Zero Punctuation: Killzone 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Swifteye:

That Guy Who Phails:

TheFPSisDead:
wooo, more yahtzee hating on the US. *yawn*.

Everyone hates on the US nowadays, you guys must really suck or something.
:)

Either that or the rest of the world is sippin some serious haterade.

Haters gonna hate...

SickBritKid:
Yahtzee, with all due respect, China will buy Europe before it buys America. Europe's cheaper!

Yeah, but how much money does Europe owe to China?

I think the reason Yahtzee loves trolling americans so much, is that nobody else gets quite so offended as they do.

I'd love him to make jokes about my country, but I doubt he could even find it on a map. You know... him being an american and all.

Uhm, why is Yatzee blaming America for making the Hellghast British?
Killzone 3 was developped in The Netherlands...

Starker:
I think the reason Yahtzee loves trolling americans so much, is that nobody else gets quite so offended as they do.

I'd love him to make jokes about my country, but I doubt he could even find it on a map. You know... him being an american and all.

I see what you did there, but I still feel the need to say, he's British and living in Australia

Littlee300:

Ekonk:
...You do know this game was made by the Dutch, not by Americans, yeah?

Yahtzee would never pass up a chance to make fun of Americans, even if he has to lie to us for it.

Honsestly, he could have made at least original jokes about the Dutch. Him hating on America is getting kind of old.

Longshot:

bit_crusherrr:
Yahtzee gets it wrong again. Most PS3 shooters, infact all I've played (COD:W@W, Black Ops, Killzone 2, MAG, Uncharted 2 and so on) use R1/L1 for shooting and aiming, you can also change the controls so R3 isn't aim in the options. Doe's he even bother paying any attention to the games he plays now? In the DCUO review he complained that the targeting system switches targets randomly as he moves the mouse, he clearly didn't pay attention to the part of the tutorial that tells you how to lock targets. It just looks like he's finding any excuse to rag on a game without checking if it's a valid complaint.

One more thing, I'm pretty sure Killzone is made by the Dutch.

You know, this is the feeling I have got from ZP lately. sure, I know that ZP is first and foremost entertainment, but I like his rants ebtter when there is some truth to it. This, and many of the latest review, rag on pedantic trivialities that are either not nearly as commonas he makes them out to be, or takes about 3 seconds to get rid of.
There was once I would watch a Yahtzee video, be thoroughly entertained, and actually agree wholehartedly, though he of course exagerate. I could watch a review, and based on what Yahtzee was ranting about, identify flaws in a game that would irritate me too, and thus include that in my decission about whether I'd buy it. That was what was so great about ZP. It was entertainment, but it was also sort of... right. You couldn't dispute what he said, because truly, those problems and annoyances did exist in the game. But now, it feels like he is grasping at straws, and while he still makes great jokes, the fact that they seemed based on extreme pedantics and him not bothering to properly learn the game, they all feel flat.

Common Yahtzee. I used to laugh out loud when I watched your reviews, but lately they've hardly made me smile. I know you're a clever man with great insight, and wit and intellect befitting that of a God. You can do this better.

^ This.

Ugh last i checked a lot of ps3 games have the r1 buttons as shoot. I think i've had two games that had r2 has the trigger.

Anyways i'm gonna go out and buy killzone 3. Seriously... minus all the fancy gadgets which everyone should have guessed was going to be shit.

The whole Killzone business reminds me of Starship Troopers: another Dutch stab at American foreign politics.

secretsantaone:
[

Now to tell the truth, I'm not that offended by all this. I mean they have to have some sort of voice don't they? I just don't understand why they would think British accents would be a good idea for villains they're attempting to build up as Space Nazis.

You're also arguing batshit insane things.

Firstly I never said the Nazis weren't effective, I said that they were facist and completely different to colonial Britain. It's bizarre you're even arguing about this. You then go off with a paragraph patronising me about the history of the Nazis then saying that Hitler was 99% right. Jesus Christ, I know he's been built up to be the devil by propaganda but if you think 99% of his actions and speeches were acceptable by even contemparary standards you're either delusional or an extreme right-winger. You then end with a completely unrelated conclusion where you attempt to argue that the 40k marines look just as much like Nazis as the Helghast. It's alright saying that they have elements of Nazi Germany. The thing is, the Helghast are actually fully designed around the Nazis. Have you seen their flag? Jesus, if you read the history of them it directly parallels the story of Nazi Germany.

You then follow it by saying that V for Vendetta and Judge Dredd justified a facist regime when the real point of them was to say it's so easy to sit back and let yourself become facist when confronted with a disaster/war/depression. I can understand how you might have got confused with Judge Dredd, but with V for Vendetta it's the ENTIRE FUCKING POINT.

You then go on to argue that typical British hero is a jaded cynical dickhead. With no evidence to back it up. There's no such thing as a 'typical British hero' probably because BRITAIN LIKE EVERY COUNTRY PUTS OUT A TON OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF FICTION. Seriously, if you really HAD to define a typical British hero, it would be an average guy caught up in extraodinary circumstances, which pretty much sums up 50% of all heroes. If you're really going to go down to it, 40K was way more popular in the U.S than in the UK which obviously means the U.S must be obsessed with facism by your logic. Britain puts out just as much grimdark cynical facist media as it does media about comedy gangsters in London, light-hearted sitcoms, historical dramas or Hugh Grant trying to get his leg over some girl.

I highly doubt if you asked the average non-Brit for some British stereotypes they'd respond with facist immoral Nazis.

It's like this, nothing I have said is remotely "batshit insane" it's simply the way it is. You can argue technicalities all you want, the bottom line is there is no answer your going to accept. The bottom line is it's a perfectly reasonable set up and set of origins for a group of bad guys in science fiction. No worse than any one of dozens of situation where The American Goverment has been turned into a group of nazi-like bad guys, or an oppressive stalinist regime, with people pointing towards things we've products both in and outside of fiction to support the hypothetical possibility. The bottom line is you don't like the fact that the British are the bad guys.

... and yes, for the record I am right wing on most things (but it's by no means universal). Hitler's economic policies and predictions of where the world was going were absolute genius. The overwhelming majority of the world agreed with me, and that's why he was the toast of the planet and a global man of the year. That is why what happened was so scary. It really was that 1% of what he believed that caused things to turn out like they did. The lesson to be learned from Hitler is that it's not these brutal, insane-seeming leaders that you need to watch out for, it's those charismatic ones who seem incredibly reasonable, and that everyone seems to like. People love to throw "Hitler" accusations at leaders they don't like, when in reality that accusation is most appropriatly thrown at the ones that they DO like or seem to have a huge following or the chance to assemble one. It's a warning about letting one man obtain too much power, no matter how ingenius, or right he might be.

As far as British fiction goes, well, just because you don't like the answer doesn't make it wrong. When the question "why" comes up, don't shoot the messenger even if you think that the reasons are faulty. Obviously someone came up with the idea, and it has enough support for there to be a franchise that has now lasted three games. Your argueing against something that has already happened, so points about why it never should have happened are kind of pointless because it did, and apparently people can see The British in the role of the bad guys just as much as the USA, Russia, Germany, China, or other groups. If you can present the US as Nazis in dark future fiction, there is no reason why you can't justify it with the Brits to the same extent. You can say "but, your differant, you actually have those aspects. We don't!" well, that same thing can be said right back. Pretty much every country that fought the Nazis has been shown turning into them in some work of fiction at some point, albiet some are far more popular targets for that (like the US) than others.

-

As far as "V For Vendetta" goes, actually the point was that neither freedom or totalitarianism are entirely bad. In the actual graphic novel, Mr. Susan is actually far more of a good guy than "V" is. The society is also functional, with most people being safe, happy, and provided for. It's not like it was in the movie version. What's more a lot of the bad things done by the goverment were actually done by V, because one of the twists is that he has hacked into and taken control of the supercomputer that is being used to run the show. A big part of it was that just because V claims to be an anarchist freedom fighter does NOT mean he was right. It's actually pretty balanced overall, and THAT was the point. It was hardly a man fighting against an Orwellian regime, it was a revenge tale, perpetrated by a guy who really didn't care all that much who he hurt.

With "Judge Dredd", again there is no confusion there. It's made perfectly clear that it's not a situation where "it's easy to fall into these patterns in an extreme situation". It's a situation where those patterns are the only things allowing humanity to continue to exist, there are literally no viable alternatives.

I think it goes back to the "Judge Dredd In Oz" storyline ages ago (Australia) but one of the parts of the concept was that the Judges at one point had a massive debate on whether or not they should genetically alter people into subservience in order to main control and ensure survivial. They opted not to (though there was a rogue who wound up being the major bad guy of the storyline), the current situation being viewed as the lesser of evils.

The point being that the regime present in those stories is much like the one present in "Warhammer 40k" where no matter how bad things might be, or how brutal the authorities are, it's all justified every time the sun comes up another day and there are people to see it. Dredd is a straightforward hero, as opposed to a villain, because he's actually fair for the enviroment he exists in and does what needs to be done to protect people at the expense of intense personal danger. It's also noteworthy that someone who "liberated" the people from the tyranny of the Judges would probably see Humanity die out within a year (and I believe that has been mentioned).

Wow, people are getting really pissy about this Dutch/America thing. Instead of joining the rant all I'll say is this game was clearly designed with American audiences in mind, just look at the ISA, all that oorah*/my guns is my second penis/swearing every second word malarky. I'm British myself and my concern isn't that my country is portrayed as an evil empire (who would? The Helghast are pretty sweet) It's that all the above mentioned bollocks is how the rest of the world see's you and so far no one in the thread has objected to it.

*While off topic there is one thing I will rant about however is the Oorah thing. What the hell does that even mean? At least the equally cringe-worthy "Semper Fi" has some meaning. Oorah sounds like the noise someone makes while constipated moments before and after a tricky poo. Jesus, during CoD4 I wasn't sure if my allies needed backup or more fibre.

Nice review, too bad my fellow Dutchies could not deliver anything to your liking Yathzee.

The sad thing is that escapist offers this high qualety entertainment that you would not get from any other website, and when people want to see a killzone 3 review they will go to youtube and get some "everything is perfect with this game IGN review" and totaly miss the oppurtunity to watch someone who acually points out some faults.

Starker:

lol yeah right. Yahtzee knows how xenophobic the escapist gets towards North America. This is just a rare failed attempted at preaching to the choir.

Yog Sothoth:
Just as I've always thought: Killzone is nothing more than a poor man's Halo.

And Halo is just a poor man's Tribes.

Yahtzee just reinvented Zero Punctuation :)

Didn't play Killzone 3 yet, only Killzone 2. And probably won't buy it because I'm tired of playing war FPS's. But I seem to be the only one pleased with Killzone's controls :(
COD protagonists run and jump fast like hell for who is carrying soldier gear and they aim their guns as lightly as if they're made from plastic. They're almost like Halo's spartans except for the high-jumping feature. What the hell, are they supposed to be super-soldiers?

That's why I like KZ2's more realistic controls. The protagonist moves slower, more like a real guy burdened by the weight of his gear. The camera shakes when he sprints, throws a grenade, does a melee attack, or gets hit. I realize this must kill the fun for some, but in my opinion it helps the game's gritty atmosphere a great deal.

I heard Killzone 3's controls were more light tough, to please a greater deal of audience.

Therumancer:

secretsantaone:
[

snip

snip

Not really much point arguing if you're going to dismiss all my points as 'technicalities' and fail to understand what I'm actually trying to argue. Have fun with that.

Aren't the Helghast supposed to be sympathetic villains? Sure, some of them are pretty evil, but most of them think of the ISA as expansionist douches who screwed them over before, and want a little bit of payback.

My, my, you must need a new shelf for that growing Bugbear collection :-)

I dread the possibility that Yahtzee might one day do Goldeneye because:
a). it's on Wii, which is like having four strikes against it before he even puts in the disc,
2). cover-based shooter, but a lot of your cover gets shot away
d). it's difficult to see and shoot enemies at range, but they seem able to hit any square inch of you not in cover from a half-mile off, even on the disney difficulty setting.

Which is a shame because I enjoy the game a lot.

"Killzone decided to be bolder then that and changed it to R1, which I think would be better suited to a game where you stand behind someone and Tweak their nipples", sorry I just noticed no one quoted that :D

But honestly, Thumbstick for aiming? Or your head always magically floating on the top of cover? Its bad enough to have to be forced to listen to a borish storyline, but with these amatuer mistakes coming from a rich gaming company, just goes to show you can't rely on big name video companies to produce quality work. I suppose we have to rely more on indie games, which I've never been a fan of, at least they still put some heart into and can come up with something unique rather then the same shite.

RazzleDazzle102:
Killzone 1,2,2.5,3..... all boring and all trying way to hard to be like every other shooter and now they (meaning Sony) have the most intriguing "sarcastic finger quotes" add campaign dude since Tom Carvel in the 1980's.
Btw.... Yahtzee is the best reviewer ever, evur, everrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

My God your post hurt my eyes (and brain) a bit.

Quick things:
-I prefer R1 for shooters because the floppy triggers on the PS3 are terrible.

-Great looking game, but the story in KZ3 is really really terrible. FPS games usually don't have the most riveting stories, but still...

-Multiplayer is pretty much the only reason to pick this game up. It's fun to run around and heal people/build turrets/summon mortar strikes/disguise yourself as the enemy.

If you bought the game expecting the greatest campaign ever, you will be sorely disappointed.

EDIT

Longshot:

bit_crusherrr:
Yahtzee gets it wrong again. Most PS3 shooters, infact all I've played (COD:W@W, Black Ops, Killzone 2, MAG, Uncharted 2 and so on) use R1/L1 for shooting and aiming, you can also change the controls so R3 isn't aim in the options. Doe's he even bother paying any attention to the games he plays now? In the DCUO review he complained that the targeting system switches targets randomly as he moves the mouse, he clearly didn't pay attention to the part of the tutorial that tells you how to lock targets. It just looks like he's finding any excuse to rag on a game without checking if it's a valid complaint.

One more thing, I'm pretty sure Killzone is made by the Dutch.

You know, this is the feeling I have got from ZP lately. sure, I know that ZP is first and foremost entertainment, but I like his rants ebtter when there is some truth to it. This, and many of the latest review, rag on pedantic trivialities that are either not nearly as commonas he makes them out to be, or takes about 3 seconds to get rid of.
There was once I would watch a Yahtzee video, be thoroughly entertained, and actually agree wholehartedly, though he of course exagerate. I could watch a review, and based on what Yahtzee was ranting about, identify flaws in a game that would irritate me too, and thus include that in my decission about whether I'd buy it. That was what was so great about ZP. It was entertainment, but it was also sort of... right. You couldn't dispute what he said, because truly, those problems and annoyances did exist in the game. But now, it feels like he is grasping at straws, and while he still makes great jokes, the fact that they seemed based on extreme pedantics and him not bothering to properly learn the game, they all feel flat.

Common Yahtzee. I used to laugh out loud when I watched your reviews, but lately they've hardly made me smile. I know you're a clever man with great insight, and wit and intellect befitting that of a God. You can do this better.

I've been noticing this too. Nowadays it just seems like he is not reading the manual/skipping the tutorial just to find something to complain about. I don't really blame him, comedy is hard. However if you have to stretch for it like this, maybe you should just take the week off to relax and get back on your game.

Oh come one, the general cliques is that Americans are ignorant and arrogant, but here Yahtzee says that Americans made Killzone 3, but we can give credit to the Dutch on this one. Insert a joke about Yahtzee projecting onto the US. And while Britain was critical to success in WW2, come on, really, the USA didn't come crawling to the UK to beg for help on either front. I do however remember Churchill saying that the only time he actually thought he was going to lose the war was when both of us were losing the battle of the Atlantic, which was when the USA was sending supplies across the ocean. Such ignorance and arrogance is unbecoming of a non clique American.
Also, great review as always.

its ridiculus what the consoles are doing with motion controls, on PC there is razor who cares to develop the best tech of it all, so now we hav the final proof that you have to be impotent not to make your major series for PC(but cant the razor make it for the consoles too? O_O).

Gotta say thats your best work in some time man. Loved it, still giggling and the singular reason I never got into kill zone, the controls, so I totally related.

Nice one.

Goody:

Starker:

I see what you did there, but I still feel the need to say, he's British and living in Australia

It's just funny that America is the 'hero' in most games or movies (because their the core gaming/ movie going market of the world). But America lost the whole moral high ground when they became the only 1st world nation that has been boming thrid world countries in the last 10 years.

From the description, "I.S.A." is the futuristic way to spell "U.N.".

BreakdownBoy:
It's just funny that America is the 'hero' in most games or movies (because their the core gaming/ movie going market of the world). But America lost the whole moral high ground when they became the only 1st world nation that has been boming thrid world countries in the last 10 years.

I note that you have to make the cutoff point merely the last decade in order to neatly eliminate Russia (bombing Georgia), most of NATO (bombing most of the Balkans), Turkey (bombing the Kurds --- but then, most Euros don't count Turkey as a nation, let alone first-world, since it was the Ottoman Empire), et cetera and so forth. Oh, and of course let's not forget that a bunch of you hoity-toity-type nations with your noses currently in the air have been doing bombing runs right alongside ours (albeit with a lot fewer planes and thus a lot less effectively).

And now we have Britain and France wanting to enforce a no-fly zone over Libya, which kind of evidently would require bombing airfields that got a bit too uppity, and oh look the Obama Administration which was elected largely to repair America's image as international bullies doesn't want to go bombing that third-world nation and you blokes seem a bit miffed that we won't do it WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE US DOING IT FOR YOU.

FoOd77:

PunkRex:
Im English and I love that were the bad guys, their always the best characters anyway. Who would you rather be Bruce Willis or Alan Rickman? Mufasa or Scar? I could proberly find more but my crumpets are ready, I bid you good day.

Hwuh...? Who in their right mind wouldn't want to be John McClane? Scar I can understand but... Huh.

On topic, Killzone never really interested me, I always got the "LOOK AT HOW GRIM AND DARK WE ARE" kind of vibe, and there is only so many grey and brown color pallettes I can take. It gets kind of depressing.

Note why I said Bruce Willis, I dont think anyone heres in dispute of how awesome McClane is... not to mention his man scream when he slides down stuff is the definition of manlyness.

As for the game, Private Bleaks trek through Grey town its never really appealed to me, im a man all about the asthetics and its impressive how "meh" Killzone looks.

And today Yahtzee reviews another shooter.
Same old same old.

samaugsch:

SickBritKid:
Yahtzee, with all due respect, China will buy Europe before it buys America. Europe's cheaper!

Yeah, but how much money does Europe owe to China?

Not as much as Europe owes America, who will pay off its debt by selling Europe to China.

Yahtzee sold out, plain and simple.
He now does the same thing over and over again (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/6.270997.10428617) and gets paid for it. Easy money, huh Yahtzee? It's not like the animation takes a lot of skill, either. Come up with some bad puns to go with every game and you're done. Review done. Yeah, Yahtzee, you've lost your edge. I'll still watch your videos but more out of some sense of lingering loyalty to a once brilliant critic than of honest interest in what you have to say about a game.

This review seemed pretty harsh. Normally Yatzee will point out the game flaws, but he seemed to actively dislike this title and some of his complaints seemed misinformed.

Like others have mentioned R1 is the typically shooting button on the PS3 and you can switch the controls to make L1 - Ironsights, so they really aren't doing anything any different than any other FPS on the PS3.

Also if anyone was interested in trying the move for KZ3, do not take his review seriously and actually try it. His critique sounded like he really didn't try it for that long and he sounded like my friends who complain about using a controller instead of a keyboard and mouse.

I personally love the Move controls for the game and after you find settings you like for them it may take a few hours to get used too. The only thing that isn't that great with the move controls is the melee attack since it is a gesture. People have been asking them to give us the option to bind that to square since reload is also a gesture, but also bound to square. The reload gesture is actually pretty good, so the binding isn't really needed.

I will agree with the Yatzee that the campaign is not that great and the ending is awful. This is really a game you should pick up if you are interested in the multiplayer.

Here's the thing, I don't even want an apology out of him, people make mistakes, so I'm not going to completely hose the guy for it since he's still hilarious.

That and any "apology" we got out of him would probably be something like "Well all you bloody thin-skinned yanks cried about it so I guess I was wrong."

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here