Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 30 NEXT

Over here people: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.278192-Poll-Jimquisition-Yay-or-Nay

I created this thread so the discussion can go on with some good old fashioned voting.

Keep it civil!

Tucker154:
I would like him if it wasnt for all the dicks...

Wow, he's got dicks in his video too? I missed that.

I wouldn't say that I hate it but I don't like it.

Spangles:

Tucker154:

Twice as a drawing for a split-second.

AngryMongoose:

Movies are not videogames, and videogames are not movies!
Movies are videogames not, and videogames are movies not!

what was the name of those clowns i forgot and thats my favorite final fantasy :(

Cripes. F* F* F* F*. F-ing videogames aren't F-ing movies. F-ing hollywood is F-ing stupid. F* F* F* F*. learn a new swear word already. speaking of swear words, they're like season salt. used appropriately they add spice and depth. upending a dumptruck's worth into the kettle leaves you with a corrosive nasty mess.

We've already got a caustic misanthrope videogame critic around here, and he's a damn sight better'n you. sorry.

TL;DR: Yahtzee does the same thing but better.

Hmm...I'm kinda on the fence here.
He makes good points, and intelligent points, just not in a very intelligent way.
I'll watch a few more before I make a call.
Maybe if he was doing something more than standing in front of a wall. I need pretty colors to entertain me.

One last thing, really diggin the threads.

Tucker154:

Spangles:

Tucker154:

Twice as a drawing for a split-second.

Well I couldn't like it any less so I'll just say I did see them and add them as another reason..

solidsnake101023:

what was the name of those clowns i forgot and thats my favorite final fantasy :(

Zorn and Thorn, also

Is it just me, or are we getting less original video ideas. It seems these days, all the escapist series are just videos of people bitching all....the....TIME.

Brainst0rm:
So...it's entertaining because he says "fuck" a lot?

'Cause, otherwise, I feel like I've missed the joke.

lol yeah me too.

He seems like he's trying to have similar content as Extra Credits but with the same kind of expression as Zero Punctuation. In a written medium it'd probably be good, but it comes across as forced as a video.

So you're using Heavy Rain as an example of how games are not like movies... lol jk,I quite liked the video but it needs more images and stuff, particularly as your face is half covered by those glasses. Seriously, if you want a job on epic meal time then you need to work out a bit more first.

Would be more at home on youtube, as the rant has already been done.
If his USP is a pair of shades that make his face look huge ) being used as a counter to Yahtzee's trilby then it's not a particularly good one.

With an argument that lacks proper structure and states the obvious, it's not really hitting the funnies as much as other features on The Escapist, however refreshing it is to have another Brit.

If I wanted to see someone rant in front of a camera then I could have checked youtube for the replies made by any number of nobodies after something worth noting on the news has cropped up.

All in all I think this could have been how Yahtzee turned out if he was less creative with visual puns, less funny, less charismatic and wore stupid glasses.

Hello, I came here over from Destructoid to support Jim, if it wasn't for that, I would have never step foot inside this elitist camp filled with nonsensical ramblings about a writer who has more talent then the pretentious Movie Bob or the tiring Yahtzee. Really, I wasn't going to leave a comment, but strolling down one page on this very comment section reminds me why I left The Escapist and never looked back.

Jim isn't a nobody. He's rather popular. Jeez, do you guys live under a rock?

I agree with his points, but his presentation could have been better.
I absolutely hate it when I hear a game described as cinematic I find it to be an insult rather then a compliment and I feel like many games do certain things infinately better then a movie ever could horror being a perfect example.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. Jim's not taking away any of your other shows.

Thank Christ it was a British accent. Not sure I would've coped had it been the smarmy American accent I was expecting. Good stuff.

Venereus:
The Roger Ebert thing has started to become a bit of a myth it seems, yet he's not really the enemy. If you read the actual (now infamous) blog entry, you'll find he's quite on point (and in a way, Yahtzee found this to be the case too). In fact, I think what Ebert said actually helps the cause, as it's pretty much in line with what Jim is saying in this very video.

Here it is, demystify it:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/04/video_games_can_never_be_art.html

Yes you are right, this does demystify it, but now how you state. He still holds his stance that "games can never be art" but shows that he has no backing for such a statement.

Not only does he insult games, but he when valid points are established he tosses them aside because HE can't see the joy in it. Because it doesn't move HIM it CAN'T be art.

Her next example is a game named "Braid" (above). This is a game "that explores our own relationship with our past...you encounter enemies and collect puzzle pieces, but there's one key difference...you can't die." You can go back in time and correct your mistakes. In chess, this is known as taking back a move, and negates the whole discipline of the game. Nor am I persuaded that I can learn about my own past by taking back my mistakes in a video game. She also admires a story told between the games levels, which exhibits prose on the level of a wordy fortune cookie.

VenusInFurs:
Jim isn't a nobody. He's rather popular. Jeez, do you guys live under a rock?

Popular with whom? Definately not the average person that comes here going by the posts and poll.

Maybe for the yokel, slack-jawed youtube addict... but I think that may be a different audience.... or at least a smaller subset.

The Escapist needs to keep it's bar higher than this, it's a slippery slope. I mean what would be the next featured video? Paint drying? bug killing? There has to be some kind of standard surely or where does it end?

VenusInFurs:
Hello, I came here over from Destructoid to support Jim, if it wasn't for that, I would have never step foot inside this elitist camp filled with nonsensical ramblings about a writer who has more talent then the pretentious Movie Bob or the tiring Yahtzee. Really, I wasn't going to leave a comment, but strolling down one page on this very comment section reminds me why I left The Escapist and never looked back.

Yeah, high standards suck.
No, wait, I meant:
hi-standerds suk.

Watch the latest videos of any of our contributers and compare them to this video.

LiquidGrape:
It's trite, it's exhausting, and due to the sheer hyperbole of the delivery, I find myself rejecting what arguments are presented.

Same here.
Too many insults, too many bad drawings of penis, too little intelligence.
Please don't give this guy a show here.
Everyone decerves a second chance, in this case a second video, but... not intrested at all.

I think it's safe to say that THAT....was not the voice I expected to come out of that body. Other than that, I actually agree with his overall point that games shouldn't try to be like movies, and vice-versa.

Also, not sure why, but that really just looked....awkward. That seems like the wrong kind of setting for this guy, that him just standing in front of a camera occasionally editing in random pictures/clips just doesn't fit him. For starters, the camera angle (TOO FAR OUT!), combined with his body size just looked....well, terrible. Same for the whole "Webcam dude making a video in front of a random wall in my house" thing he has going, just felt off the whole time I was watching. And I really haven't even commented on your actual rant.

Advice? Try filming outside, or atleast some different location, other than a plain wall behind you. You've got presence, your size and personality give you that in spades, and your film style should take advantage of that, not, and I apologize if this sounds rude, make you look fat. If your gonna get paid to do this, I also expect some crystal clear mic quality, not that echo bullshit. As for actual material....you really need to flesh out your argument, get some transitions going, don't just repeat yourself while cursing and throwing random pictures up to keep your audience entertained. If you have to do that shit, your already doing it horribly wrong.

I'll watch again next week, but if it's the same thing as this was....sorry mate, but not a chance. This site has more than enough videos of people standing on figurative soapboxes talking about random game things.

JackSparrowSucks:
[quote="VenusInFurs" post="6.278156.10837995"]Hello, I came here over from Destructoid to support Jim, if it wasn't for that, I would have never step foot inside this elitist camp filled with nonsensical ramblings about a writer who has more talent then the pretentious Movie Bob or the tiring Yahtzee. Really, I wasn't going to leave a comment, but strolling down one page on this very comment section reminds me why I left The Escapist and never looked back.

No, wait, I meant:
hi-standerds suk.

Exactly, elitism rules this site. Disgusting.

PREACH ON BROTHER!!! that was fucking awesome.

Heres an idea. Want to advertise a newcomer to The Escapist? Don't be egocentric and fill the screen and prevent you from clicking on anything else with your advertisement! I'm not going to even give this video a second because of this.

Harbinger_:
Heres an idea. Want to advertise a newcomer to The Escapist? Don't be egocentric and fill the screen and prevent you from clicking on anything else with your advertisement! I'm not going to even give this video a second because of this.

THIS!!.

Couldn't 'next' the videos I was watching, Had to 'close window, find new video, open window'.. blah.

EDIT.. REALLY? I've written FAR worse than anything I've written in this thread, I was being nice I even edited before posting, and I get prob :oO Maybe T.E are really trying to punt this guy.... This is your future people, lol.

perfect compliment to my zp and extra credits, please add some more jokes please, being witty attracts attention, and keeps the viewer more into what you're saying.

I'm gonna be honest the only reason i gave it a shot was because the pic with the word lesbian on it..not bad all in all though his voice is somewhat annoying he did have a few good points....i still still feel tricked.

Not bad for a start, I suppose. I wish him the best of luck.

Also, how did Tommy Wiseau's Paint balls get past the censors?!

I like him. An open, honest approach, less special effects than Yahtzee and Extra Credits, that takes courage.

VenusInFurs:

JackSparrowSucks:
[quote="VenusInFurs" post="6.278156.10837995"]Hello, I came here over from Destructoid to support Jim, if it wasn't for that, I would have never step foot inside this elitist camp filled with nonsensical ramblings about a writer who has more talent then the pretentious Movie Bob or the tiring Yahtzee. Really, I wasn't going to leave a comment, but strolling down one page on this very comment section reminds me why I left The Escapist and never looked back.

No, wait, I meant:
hi-standerds suk.

Exactly, elitism rules this site. Disgusting.

Yeah, elitism does rule this site with an iron fist of snob; but we're not pretentious, we're not overbearing, we're not obnoxious; it's not like this elitism is detrimental. We don't look down on other gaming sites (I look down on Joystiq, though; those commenters are stupid-retarded, man.) and snob or circle jerk. We're actually all very debasing of the site, if you look close enough.

I don't want Jim "DA MISOGYNIST FROM WESTERN EUROPE, NIGGA" Sterling to go on here because of the people it'll attract. Moviebob's weird cult movie-show attract weird cult movie watchers, Yahtzee attracts people who hate everything about gaming today; what would this show attract?
The few Destructoid commenters that like him?
No, the type of disrespectful people who are like Jim.

Even if you like Jim, you can (YES, YOU CAN) come up with 2 volumes of criticism. Did I mention his misogyny yet?

yeah,

this guy sucks.

no need for him to stay.

no need for him to be here.

I started off holding my breath on this video. The title had me thinking it was another one of those "Games are toys" people. But I was pleasantly surprised. Heavy Rain was just a giant choose your own adventure quick time event. If you want good character writing (that's what I hear people clamoring on about in defense of HR) Then you should go try Mass Effect 1 & 2. It still has really good character and story writing AND you get to actually play a game.

Hey Jim, finally ditched those losers at Destructoid?

I'm just joking :P Nice to see you here though. Hope it's not a one time thing ^_^

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 30 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here