Zero Punctuation: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

He's a tobacconist, isn't it obvious? Well I do grant you it looks a little bit more like a game critic's channel than a tobacconists...

The biggest problem isn't the boss fights, it is the lack of connection to the bosses. You had a real connection to all the bosses in Deus Ex, in Human Resources they are just some big bad guy. I like Yahtzee's suggestions for the alternative approaches to the boss fights too, I hope we see them in the inevitable follow up. Also I consider this game to be reboot, because Jensen is so vastly superior to Hermann and Navarre it doesn't fit in the continuity.

I would've agreed with the whole "of course technological add-ons are better" part had I not watched that one trailer/tv spot for Human Revolution where the augmentations were being rejected by the body and the only cure was medicine from the company that sold you the metal parts and...

oh where was I? Um...dude, I wanna play this game sooo bad :[

Yet he didn't mention the severe case of silly lips every person in the game had, serious the lip synching is almost as bad as Alan Wake.

I'm not entirely against augmentation, but there are a lot of reasons that people become unhappy with the way they were born, and some of those reasons are really stupid.

Heh, must say I was looking forward to this review. Glad he did it, absolutely agree with him on most, if not all points.

I cannot forgive Ion Storm for what they did to JC in Invisible War.

*spoilers*

In Deus Ex I made a point of staying loyal to Tracer Tong and Paul. I went for the Dark Age scenario. Obviously that was undone by having JC merged with Helios come Invisible War. But fair enough; I had the imagination to presume Helios re-routed its systems before the A-51 'incident' and somehow convinced JC to merge. This also meant JC had miraculously escaped to the surface.

So, as Alex D(enton), in order to fulfil my vision of the original and see it come to fruition I would have to join Al Qaeda.....I mean the Templars. There was no way I was going to do that, so I allied myself with Chad, traitorous bastard, belieiving this to be the best way.

Come the final act in Invisible War. Whatever you think of that game, if you truly loved Deus Ex you can't have helped but have been moved to be back on Liberty Island. Going through the decrepit ruins of UNATCO was particularly haunting for me. I felt like a ghost. I heard echoes in my own mind from the original; conversations, friendships forged and lost, the harrowing escape, watching Gunther explode ('I asked for lemon lime....it gave me orange'), and so forth.

Then wiping out the Templars was extremely satisfying.

But I was ultimately left with the most emotional experience I've had in gaming. I had to kill my 'big brother'. The bionic super being I'd created in the original, whose actions were pissed on by Ion Storm. The final face-off with him and Paul made me feel sick, but there was no way I was going to allow their vision for humanity come to pass. So, with this feckless half-wit Alex, who I had no affection for, I went on to kill JC, Paul and the greys....who were all goodness itself (whose goal I just couldn't subscribe to), to get the Illuminati ending.

Sure, if they made a sequel to IW it would likely use that ending (JC's doesn't seem doable), but it left my fabulous experience with the initial Deus Ex utterly degraded.

I will get HR but only to play it out. Regardless of how that one ends, ultimately it doesn't change the fact I killed JC. JC, the man who went against the ethos I'd given him (or maybe vice-versa). Kind of reminded me of the journey you went through with Ripley in Aliens, only for them to kill off her crew at the start of the third.

More enthusiastic than Yosharian, but have to say I agree with Yahtzee, but I've almost finished with it and its not like some games where I've been left agreeing after 1 hours gameplay (worst: GTA IV, never got past the girl friend mission). And then left, disgruntled, pessimistic and emotional. I must've spent more time angry at the MW series then playing it.

That said, I do love invisible bad guys, just wish there was more to them (like tracking them over an area, or level).

Had more issues with the first Deus Ex review tbh. Played it not long ago, and graphics aren't that big an issue (but I remember the first C&C, SimCity etc). Anyone who loves SS2 can't knock the Deus Ex/Thief graphics, controls, or physics.

Man, Yahtzee's even dumber than I thought. Can't believe he would actually go for them bionic augmentations.

Loved this episode. For these reasons:

First - The game is too short and you can simply master everything if you wanted to.
Second - Hacking turrets etc to help in a boss fight? Genius, I was just too busy complaining about how crummy they were, not how to make it better. Looks like ill have to leave Yahtzee to do all my thinking for me.
Third - The ending was totally disappointing and the DLC comment - Gold.

And agreeing with most reviewers, I quite enjoyed the game despite its flaws :)

For those complaining about the bullet sponge bosses, there's easy ways to beat all of them, without shooting them at all.

Thank you Ben - I won't be wasting my money on Deus Ex.

Another game with amazing promise with a titanic franchise behind and limitless potential to expand on that, and they make it into a 'guaranteed to sell' piece of generic shit.

Outstanding.

had a feeling that this will not be as awesome as pretty much every one claims. already the first game dint knock me over so i highly doubt this one will either. maybe i might get it when its cheaper but for now, i give it a miss.

Aww that sounds like they dropped the ball on what they were suppose to be good at.

Im a little disappointed

Ryan Grilliot:
I am surprised he made no note of the health regeneration. The last boss fight can be ended with the laser rifle if you can focus all the firepower on her for the entire clip.

One rocket does the trick, and you get the launcher pretty much right at the beginning of the game. In fact one rocket will pretty much win any boss fight for you, the homing missile upgrade makes the fight Easy Mode.

Deus Ex (the original) could be beaten without ever fighting the main boss. Gunther can be beaten without a single shot fired, you discover the code for his killswitch through exploration.

I don't think Deus Ex games are about the boss fights, sure they are nice if done well, but otherwise Yahtzee is right, they are just a standard enemy with a bigger health bar.

Well, they did have a prequel book that fleshes out (no pun intended) the Tyrants, the cyborg dickheads that serve as the bosses.

Sansha:
Thank you Ben - I won't be wasting my money on Deus Ex.

Another game with amazing promise with a titanic franchise behind and limitless potential to expand on that, and they make it into a 'guaranteed to sell' piece of generic shit.

Outstanding.

*faceplam*

He. Did. Not. Say. It. Was. A. Bad. Game.
He actually liked it, if you paid attention. He just magnified all of the flaws like he ALWAYS does.
If your not going to buy it because a game like this isn't your type, thats fine. HOWEVER, if it sounded interesting then buy it, its a great game and you won't find an experience like it on the modern market. Sorry if I seem like a dick, but it is REALLY annoying to see people decide its a bad game because of a yatzhee review. Its his job to critique games and find flaws in them, so you really shouldn't be using his reviews to decide if your going to buy a game or not. Watch the escapist's review on the game if you want to make a decision.

OT: Great review, had me on the floor through most of it xD

His recap of the ending makes it sound like Fallout 3.

DX:HR is much shorter than the original Deus Ex?
Christ, I was planning on playing the original Deus Ex. DX:HR took me about 30 hours to complete, and that's with me barely dying.

You know the way endings worked in Human Revolution is pretty much the same as in Deus Ex, right Yahtzee? Ok, good. Just checking.

Dr_Steve_Brule:
DX:HR is much shorter than the original Deus Ex?
Christ, I was planning on playing the original Deus Ex. DX:HR took me about 30 hours to complete, and that's with me barely dying.

30 hours is long? Oh right, by today's standards, I guess.

SL33TBL1ND:

Well, a game kind of wears out after all that time. There's only so much you can do with the mechanics to make them interesting.
There aren't many games over the 35-40 hours that I liked until the very end. I don't like short singleplayer either though- Unless there's literally no way for you to develop the gameplay further, 7 hours of singleplayer is pathetic.
How long is the original Deus Ex exactly? From what I read about online it's about the Same as DX:HR.

Dr_Steve_Brule:

SL33TBL1ND:

Well, a game kind of wears out after all that time. There's only so much you can do with the mechanics to make them interesting.

Really? I usually sink like 60 or more in a good game.

There aren't many games over the 35-40 hours that I liked until the very end. I don't like short singleplayer either though- Unless there's literally no way for you to develop the gameplay further, 7 hours of singleplayer is pathetic.

7 hours is indeed pathetic.

How long is the original Deus Ex exactly? From what I read about online it's about the Same as DX:HR.

Depends how much of a dick you are and how much you explore.

Nicolairigel:
*faceplam*

He. Did. Not. Say. It. Was. A. Bad. Game.
He actually liked it, if you paid attention. He just magnified all of the flaws like he ALWAYS does.
If your not going to buy it because a game like this is your type, thats fine. HOWEVER, if it sounded interesting then buy it, its a great game and you won't find an experience like it on the modern market. Sorry if I seem like a dick, but it is REALLY annoying to see people decide its a bad game because of a yatzhee review. Its his job to critique games and find flaws in them, so you really shouldn't be using his reviews to decide if your going to buy a game or not. Watch the escapist's review on the game if you want to make a decision.

OT: Great review, had me on the floor through most of it xD

I hear you, every time someone says he/she/it won't buy a game for a ZP episode, I feel sorry for the poor soul that cries for freedom of choice inside them. I mean, he's usually right about most things he says, but whatever he says, if someone likes a game, what he says is irrelevant. You don't need ZP to know Kane & Lynch 2 sucks, or SR2 is mindless fun; I understand people who agreed on what he thinks, but submitting your choice to what you think he says is... well, something I might get warned for if I say so, so let's leave it like that.
Hell, I laughed at the Saboteur review, and even when I agreed with all the criticism, I still love that game. Back to Kane & Lynch 2, I didn't liked the 2nd, but I sort of liked the first, enough to go through the full game, which is more than I can say for its sequel.
I also enjoyed Metroid Other M, flaws and everything, it was an ok game for me, not the best of the saga, but not all that bad either, and yet, I enjoyed ZP's episodes of Other M and Top and Bottom 5.

Anyways, I didn't mean to bash everywhere with my rant, my bad...

SL33TBL1ND:

Dr_Steve_Brule:

SL33TBL1ND:

It better be longer than 7 hours....(plese no spoilers) though I was surprised at how fast people were finishing it

Vault101:

SL33TBL1ND:

Dr_Steve_Brule:

It better be longer than 7 hours....(plese no spoilers) though I was surprised at how fast people were finishing it

From what i've read on forums so far, people took about 27-35 hours to complete DX:HR on the first playthrough.

Dr_Steve_Brule:

Vault101:

SL33TBL1ND:

From what i've read on forums so far, people took about 27-35 hours to complete DX:HR on the first playthrough.

ah well thats acceptible then

I know its not a spoiler per se but its kinda off putting when somone (yahtzee alot of the time) says "the endings shit"

The game starts off great, a worthy successor to Deus Ex but gradually it starts falling apart. It's still miles ahead of most games out there, and maybe except Portal 2 it's without a doubt the best game out this year, but it's very clear that the budget was running out long before they intended it to. Frankly the ending was just crap and up untill the very last button phase I was " I'm not worried, the game can't end here, there are still so many loose end to tie up, I'm sure there's plenty left to...oh... It's over. Crap" Even the final choices for the ending seemed McWeaksauce compared to the original game.

As for the bossfights. I. FUCKING. HATED. THE. BOSSFIGHTS. I started playing on the hardest difficulty, and I never found the game particularly challenging, but the fucking boss fights are just fucked up. Period. Exercises in quick-loading frustration. Oh, and if you're going to make the pistol "Ignore armor and dermal plating", have it FUCKING IGNORE ARMOR AND DERMAL PLATING. What are the bosses made of, adamantium??

Dr_Steve_Brule:

About right for most players, from what I've seen and from friends I've spoken with on Steam. I personally took about 42 hours - but, I spent a lot of time exploring all the nooks and crannies of the maps, studying patrols to determine best course of action to take, listening to NPC conversations and speaking with NPCs, and all that other good nonsense. I think it'll depend more on someone's play style, and the difficulty they choose.

But, to be fair, towards the end of the game, it does start feeling like a cake-walk due to your augs and weapon upgrades. NPC enemies don't really become too much more difficult, should you decide to go with an assault route; and if stealth is your thing, the augs available make it way too easy for those experienced in stealth tactics (i.e. die-hard fans of Thief, Splinter Cell, etc.).

I can't complain, though - HR is one of the first AAA titles I've actually been really happy with. Sure, it has it's flaws (which, it seems the PC community is being the nit-pickest about); but the attention to detail the devs put in is astounding. Besides, it's not everyday we're gifted with a game that lasts longer than 15 hours . . . let alone 30; and I'm sure people will miss a lot the first time through, offering some decent replayability. I started a second go, and even after my 40+hr experience, I'm running into things I missed the first time through.

I never have, and probably never will.

jmarquiso:

Random berk:
So, between the last two reviews, the supposed 'best pc game ever' really doesn't sound very appealing to me.'

That said, Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 1 and 2 didn't really get sparkling reviews from Yahtzee either, so maybe I'm jumping to conclusions.

The point of Zero Punctuation is to create outlandishly negative reviews, but still seat some "what's done right" and "what could be done better" to be constructive about it. So never base your opinion on ONLY Yahtzee.

I never have. As I said, he gave RDR and Mass Effect fairly mediocre reviews, and those are two of my favourite games post- Shadow of the Colossus.I may try out the original Deus Ex at some point, just to give it a fair trial. I do worry about it a bit though, since the last old game that I tried which was supposedly one of the best games ever was Half Life 2, and I was not impressed.

Ben, did you even play the bloody game? Your reviews of late have been tripe, you just seem to be spouting PC elitist things to keep your fanbase happy, 'ooh this game's consolised these things that are fun for the majority of people are tumours!!!'

sravankb:
Man, Yahtzee's even dumber than I thought. Can't believe he would actually go for them bionic augmentations.

He was more implying - "Don't disagree with the people with guns attatched to their arms"

rapidoud:
Ben, did you even play the bloody game? Your reviews of late have been tripe, you just seem to be spouting PC elitist things to keep your fanbase happy, 'ooh this game's consolised these things that are fun for the majority of people are tumours!!!'

He admitted recently that he prefers not to game on PC due to the low power of his laptop. So there.

Random berk:
I never have, and probably never will.

jmarquiso:

Random berk:
So, between the last two reviews, the supposed 'best pc game ever' really doesn't sound very appealing to me.'

That said, Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 1 and 2 didn't really get sparkling reviews from Yahtzee either, so maybe I'm jumping to conclusions.

The point of Zero Punctuation is to create outlandishly negative reviews, but still seat some "what's done right" and "what could be done better" to be constructive about it. So never base your opinion on ONLY Yahtzee.

I never have. As I said, he gave RDR and Mass Effect fairly mediocre reviews, and those are two of my favourite games post- Shadow of the Colossus.I may try out the original Deus Ex at some point, just to give it a fair trial. I do worry about it a bit though, since the last old game that I tried which was supposedly one of the best games ever was Half Life 2, and I was not impressed.

The trick with old games is to pay attention to the gameplay. They're usually more difficult as gaming has become more streamlined (hit x to do everything) as time went on. There's a reason the hardest difficulty is "Give me Deus Ex". When I was a kid I would have spent more time with Deus Ex, but I was in college in 1999-2000 when it came out. I enjoyed it immensely, but it was incredibly difficult as I was also overwhelmed with choice in how you handle a level. I much preferred "Thief", as the objectives were clearer.

If you pay attention to Yahtzee's criticism of both RDR and Mass Effect, it was a valid gameplay point. You give the player a lot of creative license in how they play, but in ways that allow them to play inconsistently with the railroaded story. I.e., John Marsden is a badass, but he's busy picking flowers. Or Mass Effect where Shepard will get angry at looters, and then proceeds to loot the same houses. He finds character consistency important, especially player character consistency.

That said, Mass Effect 2 was my favorite game last year. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is tied for my favorite this year, but lets wait until I get to the end. Yahtzee loved games like Infamous and Just Cause 2 because they fit the "Open World" design better, and character was consistent with gameplay. Motivation for Rico Rodriguez in Just Cause 2 is to cause chaos to destablize the region while getting in good as a mercenary for all factions in the game (Fistful of Dollars/Yojimbo style).

In the case of DX:HR, Yahtzee's criticisms are valid, but it's still a really good game. I thought he'd focus on cutscenes and knee-high cover, as he always does, but he gave those a pass. Instead he focused on the boss battles, which is definitely a concern. However, in listening to other reviewers discuss the game, it's interesting that they had varied approaches to the boss battles, but still felt railroaded into locked doors. His other valid criticism is that Boss Battles are final exams - culminations of what you've learned so far. So if you spend all your time sneaking undetected, then by rights you should be able to hide from the boss until you could pull off whatever you need to pull off to deal with them (it should be noted that every boss apparently has an environment kill, which I didn't find myself).

So, while I agree with his review, I definitely like this game a lot, even as a fan of the original.

If you'd try out the original Deus Ex, do. Pick it up on a Gamersgate or Steam sale. It'll be cheap, and worth the attempt to at least TRY it.

Yo Yahtzee, I have two fillings in my teeth. Does that make me a cyborg too? (Please say yes!) ^_^

Also, the Crane Game featuring a dead Imp with a robot arm.... Who wouldn't want to play that?

Awesome review! I couldn't agree more, the Endotron was a huge dissapointment after such a great story.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here