The Big Picture: PC Gaming Is Dead - Long Live PC Gaming!

Pages PREV 1 . . . 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 . . . 39 NEXT

CleverNickname:
Dear Fellow PC Gamers who are slightly irritated by not just Bob's latest video, but the whole sentiment that comes up way too often,

You're doing it wrong. It's not your fault, but you can stop it. We're arguing about the wrong thing. It isn't the PC that is dying. At worst it's, as Bob pointed out, mutating into decentralized deviced that, at this point in time, are inferior in almost every way; once they're as good, we won't care, will we? At best, it's not going anywhere, because it hasn't gone anywhere (but forward) for decades.

No. This discussion should never be about the PC. It's about how the PC is treated. By ignorant console gamers (note: ignorant console gamers exist; it doesn't mean all console gamers are ignorant), by the publishers they throw their money at, by the devs who are chained up in EA's and Activision's basements and by the worst offender Microsoft. Microsoft because they wouldn't have made half their money without the PC Gaming industry; Microsoft who created not just the "death of the PC" but the death of quality gaming in general, by conjuring up the XBox in some dark and twisted ritual during a moon-eclipsed Winter Solstice. Or something.

No. Listen to Bob. Not to the trollish nonsense in this latest Big Picture, but to his GameOverthinker persona. That smart brilliant man noticed something very true about the world of Gaming, something he should tell this nigh-on-4chan-brained BigPicturePerson. In this episode he remarked how us Gamers were doing something wrong when engaging the ignorance of politicians and lawyers and other idiotic old people who were badmouthing our glorious hobby.

That episode tried to remind everybody that those people are idiots, and their points are stupid and their arguments made no sense. Refuting stupid points and arguing based off their nonsense, is equally stupid and nonsensical. Most importantly, it doesn't get us anywhere.

GameOverthinker's point was that Gaming isn't evil just because some 80-year-old politician doesn't understand why Liara T'Soni is having sex with Bayonetta in a Russian airport, and that arguing on their idiotically ignorant level is a waste of time and will never lead to satisfying results.

In the same vein, we should stop arguing about "The Death of PC Gaming". We need to stop telling everybody "PC Gaming isn't dying". Humans instinctively filter out "not", and talking about PC Gaming not dying still has the death of PC Gaming as its topic.

PC Gaming itself cannot die. The PC itself is very unlikely to die, unless in the far future we really do only have the choice between 3 different model of eye-implants (and even then...).
The very notion is silly. If you argue that notion, you are being silly.
We are PC Gamers. We play on the PC. We play what we have, and we have plenty. If we don't have anything, we make something. I don't, because I'm not smart, but a lot of us are smart. Gaming started because smart people wanted to play. Humans want to play with everything. We play with fire, with chalk, with cars, planes, high-end computers, even eating utensils.

These people say that a portion of the human population will have to buy something else if they want to play something, instead of doing it on something they use every day. If I told you your penis was rainbow-colored, would you get into a lengthy discussion with me, or would you contort your face into a mixture of confusion and hysterical laughter?

Then why am I typing all this nonsense that only like 3 people will read anyway? Well for one, everything else I could do (gaming for example) plays sounds, and I'm blasting the S&M DVD right now because my day has been kinda crappy.

No, I'm writing this because something is dying. It's not PC Gaming. Remember my second paragraph? It describes Death. The Death of support for our platform of choice (which isn't actually a "platform" in that sense, which doesn't make things any easier). Big budget mainstream Triple-A development and support for the PC is dying. It's not dead, as you're likely to quickly point out. Blizzard and especially Valve are still there. Unfortunately for our insatiable thirst for content, they're probably the slowest developers in history, but we usually forgive them due to the quality. And their support. And their active, unprecedented work toward the advancement of PC Gaming.

Unfortunately, they are the only ones (not those two specifically; I forget who else is there, but I count them nonetheless). We probably can't really blame EA and Activision and Ubisoft and the others. They want to make money and throwing together some corridor-cover-shooter is easy and highly profitable. I can't fathom why, but that's how it is. Nevertheless, it is extremely sad and quite frankly unfair.

It is at them we should direct our ire and disappointment, not at people like Bob who make up grand tales just to make "PC Gaming is dying" sound less dumb. Just like the GameOverthinker suggested Gamers should make good intelligent points about the benefits of Gaming in general, we should think what would be best for our big hulking highly ventilated power-monsters, instead of keeping the "Death of PC Gaming" topic alive so eagerly.

So let us shout at the Publishers of Neglect: Give us a great shooter worthy of our mouse-aiming and we will throw money at you. Give us frequent patches and interesting DLC-content and we will pay you more attention than our own hygiene. Show us that you still care and you will not find your name in the same sentence as the word "evil" on the internet.
But give us Console of Duty, Port Effect 2 and Cry-about-it-being-dumbed-down-sis 2 and you will be grossly outsold by a Swedish man who gave us alpha(!)-blocks covered in pixels as large as the egg on your face.

We are PC Gamers. We play on the PC and we will play on everything that will truly replace the PC. Treat us like twitchy Toaster-enthusiasts though and we will just not play/buy the drivel you aim to sully our hard-drives with. That is not the death of PC Gaming. That is the death of your PC market revenue and you only brought it upon yourself. On ourselves we will bring something else. Something better. Something fun, something new, something made for us and the cards and plastic we paid good money for.

So what say you, fellow PC Gamers (all 1-and-a-half of you who read this)? Let's not focus on what people who don't care about our great hobby think. Let's focus on the few remaining who do care, on those who probably should and those who might care in the future. Let's also not be like those others and wish upon the death of the consoles. We're all Gamers. Nintendo has done as much for computing as many PC Game studio. Sony was too busy competing with first Nintendo, then Microsoft to have any noticably negative impact on PC Gaming - and where would we be without the CD-ROM?

Let's be nice and intelligent and forward-thinking. That's how digital Gaming was invented, that's how it should face the bright-looking future.

So, how do we kill that annoying-as-fuck XBox? X-(

That was awesome and well written, it deserves reposting.

Heh, thanks. I wish I had posted it somewhere more prominent than on page 32 of a thread people just use to get their daily dose of internet arguing out of the way.

I Disagree Completely. Not with the ideas or facts presented but with the premise. Consoles are not winning, they are dying. The current generation (7th gen) will be one of the last. I would wager there will be no 9th generation as we know consoles.

The number of uses and operations a console has is approaching a PC with movie downloads and social networkign. It will be impossible for the next few generations of console makers to justify the existance of a 300-700 dollar machine (adjusted for inflation) that will only play a select list of games. Gamers will demand game support on everything and players like Sony or microsaoft won't get away with console exclusive games. There will be no point in owning a machine that just plays games since even our phones are better than an N64. THe only future for consoles is full Wii style motion control and family oreinted play which the bro gamers on the Xbox will not go for.

Part of the problem with your logic is the mistake in thinking that a PC is a desktop. Laptops and tablets are PCs. My MP3 player and digital reader have more processing power than my first desktop (not to mention more pixels). the remaining benefit of a desktop is the better cooling system and the lower cost of parts since laptops are mostly not standardized. A problem which is even bigger with other electronics.

The PC, and the desktop have a long life ahead of them mostly as a cheaper alternative to other gaming platforms. The mouse and kayboard are still better than motion controls (See Minecraft on Kinect video) and the novelty of jumping around your living room will wear off. The only reason games aren't being put on the PC is developer laziness.

CleverNickname:

Yes, I read through your entire speech (I even read it out loud to myself), and I thought it was decently written. And I hope you don't mind my tl;dr version to those that don't like reading walls of text:

tl;dr: Don't shoot the messenger, which this time around is Bob, ignore the ignorant baby-boomer politicians that can't comprehend our hobby and instead choose to demonize it, and stop saying "PC gaming is NOT dead" because human brains naturally filter out the word "no". Instead, aim your ire at the publishers responsible for releasing tripe and raking in the money while ignoring a significant playerbase.

This sounds exactly like one of my cousin's rants about the future of video games. Predicting that in the future PCs will become obsolete isn't mindblowing at all for me, predicting the absolute collapse of the gaming industry would be a lot more interesting topic. People might call them something else in the future instead of a personal computer, but you get the most power, best graphics, and usually better gameplay on a PC so I don't think it's going to die, not at least until the xbox 1080 comes out, or the playstation 5.

It also seems as though the first half of your video was dedicated to pissing off people who play games on the PC, I thought that kind of stupidity wasn't allowed on the escapist but I see here that I was wrong.

Nah Pc gaming isn't dying It'll probably grow actually as more and more people enter the gaming hobby and maybe try out the pc and get hooked. I know I did.

Bullfrog1983:
People might call them something else in the future instead of a personal computer, but you get the most power, best graphics, and usually better gameplay on a PC so I don't think it's going to die, not at least until the xbox 1080 comes out, or the playstation 5.

Not even then. Any technological superiority a console enjoys is short lived as PC tech constantly evolves whereas consoles do most of their tech evolving between generations - by the time a console reaches technological parity with a PC it only has a few months before the PC tears past them again. To kill off the PC consoles would have to become PCs and would then inherit many of the disadvantages of the PC with very few of it's advantages.

Laptops won't kill off PC gaming or even threaten the Desktop PC. A person who wants a PC but doesn't feel the need for a portable unit or wants more power than a laptop delivers will most likely turn to desktops to fit their needs. Laptops will become more common, certainly, possibly even becoming the most common form of PC but desktops will have a place in many homes for the foreseeable future.

A lot of people have been saying how powerful smaller units are becoming but the thing is, so are desktop PCs. The desktop monolith will always have more space to cram in processing and storage than a device 1/4 it's size. That's a physical restraint and until everything is kicking out more processing power than anyone could ever need desktops won't be going anywhere.

This may be one of the smartest things I've ever read since I joined The Escapist, I applaud to you, good sir.

Mullahgrrl:

Jikuu:
At first, I thought he was just rehashing an older GameOverthinker movie, but then he took that twist into "PCs are dying" bit. I was entertained, and I can't say I would mind more GameOverthinker-esque stuff over at the Escapist.

I think Bob's looking into the future. I don't think we're talking the death of the PC in 5 years here. This is more like 15 to 30 when tablets are more than just expensive Apple toys. He's talking a generation's time, not a "blink and you'll miss it" kind of moment. So maybe "death" is too harsh of a word. Maybe "decline" is more of the issue.

So yeah, this isn't anything to get upset over. Bob pulled out the crystal ball, so shake your cane at him when we're 60 and can definitely prove or disprove his ideas.

15-30 years into the future?

Heck, by then we might even have moved on into star trecky holochambers.

Who's to say we aren't in one now o.O

Dun Dun Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!

Jeez, I wonder if Escapist has a record for most responses to a video or article. Personally, though I may not agree entirely with Bob's viewpoint, I do think his presentation isn't without merit. I like to focus on the "Long Live PC Gaming" part in the title since I can see that as a positive outlook for the system or all systems. And no, the word "Dead" doesn't truly describe the situation. Saying that the Jaguar, the Virtual Boy, and the Dreamcast would count as being literally "Dead" but pc gaming doesn't seem to fit in that area. Personally, I would like to be a pc gamer but I can't afford a strong system though I realize the merits of such technology. Good work on the episode Bob. Keep it up.

arc1991:

Mullahgrrl:

Heck, by then we might even have moved on into star trecky holochambers.

Who's to say we aren't in one now o.O

Dun Dun Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!

Oh sure, try and give everyone an existential crisis.

I feel like no one even really listened when they watched this video. Everyone is getting caught up in how PC gaming is supposively booming or that tablets and laptops are also PCs when the argument is that having a huge system unit and monitor that goes in a separate cabinet and desk will become obsolete. Why do I need a stationary device with it's own desk when my laptop can do the same thing plus anywhere I want? And with technology advancing at an exponential rate, you can't use the argument that you need the extra power a desktop PC offers because, unless you're making movies for Pixar, what do you need that much power for?

MovieBob:
PC Gaming Is Dead - Long Live PC Gaming!

Hold off on the rage for a second and just listen.

Watch Video

This was probably the worst time period on The Escapist to release this video. March Mayhem is going to blow this thread right u-. Oh we're at page 33 already.

I forgot:
I feel like no one even really listened when they watched this video. Everyone is getting caught up in how PC gaming is supposively booming or that tablets and laptops are also PCs when the argument is that having a huge system unit and monitor that goes in a separate cabinet and desk will become obsolete. Why do I need a stationary device with it's own desk when my laptop can do the same thing plus anywhere I want? And with technology advancing at an exponential rate, you can't use the argument that you need the extra power a desktop PC offers because, unless you're making movies for Pixar, what do you need that much power for?

But that is a non-argument because a laptop is a PC too. The premise of the video seemed to me to be that PC gaming was dying out, which is ummm incorrect. I don't really get what Bob was getting at tbh, I mean sure I can see where he's going with the advancement of consoles but that basically leads them to being closed off PCs, sorta like buying a Mac. Honestly in that case I think the open model wins longterm.

I'm not sure what Bob means at the end with "Although PC gaming is dead, PC games are not." What exactly does that mean?

As a sidenote: I must admit that for me, growing up, PC gaming has died. I used to be an avid PC gamer but after a lengthy years-spanning break from gaming, I'm now back into it thanks to the PS3 my wife gave me for Christmas.

D_987:
This is the same MovieBob whom claimed anyone that disliked Metroid : Other M's themes was being racist against Japan [whom he also seems to beleive invented video-games - which just isn't true either], Bob also claimed the same game was [paraphrasing] a "masterpiece" of game design...

Yeah, I'll pay attention when he talks about Films, but when he discusses gaming it's just laughable...

He really lost his creditability with me in that one when he started bashing the Prime games for, I don't know, being FPS's?
OP: Just stick to movies. Laptops ARE PCs. Well, everything else has everything has already been said, just wanted to point that out.

I forgot:

If power is not important just go back to the first Ps or the xbox, why do you have to have the new generation consoles? the only difference between them and the previos generation is pover, and things you can do elsewhere.
Just go online, look at some videos of the latest games and compare the PC and the console versions, then try to make the same argument.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

D_987:
This is the same MovieBob whom claimed anyone that disliked Metroid : Other M's themes was being racist against Japan [whom he also seems to beleive invented video-games - which just isn't true either], Bob also claimed the same game was [paraphrasing] a "masterpiece" of game design...

Yeah, I'll pay attention when he talks about Films, but when he discusses gaming it's just laughable...

He really lost his creditability with me in that one when he started bashing the Prime games for, I don't know, being FPS's?
OP: Just stick to movies. Laptops ARE PCs. Well, everything else has everything has already been said, just wanted to point that out.

He is also a well know nintendo fanboy. Evreytime when i see him talks about the guys who always do right, it's nintendo and everything wrong with today gammeing is FPS fault.

Jim Grim:
But why would I want to use four different devices to do all this stuff when I could just sit down on my comfy chair at my computer and do them all on one device?

Why indeed. I can check my e-mail or write a paper or compile software far more easily on my home desktop and yet most of my e-mail is written on a phone, my papers and programs are written on an ultra-portable laptop and I often play games an a device dedicated to the purpose. It isn't a question of capability of a given device. I'm not blind to the fact that my iPhone makes writing an e-mail more difficult than it needs to be and I certainly am not blind to the fact that any particular program I write and compile on this ultra-portable laptop is going to take far longer to run than the significantly more powerful desktop computer I have at home. The fact is, any of these devices can do anything the others can provided you don't care how long the task might take.

So, if I am not blind to the fact that these devices represent sub-optimal environments to do any particular job, why exactly do I use them? Let's just run down the list:

1) iPhone. I use this for playing games and communicating across a wide variety of media. While it represents the worst possible choice that I currently own for any of these tasks, it is notable in that I always have it on my person thus making these tasks at least possible far more often than they otherwise would be.

2) Ultra-Portable: At roughly 1/4 the computing power of my desktop with an, at times uncomfortably small keyboard, this device is less suited to any activity that I might use my desktop for. Still, it's small size and long battery life ensure that I have it on my person throughout the day for classes and it can reasonably be brought anywhere I think I might have cause to need it.

3) 360/PS3: Less powerful than my Desktop by a wide margin these devices still see plenty of use even though they exist mere feet from my desktop. While I am perfectly willing to play a PC game if I want to play games with any of my close friends I am generally forced to play on one of them simply because my friends (all of whom are former PC gamers) have become increasingly unwilling to deal with the various problems inherent to PC gaming.

4) DS/PSP: Sitting somewhere between my laptop and my iPhone, these devices are easily portable but see rare use. The situations where I might use them are limited to those where I have more time than I could reasonably fill with iPhone diversions yet less time than would make setting up the various accessories necessary to make gaming on the laptop a reasonable option.

In any scenario (save making a phone call), I would rather use my PC than these accessory devices and yet, because I spend much of my waking time somrewhere other than at my home they see frequent use. The only "problem" with distributing the things I do across so many dedicated devices is that of transferring a task from one device to another as the situation dictates but, most of the time, that problem can be resolved. As time moves on, this task will be less and less troublesome thus eliminating this damning flaw.

Excuse me, but am I the only one that neither has the time nor the inclination to buy a new fucking computer every time a new game is released?

Seriously, why is it my computer, which wasn't cheap or old, can only handle games from five years ago.

And how come playing online is such a hassle to someone who doesn't have a working knowledge of patches, downloads and upgrades?

Consoles are dedicated gaming machines which makes them better for gaming. Yeah, they can't do RTS, but neither can my computer, so what the hell.

Well done, Bob. Right on the money. Computers as we know them are going to die. May the consoles, I phones and laptops (yes they are different to computers, smart asses) soon replace them.

Brian Hendershot:

Griffolion:

Brian Hendershot:

Wait..did you hear that?

Your mother is so successful in life... I actually wish she was my mum...

There, that should counter the negativity of at least one...

Well your mum smells like elderberries! Which...smell very nice...I think. I have never smelled Elderberries before.

Haha we're totally onto something here, positive your mum comments!

The irony is that in episode 11 ("This can happen to Us") of his youtube Game Overthinker series Moviebob pointed out that the cheapest console would run you $300 and asked if it was unreasonable to expect the PS IV to cost $800-1,000 when it came out. I pointed out there that the Gaming Historian showed his "The Crash of '83" video one of the things that helped cause the crash was the appearance of the PC as a viable competitor. While some people do go nuts with the amount of money they put into their gaming rigs they are in the minority and there are computer configures right now that either equal or beat console prices.

This goes into two other issues that lead to the "The Crash of '83"--console choice overload and game production glut. The smart phones, pads, and what not out there all have their one OSes and for the most part they can't use stuff made for other OSes--effectively the console choice overload problem in a nice new package.

The game production glut is already seen in the explosion of Flash and OpenSource games and if HTML5 realizes its potential it is only going to get worse and the fact Sturgeon's Law is already operating can't be ignored and the gaming industry goes into another crash taking the consoles with it.

brainless_fps_player:
Excuse me, but am I the only one that neither has the time nor the inclination to buy a new fucking computer every time a new game is released?

Seriously, why is it my computer, which wasn't cheap or old, can only handle games from five years ago.

And how come playing online is such a hassle to someone who doesn't have a working knowledge of patches, downloads and upgrades?

Consoles are dedicated gaming machines which makes them better for gaming. Yeah, they can't do RTS, but neither can my computer, so what the hell.

Well done, Bob. Right on the money. Computers as we know them are going to die. May the consoles, I phones and laptops (yes they are different to computers, smart asses) soon replace them.

What is hard about patches? Most games download them for you. What is hard about that? Computers to which Bob is refering to are desktops, Laptops are still PCs. Also if you want to buy a PC that you can game with you never buy from a shop you have to build it yourself and shop around. If you don't like that well fair enough that is up to you but a PC can do everything consoles can except motion controls fully at the moment while a console can only do the job of a PC watered down.

brainless_fps_player:

Neither cheap nor old? Is it pre-built? Then you got ripped off buddy. You never buy pre-built EVER. Anyone with more than 10 minutes of being connected to the internet would tell you that.

EDIT: even if its custom built, if your PC is expensive, and new but cant run modern games then you made some serious lapses in judgment. Don't blame PC gaming because you were not a smart consumer, and didn't shop around or compare. The economy takes advantages of shoppers mindlessly throwing money around.

brainless_fps_player:

Err WTf?

How about you build your system properly first?
Stop buying the shitpiles of hardware they sell you at the local for idiot stores. A decent PC, for the most part, is a one time investment.

A proper case that offers cooling options and breathing room for more of that (cooling) is worth a lot and you can keep it till the hardware fundamentally changes.
Its not the place to try to save money on (and honestly you get good ones for ~100 bucks these days.).

As for hardware: no one is forcing you to buy the newest stuff every time they come out with it. Remember that games are usually about 2-3 years behind hardware development in terms of what they can use.

We already have plenty cheap and powerful hardware that will outclass any console by a huge margin and still only a handful of games that would actually utilize said power (thats because most games that belong to the hardware hungry category) are console ports that got a pc release. The engine is still the console one, but with a few more doodads. Nothing to challenge some cheap 400 dollar worth of primary hardware (cpu, mainbord, ram, graphics card).
And that will last you a few more years even!.

As for games that do try to push the limits:

you
can
tweak
the
settings
down
a bit.

It will still look better than any console. And you will have bought the game cheaper too.

There is no hardware upgrade pressure anymore - there aren't games that require it.

As for patches....

You do realize that games nowadays always come attached to some online service, be it life, steam, ubisoft?
And that those services you are required to use do provide patching?

As for laptops not being pc's: err.. what? Sure the hardware is made to be compact and this puts constraints on the users ability to freely change it but thats about it.
Its is a frikkin pc you can carry around with you. Same with tablets. Those are just the next step from laptops.
They still do the same things and are made to do the same tasks.

A smart still is a car, even if it is smaller than others.

Smartphones, tablets, consoles: all those are moving towards being more compact personal computers. They will soon enough provide the services a pc does and you pay the price of fitting all that into a handheld machine.

A smartphone costs what, 400-500? Yes i can build a pc from that that will outperform the thing in any way. but the pc isn't mobile.

The PC is not disappearing. It will still be there simply because its cheaper to make and you can get more
raw power per buck than on smaller machines, where you pay for it being small. literally.

Its not the pc that is goign away. Its the single use devices that are going away.

Would you buy another consoles that offers only games and not the slew of functions ported over to the device?
Would you buy a separate portable media player if you instead can buy a phone that includes that function?

Phones are becoming multi use tools, like pcs, and as such become more like pc's.
I can assure you that when phones were thick as bricks they didn't have a bloody os on them...

PC's are not dead, never will be and especially considering that everything is becoming more of a pc bit by bit.

this whole eps is a trolling. Cheers bob. Every time you step out of movies and into Gaming you seem to have no clue of what your talking about. Its why i dislike this show, it's so vague and assuming.

I dont know anyone without a PC. Anyone at all... I also own said gen consoles apart from PS3 because they never have games i like. And yeah they have all their Faddy gimics like Wii sticks and you know what i havent played them in about 7months.

The Wii releases nothing but family branded party game fests, Most of the 360 stuff is jsut FPS and i got fallout off steam... PS3 is trying and failing to do it all.

The biggest issue you've missed is the internet. Consoles suck on line compared to PCs ask a game programmer if the PS3 could run wow and he'll laugh at you so hard you may kill him.

The PC is an evolving animal it can keep up with the cutting edge better with it. Next gen consoles are old tech even as they are launch apart from maybe the rubbish fad stuff they jam in there. Hell i only know 1 person with a blueray player and thats a PS3. Remotes arent something serious gamers are interested in. You even know about game tourney scene? GSM etc? maybe you should do some homework.

damn i fed the troll...

PC Elitism: Off
Fanboy protocol: Disengaged
Episode content analysis: 100%

The entire episode talks about death when all that is really happening is Massive Home PC's becoming obsolete. You could have replaced every word of death with evolution and it would have been much less of a flame fuel episode.

Everything that is talked about here are portable devices and consoles, laptops are strangely absent for obvious reasons, becoming as powerful as PC's. But the thing is... we already have those. I'm typing this on the train in between playing Shogun 2 on my GAMING LAPTOP! (From the geniuses at Alienware)

Your episode takes a simple premise, that PC gaming is becoming mobile, that the giant metal boxes are being replaced with sleek mobile devices and then puts a spin on it to get people shouting. You put a small PC Games shall life on at the end to douse the otherwise 100% flame fuel episode, but it's really a bit useless when 2 minutes ago you mentioned RTS and Flight sims being the only thing left for PC.

Not to mention that the Wii only started featuring Adventure game libraries when Steam had been doing that for years. It amuses me how much effort went into making this episode as catchy as possible and I know I have contributed to that simply by writing this.

I'm way ahead of you in the future Bob. I guess the Big Picture already transformed into Hindsight.

Also I'm more of a Deus Ex Sunglasses gamer myself.

Griffolion:

Brian Hendershot:

Griffolion:

Your mother is so successful in life... I actually wish she was my mum...

There, that should counter the negativity of at least one...

Well your mum smells like elderberries! Which...smell very nice...I think. I have never smelled Elderberries before.

Haha we're totally onto something here, positive your mum comments!

We better be quiet about this! This could change THE WORLD. Mum's the word right? haha

I consider consoles to be "entry level" video gamer equipment. Fine for people on a budget, people getting started in the medium or people with minimal technical expertise. I suppose that makes me a snob. Ok, yep, I'm a snob.

With good reason, mind you. A good gaming PC, while expensive and usually technically daunting, is vastly superior to current generation gaming consoles in every conceivable way, including library of games available. For a recent example, I was playing Black Ops on the same release day as my XBox friends. At a higher frame rate, higher resolution, and thanks to Steam, for less money. (less pricks shouting obscenities into their headsets, too)

I didn't read all of the 1000+ comments on this thread but I don't honestly get all the people saying things like "at least PC's are ok for sims and RTS games". Seriously? The PC has had simultaneous release of every cross-platform shooter there is with the few platform specific exceptions, like anything past the first Halo game, which is only available for Xbox. Can't get the latest Final Fantasy either, but that's what PS3s are for. :p

Now, I should point out that I do happen to own and operate all three current generation consoles. I got the PS3 for the aforementioned Final Fantasy, XBox for the kids and the Wii as a joke. In addition, for one reason or another, I own a few titles for multiple platforms. For example, I've got these games for both PC and PS3: Dragon Age, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Mass Effect 2.

Switching between the PC and PS3 on all these games feels like they've been extremely dumbed down for the console. Many features are just outright missing on the PS3 versions of several of those games. (most notably the Bethesda ones) The biggest difference was with Dragon Age - that crappy "command wheel" made me want to throw my six-axis through a window.

PC games get far more support, typically more DLC options and are the only platform that can allow community generated mods for popular games.

These are current, triple-A games I'm talking about, not Facebook games or WoW. (even though WoW made and continues to make more money than every triple-A game released in the last 10 years combined, but whatever - PC's dead, right?) I could go on and talk about how PC gaming is the wellspring of innovation for this medium, and how consoles are stagnantly producing the same shooters over and over with the ancient Unreal engine (developed FOR THE PC) but I've rambled enough.

Sorry Bob, I usually agree with most of what you say, but I just really don't see how PC gaming is dying. Your big argument seemed to be about the lack of desktop PC portability - my PS3 and 50" LCD ain't that portable either. And when I want to sit down in the living room and watch movies or TV shows, I usually fire up my PS3, have it connect to my Windows Media Server in another room via gigabit LAN and browse through terabytes of collected content.

So, hell, even my consoles use PCs.

Eclectic Dreck:

Jim Grim:
But why would I want to use four different devices to do all this stuff when I could just sit down on my comfy chair at my computer and do them all on one device?

Why indeed... Let's just run down the list:
*snip*

I'm not convinced your lifestyle is typical.
I suspect most people live in their house and commute to work each day, and have little opportunity or need or money for multiple devices. I guess the question should have been 'why would people en mass shift from stationary to portable devices for gaming?'. And they won't.

PC's as they exist today will be around for a long while because desks, large screens, big keyboards and mice are not outdated technological tropes; they are desirable for every kind of comfort - viewing, usage/input and spatial. And assuming our culture is becoming more technologically literate, which is likely the case, customisation will always be desired as well. So that's the big tower off the hook.

SensibleCrout:
Keyboards and mice do not sell well for consoles and the simple reason for this is that console gamers do not sit at tables. They sit on sofas.

Quite! Consoles are based around televisions, and televisions are central to family sofa collectives, not at areas suitable for PC input devices.

Strangely the bob guy doesn't talk about laptops or stuff like the Razer Switchblade. And that should be enough. But he doesn't even talk about games in general and brings up only b2p stuff, not even trying to mention (f2p) online games (some of them like Huxley and Vindictus were meant to be console games). Speaking of possibilities he doesn't even talk about what you are allowed to do with your consoles and what you can do with pc in general (never heard of geohot?) which should suggests the control they put on what's supposed to be our stuff. Idk, bob. Why you do this?

I also assume this went into a pc vs console war. Well, unless you play just a few games, pc gaming is cheaper believe it or not. On one hand there are Steam deals (30 milions of users if i remember right) selling games for $5. On the other one there are free to play games like: APB Reloaded,Battery Artic Winds,Continent of the Ninth,Core Blaze,Dizzel,Dragon Nest,F.E.A.R. Combat,Firefall,GenesisAD,Gunz,Hessian,Huxley,Metal rage,MetroConflict,Raiderz,Vindictus and much more on steparu's yotube channel.
Btw a $700 pc built on some online shops like newegg, selling the radeon hd 5770 card, will allow you to play all games out there at max details and good (but not the highest) res. Such pc will last some years, and considering all the stuff you can get from a pc it's worth the money. Especially since on console you pay for almost everything. It's not just about surfing the internet, it's about doing everything and mostly for free.
In case you need help there are a lot of people out there willing to help you, as if we are talking about a free service:
http://www.google.it/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Ait%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=it&source=hp&q=ati+radeon+hd+5770+%24700+pc&meta=&btnG=Cerca+con+Google

As you can see even google is enough to show how much pc gaming is cheaper, better and even more accesible than console gaming. It's just no1 tells you to use google and ask help. There's also something to say about windows8 which will be built around pc gaming (maybe just way more friendly user?) and how doubtful this view of console gaming as social is. Each one of us knows like 50 or 100 people in our own community, and all i've seen regarding the social aspect of console gaming is kids raging over their own brothers because they don't want to stop playing a game.

sry for my bad english, i'm from EU

As long as there are people like me, who don't have enough motor skills to coordinate their thumbs, PC games will sell.

smartengine:
As long as there are people like me, who don't have enough motor skills to coordinate their thumbs, PC games will sell.

talking about games meant to be playble on pads, sensitivity is reduced and all movements are limited and slow paced. That's one of the reasons there are so many fps's, while many tps games have a cover system which doesn't let players to be free to do what they want. You can't even jump. Gears of war is so slow paced it could be a fps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIhjtSY-nxg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9gWNMgrEfA

not even Vanquish gives such freedom

I hate it when Moviebob talks about games. He knows he's a Mario fanboy, we know he's a Mario fanboy, and he just won't give it up. He is about as well connected to the gaming scene as EA is to marketing with integrity.

BOB- STOP MAKING GAME EPISODES. STOP.

Leave that crap for the Game Overthinker, but if you must, don't try to pitch up a flame war. You were right for thinking people were going to be unhappy about this.

Also, your mother's a whore.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 . . . 39 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or