Escape to the Movies: Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Don't worry Bob, next year should rule for movies. Batman, Superman, Brave, The Hobbit...

Onyx Oblivion:
I like Transformers. AND YES. EVEN THE BAYSPLOSIONS. And I like Shia, too.

WHY SHOULD I NOT VOTE AND DRIVE BOB?

Because you're obviously an inferior being and should be locked up or something. I mean, we let people with IQs of 50 vote and drive but you Transformers fans should be put on an island with the pedophiles or something. </sarcasm>

Honestly, I don't like Bay's movies and agree with some of Bob's points but this sort of self-superior Jimquisition-esque trying-to-be-Yahtzee-and-failing insult-the-audience ranting is just.... It's the reason I don't recommend MovieBob to people. Ever. I watch the reviews, yes, because he's one of the few reviewers who tends to be more hit than miss with me. But he just goes off on these tangents like he hasn't gotten over junior high yet.

It's kind of like knowing a guy who's really great, and you like him, but once a year at random he just starts screaming racist jokes in public for no reason. You like the guy and want to be around him but you're too petrified you're going to be there when he goes off and you don't want to be associated with that, so you visit but never go out in public with him.

MowDownJoe:

Samoftherocks:
What did Nimoy do?

He apparently makes a cameo in this film.

Uh, he's the voice of Sentinel Prime, the mech mentioned in the review?

Might have something to do with that.

Disliking the Transformers movies doesn't make you a snob, it makes you human.

I can understand that someone enjoys The Matrix sequels.
I can see why people might look kindly at X-Men 3 and Wolverine.
I can fathom that the Star Wars prequels would be to someone's liking.
And yes, I can go as far to say that I can entertain the thought of Indiana Jones 4 having fans.

But the Transformers movies; no!

KnowYourOnion:

On a side note are you trying to imply that there is something wrong with legalised abortions?

Actually, I was referencing another Bob video (TGO) where he said just that. Implying that people should be aborted who like a particular type of music is pretty heinous.

TheLastTatlFan:

UNKNOWNINCOGNITO:
I liked them. What exactly is wrong with these movies ? I fail to understand why it is terrible.

Check out his column. The title of it implies a fanboy-free analysis of why Transformers 3 is a terrible movie, and since the problems of the first and second movies were basically the same, I'm betting this breakdown of the third will apply to them all.

I tried looking around on google and threw his blogspot but could not find what you were specifying. Could you please direct me to the correct link ? Much appreciated.

worldruler8:

Battle Catman:

nintendo414:
Did nimoy do something?

He voices Sentinel Prime and uses an old Star Trek quote "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

I don't see why Bob's taking such offense to it--it's an appropriate line considering the situation.

SPOILER ALERT
well, he was only destroying the race of 7 billion humans to safe what was left of the people of cybertron. which seems to be less then 7 billion.
END SPOILER ALERT

Considering what Bob mentioned the message of the movie is(STAY IN THE WAR MUTHAF***ERS), that also conflicts with the message of Star Trek (Enlightenment and Peace).

I haven't seen the movie yet so I can't say for sure, but going by what I just heard about Nimoys role in Transformers is, I imagine it looks as though dear Mr. Spock is going back on what he used to believe.
Again, just based of what I know of StarTrek and what I heard in this review.

I agree that the movie was bad, but I would have to say that it actually seamed worse that the first shitty sequel.

And at the beginning, Optimus openly admits that the Autobots are essentially acting as merceners for the US Government, WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the new shiny dodad they had to find I actually liked that part because it made all the movies make since when put together.
Think about the Deceptacons plans if nothing had gone wrong.
1. Megatron comes to earth to retrieve the all-spark, not to rebuild Cybertron but to give him the advantage over the Auotobots and turn earth's machines into an army (even though he landed hundreds of years ago and we didn't have so much as a tin-opener but OK whatever).
2. Once Optimus had been defeated the fallen would come out of hiding, he and megatron would scorer the earth for the matrix of leadership, Jetfire would still be on their side so he would give them the information he had thus speeding up their search. The fallen would activate that machine that turns the sun into energon (or whatever the hell it was meant to do).
3. Megatron resurrects Vector-Prime who activates the space bridge and brings Cybertron to earth. With the energon, earth's natural resources, human slaves and the machine race created by the all-spark they rebuild Cybertron,....... and inevitably Vector-Prime, Megatron, and The Fallen fight for control (or enter another stupid rock paper scissors thing), and only one of these three stages has to succeed for the Deceptacons to win, It's one of the best evil plans I've ever seen, to bad it was unintentional and we had to sit through so much bullshit to see it.

RJ Dalton:

Arkvoodle:
Michael Bay's interpretation of things is by no means the worst thing to ever happen to Transformers.

Dare I ask what was?

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Kiss_Play

In a way I think the live-action Transformers films are somewhat like the "Cars" films from Pixar: stupid stuff that makes easy money that funds better and better projects.

And Hasbro certainly puts the money earned by Bay's films to good use- the resulting cartoon shows made after the movies have been some of the best Transformers-related entertainment in decades; featuring excellent action and storytelling.

I remember back in '09, when Bruno (Sacha Baron Cohen) was on Letterman, he described his movie saying it was "like Transformsers, but not as gay."

I have no additional comment on that. Just thought I'd let you know.

I just read the movie synopsis on wiki to see how movie went...I have no words...I can't say it's bad (as I know enough about plot development to comment as much as a roach)...but it feels uninspired. Glad to know I'm saving money to see captain america by avoiding this.

I was done after the second movie. I didn't mind the first so much, but the second one was so....ugh that I knew that I wouldn't go through a third one.

I'm so worried about Captain America... that's the one movie I was interested in that I have no idea where it'll be in quality. Next Dark Knight? Or Batman and Robin? It could fall ANYWHERE in that spectrum.

PsychedelicDiamond:
Well... at least they did replace Megan Fox with an actual good looking actress. I mean, i'm still not going to see the movie but... hey, no Megan Fox, it's certainly a pretty big plus.

However, she does manage what I thought was impossible by having EVEN LESS PERSONALITY than Megan Fox.

btw what has Mr Nemoy done to earn Bob's ire at the end of this video (apart from being related to Michael Bay obviously)?

Canadish:

worldruler8:

Battle Catman:

He voices Sentinel Prime and uses an old Star Trek quote "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

I don't see why Bob's taking such offense to it--it's an appropriate line considering the situation.

SPOILER ALERT
well, he was only destroying the race of 7 billion humans to safe what was left of the people of cybertron. which seems to be less then 7 billion.
END SPOILER ALERT

Considering what Bob mentioned the message of the movie is(STAY IN THE WAR MUTHAF***ERS), that also conflicts with the message of Star Trek was (Enlightenment and Peace).

I haven't seen the movie yet so I can't say for sure, but going by what I just heard about Nimoys role in Transformers is, I imagine it looks as though dear Mr. Spock is going back on what he used to believe.
Again, just based of what I know of StarTrek and what I heard in this review.

But Sentinel Prime isn't Spock. Nimoy isn't really Spock. They're just characters. This would be as illogical (see what I did there?) as expecting every character Liam Neeson plays to have a lightsaber and have trained Batman (though after watching "Taken," I wouldn't put it past him).

Not to mention Nimoy voiced Galvatron in the 80's cartoon Transformers movie, so playing a robot who has no qualms about blasting those who oppose him isn't completely new to him.

Although I'm not doubting how shitty this movie is, I said it before and I'll say it again:

STOP INSULTING THE AUDIENCE THAT LIKES IT.

It isn't funny. It isn't witty. It isn't some great statement on how "the people are at fault for bad movies". It does nothing but make you look like a dick.

Rip the movie to shreds. Call it every insult in the book. But STOP insulting those that do like it. Personal taste in movies does not have a direct correlation with intelligence.

No Pink Flyod reference. I am dissapoint.

i still like it. and i also think its better then the last 2 but would not say its great. yes, i also dont care about the humans but well, there are worse movies out there, like these from uwe boll.
i rather give mr. bay an oscar then boll.

You mean Unicron isn't in it? Ok, now even I am disappointed.

BTW, what did Lenard Nimoy do?

A few of my friends have terrible taste so we saw DotM. It's not as offensive as RotF but that doesn't make it any good. And it's just way too long. The climactic action sequence may actually look nice at some points but it's stretched out mercilessly just like everything else in the entire film. Also, I feel like I should be bothered by how casually Fox's role is completely forgotten. She was supposed to be fairly important to Shia, right? But he starts DotM already in a new relationship and everyone pretends there wasn't some other girl deeply involved in all that alien nonsense. I'd probably be upset if I cared about the characters at all. I guess it's not that noticeable since the new girl is just as bad an actress as Ms. Fox.

i cant wait for cap america, cause its like a birthday present from marvel, 7/22 hell yeah

The Transformers movies are poison on my brain.

And I give Scalila (however you pronounce it) eight months, tops.

ZeroMachine:
Although I'm not doubting how shitty this movie is, I said it before and I'll say it again:

It isn't funny. It isn't witty. It isn't some great statement on how "the people are at fault for bad movies". It does nothing but make you look like a dick.

Rip the movie to shreds. Call it every insult in the book. But STOP insulting those that do like it. Personal taste in movies does not have a direct correlation with intelligence.

I agree with this 100%

I'm a Transformers fan, I saw the movie and I enjoyed it. Did it have it's issues. Sure. Do I hate Bay's take on it. Sure. Do I wish the movies were more about the bots themselves? Sure.

Is this an emmy winner? Probably not unless it is for sound design or special effects.

Having said that, while I agree with some points in this review, it is absolutely clear that this guys movie reviews are growing increasingly bias. It is almost as if he is trying to become the Yahtzee of movie reviews lately, without outright saying he is and trying to maintain credibility. Yahtzee at least has a charming humor about him when he does it though. Bob just sounds like a depressed life hater when he rants.

I won't be watching these reviews anymore. It isn't because I'm butt hurt over him bashing Transformers, or other movies, but because these reviews feel increasingly unprofessional, and more of fan boy depression rants.

Smokescreen:
I am reminded of Bill Hicks's bit-- "People say, 'Don't be hard on the New Kids [on the Block], Bill. They're good kids. They're role models.' When did banality and mediocrity become good examples for your children? They are demons sent to the earth to LOWER THE STANDARD."

And so it goes.

Two bona fide Hicks videos coming up, sir!

And so the message spreads...

ZeroMachine:

The second I finished watching this my phone rang. My idiot friend invited me to watch this today. Incidentally he is not smart and likes bad movies. I will be going to watch this today and I will enjoy it. As Louis CK said "you don't have to be smart to laugh at a fart joke but you have to be stupid not to." Were was my point? Oh ya I'm not sure bob enjoys movie anymore.

Indecently are there more racist-bots in this one? Because those did ruin TF2.

Don't worry, Bob. The money I would have spent had I gone with some of my more...misguided friends last night to see this movie was instead spent on Comic Books. I think this worked out better for all involved :P

Battle Catman:

Not to mention Nimoy voiced Galvatron in the 80's cartoon Transformers movie, so playing a robot who has no qualms about blasting those who oppose him isn't completely new to him.

Yes but Galvatron was a complete Dick-Piston from the start, where as Sentinal Prime is supposed to be the Lawful Good Autobot Leader so him turning around and trying to just give up is really messed up and makes no real sense(also wasn't the fallen's ship on the moon as well? i mean it had to of been some where close to earth for meg's to even get to it with out a ship of his own)

Arkvoodle:

RJ Dalton:

Arkvoodle:
Michael Bay's interpretation of things is by no means the worst thing to ever happen to Transformers.

Dare I ask what was?

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Kiss_Play

I know this is not the actual reason why, but I can't help but remark on the irony that the only thing you can think of that's worse than the Live-Action Transformers movies was a comic that actually ties the continuity of the LA Transformers to the original animated cannon.

Abandon4093:
Wait, he didn't like it?

I'm surprised.

Honestly. I saw it last night and enjoyed it.

Can we drop the pretence that we go to these movies for any semblance of plot? We go to them to 3 hours of robots and explosions. I was happy paying 8 for night of splosions.

That's the problem, though. You do not get "a night of explosions" when you see this movie- you get ninety minutes of uninspired yet schizophrenic plot, followed by a few explosions, most of which take place in the background while the unlikable characters continue with the uninspired yet schizophrenic plot.

In the words of Roger Ebert, "It's not what a movie is, it's how it's about it." This is a bad "explosion" movie.

Bob, why you do this to yourself? And I'm worried about you. You're getting your hopes up for Captain America? I'd like it to be good too, but so far it looks like it's too serious to be vintage comic throwback fun and too goofy to be a serious war movie what with all the shield-slinging and red skull faces.

Aiddon:
well, let's see if this thread breaks the record set by the Expendables.

Also, did you cry a bit when Ehren Kruger (yeah, the guy who brought us Scream 3 and Skids and Mudflap) raped one of the most iconic Star Trek lines EVER? The only thing worse than that is Bay constantly exploiting imagery of the WTC incident and even the fucking Challenger explosion. Fuck you, Bay, I hope you get raped by hobos.

This entire YEAR has been terrible for movies. Like Travers over at Rollingstone said, if we had the Oscars right now it would be a disaster. It's like a reverse version of 1982; there's a lot of product being shown at theaters, but it's ALL CRAP (except for X-Men: First Class)

"This man makes movies I don't like, so i hope that because of this he is violently sexually assaulted. That's totally proportionate retribution for making bad films right? mean he used a famous Star Trek line. That's totally worthy of him being the victim of one of the most heinous crimes in existence"

Well, at least you didn't torque off at the movie-going public (you know, the audience for your reviews) quite as overtly this year, MovieBob. Besides, it's hilarity incarnate to watch/read all the rage about these travesties-of-film year after year.

The biggest problem I have with these movies are still the human characters.
Hell, even ignoring the MOUNTAIN of festering not-funny comic relief characters we still have to contend with Shia of The Beef's appalling acting.
Seriously, I don't know if this is Bay's direction or if he just sucks that hard, but the kid CANNOT FUCKING ACT. It's rather difficult to tell based on Bay's previous movies: On one hand, Bay actually got some very good material out of Bruce Willis, Will Smith, and Martin Lawrence.
On the other hand...John Turturro. Though I'd like to think that is was Hasbro that did more damage to Turturro

In any case, The Beef has a whopping TWO emotional states in these movies: Bland expository protest, and whining like a scared little bitch. Fuck, those were his only two states in Indiana Jones 4, too! Put simply, there is not a single fucking moment in these movies where Shia LaBeouf isn't an annoying cunt.
Oh...wait, there is one in Transformers 2

...but then they go ahead and ruin it immediately thereafter with Deus Ex Machina.

nintendo414:
Did nimoy do something?

Yes, he associated Star Trek 2 with this juvenile shitfest blockbuster trilogy.
More specifically, Nimoy associates probably the most pivotal, classic line of The Wrath of Khan with Michael Bay's abomination.
I see it as nothing more than Bay trolling the fans of the 80s since Nimoy's character does nothing else of note in the movie besides that.

I thought the film was ALOT better than the other 2, although i did hate it when

And just so people know, Hasbro has confirmed more movies are in the works...but there is good news...Shia Lebeof is not returning and Michael Bay might not be.

If there is a 4th i wonder who will be in it in terms of Transformers.

He didn't end the video with his "See you next time!" He's done that one other time.

So I guess this is slightly better than the other Transformer movies in the same way Revenge of the Sith was better then the other Star Wars prequels.

ZeroMachine:

He was actually attacking the audiance that defends the movie by labeling detracted as snobs. But whatever.

Grumpy Gus.

I really want to know what Bob thinks about Shia LaBeouf's future in the industry. From what I've experienced in the growth of him as an actor (from Even Stevens to now), it feels like he really needs to find a role that kicks him out of his current sweep of...bland roles. He's kind of where Michael Cera was before Youth in Revolt/Scott Pilgrim shook him out of it. Except unlike Cera, he really doesn't have the face to pull off romance properly.

I wouldn't mind seeing him going back to comedy, but if he wants to continue down the path he seems to be making with action or drama or whatever, he really needs to learn a sense of subtlety or charm. I just never get a sense of those from him. I feel like he could be doing a lot better than he is...maybe not fiscally, but quality.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here