Is E3 Worth It?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Zaverexus:
I love that they both ignore Sterling

Did you read the same article I did? They all "ignored" each other. Jim ignored James and Yahtzee, James ignored Jim and Yahtzee, and Yahtzee ignored James and Jim. This was less a discussion and more three interviews put together into the same article.

While MovieBob has been pretty disappointing lately I have to say I was pretty horrified that they put Jim there instead. Thankfully I was mistaken and found myself pretty much agreeing with what he said, and to be honest, MovieBob would have just raved about Nintendo on top of a less thought out version of what Jim said anyway. Though I can definitely see Yahtzee's point, it doesn't usually pay to get worked up over what happens at E3, though his delivery was a little dry and cynical. So yeah, good episode.

Aprilgold:
I can't help but not read Jim's opions in this. Its not that I don't like reading, its just he plays himself as a complete joke who shouldn't be taken seriously. Its like if you had a good friend who was always messing with you and only you but always went to the who "I was joking." Excuse, thats praticually what Jim is to me at this point, a funny friend who jokes more then he should, but then tries to be taken seriously out of the blue, its hard to read or watch him without laughing in hopes that he is joking or if hes being straight up.

Oh, sorry, yes E3. I agree with yahtzee on many things and E3 is one of them, but also see what the Extra Credits Writer had as well [why can I never remember his name.] on both that its usually only good as something slightly surprising and a " Oh I didn't know that." moment, and probably the exclusiveness to it is more of a press event for people to shoot games at journalists, then to gamers, instead of going straight to gamers.

I forgot:
"I expect Nintendo to continue pulling this massive, multi-billion-dollar practical joke it's been playing for the last few years. "Casual gaming and motion controls are the future," it declared."
No, that's what you declared.
""Look, we're doing it too, look!" cried Sony and Microsoft desperately. "LOL J/K," went Nintendo. "Here's some overbloated hardware paid for by all the shitheads and their money.""
Once again, this is what you declared. Yahtzee has such a warped perspective of Nintendo and the game industry.
"Anyone who buys them is a traitor to us all."
What else does this deserve besides a straight up, go fuck yourself?

1st line: A ton of people, journalists and some Execs said it was the future. So not only Yahtzee isn't the only one that declared it.
2nd: Isn't his wharped perspective what makes him entertaining? And the fact that nintendo THEM SELVES stand by their motion control decision then rip it from their new console isn't exactly good for them, including they themselves said it was the future.
3rd: It could be a straight F u, but then again it could be worse then that.
My question: how long do you think motion controls will last? Seriously, how many more consoles do you think it will last?
still, your comment did make me think of why I started hating sony and microsoft a little bit more on the inside.

On, E3, my own opinion on the subject could be said straightly as this, its not worth it, and is only one long, boring speech, same speech at everywhere but slightly changed.

On the 1st point) I was actually making a point that Yahtzee was only putting words in Nintendo's mouth. It had nothing to do with what journalists or execs say.

On the 2nd point) No, it doesn't. He's only entertaining when he's being reasonable and when his jokes aren't abstract convoluted metaphors that just yell "trying too hard" (which is very few times). Also, there's no proof that Nintendo ripped motion controls from the new console. We don't have any hard facts about it.

Your question: I think it will last for the rest of gaming unless the matrix replaces it. The problem is most 3rd party developers have been retarded and made swinging activate what's essentially a binary function. To figure out it's possiblities, think of a mouse but with an added Z-axis, the ability to record it's orientation and it's acceleration on all 3 axis. You can do alot with that.

Sorry but as soon as I found out that Jim was involved in this I stopped reading.

Then I went and read everything but what he said.

Finally, something Jim wrote that I can read without rolling my eyes so hard my ophtalmologist starts gritting his teeth.

Yeah, the 'is it worth it?' question is pretty much at the heart of any sort of marketing campaign that goes further than 'buy two get one free!' It's impossible to get some sort of hard value on things like goodwill and consumer loyalty. In the end, marketers are pretty much just eyeballing it. So asking that question in relation to E3 is kind of like asking 'is there an absolute definition for good and evil, or are they relative concepts?' when talking about Fallout 3's karma meter. The hole is way further down.

I also agree with James (wow, I'm agreeing with everyone I usually don't like today) that E3 is not so much a display of the industry as it is a bunch of salespeople and people who are not salespeople trying to act like salespeople. You can see that everyone there tries to stick to a script and any deviance is met with, at best, awkwardness. You can't have a real conversation about games at E3. I don't think it's worth it, if you're going to do a trade show call it so.

Also, I follow Xbox Live's twitter feed, and they reported live on Microsoft's show, and essentially every announcement can be summed up as 'Big Xbox Franchise's next installment will have Kinect support'. As if I could care less.

I forgot:

It's almost as if Yahtzee is not being entirely truthful in this account for the sake of comedy, isn't it? But such a thing could never happen. GO FUCK YOURSELF YAHTZEE, YOU SERIOUS PERSON WITHOUT A SENSE OF HUMOUR.

I actually agree with Jim. I think E3 fills a need in the industry. Even if the powers that be suddenly decided to fold their arms and refuse to do it, the press would just find their way to another show. Soon PAX would become the showy spectacle that James and Yahtzee are denouncing. Or some other show. If not E3, it'll just be something else, so why not have something that we recognize? Do we really need another PAX-like show when we already have PAX? Why are we even questioning E3? It's not like it's doing any harm to the industry, at least not since it became press and industry only.

I get that the Escapist likes to ask the tough questions sometimes, but this one felt a little half-hearted. Like they thought "well we can't all just jump on the bandwagon, right? Gotta appeal to the hipster demographic." /shrug

Barring all that, what do you wish would be there but isn't going to be?

James Portnow: People who buy games...

I've been all around the Convention Center the past couple days and the people I see wearing the badges are not a bunch of stuffy reporters (although there are some of those). They look like my gamer friends, like yours. The people who work in games are the sort of people that play games too. They're the same bright-eyed geeks and nerds that we're all proud to be and E3 is still a great event for gamers in that sense. Obviously an event like PAX is way more consumer-oriented because of its attendance policies, but I don't think that in any way discounts what E3 is for both the industry and its fans.

I think E3 is horrible. It's just a way to gain attention. You can get most of the trailers online.
They just announce the same games every year. Seriously what the point of hyping any EA sports. Its the same game as before. it would be a bigger suprise if they go "No more madden"

It's all sequels.

Most of the original games won't even see the light of day. Whats the point of getting hyped over things that arent going to happen.

From 3D to touchscreen controllers, Nintendo is moving from "silly gimmicks" to "painfully silly gimmicks". I don't mind flicking my wrist to make a character spin around, but I refuse to tilt and move my head around.
As for portable HD on the NGP, I... already have a PSP and DS and don't want to have another wire and small game box. If Sony pastes inFamous (2) on there, then I'll be interested.

Being a long term fan of Jim Sterling and Yahtzee, I cant help but get excited when I see them sharing an article.

I have to agree with Sterling on this one, I think E3 really is an exciting showcase for all the consoles.

I'm hoping Mistwalker's 'The Last Story' can fly its way over to Europe and that Deadly Premonition 2 is announced... Maybe Yahtzee is right in that I shouldn't get my hopes up.

If memory serves correctly: E3 is the result of an attempt some years ago to move Summer CES from Chicago, IL, to Philadelphia, PA. This represented an enormous inconvenience to the exhibitors, and enough of them said, "Screw this," that Summer CES pretty much died right then.

That didn't assuage the desire for a summertime marketing event, especially for the entertainment-oriented vendors, for whom Summer CES represented their major opportunity to drum up Christmas sales. And thus was born E3.

In other words: E3 has always been a sales and marketing event, since it was born from the ashes of a sales and marketing event. Any consideration given to gamers or game developers is secondary and, in all likelihood, entirely accidental.

I thought that there was talk to get rid of E3 in favor of something else like E3, but more... serious? Probably no the word, but basically more "hardcore" and tech focused and such.

I don't really have a problem with E3. Since I've never attended, I don't know what it's like to be right there in the thick of the action. As a Canadian gamer, I enjoy the inundation of new video game footage for a few days from the comfort of my igloo. I can browse the press conferences and individual videos at my leisure which is fine by me.

A few years back, before E3 tried the "serious convention" bit and then realized none of the participants, I think E3 was a far more important event. Was it worth going to? Maybe not, but I do think it was worth having.

Today there are so many gaming conventions that the importance of E3 has dwindled and I think some of the other cons have a better idea of what makes for a good event. Perhaps some people in the industry would disagree, and even as a fan I've never been to one of these, but sitting on the side-lines (that is, reading about them on the internet) E3 no longer does much for me but PAX looks great.

Said it before, saying it again: these are much better without MovieBob's drivel.

I forgot:

Aprilgold:
I can't help but not read Jim's opions in this. Its not that I don't like reading, its just he plays himself as a complete joke who shouldn't be taken seriously. Its like if you had a good friend who was always messing with you and only you but always went to the who "I was joking." Excuse, thats praticually what Jim is to me at this point, a funny friend who jokes more then he should, but then tries to be taken seriously out of the blue, its hard to read or watch him without laughing in hopes that he is joking or if hes being straight up.

Oh, sorry, yes E3. I agree with yahtzee on many things and E3 is one of them, but also see what the Extra Credits Writer had as well [why can I never remember his name.] on both that its usually only good as something slightly surprising and a " Oh I didn't know that." moment, and probably the exclusiveness to it is more of a press event for people to shoot games at journalists, then to gamers, instead of going straight to gamers.

I forgot:
"I expect Nintendo to continue pulling this massive, multi-billion-dollar practical joke it's been playing for the last few years. "Casual gaming and motion controls are the future," it declared."
No, that's what you declared.
""Look, we're doing it too, look!" cried Sony and Microsoft desperately. "LOL J/K," went Nintendo. "Here's some overbloated hardware paid for by all the shitheads and their money.""
Once again, this is what you declared. Yahtzee has such a warped perspective of Nintendo and the game industry.
"Anyone who buys them is a traitor to us all."

1st line: A ton of people, journalists and some Execs said it was the future. So not only Yahtzee isn't the only one that declared it.
2nd: Isn't his wharped perspective what makes him entertaining? And the fact that nintendo THEM SELVES stand by their motion control decision then rip it from their new console isn't exactly good for them, including they themselves said it was the future.
3rd: It could be a straight F u, but then again it could be worse then that.
My question: how long do you think motion controls will last? Seriously, how many more consoles do you think it will last?
still, your comment did make me think of why I started hating sony and microsoft a little bit more on the inside.

On, E3, my own opinion on the subject could be said straightly as this, its not worth it, and is only one long, boring speech, same speech at everywhere but slightly changed.

On the 1st point) I was actually making a point that Yahtzee was only putting words in Nintendo's mouth. It had nothing to do with what journalists or execs say.

On the 2nd point) No, it doesn't. He's only entertaining when he's being reasonable and when his jokes aren't abstract convoluted metaphors that just yell "trying too hard" (which is very few times). Also, there's no proof that Nintendo ripped motion controls from the new console. We don't have any hard facts about it.

Your question: I think it will last for the rest of gaming unless the matrix replaces it. The problem is most 3rd party developers have been retarded and made swinging activate what's essentially a binary function. To figure out it's possiblities, think of a mouse but with an added Z-axis, the ability to record it's orientation and it's acceleration on all 3 axis. You can do alot with that.

Aw, thanks for clarifying, and I really didn't know much of that, thanks.

Towards project cafe: It's possible the screen on your controller will also show whatever's on your part of the big screen (ie, less like the nintendo DS and more like an ipad with a stylus)

Personally, I love E3. It's the first time we get to see actual gameplay for a lot of coming releases, it means some fucking awesome new titles to be announced, and, in recent years, it's meant a sweet new TOR cinematic. :P

I don't care that it's a hype machine, because beneath that hype, it means that there's actually something to get excited about.

Jesus Christ can anymore people jump on the hate Jim Bandwagon? We get it, you don't like it. Stop babbling about it then. I like him just fine but don't go into every article praising and giving him accolades. Just lay off.

who knows maybe Nintendo will announce a new ip. i don't expect them to do that since it's much easier to just rely on existing money printing franchises in stead; just like they always do.

that being said i would like to hear more about skyward sword

Wow, I'm not the only person who laments we'll probably never see Edge of Twilight. Thanks, Jim.

I like this feature (anything to get more insight from Yahtzee and James Portnow), but if the Escapist wants to have a real rumble instead of this passive-aggressive consensus, have Yahtzee and MovieBob trade blows over Nintendo's significance. Maybe add Shamus to the mix to represent the PC Gaming Master Race. Just sayin'.

Seriously, this touch screen bullshit with project cafe has to be the worst fucking idea Nintendo has had since...well the Wii controller.

Nothing is going to ruin immersion more than having keep looking down at the big fucking colerful plastic controller in my hands.

Remember when immersion used to be important?

Wow, I never thought I'd see James this cynical... And Jim this optimistic! Yahtzee, on the other hand, acts the same way he does every E3.

Finding it really hard to get excited for E3 after Digital Cowboys trolled me for a good half hour before I realised what was going on. To be fair, I wasnt near a computer, had no idea when E3 was on, and I dont follow Microsoft news that much since I dont own an Xbox.

James is right with his point about it having to really be that super-big to attract some 'mainstream' press attention via the big companies all blowing their loads at once but as par as i am concerned this is part of the problem. Most interesting/smaller/New Ip games are annouced Pre-E3 to avoid the sheer mass of noise and bullshit the event creates. It is a marketing event for the gaming press. Nothing sums this up more than Activision's decision last year just to cut out the middle man and actually throw the gaming press a party with great acts and free beer [1].

Its also a time for gimmicky stunts, mass market positioning and criminal underreporting of the interesting titles that are not "Mass Appeal money-spinner no.X". It will all be MW3, Wii2, a MW3 counter hit from EA and some "hint-hint" work by Microsoft and Sony. Everyone will be pumpming us full of hype and everyone will be tightly on message. It's like IGN on steroids. There is very little Analysis to be had out of E3 apart from how foolish some of the gaming press can look.

[1] Where is my free beer activision? :' (

Hexenwolf:
WOW. Jim comes across SO much better in text than in video. It's honestly very shocking. In this particular article, I agreed with him much more than Yahtzee and James (which is unusual, cause normally I like both their opinions).

Ditto. Now if he gets rid of that awful picture, takes off the sunglasses and replaces talking with full-time writing, I wouldn't mind him sticking around at The Escapist at all.

I've been with Yahtzee for a while now. I used to get extremely excited about E3 since that's when all the biggest news came out. I remember having my mind absolutely blown by the Final Fantasy XIII teaser in 2006, especially since XII came out. Even in the two boring years that followed there were some relatively exciting announcements. However, after E3 2008 I've gotten excited about the event and then crashed pretty hard each time. So I don't really expect anything great out of that show anymore, and am pleasantly surprised if something interesting does pop up. Developers don't necessarily rely on E3 to make announcements anymore, so big news can come any time of the year.

Harbinger_:
Sorry but as soon as I found out that Jim was involved in this I stopped reading.

Well done at ignoring the best parts of the article, then.

Sentox6:

Harbinger_:

Well done at ignoring the best parts of the article, then.

I thank you for your opinion but its not an opinion that I share.

Even though I somehow agree with not getting my hopes up, I would very much like to know the times Yahtzee got burned. Perhaps an extra punctuation about these.

Harbinger_:

I would expect not, seeing as you didn't read it.

Whatever opinion you do have is unfounded by your own admission, at any rate.

Irridium:
I'm hoping this E3 will bring some form of Timesplitters announcement.

Far-fetched, yes, but I don't care. I wants me some more Timesplitters dammit!

With they way Crytek has been shamefully ignoring the fanbase who have been crying for this game it'll only be announced about 2 days before the end of the world.
Crytek has it out for us all! :O

Sentox6:

Harbinger_:

I would expect not, seeing as you didn't read it.

Whatever opinion you do have is unfounded by your own admission, at any rate.

I've seen other things he's done and didn't enjoy them. I don't take kindly to a contributor to the site insulting potential viewers because they don't like his content. Professionals are supposed to act professional. You like his stuff, thats fine. Not everyone else has to.

Extra Consideration:
Extra Consideration: Is E3 Worth It?

Is all the pomp and circumstance of E3 worth the trouble?

Read Full Article

To James:

Don't feel bad. It is a little sad when one of the most visible and most talked-about events is essentially just one big free-for-all commercial. A clutter of chaotic bluffing, it's like Texas Hold'Em mixed with Super Smash Bros.

To Jim:

I think what you love about E3 is exactly what I hate. All of the balls-out announcements (read: hype) read with an overly excited tone of voice is designed specifically to get the audience excited. About what? Who the hell knows? You just want them excited while they're looking at your logo. Because excited people don't ask questions, unless that question is "When can I pre-order?"

To Yahtzee:

The only benefit I can see to a touch screen in the controller is that it allows you to change what buttons appear on your controller, without needing a new controller for each game. But something like that is probably pretty alienating to the audience, as they'll have to learn a brand new layout for every single game. Alternately, most games will use the same layout, making the gimmick meaningless.

The other possibility is putting HUD elements on the controller. To my mind, this entirely defeats the purpose of a HUD--it wasn't designed for its aesthetic appeal, it was designed so you could access relevant information without taking your eyes off the task at hand.

I've never really seen that much of E3, but I never really cared for it. This has shed a light on what E3 is for me.

Also, Why can't Jim talk like this in his Jimquisition? Here he shows he has good points, and he is doing it without saying "fuck" every 3 words (not offended, just annoyed). His point comes across better when he is just being calm and swears less. Ah well, still nice discussion

Eri:
Jesus Christ can anymore people jump on the hate Jim Bandwagon? We get it, you don't like it. Stop babbling about it then. I like him just fine but don't go into every article praising and giving him accolades. Just lay off.

The jimquisition... what a show
The jimquisition... here we go
I know your wishin... that we'd go awayyyyy
But the jimquisitions here... and its here... to... stayyyyyy

Not disagreeing wiith your point at all, just need an excuse to post this. Mel brooks is the man.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here