No Right Answer: Best Anime Series Ever

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I always loved Space Cruiser Yamato.

This makes me feel unclean, but I actually agree with this verdict.

I may be a gigantic Pokémon fanboy, but Digimon had a tighter plot with more developed characters and a greater conflict. I mean, Digimon actually got away with killing people. Characters in this show actually died instead of "fainting" of "getting sent to the shadow realm" or what the hell ever. There were actual stakes, here. Besides which fact, Digimon has had relatively consistent quality over the years, without recycling too many plots or eroding the character's personalities down to nothing, whereas Pokémon, well... did that.

In Pokémon's defense, I'm always going to remember Misty as the girl who introduced me to the concept of being "physically attractive".

That dude is waaaay too into Digimon :D

:quick edit: Do the people saying "IT'S COWBOY BEBOP!!" actually mean it? You know that No Right Answer always just picks two random things in the category that would provide some interesting arguments, right?

Their best western film has Back to the future facing off versus Fievel... jus' sayin'... Maybe I don't get the joke about screaming "Cowboy Bebop" when people are trying to make a joke...

/shrug

Kumagawa Misogi:
Anime is not a genre of animation, anime is animation from Japan. What your saying is the equivalent of saying that every live action american TV show is a genre.

I don't think you understand the difference between medium and genre.

Medium is an art form that can be used as a form of expresion. Animation should be classified as its own medium because it requires its own set of skills and has its own set of tools separate from film, illustration, and photography, and has proven to be a valid form of expression through time and across the globe.

In the medium of animation, there are sub categories that are used to help classify animation. These classifications can be based on style, technique, substance, format, structure, or in the case of Anime country of origin.

You can in no way classify Anime as its own separate art form from animation. The following clips make use of the same animation techniques pioneered by the makers of Looney Tunes (though their anatomy is fundamentally different)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqPTe3Cr3RA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR6KjNmN2BA

Anime is not a form of expression all of its own, it is a way to categorize certain works within the art form of animation, thus is labeled a genre.

If the Academy Awards can use country of origin as a way to place films into genres, then it should be good enough for the Escapist forums.

While I enjoy Cowboy Bebop, GiTS, and NeoGeoEva; Judging up to the "Story of the original 8 Digi-destined" and "Johto League" I liked Digimon:
-Digimon was made by Toei Animation, the same studio as Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon; and brought to America by Saban Entertainment: the same people who brought us Power Rangers shows.
-Pokemon was made by Nintendo, and brought over by 4Kids
- Granted both were made to sell Merchandise and video games. Digimon was made to sell those Tamagochi's.
- Digimon all the monsters had multiple paths of evolution, Pokemon only has the Eevees.

-Pokemon now has 649 species, of identical/shiny monsters. Digimon has had thousands, each with their only personalities, and adaptations to the areas they live (i.e. 3 different Agumon tribes based on Data,Virus,Vaccine).

- The entire Pokemon series is pretty much filler, aside from Rival/GYM/League battles. They all start with 'Our Heroes' traveling through some made up areas, we'll never see in the video games, with events that make people wish for the pokemon MMO.

-The Geography of the Digital World was set, and there's an explanation for the monsters: they're in an inter-dimensional computer (they're all Porygons). The heroes start out as new and lost as the viewers, and we learn as they go along.

-When the Digimon talk, we don't have to rely on expository dialogue from Tai/others (as Ash always 'communicates' with Pikachu). It's not like walking into a room where everyone speaks a foreign language, and you have to rely on your friend to translate .

-Some pokemon are able to talk, but they're usually jerks about it: Meowth, Ghastly, Mewtwo, others from newer seasons.

-Who cares about banned episodes, that's seems like a region specific event. Although I'm disappointed the Safari Zone episode was cut, because Dratini is my favorite. The 3 or 4 episodes weren't anything major to the plots of later one's; except for Ash's herd of Tauros.

-Pokemon already has it's massive continuity lapses: Ash has been 10 years old for about 12 years. Pikachu should be Lv100 and ripping through all of the Gym leaders' Pokemon.
-Between seasons 1 and 2: the Digimon had adventures without the trainers leading up to the invasion of the Dark Masters; Seasons 2 and 3, the heroes aged and moved on to middle/high school. The movie battle with Omnimon versus Diaboromon explained the millions of new Digi-destined.

-Survival aspect: WTF are the food/meatballs made of in the Pokemon series? The Digi-destined lived in the woods for months and ate mushrooms and caught fish; the creators even integrated real animals such as Cats and Dogs when they returned to Japan.

-I'm probably missing a bunch of stuff: feel free to add.

Going to have to agree anime wise, Digimon >>> Pokemon.
Video game/ TTCG wise tho, pokemon > Digimon hands down.

I re-watched the Pokemon 1-2 seasons and its is good, and its great for Pokemon. Digimon was also good,but I couldn't watch it again. Neither are very are the best.

FLCL you dimwitted primates!

There's a whole lot of people in this thread that seem to have some minor typos spelling out Martian Successor Nadesico. You guys should have that looked at.

"Pokemon started the trend of young male chrs being played by women with raspy voices."
No it didn't.Go watch Kimba,Prince Planet and Astro boy et al from the 1960s,where the trend ws already in force.Yeah,I'm old.

Hitman Dread:

Kumagawa Misogi:
Anime is not a genre of animation, anime is animation from Japan. What your saying is the equivalent of saying that every live action american TV show is a genre.

Medium is an art form that can be used as a form of expresion. Animation should be classified as its own medium because it requires its own set of skills and has its own set of tools separate from film, illustration, and photography, and has proven to be a valid form of expression through time and across the globe.

In the medium of animation, there are sub categories that are used to help classify animation. These classifications can be based on style, technique, substance, format, structure, or in the case of Anime country of origin.

You can in no way classify Anime as its own separate art form from animation. The following clips make use of the same animation techniques pioneered by the makers of Looney Tunes (though their anatomy is fundamentally different)

Anime is not a form of expression all of its own, it is a way to categorize certain works within the art form of animation, thus is labeled a genre.

If the Academy Awards can use country of origin as a way to place films into genres, then it should be good enough for the Escapist forums.

In a sense, you're both right. On the one hand, "Anime" is not a single genre any more than "Movies" is. On the other hand, the medium is definitely "Animation" (devil's advocate though: 'Anime' quite literally is just a truncated way of saying 'Animation' in the first place, and its usage in Japan reflects that (ALL animation is called "Anime" there)). At best, the common use of the term could be seen to be roughly analagous to saying "It's a film by Peter Jackson", as it is more indicative of the source than the content.

Honestly, I'd say that the term you're both looking for here is "Type", but even that might be too specific. I think a certain article by Lindsay Grace rather neatly explains the difference (granted though, the subject matter is video games rather than animation). The thing to realize is that any given anime fits into genres itself. What genre(s) does Hiragashi no Naku Koro Ni fit? Horror and Mystery. Inuyasha? Fantasy. Macross? Science Fiction. Lucky Star? Slice of Life, Comedy.

These terms work because they give us ways to classify the content. By identifying something as Drama we have a notion of what we can expect the story to touch. Classifying something as anime though...you really have no idea what you're getting. You could get Astro Boy, One Piece, Perfect Blue, Azumanga Daioh, Gundam Wing, Akira, Ronin Warriors, Monster, Chobits...any animation that ever came out of Japan, ranging from pieces celebrating innocence to those reveling in debauchery, from works celebrating the triumph of the human spirit (Drills piercing the heavens and all) to tragic reminders that not every story has a happy ending (Grave of the Fireflies ring any bells?). "Anime" is far too varied a concept to fit into a single genre.

Firefilm:
Best Anime Series Ever

A lot of you have mentioned that anime subjects don't get a fair chance due to Dan's hatred for the genre. Fair enough, so we went out and found some random guy to argue, allowing Kyle to judge this one. Best Anime Series Force Alpha Robot Squad Gooooooo!

Watch Video

Please learn what the word "genre" means.
Honestly, that kind of mistake is just embarrassingly unprofessional.

I disagree with some people here: Cowboy Bebopp lacks too much in Plot to be nş1 And characters aren't "that" good.

As for Digimon vs Pokemon, the outcome is fair, everyone who have watched both knows that. (at least the firsts seasons). I still think this show is made in an unfunny way and with bad arguments. But that's my problem I guess. Sometimes I don't get if this argumentation is supposed to be serious (in that case it super fails), or comedic. (in that case it fails), or a mix (in that case fails too).

This was an awesome episode.

Ten seconds, 'What is best, Pokémon or Digimon?'

Two minutes, 'CHOICE DOES NOT EXIST'

Three minutes, 'Let's see how the Bible defines Heaven.'

Five minutes, 'DIGIMON HAS CATFIGHTS.'

I cried.

Anoni Mus:
I disagree with some people here: Cowboy Bebopp lacks too much in Plot to be nş1 And characters aren't "that" good.

I'm with this. Very recently, about a week an a half ago, I rewatched two anime series from start to finish (START TO FINISH) because growing up with anime Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star they were pretty much the shit back then and I wanted to relive the experience having forgotten pretty much everything about the story.

Well, I have no idea why I loved them when I was younger, they both suck. However, if there were a contest I would have to give it to Cowboy Bebop because while they both have many faults Cowboy Bebop has the least amount of things wrong with it.

On a brighter note I also rewatched Trigun just last month and am happy nothing changed there. It was great then and still is a fantastic anime.

I've seen two of these shows now... And I hate myself for it. Their arguments are shallow and terrible, it's not entertaining to watch.

As to the topic, Digimon actually had story that contained progression and character development, I'll take it over Pokemon any day. The Pokemon series stopped being good about 8ish episodes in.

The fact that this argument merited an episode has left me in...

Well with the limited options I will say Digimon since pokemon has so many stupid errors like how pikachu somehow resets to level five at every new area and how ash somehow hasnt aged and with his most recent design actually looks younger.

That aside the best anime is Cowboy Bebop.

I'd just like to point out that concerning voice actors The Simpson's already did it. Bart Simpson has always been voiced by a woman.

Soviet Heavy:
DBZ beats both.

Gotta agree here. When it comes to anime dubbed for kids, doesn't get much better than DBZ. I grew up on that stuff hoping that one day, just one day I'd go super saiyan.

Pokemon vs Digimon? Really? /facepalm

Cowboy Bebop would like to have a word with you guys.

Alright, this'll be a doosey.

*cracks knuckles*

Ow, why did I do that?

In any case.

First image in my mind about people wanting anime episodes was the people at their computers turning into the muppet Animal and yelling "ANIME ANIME" while smashing the keyboard. Someone make that video, nows.

That bit of random imagination popping from my head aside, agree about digimon being better, but lets break it down. I find it interesting that pokemon is considered to be very restricted by the game, because I found the manga (I know there are many) Pokemon Adventures (elsewise known as Pocket Monsters: Special) (also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokemon_Adventures) followed the game formula pretty closely and even tried to justify game mechanics and turned out pretty damn awesome, especially compared to the show. Helps that the protagonist is Red, not ash. And with each new game world there are new protagonists that may or may not eventually go on an adventure with the previous protagonists. That's a beef I have with Pokemon, too much Ash. Don't look too far into that last line, but a show needs that bit of variety. Yeah he might get a spunky sidekick unique to that gameworld, even the occasional pikachu replacement. Most shows would have a time shift ŕ la Shippuden. Now I mean, conceptually, pokemon is pretty sweet. Find a pokemon, kick ash (see what I did thar), go on an adventure, beat people up for half their money, and still actually live in society, good times. Just some show elements that were kinda meh. Also plotholes abound for why some of the amazing technology they have only work on pokemon.

Digimon, gotta say, I liked most of the characters, the creatures got big and powerful and had epic fights. There were successions of protagonists, the occasional maturing of protagonists. Rip snorting adventures to be had all round. And there was a digimon.....that was a pile of pink poo, hard to beat that. The card game season was kinda dumb though. Conceptually, dependent on which season you look at, its kinda cool to just pop into a virtual world, ride around on a big dragon, o nutters I appear to have not done my homework, you got that giant demon...mon, right dracomon? Yeah you got him, peace. And virtual world allows it to erase any plotholes or logic failues, ever, totally.

Final word, both shows kinda fun at times. Dragonball (note lack of Z) was better for your long series pick. Serious pick though, Code Geass. Somewhat large robot action, strategical battles, twists and turns, hot chicks, big guns, Bam. Or Outlaw Star, cyborg magic ninja zombies....in space. Nuff said, nuff said.

Digimon series 3.

All I need to say. The whole deal was directed by the same guy who did Serial Experiments Lain and worked on parts of Ghost in a Shell as well as Love Hina.

Man is one of the best and if you look at the writing for series 3 it really shows with how the characters develop properly and have rather deep running issues.

Sadly both franchises are massively merchandised to their detriment so neither is the pinnacle of the media.

purifico:
Pokemon vs Digimon? Really? /facepalm

Cowboy Bebop would like to have a word with you guys.

Can Berserk come too? I think it would like to also get it's opinion in...plus the fact nobody even mentioned it yet means i had to rectify that almost immediately seeing as Bebop was already mentioned.

ritchards:
Sailor Moon was getting edit-slashed far earlier than any -mon show...

Sailor Moon edit-slashed? I beg your pardon, may I point out exhibit A, namely Macross/Robotech. THAT was edit-slashing.

Why with all those great animés did you pick those ? It's like saying that between Die Hard and Lethal weapon the best is Transformer !

And for the record, my vote goes on Space Adventure Cobra.

First off Pokemon jumped the shark around the middle of the Jhoto league arc, and didnt really pick up much steam after that. It got ridiculous after that, what with them not focusing on battles(which was the main draw for many including myself) and more on fancy show off competitions.

Second, the first 3 seasons of Digimon where a hell of alot better than all of Pokemon combined. The third season was especially epic, setting it in the "real" world kinda grounded it in a realistic sense that made me relate to the characters more. 4th season was kinda ho hum, it tried to be like the first season but it didnt have the same feel and it lacked the bite the first season had. I havent watched the newer Digimon: Digital Data Squad at first because I didnt want to be dissapointed, now its more I really dont care for a new story anymore. What they should have done is after the third season they should have gone back to the setting of the first two seasons and have the sons and daughters of the original Digi Destined be the stars. Now that would be cool.

Third.....You guys must be playing too much with those Drinking Game guys or drinking expired Jones soda because your mental capacity, and thought processes are obviously impaired. I began to suspect something when for worst father you put the child abusing Fire Lord against Goku, the most loving caring dad anyone could ever hope for. But this? What Inuyasha isnt even considered? Bleach? Mobile Suit Gundam(original)? Dragon Ball Z? If I had to choose the best of all time, not thinking about my personal favorite, I can think of no other quintessential anime than Cowboy Bebop. The story, setting, characters, and even music are so expertly crafted together that even almost 12 years after it was made it still sets the bar for anime. Many fans are the same ones that have followed it since it was originally aired, now to hold a fanbase after 12 years with no new episodes that says alot.

A close, very close, second is Neon Genesis Evangelion(original). Personally I didnt like the way it ended, some closure would have been nice, but I did like the build up and then towards th middle it really got surreal which was sweet. That series was again expertly crafted(except the end) and it felt almost real, like it could happen in our world. It played with your emotions and made you generally care what happened to the characters. Only reason its not perfect is the ending, which I could write in a couple hours. I know its supposed to be dark and all that but, you cant tell me theirs no way to rewrite the last oh I dont know 5 episodes so that: Those that deserve it get punished justly(Gendo, the Selee council), the angels are defeated world is saved, most of the main cast survives(including one which was killed towards the end), and in general a happy ending for all.

Anyway im at the point now that I dont think yall(mean the Escapist in general because you must have an editor) even do research or even put thought into this anymore. That this segment itself is one big pimp-hand slap in the face to not just anime fans or gamers, but geek culture and all of us.

Escapist if you really care, I mean truly care about your audience, show some respect.

Battle Angel Alita
Ghost in the Shell
and.. dun dun dun Oh my Goddess!!!

I reckon Digimon was a better anime, but Pokemon was a better game. I won't go as far as saying Digimon is the best anime. There are way better animes out there, like anything made by Kyoto Animation and Key.

Nope. Just no. Poor choice of anime and even then Dan should have won.
Even though they both enrage me. Why wont Team Rocket just die?! They fell out a blimp that was above cloud level! They should have been pulverised! And why are they forced into every episode? And why doesn't the gang just get them arrested or take them out into the woods and murder them? They could atleast give them a truly stinging reaction when they show up (as they do, pretty much every freaking day) instead of the usual shock or anger. Anything just to be rid of god damn Team Rocket!

*cough* sorry about that...

And what about Kenshiro? I mean...
http://youtu.be/-j4PDRJPv8g

What!?
drivel vs more drivel?

Come on, neither of these I would even choose to recognize as anime, let alone good anime.

I am utterly disgusted by this...

ugh, you should be ashamed

Hitman Dread:

Kumagawa Misogi:

I think both terms are incorrect for Anime, it's neither a genre, nor a medium.

It's obviously not a genre, because a genre would have it's own conventions, formats, styles, recurring themes. For example the Superhero genre involves superpowers, an FPS game is always made in a first-person view, a romance novel has people falling in love, a sci-fi always plays with scientific plausibility, etc.

In anime, if you would try to name anything like that; a stereotypical "anime-ish" element, then you would actually have to be referring to an element of one of anime's own genres, such as harem comedies, magical girl series, or shonen fighting series, that is probably completely lacking from all the other anime genres.

And it's also not a medium for what you said, it isn't a fundamentally different method of creation.

Probably we should use whichever term is more logical at the moment, for example when analyzing animation, western and Japanese animation can be referenced as it's "two main genres", but when comparing novels, films, theatre plays, anime, and cartoons to each other, then it's easier to call all of them "media", because in everything else than technicalities, they are at least as different from each other as TV from theatre.

Cowboy Bepop is like the Citizen Kane of Anime, because just like that film, it's a decent classic, that's only really notable feature is that it somehow managed to become the default "Best Ever" reply for everyone who is too lazy to have an own opinion.

I call shenannigans on this one on so many levels. First, Kyle gave an extra point to Gus for bringing the soda. Second, Gus spit-taked about three times, and I don't care that he's not used to it - spit take = disqualification. If Gus hadn't got that point, it would have been a tie Third, the episode title is entirely wrong. "Best 'Mon show", yes. "Best Anime"? Without Gurren Lagann as a contender?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here