Extra Punctuation: BAFTAs Are Bollocks

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I don't think you were hard enough on Black Ops, Yahtzee. It was not just bland and predictable. It was bad. In every way that matters, it underachieved and in some places was outright unreservedly, inexcusably poor.

kebab4you:
No Civilization 5?! ,_, Shame I say SHAME!

It would be shame if it was a nominee to either of categories. Wasn't either innovative, didn't have any story whatsoever, visually it didn't really do all that much except hogging resources, tur based strategies ain't really action focused either, best game of they year? Even not that, as much as i love me some Civ, 5 was a bit disappointing.

As to the whole awards thing. They never really will be 'true' unless they will take all games in to consideration, and even then it will be biased one way or another. Long time ago, wise Romans used to say "De gustibus non est disputandum", for those that forgot the old language it means "There is no disputing about tastes" or as my friend says "Some prefer cucumbers - some prefer the gardener's daughters"

mireko:
I will probably die never understanding why people get so fucking excited for Heavy Rain, but Best Story, Best Technical Achievement and Best Original Music? What.

Just, what.

To be fair, Heavy Rain's music was phenomenal. It's too bad the story was a plot-hole ridden mess full of melodrama and unimportant bullshit. Plus, LA Noire has pretty much destroyed it in the technical department, too.

BarbaricGoose:
Heavy Rain had plot holes? This is news to me.

I don't like to admit it, but it kinda did.

Edit: got carried away typing in the captcha and didn't finish my post before hitting enter.

There was a bunch of things that were kind of left unexplained then passed off as plot twists in the endgame... which was like 95% awesome but there were a few niggling threads of "what is this I don't even".
Did they ever explain how Madison just happened to run into Ethan? I mean she was tracking him because his son was missing, but she just happened to wind up at his hotel and commence stalking him. It was all very sweet how she gave up thinking he was the Origami Killer midway, but there was a hole there.

Not to mention Ethan's blackouts, dreams about water, and coming out of a fugue state with an origami figure in his hand. All red herrings to make us suspect Ethan, never actually explained.

Don't worry Yahtzee, if you are correct I too have stumbled into this alternate reality in which Super Mario Galaxy didn't exist. I understand that SMG2 is exactly the same game, just with Yoshi tacked on.

mireko:
I will probably die never understanding why people get so fucking excited for Heavy Rain, but Best Story, Best Technical Achievement and Best Original Music? What.

Just, what.

It's the game that film people understand best...guess why. It is a celebration of all they consider commendable in the interactive medium, meaning: copying their medium of choice. It would be silly were it not incredibly angering.

I wonder what kind of results we'd get if the BAFTAs were run more like the Oscars, where the way to win is to make an artsy, pretentious load that has almost no entertainment value whatsoever. So, Heavy Rain would win everything I guess.

This is more like giving automatic wins to whoever gets the highest scores on Gamespot.

Blops, that's perfect. That is the exact sound I imagine the game industry's safe and generic FPS cashcow machine makes when it shits out a new game.

nadfulat majority

Well, everyone has a different opinion, but that doesn't make the BAFTA's bollocks. While I played Just Cause 2 with relative interest and had a bit of fun with DR2, I don't believe one can seriously nominate them for anything, and fun is a terribly subjective thing. I had more fun with Plants Vs Zombies than both of those games combined.

As for Bioshock 2, I would bet my left testicle that Yahtzee never actually finished the game. It is impossible for one who claims to appreciate a good story to have completely missed possibly the most moving and subtle story on fatherhood and loss to have ever appeared in the medium. Well, unless they quit 2 hours in because "HURR DURR it's the same game but you're a big daddy so fuck it I've got a bar to run".

Super Toast:

mireko:

Just, what.

To be fair, Heavy Rain's music was phenomenal. It's too bad the story was a plot-hole ridden mess full of melodrama and unimportant bullshit. Plus, LA Noire has pretty much destroyed it in the technical department, too.

And LA Noire comes out next month, which in my dimension is 15 months after Heavy Rain. It's also developed by a bigger and more experienced studio with more money behind it.
I'm excited for LA Noire but it's a bit unfair to compare Heavy Rain to it at this point.

Kermi:

BarbaricGoose:

Edit: got carried away typing in the captcha and didn't finish my post before hitting enter.

There was a bunch of things that were kind of left unexplained then passed off as plot twists in the endgame... which was like 95% awesome but there were a few niggling threads of "what is this I don't even".
Did they ever explain how Madison just happened to run into Ethan? I mean she was tracking him because his son was missing, but she just happened to wind up at his hotel and commence stalking him. It was all very sweet how she gave up thinking he was the Origami Killer midway, but there was a hole there.

Not to mention Ethan's blackouts, dreams about water, and coming out of a fugue state with an origami figure in his hand. All red herrings to make us suspect Ethan, never actually explained.

I don't really remember the game well enough to debate this, but I thought the blackouts and such were explained in the scene where Ethan's talking to his therapist?

DevilWolf47:
I think the fact that BioShock 2 was nominated for a story award was conclusive proof that the BAFTA is a farce. I know gaming is a relatively young medium but for fucks sake, COD: Black Ops being nominated for ANYTHING?! Give the award to the fucking engine if you must, but don't pretend that Call of Duty had any major innovations since Modern Warfare was released years ago. I'll flat out state it, aside from a few indie developers and some trace modifications, there pretty much were no new games in 2010 at all, just expansion packs sold as sequels that dwindled in quality.

What happened here is exactly the same as the first time the "Metal" category was introduced at the Grammys. Jethro... MOTHER FUCKING... Tull won the original award, with Metallica on the same ballot.

The first time you include something, they never make sense.

Nomanslander:
Just Cause 2, Dead Rising 2 and Amnesia: The Dark Descent didn't score a single nomination....

-Yahtzee

Poor Yahtzee, finally realizing maybe his tastes aren't as refined as he thinks it is...=*(

Just Cause 2 and Amnesia: The Dark Descent are true gaming gems. JC2 is the best free roaming action game ever created by mortal creatures, and Amnesia is the most frightening horror experience in gaming. I don't care for zombie games so I didn't play Dead Rising 2 and I can't comment on it.

Yahtzee Croshaw:

it's the nom for Mario Galaxy 2 for any kind of "innovation" award that I find completely incomprehensible.

Probably for the new tricks for level design (levels disappearing beneath your feet, walls of purply cliff-making stuff limiting how much of a scrolling platform you can actually interact with, a FOLDING swamp). Guess you have to really be into platformers to notice these kinds of things, but the level design mechanics are a big reason why I love the game. Hope it turns out to be as influential as 64

By the way, for anyone wondering it actually did start development as an expansion pack, but it got to big to justify calling it one and was upgraded to a full sequel.

BarbaricGoose:

Kermi:

BarbaricGoose:

I don't really remember the game well enough to debate this, but I thought the blackouts and such were explained in the scene where Ethan's talking to his therapist?

The fact that he's having blackouts is explained as being linked to the death of his first son. Why the dreams about water? Why the origami figure? Those are awfully specific and ultimately never really explained.

Think of it this way: in the movie version of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, they add in a scene where Karkaroff sneaks into the room where the goblet is kept. They film him being sneaky. You can tell he's being sneaky because they do a closeup of his face while he shifts his gaze from left to right and carefully closes the door behind him.

At the end of the movie, it's shown that Karkaroff had absolutely nothing to do with the tampering of the Goblet. So why was he sneaking in there? It was something they put in there to make Karkaroff look suspicious because they didn't have the screen time to explain why would should suspect him like Rowling did in the book. But the scene makes no sense whatsoever.

I know it's a somewhat esoteric example, but Ethan waking up with an origami dog in his hand before his son goes missing?

You've been "playing Dragon Age 2 lately"? Awesome, I sense a review incoming. If you were ripping at Heavy Rain plotholes, I hope you bring up the ones in DA2 in that case. Well, provided you didn't take the Templar option on everything. Game was only meant to be played one way, and the plot holes wouldn't be as glaring in the Templar playthrough.

Sad to inform you I don't give two shits about these kind of awards, so this article wasn't exactly interesting either. Guess releasing steam never hurts tho. But really, what did you expect, Yahtzee, you cynical bastard with a toasty heart?

Personally, I always hate gaming game of the year awards, because my precious Nintendo DS always gets the shaft. Granted, the DS had kind of a lousy year in 2010, but Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors deserves best story, by far. Sadly, it wasn't released in Europe, so I guess I should complain about game localization more than the fact that it wasn't nominated.

Still, this year I've spent a ton of time on my DS, with Ghost Trick, Radiant Historia, and Pokemon Black, and I still have Okamiden to get to! Are any of those games going to make a dent in awards besides "Best DS game"?

Gennadios:
You've been "playing Dragon Age 2 lately"? Awesome, I sense a review incoming. If you were ripping at Heavy Rain plotholes, I hope you bring up the ones in DA2 in that case. Well, provided you didn't take the Templar option on everything. Game was only meant to be played one way, and the plot holes wouldn't be as glaring in the Templar playthrough.

Wich plotholes? I played my own way, it was fairly neutral, a bit tending pro mage, so i dont really know any plot holes from the top of my head. Maybe a bit foggy plot points, but full out plot holes i dont remember at all.

FallenMessiah88:
Its things like this that really makes me wonder if a career in the games industry is the best choice for me...

Huh, then maybe it isn't. Pardon me for logic here, but if you base what the best career choice for you is based on a voting of what games are good....are you really choosing the career for yourself? I'd think you're choosing it to be recognized by others. I'm not trying to be a downer, just pointing out what I see.

Europe is Known for liking things with much more class then the united states.

MYTH-BUSTED!

KILGAZOR:

EDIT: Holy fuck, I just noticed Blops got nominated for story. What. The. Fucking. Hell.

Yeah I couldnt believe that myself, I put up with The modern warfares because thestory was sorta ok, but in blops there is no story, literally. Like, I have no idea whats going on other than, "ther be war, but you shouldn't be in this mode you should go on our multiplayer mode its the only thing we work on"

starwarsgeek:
Probably for the new tricks for level design (levels disappearing beneath your feet, walls of purply cliff-making stuff limiting how much of a scrolling platform you can actually interact with, a FOLDING swamp). Guess you have to really be into platformers to notice these kinds of things, but the level design mechanics are a big reason why I love the game. Hope it turns out to be as influential as 64

I loved the level ideas, but the "limiting how much of the level you can touch" thing was done in SMG1, and the folding swamp was more aesthetic than anything that really affected gameplay. I liked the Beat Block Galaxy, though, and the Sweet Mystery Galaxy was a very interesting twist on the limit-how-much-of-the-level-etc. idea, but even with those, SMG1 was just more all-around imaginative.

By the way, for anyone wondering it actually did start development as an expansion pack, but it got to big to justify calling it one and was upgraded to a full sequel.

Interesting, I didn't know that.

dunam:
I thought for a second that "You have to burn the rope" won Handheld.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Mazapan/you-have-to-burn-the-rope

Favorite game in a long time.

Thank you for sharing this... this... godly flash.
Best 3 minutes of my life.

OT: Silly people. Black ops doesn't deserve an award

I blame Critics >:(

Red Dead Redemption should have replaced Cod Black Ops in every category. Black Ops might be a fun game to play when drunk with some friends, but it does not deserve ANY awards (and I'm someone who freaking LOVES playing Black Ops when drunk with my friends).

People harp on sports games that "come out every year" a lot, but I bet very few people actually play them actively. They're a lot of fun, and arguably just as fun as the generic sequels that win awards anyway. They all add just as much as Gears Of War 2 did to Gears Of War 1. So if you're not going to nominate a sports game on the merit that it adds "nothing new" and is the same thing every year, don't nominate sequels either.

That being said, Yahtzee is really bias here. While I don't agree with some of the winners/nominations, I don't agree with his view of what constitutes a good game. "Fun" is a very amorphous term to describe a game's quality. I can call a lot of things "fun", but none of them deserve awards in their respective fields for it.

On a side note: Where was Red Dead Redemption? I was actually very, very surprised that it did not only not win anything, but it wasn't even nominated.

Alas a typical example of the stupid shooter games gaining way more attention then they deserve. Alas as long as morons keep buying them they will keep being produced. I am glad that Limbo got a few shout outs so that at least smaller developers can see a reason to keep making fun and slightly different games that are not indy art bullshit.

FogHornG36:
Europe is Known for liking things with much more class then the united states.

MYTH-BUSTED!

Nah, it's totally true. They even play Blops with their pinky extended.

Movies have crappy blockbusters (Transformers), why can't games have em too?

Don't expect the industry to change anywhere soon: Homefront, Crysis 2 and more are coming

I'm surprised nobody has called out COD BLOPS (best abbreviation ever, by the way) on technical innovation. The series hasn't changed anything major (aside from pick your own killstreaks) since Modern Warfare. And even then that only really changed multiplayer. The gameplay has been the exact same since the first Call of Duty.

I loved the last paragraph; it conjured up the image of a unshaven and bleary-eyed Yahtzee sitting at his computer, typing furiously and mumbling about how "the goddamn Reds are back at it again".

As much as it pains me to say this, my friends has Blops. My sister played it as well and she told me the game was buggy. AI is crap, explosives are hard to work with, and in some areas, you might be inexplicably dragged back, like your legs are on a playback-repeat switch. So from what I understand, from my third-person view, the game isn't all what it's cut out to be. So how do my friends come into this? They don't play the main story, just the online multiplayer...and they love it, blissfully ignoring many of the problems. Me? Not a fan of the war games, save maybe Halo, but it seems to be, if you truly love something, you can forgive him/her for the faults they have that annoy you, and I think that is what's going on. That game, for all it's worth, may be truly bad, but people still love it, and that's what's happening. It has nothing to do with actual merit, and that, that my fellow Escapists...is why I feel like burning down some of these fanboys' houses.

Kermi:

BarbaricGoose:

You know, it's too bad Ethan wasn't the origami killer. If he was, maybe we could've gotten him to shoot Blake in the face. Oddly enough, I kind of liked Blake's take-no-bullshit attitude at first, but then later was like, "Ok, he's taking it a little too far."

I wish more would call out Heavy Rain's story. Along with Yahtzee, the only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Destructoid and GamesRadar.

In fact, the latter has this article about Heavy Rain's "plot":

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/heavy-rains-big-plot-holes/a-20100224105436979020

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook