Miracle of Sound: Sovngarde Song (Skyrim)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
Are you a genius? Cause i think you are.

Nah! I just work hard ;)

ChocoFace:

Here's to hoping you'll become world-famous some day. Cheers, Gav.

Fingers crossed.

Mikodite:

That said, while I felt that the song was fitting to the game, I also felt that the song itself was a bit of a mess. The strings and the rock riffs came out of nowhere, instrumental segments that repeat themselves a little too much and the lyrics were more word-salady than they usually are.

I think it may come down to genre. The song is meant to reflect symphonic/folk metal (Nightwish, Maiden, Trollhammer, Turisas etc) which, to be honest, usually has far more repetition than this song has. It's just the style.

Anyway, the only part that gets repeated is the folky guitar riff during the fast bit, and even that is only repeated once. Everything else is either different or a variation on another part as opposed to the same. In my personal opinion too little repetition is just as bad as to much.

Daar drun lot faad wah sil pogaan werid nonvul sonaan.

Yep, definitely my favourite yet. I'm working it out on piano.

MiracleOfSound:

Random berk:
Nailed it, Gavin. Fucking nailed it. This was truly epic. I have to wonder though, some where in time, will you be able to top this? There's a challenge for you.

Meh... people said the same about Commander Shepard, New Black Gold, Redemption Blues, Age Of The Dragon, Sweet L.A. etc etc...

I'm not too worried ;)

Good to hear.:) Nice work, this song was every bit as good as you said it would be.

This is the official theme of Skyrim.
Amazing song and I love it!

I've been trying to work out what's wrong with the video for this song, and its been bugging me all day... until I watched it again ten minutes ago. During the 'Conquer the anger and ravenous rage!' paragraph, there really should have been a werewolf transformation shot. Or at least a shot where a werewolf fights the dragon, perhaps around 'Pummeling down let your bloodlust engage!'

Threw some runes together,
the combination Dr-Ag-On,
is who I am, is what I do,
no one's gonna patch it up for you.

Try to focus my spellcrafting,
but I feel so Fa-Do-Ra,
I need some help, some training
(but the gold ain't coming so easily) Wh-Oa-Oh

Trying to cast the magic,
trying to write an epic,
Don't you know,
Don't you know,
Don't you know?

Waste bin full of scrap paper,
clever Nords, see you later!

These swords are my own,
From my forge flow;
I'll kill you,
I'll kill you,
I'll kill you,
I'll kill you!

I heard someone I was playing hockey against at my university earlier today singing this. I laughed and responded with Age of the dragon. He laughed back.

Id otnk now, justa little funny story I thought would be nice to share since I dont really hav an opinion of the song other than I like since I dont play Skyrim.

Just realised what your voice reminds me of; Load/Reload era James Hetfield. Take that as an insult or a compliment, I guess.

emeraldrafael:
I heard someone I was playing hockey against at my university earlier today singing this. I laughed and responded with Age of the dragon. He laughed back.

That is awesome, haha! Second time I've heard a story like that and it makes me think wow, the world is so small!

Sucal:
I've been trying to work out what's wrong with the video for this song, and its been bugging me all day... until I watched it again ten minutes ago. During the 'Conquer the anger and ravenous rage!' paragraph, there really should have been a werewolf transformation shot. Or at least a shot where a werewolf fights the dragon, perhaps around 'Pummeling down let your bloodlust engage!'

Considering the song isn't about werewolves in any way shape or form, I'm quite happy not having them in the video :D

I plan, at some point in my life, to belt this out from the top of a mountain, or at least in some desolate plains. It fits the setting perfectly, and stays true to the game. Well done indeed!

miracleofsound.bandcamp.com F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5...

(shut up and take my money!)

So, after three days with this song, I honestly think it's my new favorite. Congratulations, in two months you already made this obsolete.

Wow lot of staff posting in this thread too I noticed.

Awe inspiring song once again!

MiracleOfSound:

For our hearts they are hardy, our spirits are strong, and our voices are lifted into this Sovngarde song.

If you answer I'm happy, if you just read this it's good enough for me since I guess you get pretty much quotes and messages.

The question: How do you choose the games? Famous ones, ones you like, or do you ask a friend what game you should make a song of, or maybe even the escapist gives you the song?

The hope: Any possibilities for a Zelda/Metroid/StarFox/Mario/DonkeyKong song? Or why not all the famous Nintendo chars at ones from a SuperSmashBros game?

Keep up the good work, still think that Gordon Freeman is your best one ;)
Rock On from Finland!!

Guffe:

The question: How do you choose the games? Famous ones, ones you like, or do you ask a friend what game you should make a song of, or maybe even the escapist gives you the song?

I choose them depending on how I felt about the game in question and whether I think I can make a decent song out of the subject matter. I also tend to choose more recent or popular games for the most part as, well, it gets more views!

The Escapist never asks me to pick a particular game, though I do consider any requests I get from the audience :)

Guffe:

The hope: Any possibilities for a Zelda/Metroid/StarFox/Mario/DonkeyKong song? Or why not all the famous Nintendo chars at ones from a SuperSmashBros game?

Big Nintendo fan eh? The thing is I don;t have a Wii. And I don't plan on getting one. maybe a Wii 2 when it comes out, if there are enough games to merit the purchase.

I'll definitely get around to Mario and Zelda eventually as I grew up with them and adore them. Just been busy as hell this year with other stuff.

Guffe:

Keep up the good work, still think that Gordon Freeman is your best one ;)
Rock On from Finland!!

You're from Finland? I've been in Lahti twice. You Finns are awesome :) Had a great time swimming in the warm lakes at 3am! Also, you guys gave us Nightwish, which makes you even more awesome.

first of all, let me say i love your songs, and you are an awesome person for replying to so many people.

that said, i'm kind of a metalhead, and if i'm perfectly honest, this song just missed a bit of... power for what if felt like it was going for. i'm more used to a lower, heavier sound in the vocals, and the guitars were missing volume.

the lyrics, though... spot on. you really got the themes and wording for this kind of music down. the one point i have is that you could do with less words like 'they are','into','this' and so on (english isn't my first language, so i don't know the grammatical term)

i dont mean to offend, because this is really an amazing song you made, but this is just how i see it. good job.

Saxnot:

i dont mean to offend, because this is really an amazing song you made, but this is just how i see it. good job.

The thing is I have to cater for the majority of my audience... and sometimes metal can turn them off if it's too abrasive. This isn't really a metal song, more a folk rock kinda thing! (Though it was inspired by Maiden in a big way)

Excellent new song.You never seem to disappoint.:P

You sir are a God!

Necromancer Jim:

Boba Frag:
You've just convinced me to flip the bird to the empire and join the stormcloaks.
What they permit the godamn Thalmor to do is unforgivable.

I got really freaked out and upset by their torture camp up in the hills above Solitude...

Gav, that was amazing- so much heart went into that :D
I think I'll have another listen and then play Skyrim!

Sometimes, I dream of the mists of Sovnegarde....

Note: What they permit the Thalmor to do is so that the Thalmor won't destroy them and do much, much worse.

Still, both sides can go chat with Malacath for all I care.

Excellent song, Miracle. Truly fantastic, and seems to fit Skyrim and how morbid it can feel quite well.

Perhaps you are the rightful High Kind.

That's fair enough, but I'm rather crap at the game and I can't recall any difficulties in handing them their assholes to wear as hats, so fuck 'em! :P

But no, seriously, that kind of sneering bully is the one that needs to be stood up to most.
I'm under no illusions as to the Stormcloaks, got very uncomfortable when I saw what they were doing to the Dunmer, and how they treat any other non-Nords.
But at the same time, I can't see how permitting Thalmor wankers to torture people is supposed to convince people in Skyrim to stay in the Empire.
It's rotting, corrupt and grasping at straws. It needs to die.

First time i heard this i thought it was "our voices are lifted into the southern gods song" and it was about talos (or whichever character became a god) from one of the earlier games. But a very nice flow to the song regardless

Joint favourite song alongside Little Sister... Brilliant work here dude.

MiracleOfSound:
Sovngarde Song (Skyrim)

I hoped for :

But i'm not disappointed with what you served instead. :)

...still, you could use more of that :

JesterRaiin:

Nah. This one was aimed at everyone, not just the the metal fans.

MiracleOfSound:

JesterRaiin:

Vikings choir is always relevant, no matter what genre. Even brostep is much better with some sad, pesimistic howls. ;)

anian:
unlike most of your stuff which is very close to speed metal etc. which I don't normally listen to

Please do your research before making statements like that.

This year alone I've made country, jazz ballad, hard rock, ambient, grindhouse rock, eastern world music, electro pop, industrial, pop-rock, rave, disco, blues, orchestral, dance, even tropical marimba music.

Only 5 or 6 of my songs this year are anything even remotely resembling metal, and the only one that could in any way shape or form be thought of as speed metal would be 'Duke You Used To Be Cool'.

JesterRaiin:

MiracleOfSound:

JesterRaiin:

Vikings choir is always relevant, no matter what genre. Even brostep is much better with some sad, pesimistic howls. ;)

Funnily enough. Bathory was one of the bands I used as influence for the vocal melodies... next Skyrim song will prob cater to the metalheads more ;)

MiracleOfSound:

JesterRaiin:

MiracleOfSound:

Funnily enough. Bathory was one of the bands I used as influence for the vocal melodies... next Skyrim song will prob cater to the metalheads more ;)

Next Skyrim song ? For Metals ?

;)

I can't stop listening to this, I want it on iTunes, now. It will probably even catch up on Normanday on plays which is currently sitting at the top of my 'Top 25 most played' playlist with 144 plays.

There needs to be a mod that makes this song the in-game battle music!

MiracleOfSound:
Please do your research before making statements like that.

This year alone I've made country, jazz ballad, hard rock, ambient, grindhouse rock, eastern world music, electro pop, industrial, pop-rock, rave, disco, blues, orchestral, dance, even tropical marimba music.

Only 5 or 6 of my songs this year are anything even remotely resembling metal, and the only one that could in any way shape or form be thought of as speed metal would be 'Duke You Used To Be Cool'.

First of all, I kind thought I elaborated my comment further in the post. I do admit that saying 90% was a bit of an exaggeration, I apologize for that.
The point was more of a that I find, again this personal preference and this doesn't mean I find songs to be "bad" or badly produced or similar judgment of quality nor that I am fully qualified to determine that since I am neither a trained or educated musician, majority of your songs make me feel like they're very similar to other songs I heard from you, but in a different genre.

Second, and this kind of hard discuss, but is tropical marimba example of Zombie holiday? If so, that song is more a mix of genres is it not? And you do mix genres quite often (again not a bad thing), but, again, some of those genres I don't like. If somebody says that a certain song is awesome, I think I have the right to say I didn't like the style it was made in.

Thirdly, and most important I think, I realise that I make up a minority with my opinon, so just keep doing what you're doing, and hey, you make tributes to video games and work hard, I can't say anything really negative about that and I thought I didn't, sorry you felt differntly.

anian:
[
Thirdly, and most important I think, I realise that I make up a minority with my opinon, so just keep doing what you're doing, and hey, you make tributes to video games and work hard, I can't say anything really negative about that and I thought I didn't, sorry you felt differntly.

No no, that's perfectly fine with me. ;) No problem at all with people not being a fan of a particular genre I attempt or even not liking particular songs. My argument with you was exclusively to do with branding most of my work as metal when it is generally not.

I listened once and thought "yeah that was okay" then forgot about it. Or so I thought, 2 days later its still stuck in my head and I can't get enough. I'm off to buy the album now.

Oh and if this could somehow make it to the Rock Band Network that would be plain amazing. Seems like a long shot but I'd love it.

Yup, best song you've ever done dude. (well this and Little sister.) I particularly liked the choice of chords, because when it all kicks in, it's not that complex, but it all comes together wonderfully.

Currently downloading LEVEL 1 - The 2011 Collection off bandcamp (both flac and mp3 version) and damn $10 for all those songs?! Best deal ever!

Though I was wondering, is there any particular reason for the way the songs are ordered on the bandcamp site?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here