Jimquisition: Solving the Sexism Situation

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 22 NEXT

'sexism in gaming is a hot-potato issue right now.'
No kidding? Maybe it'll go away in a couple of weeks, I mean it is a pretty boring subject.

'I think the issue of sexism is overblown, and it is very easy to get caught up in our inability to differentiate between jokes from actual instances of hatred.'

For my part at least, the problem isn't the instances of extreme cruelty to women, I was never offended by the prostitutes in GTAIV, and the sexual representation of women in games has never seemed even remotely appealing. I don't get off on it. And neither do you. The problem is that the overall representation is incredibly over-simplified and for the most part non-existent. I recently tried to find a female character I related to in games. By focusing only on the complaints of the media, i.e. individual examples of gratuitousness, you fail to recognise the general trend of not having any decent female characters at all.

I wonder if I was the only woman who played portal 2 who felt grateful that they had produced such a brilliant female character in GlaDOS. *spoiler* I wonder more if other feminists shared my pang of grief at having to supplant her at the end of the first act of the game, with wheatley. A 'man'.

I think it's a damn shame you have been given the opportunity to babble about this subject with only a limited understanding of gender issues, and wa--ay more righteous indignation at the evil super-villain you label 'mass-media'. It is not a simple black and white issue, that games should be allowed to make stupid sexist jokes if they are stupid sexist games. Of course they can. But rather than balancing out the gender discrimination through costume design (something which is only relevant to an outside viewer; i.e. the media) we should trying to produce better female representations within games( something which actually impacts on the games experience.)

'we have to cater in this industry to vaginas just as much as penises, and if that's not equality I don't know what is!'

Your ignorance is astounding.

How dare you guys put up Jim Sterling videos I shall never come to your site again...instead of just not viewing his videos....

As a dude, I honestly find it a little insulting that devs think I'll buy a game based on nudity/semi-nudity. But yeah, this Duke thing is overblown, especially because Duke Nukem is basically a parody.

EDIT:

morganpony2:
The problem is that the overall representation is incredibly over-simplified and for the most part non-existent. I recently tried to find a female character I related to in games. By focusing only on the complaints of the media, i.e. individual examples of gratuitousness, you fail to recognise the general trend of not having any decent female characters at all.

QFT. It's not that just (or even mostly) that devs include big boobs, its that they seem to think giving a character big boobs is a substitute for developing her as a character.

Paraprax:

Lenin211:
Is this guy a joke or just awful?

An awful joke.

I know this is so late in the comments that few people probably read it, but I'll relink this anyway as I find it an interesting read and the main reason why I won't be watching anything this man produces in the future. http://gomakemeasandwich.blogspot.com/2011/02/in-his-words-why-jim-sterling-is-in.html

I've never really posted at all on this site, but I read topics and watch videos (and add to your revenue) on a daily basis and I've not encountered anyone on here (be they contributors or members) that have put me off of something as fast as mr Jim Sterling. I don't want to associate with people of his kind in any way, shape or form.

When/if this person (and I use that term loosely) is allowed to post a third piece of content, I will be deleting my user on here and find other sources for entertainment far improved over 'the jimquisition', such as drinking a broken glass of tabasco sauce - shards and all.

Goodbye Escapist (as I assume they'll still let this guy spew his vileness all across the intrawebs even with my feeble expression of disapproval), it was fun while it lasted.

Ps. Feel somewhat sheepish having voted for the escapist in that lifestyle award thingymajigg
Ds.

so your reasoning for disliking him is that he defended someone for a completely legitimate reason and no one really had a reason to be mad and someone attacked him personally over it so in the ensueing twitter fight where he fought back is some how wrong?

WilliamRLBaker:

Paraprax:

Lenin211:

An awful joke.

I know this is so late in the comments that few people probably read it, but I'll relink this anyway as I find it an interesting read and the main reason why I won't be watching anything this man produces in the future. http://gomakemeasandwich.blogspot.com/2011/02/in-his-words-why-jim-sterling-is-in.html

I've never really posted at all on this site, but I read topics and watch videos (and add to your revenue) on a daily basis and I've not encountered anyone on here (be they contributors or members) that have put me off of something as fast as mr Jim Sterling. I don't want to associate with people of his kind in any way, shape or form.

When/if this person (and I use that term loosely) is allowed to post a third piece of content, I will be deleting my user on here and find other sources for entertainment far improved over 'the jimquisition', such as drinking a broken glass of tabasco sauce - shards and all.

Goodbye Escapist (as I assume they'll still let this guy spew his vileness all across the intrawebs even with my feeble expression of disapproval), it was fun while it lasted.

Ps. Feel somewhat sheepish having voted for the escapist in that lifestyle award thingymajigg
Ds.

so your reasoning for disliking him is that he defended someone for a completely legitimate reason and no one really had a reason to be mad and someone attacked him personally over it so in the ensueing twitter fight where he fought back is some how wrong?

Obviously didn't read the Article, which is about the WAY he actec, which involved him personally attacking someone in a ridiculously over the top manner for a minor personal insult.

Video games are one of the few places that have not being touched by the PC hand of feminism. By the way, why is it when a church group tries to ban a game people rise up in arms, but when leftists menopausal cunts start doing the same thing you don't want to rip their heads off?

This is a big issue and we need to stamp it out before it gets bigger, to me gaming is all about bad language, big tits and gore, if you start down the PC road everyone will be playing Kirby's dream land, not that it's wrong to play it once in a while

unabomberman:

EmpressZombiKitty:

unabomberman:

You do realize that you have plenty of male blockheads to ogle, right? It's not like we dudes are underobjectified [sic], if that's how you want to define objectification that is. We just don't care as much--I certainly don't, really, but am merely pointing out the other side of the argument.

Also, there aren't that many studios, if there's even a single one, that cater to specific female tastes as there are for the male ones. If there were, along with more demographically geared great games we'd also have the equivalent of harlequin books, filled with swashbuckling assholes with chiseled chests who deep down are sensitive souls than can only be fully understood by either a horse tamer, a marine biologist, the reluctant heir of a corporate empire, etc. and, good lord, that's how equality would truly look like.

If I were to choose in a poll for more exposed men in games, sure I'd vote Yes for the amusement factor,(Like, I was amused by Chuck Greene in his boxers with a weird hat on.) but over all I don't care. It doesn't bring anything or take away from the game itself. The half-dressed woman don't offend me either. It's life. I'm a graphic designer and I've had to put plenty of scantily clad women in an ad to sell a product.

Plus, they're video game characters. If I want half-naked characters with an interesting story, I just watch true blood. lol

It does annoy me when I see a character like Ivy from Soul Calibur whose cup size goes up with every game it makes chuckle at the needless tackiness, or yet another Macho soldier cursing and flexing his biceps and little else.

The issue isn't the frequency of the half-dressed women but the infrequency of those that are little more than that. And that's why Jim's oppinion is wrong.

It's a tongue-in-cheek piece. I suspect Jim has been in the industry long enough to know that sexism in video games goes further than scantily clad boobies and Capture The Babe, and has far more to do with persistently weak characterisation (as you say); but his opinion is still pretty funny, and what's more, there's a sizeable grain of truth in it: women like to objectify too, and many wouldn't complain if they were given the opportunity to do it a little more often.

People are taking this entirely too seriously; this isn't Extra Credits.

Ben Hussong:

WilliamRLBaker:

Paraprax:

An awful joke.

Ds.

Obviously didn't read the Article, which is about the WAY he actec, which involved him personally attacking someone in a ridiculously over the top manner for a minor personal insult.

um I did read the article and it was a major personal insult met with a major personal insult.

CannibalRobots:

manythings:

Patton662:
He ain't wrong.

I wouldn't call him right either since it's clearly a piss take.

Clearly my ass, this guy isnt joking.

Then he is retarded. Name one problem "men in speedos" have ever fixed. (Spartans don't count.)

WilliamRLBaker:

Ben Hussong:

WilliamRLBaker:

um I did read the article and it was a major personal insult met with a major personal insult.

how is a insinuation of homosexuality a " major personal insult" yeah it's stupid and childish but this is the internet, things like that get tossed around all the time.

brownstudies:

No shit. They actually think before they speak.

brownstudies:

unabomberman:

EmpressZombiKitty:

If I were to choose in a poll for more exposed men in games, sure I'd vote Yes for the amusement factor,(Like, I was amused by Chuck Greene in his boxers with a weird hat on.) but over all I don't care. It doesn't bring anything or take away from the game itself. The half-dressed woman don't offend me either. It's life. I'm a graphic designer and I've had to put plenty of scantily clad women in an ad to sell a product.

Plus, they're video game characters. If I want half-naked characters with an interesting story, I just watch true blood. lol

It does annoy me when I see a character like Ivy from Soul Calibur whose cup size goes up with every game it makes chuckle at the needless tackiness, or yet another Macho soldier cursing and flexing his biceps and little else.

The issue isn't the frequency of the half-dressed women but the infrequency of those that are little more than that. And that's why Jim's oppinion is wrong.

It's a tongue-in-cheek piece. I suspect Jim has been in the industry long enough to know that sexism in video games goes further than scantily clad boobies and Capture The Babe, and has far more to do with persistently weak characterisation (as you say); but his opinion is still pretty funny, and what's more, there's a sizeable grain of truth in it: women like to objectify too, and many wouldn't complain if they were given the opportunity to do it a little more often.

Jim Sterling isn't exactly funny, then. But maybe that's just me.

Jesus Christ I hate this guy! If he's not going to make a point that isn't a joke, he should at least be able to make me laugh!

Wait... Is hiring this dufus the reason that I haven't seen Top 5 with Lisa in weeks? Did you fire Lisa!? I LOVED HER! ESCAPIST, I SMASH YOU!

Seriously though, I found Lisa's Top 5 instantly endearing and entertaining with its combination of references to obscure games and self deprecation. This... Jim... Person... Can't even be interesting enough to offend me. Thumbs down.

Ben Hussong:

WilliamRLBaker:

Ben Hussong:

how is a insinuation of homosexuality a " major personal insult" yeah it's stupid and childish but this is the internet, things like that get tossed around all the time.

How is the insinuation she was a feminazi slut a major personal insult?
See I can do it too...
Insults are subjective one person may not feel the same about a word or action like another will so its subjective it Seems to me someone got pissed off he defended something he perfectly had a right too and someone went out of their way to personally insult him so he responded in kind.

the blog posted talks about maturity and ignoring...yet refuses to apply such concepts to parties other then Jim Sterling.
It comes down to a point of hypocracy If jim is required to do all these things then the other side should as well but it seems thats not the case...It comes down to a simple fact he responded in kind to the insults being flung at him.

I found this episode to be leagues ahead of the first. His delivery was well paced and easier to follow ( I mean last episode, I didn't even get his point), and I even chuckled at a few bits. I suppose so long as the format continues to improve, this show will be good in a few more episodes.

As for the subject matter, I'm sure that Jim was just being funny, but I could go for some quasi-male nudity (Disclaimer: I'm a girl). I mean, I don't think it would make me feel any better about the girls fighting monsters in their panties, but maybe it would make sense if the boys were in their briefs as well (maybe there's a special power up from being in your underwear!) I mean, Kratos runs around in a skirt, which is why all the girls he's getting with wear revealing togas. Equal quasi-nudity. Also, those girls are clearly characterized to be whores -- which means they should be wearing next to nothing. But when you have some non-whore character with her bosoms falling out, it makes for confusion (I mean, isn't this the problem everyone had with Samus in The Other M? Other than the fact that she apparently became a complete nuisance of a person as well, which is also a problem with female characters, but ahhhhh ......)

Enough rambles. I could go on for days about this topic. I rather enjoyed this Jim. Considering that I only clicked on this on a whim, and came in expecting very little. So kudos.

EDIT: Didn't read the previous comments before leaving mine, so sorry if I sound repetitive.

I expected more from Jim on that topic... I think unless next weeks vid grabs me and won't let go, I'm giving it a miss.

I chuckled at the diddling Dukes balls comment though.

WilliamRLBaker:

Ben Hussong:

WilliamRLBaker:

How is the insinuation she was a feminazi slut a major personal insult?
See I can do it too...
Insults are subjective one person may not feel the same about a word or action like another will so its subjective it Seems to me someone got pissed off he defended something he perfectly had a right too and someone went out of their way to personally insult him so he responded in kind.

the blog posted talks about maturity and ignoring...yet refuses to apply such concepts to parties other then Jim Sterling.
It comes down to a point of hypocracy If jim is required to do all these things then the other side should as well but it seems thats not the case...It comes down to a simple fact he responded in kind to the insults being flung at him.

it's not that she didn't also act over the line its the how much more over the line Jim went, hell I can't even repeat most of the things he said without getting banned. They were both over the line, but he over retaliated to a ridiculous extent. This put together with his other comments compiled over time from that blog post, paint a not too pretty picture of his views, and it's hard to write, ALL of his comments away as being sarcastic. So the TLDNR version, they were both over the line somewhat, but he essentially took a M16 to a fistfight.

Xirema:
I really, 'really' like this guy, but we do need some sort of content disclaimer for him.

Great solution though.

The "content disclaimer" is the big pair of tits in the episode picture. If you click on that, and expect a kids show, something's SERIOUSLY wrong with you.

OT: I find this guy interesting, but I think he's more suited to a podcast, since putting this in video form didn't seem to add anything. I watched the video, then just listened to it without the video, and I lost nothing the second time.

Harry Mason:
Jesus Christ I hate this guy! If he's not going to make a point that isn't a joke, he should at least be able to make me laugh!

Wait... Is hiring this dufus the reason that I haven't seen Top 5 with Lisa in weeks? Did you fire Lisa!? I LOVED HER! ESCAPIST, I SMASH YOU!

Seriously though, I found Lisa's Top 5 instantly endearing and entertaining with its combination of references to obscure games and self deprecation. This... Jim... Person... Can't even be interesting enough to offend me. Thumbs down.

Oh and the fact she wears very skimpy clothes and corsets that push her chest out to amazing perportions.

Onyx Oblivion:
I like Jim, every since I found Dtoid.

He does need to lose those glasses, though.

Still think he should stick to issues like this, though.

That PLAYING IT WRONG one showcased a lot of bullshit in the game reviewing process.

For the main vid and these, I really like this guy. The brutal honesty reminds me about how I look at the world and these kind of scenarios. Bravo, Keep it up!

More of these please, and less of the Escapist promoting garbage like Zero day DLC.

[quote="Ben Hussong" post="6.281273.11010503
it's not that she didn't also act over the line its the how much more over the line Jim went, hell I can't even repeat most of the things he said without getting banned. They were both over the line, but he over retaliated to a ridiculous extent. This put together with his other comments compiled over time from that blog post, paint a not too pretty picture of his views, and it's hard to write, ALL of his comments away as being sarcastic. So the TLDNR version, they were both over the line somewhat, but he essentially took a M16 to a fistfight.[/quote]

the same can be said of daphney look through her history for a pretty bleak picture as well past comments should not reflect on anything as I said it comes down to a few facts.

A person didn't like jim and for some odd reason instead of ignoring him seemed to be his cyber stalker and follow everything he did and when she really didn't like what he said personally attacked him, he personally attacked her and she continued to attack back.
There is no worse party here there is 2 parties having a fight trying to reason one party as being more justified is fallacy since it can't be done atleast not and keep your cloak of objectivity.

morganpony2:

I wonder if I was the only woman who played portal 2 who felt grateful that they had produced such a brilliant female character in GlaDOS. *spoiler* I wonder more if other feminists shared my pang of grief at having to supplant her at the end of the first act of the game, with wheatley. A 'man'.

Sooo... Talking strictly about the CHARACTERS, you felt that removing the insane and homicidal tyrant from power was something that gave you 'grief' because she was an AI voiced by a woman, and not an AI voiced by a man?

Way to push feminism as something other then just anti-male bullshit...

WilliamRLBaker:

Harry Mason:

Oh and the fact she wears very skimpy clothes and corsets that push her chest out to amazing perportions.

Lisa's top 5 thingies aren't that interesting to be honest, but yeah, it's Lisa, what's not to love about her.

This just confirms how people still drive their judges based mostly on physical appearance. You would think that shouldn't be the case in a website full of, well, gamers, people that tend to have had cases of obesity or been bullied in their respective childhoods.

I think this guy makes pretty good points. Yeah sure he is a little weird with his glasses, his accent and his huge body, but I can't say I dislike him just because of that. I'll need to watch more issues of this in order to have a proper judgement.

WilliamRLBaker:

Harry Mason:

If the only thing you noticed that was good about the top five was how lisa dressed you need to serious rethink how you look at women.

I gave it another chance, but I can't come to like this guy in the slightest. I see where he is going, it just feels horribly amateurish; it's like I'm watching a poorly made YouTube video. Oh, well. To each their own and everything. He's just not for me.

Paraprax:

Lenin211:

An awful joke.

Ds.

Wat.

This is one of the biggest non sequiturs I've ever read. If one contributor gets three spots on a large website with tons of content, you'll delete your account?

There's no way you can justify that without coming across as having enormous entitlement issues.

Tin Man:

morganpony2:

Sooo... Talking strictly about the CHARACTERS, you felt that removing the insane and homicidal tyrant from power was something that gave you 'grief' because she was an AI voiced by a woman, and not an AI voiced by a man?

Way to push feminism as something other then just anti-male bullshit...

SPOILER: I had trouble putting GLaDOS in charge, as she clearly states while you are going to Wheatley's lair, because I didn't want her to be in power again. Wheatley was very charming and funny and I somehow wanted to SABOTAGE Aperture Science by letting him blow the whole place up, but I found myself forced to solve the situation. I wonder if this was something Valve intentionally planed or it was just me. Wheatley is just too charming and funny for me to hate him, GLaDOS, in the other hand...

WilliamRLBaker:
[quote="Ben Hussong" post="6.281273.11010503
it's not that she didn't also act over the line its the how much more over the line Jim went, hell I can't even repeat most of the things he said without getting banned. They were both over the line, but he over retaliated to a ridiculous extent. This put together with his other comments compiled over time from that blog post, paint a not too pretty picture of his views, and it's hard to write, ALL of his comments away as being sarcastic. So the TLDNR version, they were both over the line somewhat, but he essentially took a M16 to a fistfight.[/quote]

the same can be said of daphney look through her history for a pretty bleak picture as well past comments should not reflect on anything as I said it comes down to a few facts.

A person didn't like jim and for some odd reason instead of ignoring him seemed to be his cyber stalker and follow everything he did and when she really didn't like what he said personally attacked him, he personally attacked her and she continued to attack back.
There is no worse party here there is 2 parties having a fight trying to reason one party as being more justified is fallacy since it can't be done atleast not and keep your cloak of objectivity.

BTW, i'd like to point out the main point of that post wasn't solely the fight between daph and jim, but his overall apparent attitude towards women in general. I kinda got sidetracked about it as well. Im willing to yield the fight issue though since they were both idiots in it, and its kinda hard in such a situation to claim who was less of one.

Harry Mason:

I find myself thinking something along same lines. At the risk of being called shallow for preferring a video series presented by an attractive girl over the one presented by the fat bloke (hey, just saying what I see here) but not only were Lisa's top 5's entertaining in their way, the little skits that bookended them were often just as, if not more entertaining that the top 5's themselves.

Still, maybe it's just a coincidence that we haven't seen a Top 5 video in 2 weeks and this video series has being going on for the same length of time. Anyway, I guess this video series just isn't for me.

Okay, a small chuckle, and he refrained from bashing anything/anyone using retarded troll techniques this time, so it's an improvement...

Still weak though... I'll check it next again. If it won't become either a comedy gold, or a fountain of insight, then consider me out of this thing.

morganpony2:

Jesus fucking christ. I don't even know where to begin with this thrown together turd of a comment. Jim wasn't even engaging with a feminist complaint, he was dealing with the anti-sexual complaints of Fox news. 'leftist menopausal cunts' had nothing to do with it, you charming man.

Yeah, fox news complains and people start bitching about it, but when leftist fags on this site bitch about the same shit, no one says anything: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2868-True-Female-Characters

I don't need to see that paint drawing.Seriously,what's he doing here?

Zing:
I'm sorry but how the hell is Jim any more vulgar than Yahtzee? That makes no sense to me at all.

I see several pages have passed, so sorry if you've been addressed several times on this already. But for my two cents, the big difference is comedic timing and delivery. Yahtzee was very strong in the beginning at placing his vulgarities at moments that emphasized the humour with punch. Although he's not been quite as strong as it in recent episodes, he still understands the concept and does what he can. Jim just throws swear words in there as filler in hopes that we laugh simply because he swore. It sounds strange, but even vulgarity takes skill to pull off effectively.

Levethian:

Iron Lightning:
*Snip*

Men project ideal personalities onto anonymous women, and vice-versa.

Well, perhaps you do. I don't think that I've ever, consciously or unconsciously, made an assumption about the character of anonymous women. Even if I was in the practice of ascribing personality to anonymous women, I would still not be objectifying them as Jim suggests that I'm hardwired to do. If anything I would be giving them more personality.

A half-naked man does not 'counteract' the positive effects of a half-naked woman, and vice-versa.

I disagree, try spending a minute staring at a Playboy then spend a minute staring at a Playgirl. Unless you're happily bisexual I don't think you would come off feeling particularly horny. Even if you did feel that way, I'm sure that you would prefer staring at one magazine exclusively to both magazines.

It isn't "Jim's assertion that sex sells", it is known. This is why you don't see enough 'normal-looking' people in adverts & on aspirational shows.

Way to misquote me. My complete sentence was: "Jim's assertion that sex sells and therefore we should sell sex to both men and women simultaneously is a logical fallacy." I was never questioning the fact that sex sells, just that combining male and female quasi-nudity in a game is a profitable idea. Which it most certainly is not, you can't successfully pander to both sexes at the same time. In the future, please finish reading posts before responding to them.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 22 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)