DLC, Again

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Therumancer:

sic...

I don't think your post was rude at all, Therumancer - I've yet to see a single post of yours that is. Don't put yourself down. Like you, I'm not against DLC so long as it's of a certain quality and isn't overpriced.

I remember the old expansion packs, one would pay a pretty penny to get them and yet, there was a certain guarantee of value from them - like Starcraft: Brood War or Fallout's Point Lookout. or even Dragon Age's Awakening.

Like you said, the main problem is the trivial stuff. DLC has fallen foul of Sturgeon's Law - for every gem there is out there, there's 5 tonnes of manure to dig through to get to it.

But other big two problems with DLC are...

1.) In-game locked content. If one paid for a game and the disc to play it on - they've already paid for the locked content. Which leads to problem 2...

2.) Stripping stuff out of the game and selling it as an extra. Much like Zaeed's Revenge did for Mass Effect 2 to discourage second hand sales. (I'm of the opinion that second hand sales are none of the devs or publisher's business - but is between the gamer and their retailer.)

Personally, I think developers and publishers should relax their stance on modding. In fact, they could really embrace it, STILL turn a profit and make everyone happy in one deft stroke. Remember the WADs disk that came with Doom 1 + 2? (Hundreds of extra levels, custom sounds and music and probably didn't cost Id Software much to produce - namely because the fans and the modders did all the donkey work.)

If a fan mod for Mass Effect 2 came out - surely it'd be in Bioware's best interests to let the modders do their thing. Maybe run a competition and the winner gets their mods voice acted or something.

Alas, with short sighted people with dollar signs in their eyeballs like Bobby Kotick running things - my post will be nothing more than a romanticised pipe-dream.

@Shamus Because it is greedy beyond the price tag and dishonorable; and by extension, insulting.

The key word is "shameless". Imagine if Toyota decided that all its cars would be sold only in bright green. When everyone's car is green, no one really gives a damn. But then Toyota "offers" you some other color for an extra fee like Project $1000 or something.

Not only would peeps call shenanigans, the competition would shame them into abandoning Project $1000 by pointing out how their lineup comes in whatever colors you want without an extra fee, just like real car dealerships today.

In video games today, be it the youth of the industry, big brand marketing or some cultural peculiarity, this shamelessness is being increasingly tolerated and even embraced.

So no, Shamus. You're right. It's not a crime. It's just shameful.

They're just not worth the money...

I wouldn't dare tell someone not to buy what they want...

...But why pay those prices for hats?... I will never know.

I think it's really dumb that valve has implemented this... I mean I've paid for a bucketload of DLC in a wide array of games... Mostly Rock Band but also the Halo series and Gears of War.

The reason being is that they're worth it... They're interactive because they're maps you can play in multiplayer. I bought them when my friends had bought them and they were a fair bit of fun to play.

Pretty much the only time I paid for cosmetic DLC was for Killing Floor... But that was for good reason... First of all they're packs of character skins and secondly they're only $2 for a group of 4... That's worth it, and what's more is that KF is a multiplayer experience that lasts way longer than Portal 2 which I've played in co-op twice and am not thinking about picking it up again sadly. I don't think valve thought too much about re-playability in the co-op when they were too busy thinking about hats.

I was thinking how about a series of sandbox levels where you could really have fun, that had no unportable surfaces and was essentially a series of large rooms with things to collect in hard to reach places with a time limit. This could implement laser, bombs, propulsion & repulsion gel and those gravitation defying pasages.

These things should be unlock-ables that become available when certain achievements/trophies are obtained. That way coalitionists will have more drive to win science again and again...

... Hang on thinking too much like Valve there lol :p

asterismW:

"I wouldn't mind tipping them that much. I really enjoyed the game."

If it makes you feel any better, consider it a tip jar, where you get a free knick knack for donating.

I couldn't agree more man. Spot on. This is why, as long as I like the main game enough, I'll happily buy what a company I respect puts out in terms of DLC. To this day I've never bought the RE5 multiplayer, not because I think it takes the piss that an entire mode was locked away, but because I thought the game was pap. But I've bought the Bioshock 1/2 DLC, I bought all the Mass Effects DLC, I bought the Arkham Asylum DLC, and I'll continue to support that games companies that make the games I truly love. When Crysis 2 gets DLC, it'll be a day 1 for me.

OT: Tell it like it is Shamus.

Nicolaus99:
@Shamus Because it is greedy beyond the price tag and dishonorable; and by extension, insulting.

The key word is "shameless". Imagine if Toyota decided that all its cars would be sold only in bright green. When everyone's car is green, no one really gives a damn. But then Toyota "offers" you some other color for an extra fee like Project $1000 or something.

Not only would peeps call shenanigans, the competition would shame them into abandoning Project $1000 by pointing out how their lineup comes in whatever colors you want without an extra fee, just like real car dealerships today.

In video games today, be it the youth of the industry, big brand marketing or some cultural peculiarity, this shamelessness is being increasingly tolerated and even embraced.

So no, Shamus. You're right. It's not a crime. It's just shameful.

I am so with you. "GAMERS EAT SHIT" is the new rallying cry for gamers everywhere. At some point it became completely unreasonable to expect quality product at a good value. If they sell overpriced shit and I say so, I'm the one who has done something wrong. Why are we so quick to betray our own interests? The argument that DLC does not represent diverted resources is bunk. Every game now is designed from the ground up to sell DLC, and you can no longer expect a complete experience right out of the box. It's certain that some DLC is unfinished content that we would never have seen otherwise, but this does not mean gamers are benefiting from the existence of DLC overall.

I miss expansion packs.

My only problem with Portal 2 hats is the price, since the multi-player isn't as replayable as TF2. Other than that, I have absolutely no issue with it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here