Zero Punctuation: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

XxRyanxX:
Well, to be quite honest I would actually be happy to die by that Dragon. It's epic and sick altogether. Then again I agree - it's like a "Awe, look at the Noob dieing! His first time!" kind of Achievement. It makes me feel like I am being adored like a toddler for being owned in such a way. But, you already expressed how I would feel so that's cool Yahtzee.

I also must admit - why are all the females within WoW so attractive? Like the males of the orc and other races look demented or "off" while the females are as beautiful as they come. I know it's probably to get the male's attention and make the game more interesting, just I feel it's highly unfair.. but, I shouldn't complain because I don't even own the game nor even have a WoW account/game.

Troll, Orc, Tauren, Dwarf, Gnome, Goblin females are attractive to you? Ummm ....ok....

Reveras:

XxRyanxX:
Well, to be quite honest I would actually be happy to die by that Dragon. It's epic and sick altogether. Then again I agree - it's like a "Awe, look at the Noob dieing! His first time!" kind of Achievement. It makes me feel like I am being adored like a toddler for being owned in such a way. But, you already expressed how I would feel so that's cool Yahtzee.

I also must admit - why are all the females within WoW so attractive? Like the males of the orc and other races look demented or "off" while the females are as beautiful as they come. I know it's probably to get the male's attention and make the game more interesting, just I feel it's highly unfair.. but, I shouldn't complain because I don't even own the game nor even have a WoW account/game.

Troll, Orc, Tauren, Dwarf, Gnome, Goblin females are attractive to you? Ummm ....ok....

...In a way, but I don't even own the game I just saw the posters and felt drawn in because of the Art. I am into the features and detail, but I will admit they are.. even though they are virtual beings to play as and I don't even own the Game lol. ..wait whats a Gnome? Sorry didn't know that race existed. And sorry if I offended you fellow Escapist.

Nounverber:
As someone who played WoW since "Vanilla" and just canceled his account last week, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to type that up. A lot of people won't want to hear it, for sure, but I think more than a few need to.

Well thank you man, but I suspect I'll be hearing from the people who don't want to hear about it for days.

Lazier Than Thou:

Pointless is the same thing as a waste of time. Moreover, by your own definition of "leisure" if you enjoy throwing your life away to World of Warcraft it's not a waste of time, now is it?

Yeah, but what I meant was WoW isn't pointless when you're playing it on leisure time. Time spent when you're not doing something constructive, everyone needs recreation and video games and all hobbies can pretty much fill that slot.

But you're right about the whole throwing away your life thing, if you don't care about wasting time or spending time not doing something constructive (generally work) then it doesn't matter.

Been there, done that myself back in 05-07 when I did nothing but play WoW. But now I see things differently.

Ghengis John:

You still haven't answered my question:

Blitzwing:

I find it very amusing that for all this sites bitching about how video games are blamed for every social ill that any of you would actually believe in MMO addiction.

What's that supposed to mean? Are you with the thought police? Aren't we allowed our own opinions?

I just find it hypocritical, if I said that Doom was responsible for Columbine I would be shouted down by every member of this site
But a post like yours that can be summarized, as "Boo hoo I lost my friend to an MMO" isn't met with the same response even though they have the same level of bullshit.

Turbo_ski:
The only problem I have with WoW is that in order for a new player to experience the Cataclysm content (IE new races), they have to spend $120 (Vanilla/BC bundle + Wotlk + Cata). They really need bundle vanilla/bc/wotlk all into one $40 bundle and not have WotLK at he same price as Cata.

they did prior to cata launch, don't know if it's still going now tho
think it was $5 for vanilla, $5 for TBC & $10 for WotLK

Number One: I thought he wouldn't review this game.
Number Two: I'm susrpised he likes it... Each to their own I suppose but never appealed to me in any sense of the word.
Number Three: Great review

And yes, they are all... NUMBERS!

Blitzwing:
I just find it hypocritical, if I said that Doom was responsible for Columbine I would be shouted down by every member of this site
But a post like yours that can be summarized, as "Boo hoo I lost my friend to an MMO" isn't met with the same response even though they have the same level of bullshit.

Well, did you say Doom was responsible for Columbine? I don't recall shouting anybody down for saying Doom was responsible for Columbine or anything like that? I mean did I? I don't think I did. Because if not, what's your problem? Why so upset? And how's that make me a hypocrite? You're taking shit out on me I've got nothing to do with. Get over it man.

As for Doom and columbine/Wow and wasted time, two totally different issues. Dunno how you drew the connection. You're talking about addiction vs violent behavior. The day some dude marches into the Safeway and starts cutting down people with a replica of Frostmourne while shouting "FOR THE HORDE!" maybe we'll have a chat then. I would come down on the side that says isolated wacko but i wouldn't shout. I'm not boo-hooing, and I didn't lose any friends to an MMO. I didn't see that anywhere. Anyhow, ultimately I left them. As for saying bullshit, well sometimes it's all about how you sell it.

If you made an eloquent and thoughtful post, I wouldn't shit on it even if I disagreed.

I do not raid for numbers nor items. I raid to see the content and to experience the encounters. The numbers and gear are a means to an end and not other way around. But then again, there is an awful amount of loot whores out there.

I'm amused how many people think Yahtzee liked this game.

Nnnnnn...

Don't agree with the numbers thing. Ultimately, all RPGs (and free-roam AA games for that matter) are about the numbers aren't they. Longest range, highest damage, armour rating etc etc, I'd be surprised if there was a game where that *wasn't* fully emphasized.

Just me?

Well this is something I didn't expect

and I raid for fun. What are you going to do about that Yahtzee?

Pfft, why should I buy your book when I all ready did :p

I loved it by the way XD it was amazingly good and you have actually written some of my favorite quotes ever, though I don't think you need to hear from me about how awesome you are. XD

WOPR:

Wow you're projecting/assuming

I didn't say it should be free at all

what I said (if you could read properly without assuming) was that the reason WoW can afford the constant patches is because it makes more then all other MMO's put togeather

sheash

also the statement "great game" is arguable, being an opinion I obviously don't share.

Unfortunately with nothing but internet posts to draw back on, I have to assume, since I am not getting a lot of information.
And WoW is great, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that it's not great. 13 million players cannot be wrong. Even if a few of them play it out of sheer boredom.
Same reason why Mass Effect 2 is a great game, the reviews are all shockingly positive, the amount that it has sold is quite high, that means it's great. I don't like Mass Effect 2, but my personal opinion does not sway from the FACT that it's great.

And it's popularity does mean that they can afford a bigger development team for constant updates, but they have been doing updates since day 1, when they did not have 13 million subscribers. The reason they got more and more subscribers is (partly) because of their never ending and frequent updating, MMO's that get released and barely ever receive an update (or too late), are usually doomed to fail. Regardless of the size of the starting player-base (Age of Conan for instance). So yes, WoW is great. Blizzard is great. I am sorry if that does not fit in your perspective on life.

KazOondo:
I swear, if there's one thing that actually might get me to stop playing WoW it's all the hate I get for preferring the Alliance. Someone want to tell me what the fugg is wrong with the Alliance? You don't ever see us going around rubbing our balls in the faces of people who prefer the Horde, so you can't say it's because we're immature when that's what every Hordie and his mum seems to do.

Maybe they just find the Alliance to be too mundane :P

With that said, I was a proud blood elf warlock :D

As an avid WoW player, even I'll admit that everything he said was true and I loved this video so much it literally hurt to watch. I was laughing too hard.

And I already have Mogworld! Stop plugging it!!!

samaugsch:

KazOondo:
I swear, if there's one thing that actually might get me to stop playing WoW it's all the hate I get for preferring the Alliance. Someone want to tell me what the fugg is wrong with the Alliance? You don't ever see us going around rubbing our balls in the faces of people who prefer the Horde, so you can't say it's because we're immature when that's what every Hordie and his mum seems to do.

They don't call us mundane. They call us faggots, losers, immature, or unskilled. The more vocal part of the Horde community is snide, smug, extremely cruel and insensitive, and obviously anything but mature. They try to make it seems SOOOOO important what faction you choose to play. This video should serve as a welcome reminder that no matter how entertaining Yahtzee is, he's still a soulless douchebag.

KazOondo:
This video should serve as a welcome reminder that no matter how entertaining Yahtzee is, he's still a soulless douchebag.

But at least he's not Alliance.

I kid, I kid.

Kneel:

KazOondo:
This video should serve as a welcome reminder that no matter how entertaining Yahtzee is, he's still a soulless douchebag.

But at least he's not Alliance.

I kid, I kid.

Ehhhh, I appreciate a running gag.

I was surprised to see this actually. Especially more so when it came out over Donkey Kong and Fable. (And Layton and Golden Sun.)

Moreso when he then claimed there were no other games out then XD

KazOondo:

Naw, I've seen a ridiculous amount of dickishness on both sides of WoW; I just prefer the Horde aesthetic (well, barring the Forsaken).

Great ZP, incidentally. Can't fault anything that was said (for the record I'm a husband/father who's played since beta in 2004 and raided regularly in Molten Core, Karazhan and the entire of WotLK).

Oh World of Warcraft, how you ruined my young adult life. Thank goodness I got out while I could. Good review, as always, but in essence didn't Yahtzee just some up all MMORPGs with his statement about numbers? Also Mogworld is THE BEST fantasy novel I've read all year. If you haven't read it yet, I suggest you do so. If your having trouble finding it, ask the clerks to order you a copy. Or buy online.

KazOondo:

samaugsch:

KazOondo:

They don't call us mundane. They call us faggots, losers, immature, or unskilled. The more vocal part of the Horde community is snide, smug, extremely cruel and insensitive, and obviously anything but mature. They try to make it seems SOOOOO important what faction you choose to play. This video should serve as a welcome reminder that no matter how entertaining Yahtzee is, he's still a soulless douchebag.

I just picked Horde instead of Alliance because I wanted an intimidating character and felt that Horde was better at accomplishing this than the Alliance. However, I made the mistake of picking a pcp server and thus was a frequent victim of stupidly high lvl Alliance players. The rogues pissed me off the most because you'll just be sitting there, minding your own business when Bam! Some rogue appears behind you right after one hit killing you. Since you never see him coming, it happens seemingly randomly. Thankfully, I eventually learned to summon felhunters (minions that grant you the paranoia ability) to hopefully discourage some rogues from attempting to sneak up on me. I assume that Alliance players have to deal with this exact same problem so I don't hate Alliance particularly.

samaugsch:

KazOondo:

samaugsch:

I just picked Horde instead of Alliance because I wanted an intimidating character and felt that Horde was better at accomplishing this than the Alliance. However, I made the mistake of picking a pcp server and thus was a frequent victim of stupidly high lvl Alliance players. The rogues pissed me off the most because you'll just be sitting there, minding your own business when Bam! Some rogue appears behind you right after one hit killing you. Since you never see him coming, it happens seemingly randomly. Thankfully, I eventually learned to summon felhunters (minions that grant you the paranoia ability) to hopefully discourage some rogues from attempting to sneak up on me. I assume that Alliance players have to deal with this exact same problem so I don't hate Alliance particularly.

It's to be expected on a PVP server. I haven't spent much time on a server like that, but I'd always imagined the constant danger of being ambushed or ganked was a big part of what made them fun. Gotta' choose a server where the sides are relatively even numbered, though.

Kneel:

KazOondo:

Naw, I've seen a ridiculous amount of dickishness on both sides of WoW; I just prefer the Horde aesthetic (well, barring the Forsaken).

Great ZP, incidentally. Can't fault anything that was said (for the record I'm a husband/father who's played since beta in 2004 and raided regularly in Molten Core, Karazhan and the entire of WotLK).

I'm envious, really. I've only played for about a year and a half, and it was pretty obvious by the time I got going there was a lot I'd missed out on.

This comic on nerfnow is an abridged version of the review:

http://nerfnow.com/comic/450

"honestly, fuck the Alliance" :D!!

I have been waiting for a rip on wow for so long!

Hey Yathzee, Gratz.

Supp:
Maybe next he'll actually at least try playing SC2...

:(

We can hope, but it's not very likely. As one of the few games with competitive multiplayer that isn't:
A) Forcing you to depend on other people who could be idiots.
B) Destined to become a wasteland a year after release.
C) Imbalanced.
D) Stuck with a poor quality or even random matching system.
... it would be a really good intro to enjoyable competitive multiplayer for him.

It's also pretty much the only RTS thats really worth playing more than just to see how the campaign ends. In fact SC2's campaign plot is mediocre at best, and has too many ret-cons and inconsistencies for any real fan of the series to abide.

KazOondo:
I'm amused how many people think Yahtzee liked this game.

He ended up playing for like three months at a time at one point so obviously he enjoys it to a certain extent.

Stabby Joe:
That's a lot of responses from people who clearly haven't watch it.

Since I actually did however I've got a question... how does the expansion impact those who don't have it? I haven't played in a few months and am now wondering when I do I'll be on top of a mountain or beneath a whole new town.

Also, Dwarves are the only Alliance race worth playing as haha!

The changes to the original content you get for free - its a patch. But without the Cataclysm expansion you cannot play the new races or level beyond 80, or visit the BRAND new areas that are 80+

If you just own vanilla wow then you get all the revised content of the old world, but are limited to 60 levels.

Lazier Than Thou:

Swifteye:

Lazier Than Thou:
Are a collection of gamers seriously here to complain about a single type of game that "has no purpose?" Seriously?

Let me see if I can make this as abundantly clear as possible. Games are pointless. All of them. Some you might feel a more emotional attachment to above others because of superior gameplay, story telling, atmosphere or any other trivial thing that DOES NOT MATTER. Has any game cured hunger? Has any game saved a human life? Has any game cured a disease, ended a famine, or created a new species? Has any game done ANYTHING OF SIGNIFICANCE? No. They're all(ALL) about wasting time. About enjoyment, having fun. They're about making your boring, unfulfilled life feel a little less boring, a little less unfulfilled. If a game has done that, it has served its purpose.

Simply put, if you're going to say that FPS games are in any way less "about numbers" than an MMO, you're doing nothing but kidding yourself about your pathetic life.

Now, I have to go back to ignoring my pathetic life by killing some imaginary monsters in an imaginary universe that will do no more good for the real world than if I had done the EXACT SAME THING in a different imaginary universe.

I think they mean purpose within the game. Maybe i'm completely wrong by using this example but I will anyways. I knew a guy who liked to play games. He's really good at it too. He shows off this one game he likes to play which was a standard jrpg. Well the whole time he was playing it he basically skipped through all the cutscenes and plot developments and everything. You might say because he knows it all and doesn't want to watch the scenes again but upon asking him what the plot is he says he doesn't remember. So why does he play it? Because he likes all the combos he gets to pull off and the high damage he does to the enemy AI.
Now you may see nothing wrong with that but for me I thought it was completely empty to play a game that's supposed to have a story for everything but that. The problem that's percieved in WoW is that instead of having interesting situations talking to colorful people and experiencing a well woven and immersive story line your just on fetch quest and item gathering missions so you can afford more fetch quest and be able to go on more item gathering missions.
You can get much more from that such as friends and of course there has to be the occasional story line and cutscene and after hours and hours of searching and wandering around the world you could get absorbed in it all but from a laymans point of view it just seems like a game without a real purpose.

My point is not that World of Warcraft has more or less purpose behind it than any other. I'm saying that ALL games are equally without purpose. If you're unwilling to allow another person receiving enjoyment from doing what they're doing to mean purpose, then that disqualifies all means of receiving enjoyment. It doesn't matter if that enjoyment comes from working together with real people to meet a goal or using information to become the best at what you do.

Your friend sounds like a person that enjoys puzzles, but puzzles in specific ways. Taking the operating rules before him, he does his best to optimize his output. Is that wrong? Is that enjoyment wrong? Is that beneath your enjoyment of friends and storyline? Is his desire to perfect a craft(all be it an utterly worthless one) somehow inferior to your desire to accomplish a goal with friends? Moreover, who are you to judge?

In the final analysis, games are utterly without purpose beyond the enjoyment they grant. If people find enjoyment from maximizing their abilities in a game, how is that different from enjoying a storyline excepting that the storyline is given to you with no requirements on your part while maximization requires intellectual/dexterous effort?

I don't know. I just wanted to present you with that perspective/opinion when thinking about what you said. I'm not really judging anyone I'm just thinking and feeling.

one of us! One of us! One Of us! One Of Us!

Your raiding friend raidtard. He is one of those assholes who thinks he is top shit because his gear has a few more number on them than other people. Raiding is supposed to be about the challenge of downing a boss and getting 10/25 people to work together in an epic battle.

on a personal note, I was happy as shit that he also played as an undead mage.

He hit the bit about Worgen start-zone content being shit right on the head. Sure there's a half-hearted attempt to create drama by showing the sad evacuation of a cursed and doomed city, but it's fucking BORING! And you can't escape it to do fun stuff - you have to slog through the whole damn thing in order just to get the hell out! I was so immensely pissed when I saw the videos of the goblin starting zone that I wanted to choke myself and Blizzard.

Let's see..... do you want explosions, rockets, parachutes, more explosions, action and humor, or do you want a dreary rainy gray muddy slog from point A to point B?

"Toeyboff" is my new favourite word.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or