Critical Miss: The Sega Guide

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Oh for the love of god people. The 2d sonic games were great, yes, but the sonic adventure games were great as well. The first sonic adventure had it's flaws yes and sega realized these said flaws and completely fixed them in the next game Sonic adventure 2. And the sonic advance games weren't that bad either especially sonic advance 3. I can't speak for the other games because they did seem bollocks. There was one more sonic game that was actually quite good that i can think of since the old 2d style ones and that was sonic rush. It was the first time they introduced a new character we were actually interested in and you have to admit that fight between blaze and sonic dragon ball z style was pretty sweet. Sonic Team isn't all bad they have a few good games it's just they don't know what to do with themselves.

What baffles me is why these companies never hire the teams behind these fan projects and then releasing said fan project as an official title and profiting off of it.

Sega definitely is not the extreme powerhouse it once was back in the heady days of the Genesis-SuperNES War. Back in those days, Sega(and, particularly, the Genesis console) was emblematic of hardcore, adrenaline-rush gaming. However, a number of bad hardware and business missteps precipitated a horrible decline for Sega(it didn't help that they were re-orging just about every year). After that, the talent left, and Sega just withered into a shadow of its former glory. Sad to see.

(Bayonetta is OK[I have it for PS3], but the pacing and choreography of the game is way off for the aesthetics and style, in my opinion. It just fails to properly maintain the "rush".)

Furioso:

RaikuFA:
didnt square do this with chrono trigger

Well not really, they added new features including an entirely new, long, dungeon (wasn't that good but it was something) and an interesting monster arena thing that I had fun with, also allowed people to experience the game who couldn't before and didn't have the know how for emulating, in other words, yea they made a port but it was good

Oh and they had cutscenes, I also enjoyed those :D

Plus you have to look at how obscene a copy of Chrono Trigger for the SNES was. It was pretty bad, cost wise.

Yeah, Sega doesn't care about anything these days, except trying to turn a profit, and the best way to do that is to use old, profitable IPs to rape childhoods.

ArmorArmadillo:

KeyMaster45:
Legally the situation is black and white; Sega has every right to shutdown a fan project. That doesn't mean we have to agree with their decision; nor does it mean we can't view it in a negative light. Since by all outward appearances they let the game go through the full 8 years (maybe less) of development and shut it down only when it was released. If they didn't want them making it they should have shut them down long before now.

It's slightly more complex than that. A sad feature (and big flaw IMO) of copyright law is that if you are aware of something that violates your IP, you are OBLIGATED to shut it down, and if you don't you will be seen to have waived your right to enforce your IP and will lose claim to it in the future.

Now a lot of the apologists for Sega (and Square when they shut down that sweet looking Chrono Trigger Remake) cite this particular law and the biggest counter point is, yet again, Valve. There are countless mods/remakes/adaptations of Half Life and it's code yet somehow no shadowy forces have swept in and stolen the Half Life IP from under them.

I still think SEGA are great people who do great things.

note: my tag :P

Furioso:

Ickorus:

Come the fuck on reCAPTCHA.

serek smmukar? are those even words?

I typed sereh similar when I got it but it didn't work.

Mokuren:
Sega has all the rights to shut down this project.

But a far better idea would have been to take on those talented people, help them work on a new project and, years later, unveil something that could make both of them a whole heap of money...

imageimage

Just a thought.

LOL! i should start living the sonic way.

Grey Carter:

DeadlyYellow:

Tom Hill:
SEGA gave the go ahead on the project eight years ago.

Care to lend some credence to that?

The Devs submitted a "formal letter" to Sega but I imagine Sega gets a glut of letters every day and likely they dismissed it as yet another project by fans whose grasp exceeded their reach. What gets my goat is Sega doesn't bring it's legal foot down on all those terrible fucking flash games based on the Sonic license and only seems to care about "protecting their IPs" when the fan-made game in question is better than their own products. Sadly, considering the state of Sega these days, that covers most of the fan games out there.

standokan:
Yeah, sega's pretty much dead

Actually not, particularly. Unlike certain other companies Sega actually posted a profit last year.

Guys here seem to forget. Every time I for example walk down to the local bowling center, theres a miniarcade. Guess who's machines and games are standing in there? (SEGA)

Well... that is pretty facepalm-worthy...

RowdyRodimus:
Or you can do the same comic this way:

Panel One: Show people playing a game and really digging it
Panel Two: Show those same people working on a game, talking about all the features they want to put in it making it awesome.
Panel Three: (Caption: Eight years later)Have those people bitch because they wasted time creating a new version of an IP they don't own instead of changing up characters designs and names and making their own game.

It doesn't matter how long they worked on the game or how good it is, they don't own the IP and if SEGA didn't do make them take it down, then it opens the floodgates for people to make games based on any of their properties and devalue them.

The problem is Sega usually doesn't act against those who make Sonic fan games (At least I don't think so considering there' so many Sonic fan games on the net that are well publicized), so it was kinda surprising they would take this fan game down. Also, I think Sega has done more than their fair share to devalue the Sonic IP.

Grey Carter:

Sega do what Valvedon't.

Is Valvedon't a new branch of Valve assigned to work on Episode 3, but instead of delaying it just refuse to make it?

That explains everything.

standokan:
Yeah, sega's pretty much dead

Two words

Valkyria Chronicles

nuff said.

Furioso:

Ickorus:

I think the first is sereħ (h has an accent mark) and the second word is similar.

Keep in mind that Captcha doesn't just feature English words.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Mokuren:

But a far better idea would have been to take on those talented people, help them work on a new project and, years later, unveil something that could make both of them a whole heap of money...

imageimage

Just a thought.

Exactly! And here are more:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/minerva

Just to name a few. If you can't beat them, then get them to join you!

Chemical Horse:

Grey Carter:

Sega do what Valvedon't.

Is Valvedon't a new branch of Valve assigned to work on Episode 3, but instead of delaying it just refuse to make it?

Not a typo. It's a reference to Sega's infamous Nintendon't ad campaign. Whoever did the front page got it wrong.

Grey Carter:

Chemical Horse:

Grey Carter:

Sega do what Valvedon't.

Not a typo. It's a reference to Sega's infamous Nintendon't ad campaign. Whoever did the front page got it wrong.

Oh, I see. Guess I missed out on that ad campaign since I couldn't really give less of a fuck about SEGA.

The Youth Counselor:

Furioso:

Ickorus:

I think the first is sereħ (h has an accent mark) and the second word is similar.

Keep in mind that Captcha doesn't just feature English words.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Mokuren:

imageimage

Just a thought.

Exactly! And here are more:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/minerva

Just to name a few. If you can't beat them, then get them to join you!

Correction: If your fans make quality modifications of your incredible, revolutionary, games give them the proper respect they deserve by hiring and publishing their work.

Also, you forgot

Chemical Horse:
snip

All of the games I listed above started off as popular mods before their creators were paid a fortune for the rights to the IP by VALVe and hired by them. Although Garry's Mod did get published by VALVe over Steam, Garry himself wasn't hired nor did GMod become a VALVe game (instead they gave him a Source Engine license). He was interviewed for a position there though, however he didn't get it. (I'm guessing his famous personality had something to do with that.)

The Youth Counselor:

Chemical Horse:
snip

All of the games I listed above started off as popular mods before their creators were paid a fortune for the rights to the IP by VALVe and hired by them. Although Garry's Mod did get published by VALVe over Steam, Garry himself wasn't hired nor did GMod become a VALVe game (instead they gave him a Source Engine license). He was interviewed for a position there though, however he didn't get it. (I'm guessing his famous personality had something to do with that.)

Oh, my bad.

Well, let's hope Team Sonic doesn't bring down the rest of SEGA, considering that SEGA's got this guy hostage:

Ben Yahtzee had the right idea, just kill off any notion of Sonic. If Sonic fans want to play Sonic games, they can play the old ones since apparently NOTHING on this god forsaken Earth is better than the 'good ol days'.

Make a new game, no more Sonic. And while were at it maybe Nintendo can make a replacement for Mario since he seems to be running out of ideas too.

Furioso:

RaikuFA:

Well not really, they added new features including an entirely new, long, dungeon (wasn't that good but it was something) and an interesting monster arena thing that I had fun with, also allowed people to experience the game who couldn't before and didn't have the know how for emulating, in other words, yea they made a port but it was good

Oh and they had cutscenes, I also enjoyed those :D

i meant shutting down a fan project even though they said at the begining they didnt care about the project and then waiting till it was at 98% complete

VERY dick move

RaikuFA:

Yeah pretty much. Which is really sad :(
I was looking forward to the 3D Fan Remake.. then I was looking forward to the Fan-Made Sequel... now I'm looking forward to the day that Square dies and loses copyright on the franchise so that both of those can be released.

Yeah, GO FUCK YOURSELF SEGA! But....pretty please make Shenmue 3.

Please.

I'll cry if you don't.....

again.

I hear you Ikorus. If I can't understand what the fuck recaptcha says then what's the point?

RowdyRodimus:

Panel Two: Show those same people working on a game, talking about all the features they want to put in it making it awesome.
Panel Three: (Caption: Eight years later)Have those people bitch because they wasted time creating a new version of an IP they don't own instead of changing up characters designs and names and making their own game.

Which is great, but it's not the same comic. In fact, it neatly misses the point.

The larger outrage reflected here is the fact that Sega's shutting them down while doing this other stuff, like releasing terrible looking ports that play horribly. In order to justify your rant, you've trimmed away any of the context of why for a convenient strawman to punch in the face a couple of times.

This also wasn't their only recourse to protect their property. Nor have they gone so far as to "protect" it from other fan works, which belies the notion that if they didn't, the floodgates would open.

And honestly, being in the right doesn't mean you're not a douchebag. It just means you're in the right. You can support their legal right and still condemn their actions here, or anywhere you want, really. I'm not against IP rights, but they really didn't have to go this route and they look like dicks for it. I don't like Valve, but they found another way. Lots of companies have.

Finally, just because you're legally in the right doesn't mean you're not screwing yourself over in the end. Is that the case here? Probably not, but it bears mentioning when people obsess over the letter of the law.

Frozengale:

RaikuFA:

Yeah pretty much. Which is really sad :(
I was looking forward to the 3D Fan Remake.. then I was looking forward to the Fan-Made Sequel... now I'm looking forward to the day that Square dies and loses copyright on the franchise so that both of those can be released.

azure dreams(the sequel) is available for viewing but not for playing

Think the problem with Sonic that it was beloved when his games were 2D, Adventure was kinda meh but Adventure 2 was just awesome....then Heroes were 'Ughhh'..not sure how Shadow, '06, Secret Rings...Werehog...Dark Knight...seriouly lost interest eventhough i probally never played past Shadow.

The Rush and Advance games were alright during a period where the 3D games started to put a dent on him.

I think the world needs the return of Shenmue, Alex Kidd and perhaps Ristar more than ever!

The truth in this comic makes me angry enough to strip the flesh off my arm with my own teeth and mail it to Sonicteam's headquarters with a picture of a puppy being punched in the face by Vince McMahon.

Yes.

Bwown:

RowdyRodimus:

It doesn't matter how long they worked on the game or how good it is, they don't own the IP and if SEGA didn't do make them take it down, then it opens the floodgates for people to make games based on any of their properties and devalue them.

The problem is Sega usually doesn't act against those who make Sonic fan games (At least I don't think so considering there' so many Sonic fan games on the net that are well publicized), so it was kinda surprising they would take this fan game down. Also, I think Sega has done more than their fair share to devalue the Sonic IP.

I was going to point that out myself. From what I understand, Sega took a lot of care and had a lot of input during development to ensure that Sonic 4 met the "approval" of the 2-D Sonic fan-game community. I'm pretty sure that Sega is well aware of one particular well-known Sonic fan game (which will remain un-named just in case), and it's been around for a good few years now and hasn't been pulled. In fact, I know that during the development of another fan game, some of the people who were working on it contacted former Sega of America developers for information on certain stages that were pulled from Sonic 2. Sonic 4 still didn't meet all of the fandom's expectations because the fanbase is broken into a million pieces by now, but the fact that Sega tried to listen to the Sonic fanbase, who were out there doing new and innovative things with their most valuable IP that Sonic Team itself wasn't doing, shows that Sega doesn't always get incredibly protective of those IPs.

In my eyes, Sega is a joke. If it wasn't for Platinum Games, I wouldn't have bought a damn thing with their logo stamped on it.

Technically the Sonic 4 game had the dodge jump feature, which is actually a pretty radical change for a sonic game.

I think I missed something. When exactly did an 8-year fanmade Sonic game get shut down?

Grey Carter:

ArmorArmadillo:

KeyMaster45:
Legally the situation is black and white; Sega has every right to shutdown a fan project. That doesn't mean we have to agree with their decision; nor does it mean we can't view it in a negative light. Since by all outward appearances they let the game go through the full 8 years (maybe less) of development and shut it down only when it was released. If they didn't want them making it they should have shut them down long before now.

It's slightly more complex than that. A sad feature (and big flaw IMO) of copyright law is that if you are aware of something that violates your IP, you are OBLIGATED to shut it down, and if you don't you will be seen to have waived your right to enforce your IP and will lose claim to it in the future.

Now a lot of the apologists for Sega (and Square when they shut down that sweet looking Chrono Trigger Remake) cite this particular law and the biggest counter point is, yet again, Valve. There are countless mods/remakes/adaptations of Half Life and it's code yet somehow no shadowy forces have swept in and stolen the Half Life IP from under them.

If everyone in the world was Valve we'd live in a world without war or poverty and cars would run on carbon dioxide and have cupcakes for exhaust.

I'm not trying to be an 'apologist' for Sega, but I am suggesting that there is a legal reason for them to do so other than they're desire to be jerks.

As for Valve, if there was ever a legal fight over the Half-Life IP they may have a real problem on their hands. Of course, the reason they can take these risks is because Valve is in such a secure position, currently controlling the best digital distribution medium, games that Yahtzee can't criticize, and a fanbase that would gladly leap into a volcano to unlock a Portal 2 teaser trailer.

At this point, all Sega has is its old IPs. Which, again, their fault for not making better more recent games, but still, a reason to be more protective.

(As a side note, none of this should stand in your way of making funny comics like this one)

RaikuFA:

Yep, and it was looking really good too...shame.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here