Review: Epic Mickey

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Looks like the bottom line is:

A stupid gimmick has ruined a game with so much potential and such a wonderful story idea. Motion control isn't good for anything except niche titles and spesific kinds of gameplay. It's been proven with PS3 and Xbox motion control games being copies of every popular Wii game. There's only so much you can do with it, and trying to force it into games that might appeal to anyone but party gamers will ultimately hurt it.

Maybe there will be a remake or sequel on a real gaming platform and companies will have learned their lesson about this fad.

Mr.Mattress:

Mr. Fister:
I read another review that compared Epic Mickey to Psychonauts, and I feel that's the best analogy to use here.

Which is weird because according to Wikipedia, in the US, the game is outsold in Disney Store Website.

I meant in terms of the actual game, not sales. Epic Mickey seems to be a lot like Psychonauts: Brilliant concept, storytelling, and atmosphere muddled in flawed gameplay.

I remember when those awesome screenshots first came out for the game. Is any of that actually in this? If not, then what a waste.

I'm going to reiterate what everyone said I was crazy for saying a few months back. It's still on the Wii, I see they haven't fixed that problem. I mean seriously how could anyone have expected better. The Wii is overall a god awful system not capable of supporting games like this and in the end only serves to hold back a game like Epic Mickey from being the truly awesome experience it should have been.

Motion controls be damned I didn't see a single aspect of gameplay in that review supplement that couldn't have been implemented like the gameplay in Super Mario Sunshine had this game been made for other systems. Which only serves to further my belief that Warren Spectre and Disney were full of it when they told everyone this game couldn't have been made on another system.

I really was tempted by this game to finally go out and buy a Wii, but hearing how poorly handled it was thanks to simply being on the Wii it's only cemented my reasons further to not buy such a turd of a system.

I remember bring told by someone here that it would be my loss for shunning the game simply for it being on the Wii. I take no pleasure in knowing now that I was right in my belief I wasn't missing anything.

FlyAwayAutumn:
Well that's too bad, I was going to get this for my brother but I'm not sure I should now.

Is your brother one of those kids that play lego style games? Cause I'm betting that this game will still be something cool for him to play and enjoy. You will probably need to help him though.

Swifteye:

FlyAwayAutumn:
Well that's too bad, I was going to get this for my brother but I'm not sure I should now.

Is your brother one of those kids that play lego style games? Cause I'm betting that this game will still be something cool for him to play and enjoy. You will probably need to help him though.

Well he's 25, so no. He said it looked cool and I was planning on getting it for him for christmas.

I find this very disappointing. I was willing to overlook the fact that it was on the Wii simply because as an animation major/gamer this looked like it was right up my alley, but now I wonder if it's really worth it.

Maybe they will make a better version for a different console.

The game lived up to its trailers. I don't recall anything in them showcasing spectacular gameplay. They demonstrated the tone and settings and showed complete focus on nostalgia factors. It shouldn't be too surprising that the end product is what your getting.

I find it funny (read: sad) that so many commentors disagree with the concluded rating of 3/5 and then ponder why it was anything but 1/5. It seems they either have ADD, a bad memory, or just pay attention to one aspect of the reviews. I guess it is the same for how they say "Yahtzee hates every game"; they seem to only comprehend a portion of the whole, and just because 4 out of 5 minutes are spent on the bad elements, it doesn't mean that ratio is directly congruous to the entire gaming experience.

I am really, really sad to hear this. I was looking forward to this game so much, ever since I heard the first murmurs of "Hey, did you hear? They're making a steam-punk Mickey Mouse game." You guys remember that first concept art they released of robot-Goofy? I fell in love with that. I was going to rent a Wii so I could play this game. And I hate the Wii (and Nintendo fanboys, it's okay. It hated me first. I physically cannot hold a Wii controller because of a birth deformity in my right hand.)

I should have seen this coming. As they released more and more information about it, I wasn't too impressed, but... steam punk Disney, man. It had to be awesome. It just had to be.

But no such luck. Hell, I don't even like the art style, cutscenes or gameplay.
This is such a disappointment. =c

Russ Pitts:
"The game is set in the so-called "Wasteland": a fictional world mirroring the more famous Disneyland in which cartoons who have been forgotten and overshadowed by Disney's more popular characters, and - wait for this - have lost their hearts, go to spend their final days."

Soooo it's basically just Kingdom Hearts without the Square-Enix Mary Sues. Got it.

well, I've never been much of a fan of Disney (don't get me wrong, they've had a couple good films, but I never really developed a soft spot in my heart for them, and some of their practices (corporate and otherwise) have rather irritated me, so I'm not too sorry to see this fail.

Yep. I'm spiteful. Deal with it.

That's really too bad... Epic Mickey seems to refine the parts of Kingdom Hearts that I liked, but a bad camera is something pretty hard to overlook. Still, the originality of it, the usage of lesser known characters, does make it appealing...

I have to say, I'm enjoying it overall. It does seem like the more hyped up you were for it, the more you're going to be disappointed. And I'd be lying if I said that it didn't have its issues - Russ wrote a great review covering them. But I guess I'm a sucker for good concept and story, because I'll be sticking with this one.

If you're on the fence, try to get your hands on it at a store where they've got a demo set up. Or rent it if you have a subscription to one of the various services. I personally think it's good enough to stick through the frustration, but YMMV.

Now I'm having second thoughts about getting the collector's edition or the original one. I don't care if it has problems. I was looking forward to this game ever since I saw the trailer months ago.

Well, no shit.
I don't own a Wii, and didn't really care about the game. But I was somehow expecting it to not be the second coming of MetalChrist.

iv been playing for a few days and i agree about the control issues.. and as a player that likes to get ALL the treasure in a game, i hate that this game makes you choose certain paths meaning you eithr get this prize or that.. but you CANT get both.

another thing i dont like abt this game is that once you go through a door leaving one place you cant go back! you cant go revist worlds for the things you missed.. maybe later on in the game or when you complete it. but you can easily be exploring a world and go one way and get locked out leaving all the treasrue and other quest in that world behind giving you no other choice but to keep moving forward.

so im thinking that the goal of this game is to actually finish it with out having any fun or doing the things you wanna do..

i also agree with the whole kingdom hearts heartless deal.. wtf?? is there no other good ideas left for disney characters?? i wish they wouldv jus skipped this whole epic mickey game and released another kingdom hearts:D

on the whole this game is just something new to play and get frustrated with.. im glad it was a gift or else it would be going back to the store.

They named the game Epic Mickey. Unintelligent design choices should be expected.

There are many well written negative reviews of Epic Mickey. This is not one of them.

Another failed Wii title?

First Other M, now this... I can only hope Skyward Sword is worth the money.

Well... that's certainly a dissapointment. Really, I didn't expect this to be all what Warren Spector promised it would be, mostly because of the technical limitations of the Wii itself, but I expected that, at the very least, would be a worthwile platfromer.

Reading and watching Pitts' review didn't dissuade me to play the thing. This is only a single person opinion, not excluding Susan's own opinion about the game. This may be just a rent as I'm very low on money right now, but I STILL want to play the thing to judge it by myself.

Should I be surprised this game turned out to not be as good as all the hype made it out to be?

Ouch. Well, I might give it a chance someday if the price goes down.

That's too bad, I'll still probably check it out though. Hope 'The Reluctant Dragon' and 'Lambert the Sheepish Lion' are in it.

Also, does the plot remind anyone else of that episode of Tiny Toons, the one that mixed Field of Dreams with Bosco?

I seriously never got why this was so anticipated. While everyone was all about the Epic Mickey, I pretty much struggled to figure out what exactly was so exciting. Not that I saw failure coming, more that I just didn't look at all.

Cousin_IT:
So...would have been better as a movie?

I think the subtext is that it would have been better on the 3 main platforms instead.

I was debating between this and DKC Returns. So glad I trusted my gut and went with DKC. That game is pure platforming gold.

Way to screw yourself on a sure thing, Disney. Fix the camera, put it on a real system, and try to make us forget this release as a mass hallucination. And don't focus group it to death with biker douches; I want evil rat Mickey.

Oh what a surprise! It's completely terrible!

This is one of the first negative reviews I have seen for this game...

KeyMaster45:
I'm going to reiterate what everyone said I was crazy for saying a few months back. It's still on the Wii, I see they haven't fixed that problem. I mean seriously how could anyone have expected better. The Wii is overall a god awful system not capable of supporting games like this and in the end only serves to hold back a game like Epic Mickey from being the truly awesome experience it should have been.

Motion controls be damned I didn't see a single aspect of gameplay in that review supplement that couldn't have been implemented like the gameplay in Super Mario Sunshine had this game been made for other systems. Which only serves to further my belief that Warren Spectre and Disney were full of it when they told everyone this game couldn't have been made on another system.

I really was tempted by this game to finally go out and buy a Wii, but hearing how poorly handled it was thanks to simply being on the Wii it's only cemented my reasons further to not buy such a turd of a system.

I remember bring told by someone here that it would be my loss for shunning the game simply for it being on the Wii. I take no pleasure in knowing now that I was right in my belief I wasn't missing anything.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I really, really would have liked this game to be good, but seeing this review, it's hard not to feel that this game on the PS3 or Xbox would have been a great improvement, tedious gameplay aside. I know that I, atleast would have checked it out, if it had come out on the PS3, but since it's as poorly executed as it apparently is, I'm not even going to consider finding/buying a Wii for trying it. Too bad, but not much to do about it, tbh.

The review didn't really match the score. Bit confusing.

Remember that line from Extra Credits about how ideas are worthless on their own? This game is a good example of that. In fact, it's a good example of why designers need to be aware of that fact, because otherwise they tend to assume their brilliant game idea will automatically be good and that they don't need to put much effort into execution.

Nurb:

A stupid gimmick has ruined a game with so much potential and such a wonderful story idea. Motion control isn't good for anything except niche titles and spesific kinds of gameplay. It's been proven with PS3 and Xbox motion control games being copies of every popular Wii game. There's only so much you can do with it, and trying to force it into games that might appeal to anyone but party gamers will ultimately hurt it.

How are motion controls to blame for the core mechanic (the paint/thinner thing) being flawed and poorly handled? Or the dodgy camera? Or the general heavy focus on story and Disney history trivia over gameplay? Or the stupid jumping puzzles? Did you just stop reading when you got to the part about Russ's hand cramping up? And then forget everything you had already read?

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Warren Spector, it appears you have failed.

I look forward to what other people are doing with one of your other creations, Deus Ex. It looks good thus far.

Steve the Pocket:
Remember that line from Extra Credits about how ideas are worthless on their own? This game is a good example of that. In fact, it's a good example of why designers need to be aware of that fact, because otherwise they tend to assume their brilliant game idea will automatically be good and that they don't need to put much effort into execution.

Nurb:

How are motion controls to blame for the core mechanic (the paint/thinner thing) being flawed and poorly handled? Or the dodgy camera? Or the general heavy focus on story and Disney history trivia over gameplay? Or the stupid jumping puzzles? Did you just stop reading when you got to the part about Russ's hand cramping up? And then forget everything you had already read?

I am curious as well, if the PS Move would have been better. None of the games cramp my hand when I use it, but the Wii seems to be aggravatingly unresponsive many times.

Point is, if they used the higher end consoles, and picked a normal controller or motion control, they might have had more to work with. Why the hell they chose the Wii is beyond me. They probably could have done so much more.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here