The Big Picture: Magneto Was Right

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 17 NEXT

ImpostorZim:
That's something I love about Magneto. Especially in the film adaptations, because the writers make it so hard for you to actually hate him. Anyone whose never fit in, or has been hated for reasons that were beyond their ability to change, can really empathize with the mutants and understands where Magneto is coming from. Hell, I know who I was rooting for when I watched X-Men for the first time.

Well in the first movie, Magneto plan ain't actually evil. His plan was to make the leader of the world mutant in the hope it would shift the balance of power toward the mutants. Not exactly vilaneous except he was too stuborn to recongnize his machine has deadly and the fact he was willing to kill Rogue just so he wouldn't die.

Still let us remember he was willing to kill billions in the sequel when he saw the opportunity arise

Also the way he's written very inconsistent in general

I'd still pick Xavier for the same reason I believe in progressive taxation and centre-left politics: My happening to be born with more wealth, power, or inherent ability is pretty much the lottery of birth.

I'm American, which means I'm not guaranteed anything close to the same comforts that, say, a Frenchman is*, but that's just coincidence.

Does Solid Snake think he deserves a higher place in society because he's a great soldier? No, he understands that not everyone can, or should, be a good soldier, and that a good deal of his ability comes from being a clone of the greatest soldier ever, Big Boss, who himself learned most of his stuff from The Boss.

Much of our place in the world is inherited: race, sexuality, wealth, physical features, diseases, eye color, etc. The rest is decided almost purely by chance. The fact that I'm here
posting in this forum right now instead of posting in a LiveJournal is again, chance. The fact that I deeply love a medium that most no one else understands is chance. I'm not going to blame people, I blame the lottery itself, and, at the same time, I know my Serenity prayer.**

Thus, if I were born with incredible powers, I would use them for "good", that is, I would use them to fight for what I thought was right, or, lacking powers that help me only in combat, would use other powers to directly help people. Not because it's necessarilly what I want, no, what I would want, probably, would be some permutation on revenge, but out of duty to decency.

*Actually, I'm the son of a 25-year Air Force veteran, so I do get a pretty sweet health deal. It really does cover everything. Demand the public option from your congressperson now!

**Just for note: New Atheist.

I would be on the side of protecting mankind. I know looking at my slf I generalyl talk evil... and I've got a pretty good manaical laugh but when it came down to blood and who would suffer I couldn't partake in any.

I know the feeling of wanting vengeance on bullies as much as anyone who has ever been bullied, but the fact of the matter is, even if we did have superhuman abilities with which to get our revenge, You CAN'T fight violence with more violence, it just turns into an endless spiral of revenge and destruction, at some point SOMEONE has to be the bigger man and just stop.

First of BOB thank you for your honesty.
I can imagine only one cause for war where I could pick a side (Well two if Poland would have declared war to the world right after WW2 I would have sided with them), otherwise only a war where machines learned to think. Now I don't believe machines by definition won't ever be able to think. But if they could I would join their side to eradicate all of humanity (myself eventually included.)
Otherwise I refuse taking a side in a war based on the cause. Depending on your point of view pretty much any reason can be understood. The only criteria I have for choosing sides in a war is the way a side fights it. Pretty much any cause can be justified, but only very few means can be. So if Magneto will only attack soldiers and military complex, but the human side starts killing young mutants before they can evolve. Then I would fight for magneto regardless if I was a mutant or not.
I can't say I was really bullied a lot, well a bit during first year of highschool. But I would base my decision on something like that. If I would pick my side based on my supposed Superiority, then I wouldn't go for any revenge. Revenge makes you fall to the level of the people you commit vengeance on, or make you even fall further.
By the way Bill Gates is hated because he is in fact an asshole, anybody who work(s/ed) for the guy agreed. Look at the guy who runs apple, he is popular isn't he? Though he is at least just as smart as Bill Gates, earned a fortune of the same order of magnitude by the same advantage, having superior technology.
And about the whole I join Magneto because I was bullying thing. First of my god you guys are a sad bunch. Really man killing people for bullying, how pathetic is that? It happens children / teenagers/ sick adults bully deal with it!
I've been on the entire side of the spectrum of bullying. I've been bullied, I bullied, I've stood there watched, I've been to the guy I bullied and apologized (and not because the teacher told me so) and I stood next to the guy being bullied and sad fuck you! And I'm not ashamed that I've done either of these things. (Granted that you could only be ashamed for the last two if you didn't start early enough to do them). Children and teenagers still have learn what is socially right and wrong. They make mistakes. Or sometimes they are just not strong enough to not join in, or not do it. Bullying is a result of this. Yeah it isn't pretty, but it is human. It's an aspect of humanity that should be fought against, but also needs to be accepted as a stain on our species that will always be present. (Which I would join the robots if they actually manage to get their own free will, I would rid humanity of it stains by exterminating it, and give the planet to a will without stains.
I do believe in the Uber-Mensch though. Mind you that's not the Uber-race, some humans are just plain better then others in anyway that matters. Sucks for them, that they need to put up with us stupidheads.

A thought:

You say that the driving force behind bullying of racially different people is obvious: racism. But what is racism, exactly? With liberal arts college a thing of that past, I thought I'd never want to hear that question again. But if the answer has less to do with hating a group for that group's actual physical characteristics and more to do with hating a group just because hating feels good, then we get a much clearer picture of why nerds are targeted along with everybody else.

My theory: people have a variety of instinctive needs, and one of those is the need to feel important. But we're not all important; we can't all be important. So everybody looks for some way to feel consequential in their short time on this earth, and something the results look a little scary. The scariest might be full-blown psychotic breakdown and delusions of grandeur, but much more common is simple us-versus-them hating. Attaching your identity to a distinctive group and hating some other distinctive group is part of the construction of a personal narrative in which the hater is somehow superior, and thus important.

If that's true, then why do certain groups get targeted and not others? Is gay-bashing actually driven by sincerely-held superstitions? I don't think so. The one thing that all major targets have in common is that they can't stand up for themselves very well, and nobody else will stand up for them; picking on them is easy. If you were a protestant in public school and started visibly picking on Catholics, you'd risk a country-wide backlash. Increasingly, that's true (but only sort of) of racial minorities, and kind-of-sort-of-ish-but-not-really of homosexuals. But who stands up for nerds? Nobody. The kid with the glasses getting his head flushed down the toilet is a stock image in the American mind. We're not bound together through any big central organization, and must of us just want to be left alone most of the time. It's taken for granted that we get hurt and just need to deal with it.

i'd be chaotic good i'd save the world from villains but would use evil methods (torture, mind-control, hacking the villains facebook acount ect.) to get what i need

I like how you think that all homophobia stems from religious bigotry. That's just adorable.

That said, a lot of geeks have noted that The Incredibles is more or less Watchmen-lite, and I think it fits. Not that it diminishes it, though.

Rowling also Deconstructed (in the TV Tropes sense) the idea of the changeling fantasy. Welcome to the Wizarding World, kid. Not only does it have a lot of the same problems as the real world, but you'll receive lots of unwanted attention for something you can't even remember. Oh, and there's a sociopath magic-Hitler and his followers out to kill you. Have fun!

You're using Jersey Shore and My Name is Earl as examples of lionized stupidity? The former is arguably just a show that seems like it should be on sister network VH1, which cheerfully portrays people being idiots on reality shows (with tongue firmly in cheek). Heck, they regularly mock their own programming. The later made fun of its main character's idiocy at every turn. Ironic that you seem to be projecting yourself.

MelasZepheos:
Magneto was a terrorist who in every continuity of he X-Men save for the recent cartoons (even in the old ones he killed, it was just off-screen) is a mass murderer on the genocidal level. To say you agree with Magneto is literally like saying you agree with minority group terrorists, because that's what he is. That's what the writers intend for you to see him as, a Well-Intentioned Extremist who has taken his own dogma so thoroughly to heart that he believes he is entirely justified in killing normal people and imposing his worldvew on everyone.

Educate yourself.

Same side as I'm on now: My own side.

The whole "Hero" or "Villain" side both have several points that annoy me. Like the jocks and nerds side thing. Both sides have so many things that annoy me that simply sticking with the best of both worlds has been how I got around.

I never really was targeted in high school due to the fact I was voted for most likely to get angry and kill people. All while looking like your average jock. So yeah, you can call my case a weird one. ' -' Though I suppose my story isn't the same as everyone else's. As much as I'd wish it were. =(

I have to agree with your team choice bob, I really dont have tolerance for many people, and I can usually guess how someone act by watching them. its rare I meet anyone worth chatting with

Intellectuals are demonised as adults? Really? I mean, hate to say it, but in the UK Stephen Hawking, Richard Dawkins, Stephen Fry and Dr Who seem to be just about the most popular people in the world right now, even amongst the "ignorant people".

I hate to say it, but this is probably an America-specific situation. All of the media and reports I get from those who live there make it seem like a really backwards place, almost like a wealthy country with a third world mentality and mindset, which seems pretty dangerous to me.

As for school bullying, it's not because you're different. People hate what they don't understand. Maybe that makes them ignorant, but if you appear to be outside of their general area of knowledge, they aren't going to understand, and will lash out at it, especially when they are as mentally undeveloped as schoolchildren are. I found bullying reduced to almost a complete stop in my school year at around the ages of 15 for boys, and 17 for girls (I think this is due to natural female competition more than brain development, before anyone flames me). In a full circle, it works out that geeky, intelligent men are more attractive, sexually, and emotionally, as they represent stability, comfort and safety. Go figure

Superiority is an illusion. Talent is skill developed by experience you unconsciously focus on, but time and memory are finite things, what makes us different is not the amount of talent any of us have, but what we choose to spend our time doing, thinking, and dreaming about. Even if we lived in a universe with mutant powers, I assume developing a mutant power and gaining the skill to wield it would be a trade off for time spent gaining other abilities. Which might explain why badass-normals in comic books are so ridiculously skillful.

The strong gain their power by training, the smart gain their intellect by studying. Perhaps some of these traits are preordain, but each are merely attributes; as much an asset as a detriment. We wouldn't be the people we are today without both the qualities we think of as advantages and disadvantages. The same is true for the elites, who are equally motivated to run to great achievements as they are motivated at running away from their great flaws.

Even if I am completely wrong in believing that "everyone is equal" it's still a better axiom then the alternative, as it keeps me from being overconfident or overwhelm. What one man can do another man can do, but I must never underestimate my opponents.

Besides, if you had Xavier's mind control powers wouldn't you try convincing the world you are on everyone's side? Come on, let's all work together, human and mutant, to defeat the true foe: those immune to my mind control powers! Muhahaha!

You seem to exaggerate a bit Bob. Keep in mind the foundation of Magneto's anger for humanity isn't just he's treated differently but he's a Jew who survived the Holocaust and knows the extent of human hatred. I was bullied all the way up till high school but honestly those who spend their time belittling and bullying others usually don't amount to much.

And I really can't recall a time when Bill Gates was demonized over MJ. Both had/have talents they use to be successful. Bill utilized his mind while MJ kept his body in a physical condition that allowed him to be successful. Not everyone's meant to be a scientist and not everyones meant to be an all star athlete.

You make it seem as if the world holds a disdain for Gates who's worked hard, and cherishes Jordan with little or no effort on his part.

If science does prove you're superior to the rest of the world, you have every right to let it show. And teach those bastards who they were messing with.

I don't know...
Magneto's still a bit of a murderer and what not, as are most of his followers. I reckon I'd lone wolf it, occasionally helping Picard, though never outright joining him.

Any human that abused me would pretty much get it, though.

The end question only gives two options of which team to join. Should the mutant join the X-Men/debate team or the Brotherhood/goth scene (those are the high school metaphor parallels that I saw, anyway).

I wouldn't want to join a team. If I had powers, I would keep that shit to myself.

I probably wouldn't be strictly good or evil... That's over-simplifying.

I've seen enough of the bad to know I want to shield others from it. I'd be curious to know just how terrible your upbringing was. There's nothing wrong with self defense but projecting your childhood bullies on the faces of everyone you meet (who may hold superficial similarities) can't be healthy.

MichaelMaverick:
I'm seriously considering that I'll stop watching this piss. I've disagreed with Bob on numerous occasions before, but The Big Picture is like a newly-grown tumor on his brain. I can understand the bitterness and overall disinclination from society, but the sheer egotism in this episode was unparalleled to anything I've ever seen in regards to nerd culture.

Bob, you and I and most other people weren't bullied in school because we're different/special/"superior" - it's often part of the reason, but what makes others bully you is the social factor. It's also the reason for why they CAN bully you in the first place - you're not a part of any real social circle, or the one or two friends you do have are shite. And hand in hand together with that goes the fact that you're psychologically weak. You may lull yourself with the comforting thought of your superior intellect if you want to, Bob, but answer me this: does he who is really so goddamn smart allow himself to be continually bullied? Of course not! Again, it's comforting to think that the world is divided into the big bad jocks and the oppressed but good nerds, but back then at least it was the other way around - you were the idiot, and they were smart. Smart and consciously evil to some extent. They started bullying you because they identified the psychological weakness and thus an opportunity for entertainment, and kept going at it because they knew you wouldn't fight back.
I'd be willing to bet my life that this is how it was with at least 95% of us.

AND WE ALL FUCKING DESERVED IT.

Bob didn't say he was superior, he just said that most nerds have a fantasy of being superior. To very different concepts. Also, no one deserves to be bullied.

Nerds are picked on because they are often socially awakrd and unware of social norms, as well the fact they seem an easy target. SOmetimes the intelect inspires jealously, but the smart kids who are also skilled socially and know when to fight back avoid 90% of this, and are able to handle the rest. I envied that kid who was as smart as me, good at pe AND skilled socially. And was a kickass artist. Maybe envy played a small roll in it, but fittin in mattered more. If you stuck out you could be a target. It sickens me those teachers or parents who tell you to enver fight back, though, being defneseless makes it much worse. I have so much resenetment towards my mom cause of this.... I dont know wha tot tell her. Though I should probably leave it in the past.

Anyway if I had powers I admit i would briefly take some revenge on those who tormeneted me (not killing htem or anything just making them feel the way they made me feel), feel guilty, relfect on cycle of vioelnce blah blah, then go join the xmen, and use my powers to fight against super powered bullies like Magneto and his brotherhood of thugs.

I troll trolls, who are pretty much like online bullies, though i make sure not to do it "for the lolz" and only to repel them. And I do make a poitn to cofnront cliques and stuff online, and users bullying newer users. The cycle is quite scary....

Hatred and evil only creates more of the same. Its how many bullies learnt their ways in the first place.

Were I bullied, I admit, I may choose the Magneto side. But I don't know the discomfort, I actually play both sides of the Geek/Nerd/Dork Vs. "Normals", as a crosslink. I'm perfectly able to operate on both sides, and even invite things from both to the other. You'd be surprised how many "normals" know at least a bit about nerd culture, and aren't apposed to it.

I can be your bridge, children. But you must tear down the walls, first.

(But if I were to have a superpower, I'd have to go with... aw, I don't wanna do something too big, so... Ooh! How about reduced gravity? So I can jump like ten feet, and climb fast, and won't die from falling? Oh, and extended lifespan, just because that first one is a bit tame. 900, tops. Methuselah lived longer.)

I can't choose between Patrick Stewart or Ian McKlellan so I'll mercenary for both sides.

Damn it, Bob!
Get out of my head!!!

I now have a better understanding of why Bob's tastes and my own coincide so much: We share a relatively high number of experiences growing up.

that last question really struck me...
congratulations, sir bob... you have blown my mind.

Wandering_Hero:
Nerds are picked on because they are often socially awakrd and unware of social norms, as well the fact they seem an easy target. SOmetimes the intelect inspires jealously, but the smart kids who are also skilled socially and know when to fight back avoid 90% of this, and are able to handle the rest. I envied that kid who was as smart as me, good at pe AND skilled socially. And was a kickass artist. Maybe envy played a small roll in it, but fittin in mattered more. If you stuck out you could be a target. It sickens me those teachers or parents who tell you to enver fight back, though, being defneseless makes it much worse. I have so much resenetment towards my mom cause of this.... I dont know wha tot tell her. Though I should probably leave it in the past.

Hatred and evil only creates more of the same. Its how many bullies learnt their ways in the first place.

My wife is just now getting the hang of fighting back when confronted with aggression due to her parents pacifistic upbringing. My mom tried that with me but it just never took. I got picked on a lot in Elementary and a little in Junior HS by the time I learned how to take care of myself I never heard another word or had unwarranted aggression in my direction. It never hurt that I have a very aggressive Personality myself and don't wilt under pressure.

I really agree with that last line. Its an idea that's repeated so often that's it almost cliche but no less poignant.

Being born with a onesided cleft lip and palate (or harelip as it's called), I looked WEIRD as a kid. And other kids, complete strangers could come up to me and start picking on me for just looking weird. Imagine playing soccer as a 10 year old, and someone you have never ever met before just comes up to you and starts picking on you. That's my childhood.

Fuck normal people, they suck.

danpascooch:

SuperMse:
Or could bullying result from, not the nerd's superiority, but the belief that he or she is superior? Children are judged through the age of eighteen largely on intellect, and so if one exceeds in that, it may bloat his or her ego. Given that the child's social order is rarely so intelligence-based, the kid may grab onto his or her mental prowess as the one thing that defines him or her. When confronted about a lack of physical aptitude, the child will bring up his or her brainpower, effectively bragging about being smarter than the bullies. This, in turn, will earn ire by bullies who see a person who thinks that he or she is better than them. At least, that was my case. Then I realized that while, yes, I was quite skilled in critical thinking, that did not mean that I was at the top of my game, nor that being adept in other areas, such as physical capability, was necessarily worse than being smart. I learned that someone can be a good, kind, contributing member of society without being a brainiac. And I stopped waving my ego around like some insecure asshole. I relaxed. I almost immediately stopped being bullied. So, yeah, to each his own. "Better" is objective, Bob.

First off, Bob didn't say the nerds were ACTUALLY better, in fact he says largely the opposite, that we need to stop thinking that.

But in the scenario you brought up, aren't they picking on the kid for being physically inept BEFORE he defends himself by bringing up his intellect? How can something that happens AFTER be the cause?

First off, I don't dislike Bob. I just disagree with him at points (like his viewpoints on Other M). And while he acknowledged that the nerd superiority complex may largely be mental, he did opt for supporting a separatist, superiority based group in the end. Magneto and the Brotherhood are largely mutant supremacists after all. This would seem to indicate that Bob wants nerds to follow through on their feelings of being better, even if they are unfounded. While understanding that it was likely a hyperbolic example, I can't fully condone that.

Second, can the nerd not be picked on for multiple reasons? Can it not start out as bullying because of being weak and then intensify because the kid defended himself by claiming to be better than his or her assailants? Additionally, the sense of superiority may be self-garnered. Tell me, when a child does not exceed at the typical play activities of children but rather at school and video games, might he or she not grab onto that skill as a defense mechanism, lording it above everyone else in an "Oh yeah? Well, I'm smarter than you!" fashion? It could happen- it did to me. I'm not saying that the bullies don't have their own problems, but egging them on is probably not the best idea.

Mutants of the X-men are more evolved than normal humans. According to Darwin's theory of natural selection, and even the modern theory of evolution, organisms that have traits that are beneficial to survival will survive and reproduce. These superior being will take charge. From a purely scientific, objective standpoint, the mutants should rule; this does not account for the human factor and morality. Is it morally right for more advanced beings to make other beings submit to them and even kill them? Is it even done to a certain degree in our society? To be honest, I would probably side with the X-Men. Even though I am picked on as much as the next outcast, I don't hold to much resentment towards those who harass me. I might be angry for a short period of time, but I'll get over. Maybe it is just my massive inferiority complex convincing myself that it is somehow my fault. Maybe its because I am a big believer in freewill and all should share that gift. I can say that I would most likely side with the X-Men. However, if I was presented with the opportunity to be a more advanced being, I don't know what I would actually do.

Are those my only choices?

Like you I never really bought into the idea that bullying's all persecution due beat down the superior. If anything, the last few years have made me think about how lame persecution pcomplexes can be as blacks couldn't take a criticism of Obama as anything but racism and Sarah Pailin started going off like all her bad press was aliberal conspiracy. It's just stupid to think that people are targeting you specifically. Rather bullies (actually most people) have the need to be superior and take the laziest way to get there. For some that involves beating down things that can't or won't fight back. It their minds they're tough. In mind, they're cowards (with a joke about what exactly they're overcompensating for with all the violence or ranting).

That last bit said, if I had to chose I'd go X-Men, because I have this thing about behaving like the jerks I hate (and frankly think Magneto did more overall damage to his position with the whole terrorist thing) but would rather just be. Sadly, civilian in Genoshia isn't an option in the comics right now.

Emergent System:
Not like Magneto's team of mistifts were any different from the same morons they targeted for their revenge, they were simply more powerful... if anything, Magneto exemplifies the 'bullied = bully' thrope, which is just the best example you can imagine of a neverending circle of reardation.

The main problem I have is that in real life if X-men existed there would be no rebellion because everyone would fucking love to be a mutant. I mean look at today's differences, sexuality, race, skin color, none of this really different from each other, it's not the equivalent of a fucking super power for example. Now for black people you have to not only be extra sensitive to them about race they also are cool automatically, that's what real life X-men would be like.

I wouldn't be on anyone's side. Too bad that only gets me the Omar ending...

considering I am in therapy just from the crap I took from bullys in school if I was a mutant I would be down right homicidal
so yea I would also side with Magneto

hyperlasers:
A thought:

You say that the driving force behind bullying of racially different people is obvious: racism. But what is racism, exactly? With liberal arts college a thing of that past, I thought I'd never want to hear that question again. But if the answer has less to do with hating a group for that group's actual physical characteristics and more to do with hating a group just because hating feels good, then we get a much clearer picture of why nerds are targeted along with everybody else.

Sadly my best guess is that it is a Genetic Trait (Bigotry). Probably helped with that whole Natural Selection/Survival of the Fittest thing. It obviously has no place in the Modern World but old traits take a long time to die off.

its not in my nature to be bad even if the person was a douchebag

Sentox6:

MelasZepheos:
Magneto was a terrorist who in every continuity of he X-Men save for the recent cartoons (even in the old ones he killed, it was just off-screen) is a mass murderer on the genocidal level. To say you agree with Magneto is literally like saying you agree with minority group terrorists, because that's what he is. That's what the writers intend for you to see him as, a Well-Intentioned Extremist who has taken his own dogma so thoroughly to heart that he believes he is entirely justified in killing normal people and imposing his worldview on everyone.

Educate yourself.

First things first: Low content post, and vaguely offensive (inferring I am uneducated in the matter).

To the point.

Magento is a fascist, and nothing I saw in that article, or in his entire comic book history, negates that belief. Interestingly what Magneto is is not the view of fascism that the world holds today (which is in fact National Socialism=fascism) but his is closer to true fascism.

'Genocide or acts of war' is a term of semantics and personal philosophy, because in the end what is war and what is not? Is the War on Terror a war in the same way that World War II was? No, no two armies meeting on battlefields for the continuance of democracy, but a war has been declared on terrorists, thus any terrorists that do want to carry out the annihilation of the Western world (and there are some extremists who would go that far) are not by the definitions of the argument planning to commit genocide. Heck, the US declared the war themselves, they gave it the legitimacy of an act of war instead of the heinous act of genocide.

Comic books are not the real world, and any attempt to apply to them real world terms and problems is usually a mistake. Comic books necessarily exist in a space in wich every storyline has closure in the grand sense. They may not tie each loose thread but the plot ends where the story ends. Life is not like that, the genocides Magneto has committed can be safely locked away in a box because it's in a weird comic book limbo that wouldn't immediately execute him for his crimes. There have been trials for 60-80 year old men found 40 to 60 years after the Second World War for the crimes they committed, yet Magneto walks scot free after killing thousands. The term genocide really means nothing in the comic book world, when it can be considered a good day when you exterminate an entire alien species.

To see this best illustrated, the Marvel Ultimate universe, perhaps the greatest Marvel failure, alongside One More Day. An attempt to bring comic books into the real world only serves to highlight just how ridiculous they really are. Magneto continuing to go free from his crimes works in a comic book, because like the Joker you need to bring back likeable characters, but in the real world Magneto would have been executed without trial the first time they ever caught him.

He is a terrorist (regularly engages in acts of terror) whose stated goal is the subjugation of all humankind (racism or at best speciesism if you take him on his own terms), who has committed mass murder on the level of genocide (bandy terms all you want but killing hundreds of people and feeling no regret because they were human and they deserved it is like arguing that it's okay to massacre the Jews because they broke Germany and thus they deserved it).

I think my original post still stands. The only concessions I feel I should make are that comic books should never be judged by the same stadards as the real world, a concept I apply to all works of fiction, and that once he got popular the writer started to like him, which as seen before with the Joker and countless others is a bad thing because then they try and make the character something beyond a complete monster, and eventually people genuinely start to sympathise with them.

To give it some real world context:

Hitler by all accounts loved Eva Braun as much as he was capable of, truly believed he was making Germany a better place through all of his actions, and was a staunch believer in a dream of a perfect Germany. His closest advisors seemed to think and speak very highly of him, and also shared his views, and he managed to convince an entire country that what they were doing was right and justified due to charisma and personal courage of conviction.

I'd still want him dead, and I wouldn't try and compare myself to him, he was a genocidal nutjob.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here