any of those. Still, you need to kill the guys, but that quickly becomes secondary to teamwork in harder modes and requires a lot of attention.

Jack and Calumon:

Fumbleumble:
Seriously?

REALLY?

OK then, what about this side of the arguement... maybe with you're willingness to accept kid's games as a viable pastime, you're not quite as mature as you think you are.. read: immature. :o

If you insult someone for enjoying a different style of gaming, then you're the immature one. Some genres are mostly E-rated (platformers and adventures come to mind), and--as the article says--they tend to have a beautiful, colorful art style.

I agree with the article. Unfortunately, I don't own a DS or a Wii (nor do I intend to), which is where most of the "good" kid-friendly games quoted in this forum are based (exclusively, it seems).

I'll always have Little Big Planet (and the sequel when it comes out), which I love, but is about as kid-friendly as I can take.

I'm not saying my inner child has gone away, he just likes to burn things and crash monster trucks together. He's a little special.

Let's amend the statement then: There aren't any GOOD games that have variation.

Not G. Ivingname:

Jack and Calumon:

Pretty sure he meant Sonic 4 and/or Sonic Colors

starwarsgeek:

Not G. Ivingname:

Jack and Calumon:

Pretty sure he meant Sonic 4 and/or Sonic Colors

Pretty sure I was making a joke.

Although if Free Riders is the THIRD in the riders series, then something is wrong.

I never read the original aticle, and now I don't want to. People complain about originality because it looks the same, so do several movies, books, and any other medium. Originality is something hard to do in any industry, and even if something is original, it doesn't mean it will be succesful, sometimes it has the opposite effect, how many people even remember or bought folklore? Complaining about how something looks like something else should be ignored unless it was obviously heavily based on another.

Not G. Ivingname:

Although if Free Riders is the THIRD in the riders series, then something is wrong.

On the other hand, I enjoyed Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing when I rented it a while back. Closest thing to an HD Mario Kart until next generation.

OT: I'm glad this article reminded me of a boy and his blob...playing it again right now :D

Playing online math games is helpful for children to enhance their creativity and intelligence. However, parents should decide what is good for their kids and what not. There are several online game sites like aafter.com that offer educational kids game at free of cost.

starwarsgeek:

Fumbleumble:
Seriously?

REALLY?

If you insult someone for enjoying a different style of gaming, then you're the immature one. Some genres are mostly E-rated (platformers and adventures come to mind), and--as the article says--they tend to have a beautiful, colorful art style.

JESUS.. RTFT next time.

He took the high ground first, I was just turning it around.

Fumbleumble:

starwarsgeek:

Fumbleumble:
Seriously?

REALLY?

JESUS.. RTFT next time.

He took the high ground first, I was just turning it around.

First of all, if you want other readers to know the context, then quote the person you're replying to. Secondly, someone annoying does not make your post valid. Finally, being rude doesn't help the impression of immaturity that the first post gave. Sorry bud.

Beh... I refuse to generalize everything that doesn't gush blood all over the place and has more colors in it than brown as "childrens games".
That's a silly label that only serves to limit it to a certain audience.
Okami isn't a "childrens game" and neither is mario or psychonauts.
Most "mature" games are really just "immature" too. So there.

double post

Every time I complain about lack of games for the PC, or lack of variety in FPS games, I get pointed to indie and flash games. What's the logic in that?

Yes, you get more variety in indie, Wii, kids, party and flash games. How does that help if I want to play a decent shooter that doesn't look like a MW, Halo, GTA or Gears clone? What do I play? Limbo? That cute Planet-something PS3 game? Wii Sports? Don't be ridiculous.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here