Zero Punctuation: Top 5 of 2010

Pages PREV 1 . . . 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 NEXT

I wonder if Yahtzee got bribed to pick Just Cause 2. (I wouldn't judge him for it, I'd probably do the exact same thing).

That is it. I cannot take it any longer. It is as if I've seen some great evil in an alleyway, perhaps a Lovecraftian ritual gone wrong though I'm not entirely sure that would fit in an alleyway.

Bioshock 2 was bad, and I'm relieved the discussion is out on this again. For someone who played the first game to death (I am a fan and I guess that is enough reason to chop my tongue out but take hold on your Shakespearean fetishes) it feels like the sequel missed the point entirely like a man, aiming a target, shot the Moon if the target was not on the Moon for metaphor's sake.

It is difficult to malign Bioshock 2 for stagnating, because the gameplay was an improvement on every level; at times of action the momentary arena was frantic using lighting and water to direct a sense of claustrophobia, the culmination of this at the end of the game. That's really much it, but set pieces are so crucial for gameplay; Uncharted 2 exemplifies this, using its environments to convey despair (the battle succeeding the train crash), aggression (the train level), and monotony (the goddamn museum level).

The true problem Bioshock 2 has, the ants in the seams of its patchwork, a terrible story. Genuinely. A good story is something that makes you feel good at the end, not something that utilizes a bunch of themes and morals in an attempt to be a good story. A good story is like Endgame, because the audience, at the end of the play, doesn't completely understand the events going on, but appreciates Beckett's mastery of dialogue. A good story is like Macbeth, because of the smooth, articulate language Shakespeare employs. A good story is like Bioshock, because of Levine's artful ways in producing utter destruction, if not in the scenery then in the human body, the human mind, and the human soul. Going through Bioshock is to enter a macrocosmic world beyond your own enclosures; you are nothing but a grain of sand in a desert, there are forces much greater than you are, which leads me to my next point.

It is nearly primal to assume a higher power in an attempt to absorb the minutiae of the universe, though science has dimished that instinct. The introduction of Bioshock destroyed all scientific reasoning, logically, as it ushered onto you a palace underwater. Whether faithful or not all gods or rationality were obliterated. You had entered a blighted area where nature did not reside over. The instinct pops up, and you accepted a new authority; the messenger god, Atlas, the fertility god, Tenenbaum, the trickster god, Fontaine, or the head honcho, the storm god, Andrew Ryan. Rapture isn't simply a place of sin, it's a place of myth and wonder; it's a modern-day Narnia (I can't think of a fantastical place without confusing it with its real-life counterpart, WHATEVER). It probably does what other games tied to the fantasy genre do worse, which is make the player feel like a real hero (except for the ending, Je-sus moral choice systems are terrible).

So here was your flaw 2K Marin: you said Gomorrah, I say Olympus, and I would say other things if I cared to, really. Point is if you don't want your fingers to be chopped off at least use them to write a thesis paper on the game first, and it is quite valid to tell me that that it is synonymous to write a dissertation on Thomas the Train, but I rather you wouldn't.

So exactly what did you think was wrong with Bioshock 2's story...? I got lost among your metaphors.

If your problem is that the main storyline was the /only/ thing, and that you weren't a "grain of sand in a macrocosm" then I'd have to disagree. It's easy enough to just look around and see that the state of the city has changed, that the splicers have adapted and altered the environment to better survive. There are potential stories in every stray corpse you pass. Clearly the developers cared very much and put in a lot of effort to make it seem like the city was still functioning even as it was dying.

Regarding the fact that it didn't make you feel like as much of a hero... I can't say that much for fear of spoiling those who still might want to play it, but not all games are going to end with a dramatic fiery shootout. I still get teary whenever I get the good or neutral endings.

I can see why some of the games you liked were in the top 5, but out of the games I have played this year, I wouldn't have chosen Just Cause 2. I understand it is a fantastic sandbox game, but nothing else. The game had some serious flaws in the physics department. It was invigorating to jump from planes and free fall. It was fun to use the parachute...until I learned when shooting at the ground with the grappling hook after about 3000 feet of free fall was an acceptable way to land and go about your day without the parachute. On another note, the extreme ragdoll physics seem to be a little much for me, as well. The last problem I have with Just Cause 2 is the story line. It isn't very deep and it is hard to be immersed into the story without seeing some repetitive action going on. I put in hours just jumping from planes and shooting people until I shot the grappling hook at the ground.

A fantastic sandbox game! That is it.

I'm really surprised to see he liked Red Dead. His review of it and Extra Punctuation follow-up made it sound like he didn't care about it that much.

Wow....I now regret not picking up Just Cause 2 on the Steam sale, if only because I couldn't quite bring myself to buy it after experiencing (suffering through) the original Just Cause....damn!

EDIT:
Nooooo....probably not. Every retarded video of that game I saw just made me wonder why they had decided to take cartoon physics and root it in what look like a "real world" simulation. Naw, I just couldn't get over that.

I really wish Rockstar would produce RRR for the PC....ah well.....

Aw. No Mass Effect 2? Cry. Good picks on both ends though. I didn't like Dead Rising 1, but maybe I'll give 2 a try. I'm just not a fan of repetitive gameplay with no plot to make me care.

Other M, while the voice actress sucked and came off as a whiney bitch, the story resembled metroid fusion with updated graphics and the game play actually was meant to be reminescant of the older games. So saying the gameplay sucked is a copout criticism that only comes from Metroid Prime lovers... and if people complain about having to search for powers? Thats how it pretty much is in EVERY METROID GAME. Not only this but the part of the story I liked was the orgin of Ridley... Also anyone that bitches about samus speaking is talking out of their ass...so, samus as a person is unable to talk? In Metroid Fusion SHE HAD A DAMNED INNER MONOLOGUE only it was in text and thats because it was void of any voice acting at all.. Other M takes place pretty much before Metroid Fusion and after super metroid.. it explains samus' relationship with adam.

You can complain about the voice actor and the dialogue in other m (when it applies to the inaccurate personality profile of samus)...but if you complain about the story or the gameplay, either you've only played the Metroid Prime trilogy, OR you're just full of shit.

Also anyone that doesn't find Amnesia scary is either a sociopath or have aspergers...

teh_Canape:
I must be the only one who actually likes Bioshock 2

Nope, cuz I liked it too.

Bioshock 2's biggest problem was that it was a sequel to Bioshock. If it had been a stand-alone title, it would have been awesome.

Anchupom:
I'm quite disappointed that Super Meat Boy didn't make it to the top 5... Ah well, I guess Yahtzee doesn't really like platformers though.

Who'd have thought it, seeing his top 3 are sandboxes? :D

He didn't review it, so why would he include it?

RobPsyence:
Also anyone that doesn't find Amnesia scary is either a sociopath or have aspergers...

Yeah because I'm to scared to play it (even I have it on my pc) I instead watched a walkthrough on youtube and even then I was scared shitless.

I wanted Other M, but almost everything that ever existed wants me to think it sucks. I've heard serious character derailment for Samus, I've heard glitches that potentially make progressing impossible... the list goes on.

Madara XIII:

Srdjan Tanaskovic:

Lordpils:

Fair enough Team ninja had nothing to do with the story, but you wanna know what makes it sexist? How about Samus going from silent protagonist who is effectively just an asskicker to a whining emotional wreck who won't do a fucking thing until she's told it's okay. A submissive character who won't shut the fuck up and who cracks under pressure at the first sign of conflict they not only retconned Samus they retconned her into something she is the exact opposite of. Other M's story was melodramatic bullshit Metroid prime 3: Corruption had an emotional moment at the end that put every line of dialog in Other M to shame. God dammit I want to stop talking about that piece of shit!

I could go on and say tha tyou are wrong. But I will not

Actually he's correct on every aspect. At what point in any Metroid game did you see Samus unable to handle a mission? NONE! But here they decide to throw all that bravery out the window, despite the fact that this takes place after Metroid Prime 1 in which she took on Pirates, Chozo Ghosts, Giant Plants and Rocks, Genetically enhanced pirates, Metroids, Ridley (The Monster that killed her Family) and even the Ultimate Metroid. All without having to monolouge a single flippin' thing or becoming emotionally distraught and needing the comforting voice of her bastardized boyfriend to tell her it's ok.

Basically Other M, turned Samus from a Badass into a little girl. SCREW YOU TEAM NINJA!!

As Srd already said (in the post you yourself quoted), Team Ninja did the gameplay and had little to nothing to do with the story. The stuff you hated so much? Lay that squarely at the feet of Nintendo.

I find it insanely ironic that the #1 worst game is published by Square Enix as well as the #1 best game. Just Cause 2 is epic chaotic fun though!

Onyx Oblivion:
*is still in shock that Final Fantasy 13 wasn't considered his worst*

Just Cause 2 is something I can see as GOTY, though.

I did go for 100%, and then gave up around 45%. Huge game is huge.

I still liked FF13 and Bioshock 2, though.

I gave up on 100% as soon as I found a collectable at the bottom of the ocean. No I am NOT fucking kidding. The ones in the middle of the jungles are bad enough but at the bottom of the ocean? GAAAH!

Mr Companion:

Onyx Oblivion:
*is still in shock that Final Fantasy 13 wasn't considered his worst*

Just Cause 2 is something I can see as GOTY, though.

I did go for 100%, and then gave up around 45%. Huge game is huge.

I still liked FF13 and Bioshock 2, though.

I gave up on 100% as soon as I found a collectable at the bottom of the ocean. No I am NOT fucking kidding. The ones in the middle of the jungles are bad enough but at the bottom of the ocean? GAAAH!

Thank god the achievements/trophy is only for 75% completion.

i think im the only one who 100% agrees with everything yahtzee has said about bioshock 2, just by personal opinion
i loved this review!! but it only serves to make me angrier that i don't have a pas3 to play RDR!!

LIMBO should have been number 1 in your Top 5. That platform was sickeningly satisfying, even more so when introducing the game to a new player who has no idea the many ways they'll be dying next!

Seriously though, LIMBO will always be the right mixture of linear challenge and execution, and you feel good about yourself for solving the puzzle and not killing the bloke made from tissue paper (apparently).

Oh damn. I don't have any of those games. Well I think I could buy the red dead and just cause 2 if I see them on sale in somewhere.

No doubt you are my favourite reviewer on the net. Makes me laugh every week, keep up the good work for 2011.

I agree with the list as well. Being a huge fan of the FF series Final Fantasy was the worst game I've played this year.

I was pleasantly surprised by the number 1 best game.
I was amazed yet rather dissapointed when yahtzee said "just cause 2 is rather garry's mod like" because just cause 2 wasn't really customizable, unlike garrys mod, still, I'm buying just cause 2.

One thing I was confused about in a previous review was the red dead redemption one, yahtzee made a huge point of saying lots of the gameplay was minigames to try and make it so it wasn't repetitive, yet yahtzee rated it 3rd even though it was so repetitive (as said by yahtzee, I loved it)

Now Im wondering what his extra punctuation topic will be. Will it be more hilariously named awards... an explanation of his top 5 choices...I can't wait until tuesday.

Psytrese:
Seems like this whole "Top 5" was just an attempt to be different from all the other reviewers, and whilst I do generally agree that he is...looking back on his review of JuseCause2, I never got the impression that he actually enjoyed the game let alone enough to be GOTY.

Also, I can't remember which video it was on, or possibly it was an Extra Punctuation, but Yahtzee mentioned a list of games he would play again from this year. And it was more than just DeadRising and JustCause.

I believe it was assassin's creed 2 and super mario galaxy that he said he wanted to replay

Psytrese:
Seems like this whole "Top 5" was just an attempt to be different from all the other reviewers, and whilst I do generally agree that he is...looking back on his review of JuseCause2, I never got the impression that he actually enjoyed the game let alone enough to be GOTY.

Also, I can't remember which video it was on, or possibly it was an Extra Punctuation, but Yahtzee mentioned a list of games he would play again from this year. And it was more than just DeadRising and JustCause.

I believe it was assassin's creed 2 and super mario galaxy that he said he wanted to replay

I agree with everything

Red dead was wack

Antonio Torrente:

Anchupom:
I'm quite disappointed that Super Meat Boy didn't make it to the top 5... Ah well, I guess Yahtzee doesn't really like platformers though.

Kicks?
:D

Nah, it was just me wishful thinking.

StriderShinryu:

Madara XIII:

Srdjan Tanaskovic:
I could go on and say tha tyou are wrong. But I will not

Actually he's correct on every aspect. At what point in any Metroid game did you see Samus unable to handle a mission? NONE! But here they decide to throw all that bravery out the window, despite the fact that this takes place after Metroid Prime 1 in which she took on Pirates, Chozo Ghosts, Giant Plants and Rocks, Genetically enhanced pirates, Metroids, Ridley (The Monster that killed her Family) and even the Ultimate Metroid. All without having to monolouge a single flippin' thing or becoming emotionally distraught and needing the comforting voice of her bastardized boyfriend to tell her it's ok.

Basically Other M, turned Samus from a Badass into a little girl. SCREW YOU TEAM NINJA!!

As Srd already said (in the post you yourself quoted), Team Ninja did the gameplay and had little to nothing to do with the story. The stuff you hated so much? Lay that squarely at the feet of Nintendo.

Indeed. Point taken. Nintendo is responsible for destroying the persona of Samus however Team Ninja's Control layout was actually compatible in that it felt more like Metroid Zero Mission (GREAT GAME) which kind of returned Metroid to its roots.....yet the combat at times could be improved.

Anchupom:

Antonio Torrente:

Anchupom:

Kicks?

Maybe he will review it this year.

MulticolorCharizard:

Moffman:

MulticolorCharizard:
After the Kane & Lynch review it would be impossible to surprise me with your number one worst, I was however surprised with bioshock 2 over say Singularity, Alpha Protocol or Dante's Inferno.

I think it was the fact that it was not as good as the original and clearly a money spin that ticked him off :)

I can understand that, It's a cash in, and the original was enourmously superior, but as a game, nothing more, it wasnt too insulting.

Sequels have to be bigger then their predecessor. He knew all 3 of those games were gonna be bad or 'meh' before he played them. Bioshock 2 just couldn't deliver on what its big brother had already.

Because sandbox games are the shit... Except GTAIV... That is shit.

And yes the "single player" in Kane & Lynch 2 is vomit digested thrice and handed to a prostitute/hobo to suffice as a mattress for the rest of it's unspeakable lifespan.

The multiplayer however was a definite improvement on the first K&L game... Sadly it took one approach the previous game had and offered extremely limited re-playability as it had only a few maps to choose from.

Screw you Square Enix... You fail much for killing a franchise that had some chance or revival!

Also why must you play console games all the time... I believe you would have found Super Meat Boy to be much more diverse and fun than at least Limbo if not Amnesia.

Mangue Surfer:

Well, there is a great Technical improvement from SH2 to SH1...
Anyway, the SH 2 story is independent of SH1. SH2 isn't a direct sequel to the events of the first game. And thats is god because "Silent Hill 1 left no 'build-up' or really 'opening' for a sequel".

Now BS2 (sigh). No technical advances. Direct continuation without much logic. Rapture not imploded in BS1? Oh! They imploded but some part stay intact so they could roll a sequel!

And the game is all rushed. I mean, everything in BS1 even the most mundane items are carefully placed. In BS2 everything is careless spread all over the place. At some point, I was all up to the maximum, inclusive money. This not even make sense! Money is never enough!

So, explore to find the recordings don't make sense because the story is not good. Explore to find items makes no sense because you're always full of everything (including money!). The plasmids are no longer needed (except to proceed in some areas) and the dynamics of Rescue/r@pe little sisters was fuck up. You see, even if sequences like Silent hill 2 or No one lives Forever 2 had been made in a week and Bioshock 2 had taken 10 years to be done it still feels rushed in comparison.

And you know why the game was rushed? Probably because they already working on BioShock Infinite during the production of BS2. So they let the development in the hands of team B.

Bioshock 2 it's a evil hastily sequel that exist only to buy more time to develope the real sequel.

Bioshock 2 was made to make money, yes. And the original team didn't want to make it because, as they often do, they didn't want to make a habit of sequelising their games. But I don't really care about that because the "B Team" made a game with way more heart (and a WAY better ending because jesus christ Bioshock 1) and ALOT of technical improvements. You really don't see the improvements? Try COMPLETELY changing the combat by adding upgradeable abilities and dual-wielding plasmids, the artistic improvements that made every character seem like something that really would exist in that world rather than some Unreal engine mess. And I don't see how the Little Sister sequences were "fuck up" because they were expanded upon and made WAY more sense for the character in context. Why did Subject Delta kill a little sister? Because he's a faceless drone with little value for human life. Why did Bioshock 1's Protagonist kill a little sister? LOLDUNNOTHEYLOOKGROSS.

I'm not sure where this misconception that Bioshock 2 had a bad story is coming from, but then I suppose if you came into it fingers-in-ears screaming MONEYGRAB MONEYGRAB of course you wouldn't think much. But i'll say I personally cared WAY MORE one way or the other about the main characters of B2 than I did for B1.

iamultraman:
A good story is something that makes you feel good at the end, not something that utilizes a bunch of themes and morals in an attempt to be a good story.

Also that's complete bull. If you're going to say stories need you to feel good in the end, you're limiting stories so much. Ironic you'd use Macbeth as an example when that story does nothing but make you feel awful in the finale. PS, themes and morals are the base for good story, otherwise you're just tossing things at a wall and seeing what sticks.

RobPsyence:
and the game play actually was meant to be reminescant of the older games. So saying the gameplay sucked is a copout criticism that only comes from Metroid Prime lovers...

I didn't realize really bad gameplay can be excused because it plays similarly to previous titles, guess every Lara Croft game has good gameplay then, you know, since it's reminiscent of the older games...

Gameplay comes from the scenarios produced, the games flow, and the way the character controls. Simply utilizing a similar system to an old game does not make the gameplay "good" in any way. That's an absurd argument, the rest of your post is so badly written I can't even bothered to produce counter-arguments as I'm only partially certain as to what kind of point you're attempting to make...

Hyperactiveman:
Also why must you play console games all the time... I believe you would have found Super Meat Boy to be much more diverse and fun than at least Limbo if not Amnesia.

SMB is fun, but that's all it is - it provides an entertaining way to kill a small amount of free time. Amnesia and Limbo both provide a more fulfilling experience in my opinion, simply because they're experiences to remember, SMB is all about trying until you succeed and doing so quickly. The aforementioned games are far more mysterious and diverse in their puzzles and style of play. Besides which SMB IS a console game - it's Amnesia that's PC exclusive...

Antonio Torrente:

Anchupom:

Antonio Torrente:

Kicks?

Maybe he will review it this year.

I hope so.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password: