How to Woo a Gamer Guy

Pages PREV 1 2 3

-'Gamer Guys are amongst the finest specimens the human race has to offer,'-

Besides the Susan Arendt 'low content post', I would say this the the most trivial 'nothing being said' part of the thread.

Is this the 'Tito' law of flame = fame?

OT: The steps laid out are not only insulting, but they aren't even close to being topical.

Let us type them out:

Cosplay, dress down, smart phone, female characters have great asses, (ThinkGeek is something that real people should know about? Really?) Accept that you're in the minority, seem like a noob, ect ect...

This translates into : -'Don't try to say anything of substance'-

Cuz then you'll just be a friggin tosser, eh? Savvy?

The icing on the cake?

A 'Gamer Guy' isn't any different than a 'Real Guy'. That fact that your smug little fun 'piece' on the matter suggests gamers are less than/anything other than/ normal people, is insulting.

Shame on you.

-'Never play social games.'-

Cuz being 'social' is something looked down on as far as some people are concerned.

fucking lol there

At least the bail was sent out when you said: -'Every relationship is unique, and needs to be tackled individually.'-

Good jorb saving face.

The list was pretty funny. I got to 5 before I realized it was satire. Not bad.
Shame the second half was so generic but really what could you do with that?

Wow, you almost had me there. Especially weird, since I don't expect the sort of thing on the first page to even be on this site.

Good job.

Some people just aren't made for relationships.

Them's the breaks.

Susan Arendt:

BrotherRool:
I very nearly didn't make it to the end of the first page. Wave a flag or something :D

Also subtle pseudonyms

EDIT: Wow, a lot of work has gone into those twitter accounts

Those are their actual names, dude.

Wow, probably not even pen names. Then I hope they met each other and decided that it'd be perfect to write a valentines column together or... really really big coincidence :(

This preachy and unsubtle piece undermines its attempt at parody when, in the last paragraph of the first page, it assumes it has been too clever for the reader and must explain exactly what it is about. Unfortunately it also uses a gender stereotype to make its point. Thinking you have a good point doesn't excuse poor writing.

...whats wrong with garish gamign shirts? :(

but yeah, I thourght they were being serious for a second there

I laughed so hard at the first page and I was hoping it was a joke. Thankfully it was.
Also we aren't all out to get gamer girls... If I do call someone a gamer girl I just think of it as a fast way to get across a girl that happens to play games. Its a lot easier to say then gamer girl.

DVS BSTrD:
snip

Would have to be a pretty awesome guy to beat Skyrim, I doubt I have the capabilities to ensnare such a man.

;D

But seriously you are totally right. I just don't really have the compulsion to look right now. I have loads of other stuff (college course, writing jobs) going on at the moment, shattered enough as it is. ><

xXxJessicaxXx:

DVS BSTrD:
snip

Would have to be a pretty awesome guy to beat Skyrim, I doubt I lack the capabilities to ensnare such a man.

You just need a guy that can FUS-RO-DAH your clothes off. It's harder than it sounds.

Plus, Skyrim had like a hundred dungeons to explore... Men and women? One, maybe TWO tops.

I don't understand step 10, are you trying to tell me there are gamers in the world who DONT LIKE POKEMON? Im just not willing to accept that.

xXxJessicaxXx:
Oh I wish I could find a guy who can cope with me playing, say, Skyrim for 300 hours. But really, that's kind of selfish on my part and kind of silly to expect someone to put up with my gaming obsession.

On the other hand, I can't imagine dating a guy who isn't a gamer...what the hell would we talk about, the weather? (Maybe there would be less talking...hmm ;p)

I laughed a lot at the first part xD

Find a guy who cooks, and let each of you have your own tv and console/computer. In between hour stretches of play, you can compare, feast, drink, bounce about a bit if you're into that, then get back to it. Order in pizza from time to time. If you let him play his game for 300 hours, he'll let you play yours. Probably. If he doesn't, trade him in. Oh, and try and synch up play times. Nothing's worse than wanting to do something when your partner has just hit their stride.

BehattedWanderer:
If you let him play his game for 300 hours, he'll let you play yours. Probably. If he doesn't, trade him in.

I just love this comment. I'd also like to point out that I don't play Skyrim or any MMOs (only lumping them together because I'm talking about time commitment), but my hubby does. I indulge other activities during his time on them. You don't have to share *all* your hobbies with your partner, you just have to be comfortable with learning to share your time and communicating what balance of me-time/us-time you want in a relationship.

Seriously, Skyrim was a lifesaver during Nanowrimo - I thought he was going to feel all neglected during my hours of novelling, but no - we set up our laptops next to each other, drank endless cups of tea, and powered away together.

The best trolling stereotyping satire ive read in days. very well done.

BehattedWanderer:

xXxJessicaxXx:
Oh I wish I could find a guy who can cope with me playing, say, Skyrim for 300 hours. But really, that's kind of selfish on my part and kind of silly to expect someone to put up with my gaming obsession.

On the other hand, I can't imagine dating a guy who isn't a gamer...what the hell would we talk about, the weather? (Maybe there would be less talking...hmm ;p)

I laughed a lot at the first part xD

Find a guy who cooks, and let each of you have your own tv and console/computer. In between hour stretches of play, you can compare, feast, drink, bounce about a bit if you're into that, then get back to it. Order in pizza from time to time. If you let him play his game for 300 hours, he'll let you play yours. Probably. If he doesn't, trade him in. Oh, and try and synch up play times. Nothing's worse than wanting to do something when your partner has just hit their stride.

one contender right here.

P.S. capcha: Emptied advice....RIGHT.

Zen Toombs:
I read the beginning of the first part, and became concerned about the list format. Then I read this:

Step 5: Never out your boo as a gamer to his non-gamer friends. He's ashamed and you should be, too.

And I began to weep for humanity.
And then I read this:

Step 8: Accept that you're in the minority. Games aren't made for you, they're made for your Gamer Babe. Boys are the only ones who buy games, anyway.

And realized the first part of the article as the joke it is.

Great article, and thanks for re-restoring my faith in humanity in the second part!

Haha, I had the same experience. It took me a worryingly long time, come to think of it, to realise that the first list was meant as satire.

I gotta say though, the article's much better when it IS satire. The final advice seems to be "be honest about who you are and what you do with the girl you are wooing." To which I would respectfully ask: "Does this REALLY needed to be pointed out to anybody except the kind of person who would write the kind of article that this kind of thing kind of satirises?"

I'm a weeaboo geek variety. But all the weeaboo guys want an Asian girlfriend and hate us.:<

Susan Arendt:

pirateninj4:
I have a re-write of that whole article:

How to woo a gamer guy = the same as you would woo any other guy.

Well, yes, that was kind of the point. :)

Perhaps there could be an article for the boys then...I think how to woo a gamer girl, or more importantly ANY girl could be well received.

Sober Thal:

Besides the Susan Arendt 'low content post', I would say this the the most trivial 'nothing being said' part of the thread.

Excuse me? What low content post are you referring to?

Susan Arendt:

Sober Thal:

Excuse me? What low content post are you referring to?

The one on the first page of this thread, post # 30. I've seen people get warned for only having 3 word posts.

How to Woo any Guy.

Step 1: Take off your shirt

Done.

We're not that picky, evolution made us that way.

Well, I'm not sure what I did to win over my guy but I'm glad it worked :P
I suppose being awesome is all I needed to do *wink*
Seriously though, the fact we have so much in common and are both geeks, everything else just fell into place. It's a good idea using websites like Escapist too if you want to find a geeky partner.
A lot of the points were relevant to me and I was gonna send in some advice when I saw Susan tweet about it but for some unexplained reason didn't. >_>

EeveeElectro:
Well, I'm not sure what I did to win over my guy but I'm glad it worked :P
I suppose being awesome is all I needed to do *wink*
Seriously though, the fact we have so much in common and are both geeks, everything else just fell into place. It's a good idea using websites like Escapist too if you want to find a geeky partner.
A lot of the points were relevant to me and I was gonna send in some advice when I saw Susan tweet about it but for some unexplained reason didn't. >_>

Well that's because you are awesome! Also yes, some of the points are relevant to your awesomeness.
Specifically;

Point 1: I love your cosplay

Point 3: You like your Xbox

Point 10: You like Pokemon :D

Point *Not actually in that article*: You're a brony like me (or Pegasister is you want to be specific)

It is kind of scary actually the level to similarities in our tastes as gamers. I'm guessing that is one of the major attractions of dating a "gamer girl" is that you know that there is a high chance they will like a large amount of geeky things if you yourself have taken in a large amount of gaming culture for a long time (like myself). I've never specifically gone out and looked for a "gamer girl" to date because limiting yourself to just a small group of people within a small group of people (compared to the world in general I would hazard that geeks are still classed more or less as a minority in raw figures. In my opinion) leaves you with very few options. Turns out that love can blossom anywhere and I didn't even have to leave house! (yet)

I'm not sure if people are being funny or serious, but I feel I need to point out that "getting laid" and "being in a relationship" are not synonyms.

Also, seriously, getting laid as a gamer girl is hardly challenging. Not like we need instructions on that.

your boo

Unless you mean this...
...it's beau, not boo.

Beau is pronounced "bow" and is the proper form. "Boo" is slang. Both are perfectly acceptable words.

"Most of all, we're tired of men portraying themselves as gaming's Master Race."

What? Dude it's white people who are the master race, not men (yes I'm joking).

But seriously who the hell said that?

Elate:
I've dated a few gamer girls. Now I only date gamer guys. Why?

Well one crazy Pokémon player aside (She was an even more dedicated gamer than me) the vast majority are just a pain in the ass to even game with, I attribute that to being female. As one poster has previously mentioned they're always whining on about things in game like take left 4 dead for example, one ex used to throw a fit if I didn't coddle and look after her on it.

Little things like that made me slowly resent her, especially when the "You spend more time on your computer than you do with me" crap started. Guys? Guys aren't like that, aside from when we play seriously (games like Dota 2, which I'm terrible at) where lots of shouting and cursing are involved, there is no tension over games, we play games we both enjoy, or our own games (I like Star Trek, he doesn't, he tried it and didn't enjoy it) that we don't force upon each other.

Maybe I just have a terrible habit of picking up the crazy women, but in the past they have always tried to force gaming as a shared activity to "spend more time together" and in the long run, it isn't worth the effort.

The gamer girls I've been out with have all been completely insane. But tended to get significantly less drawn into pokemon than me.

Gamer guys I seem incapable of meeting? o-O As crazy as that sounds.

I shall stick to the voices in my head that tell me to keep looking for that shiny Axew. They make better company usually. xD

Sober Thal:

At least the bail was sent out when you said: -'Every relationship is unique, and needs to be tackled individually.'-

Good jorb saving face.

Agree with everything you say up to here, every relationship is the same, just different shit hits different fans at different times. But in the long run, the same problems occur for most people. The same issues will always arise. She likes furniture that looks good, he wants a pool table, etc. (shit example)

SkarKrow:

Agree with everything you say up to here, every relationship is the same, just different shit hits different fans at different times. But in the long run, the same problems occur for most people. The same issues will always arise. She likes furniture that looks good, he wants a pool table, etc. (shit example)

Personally think you're wrong there, every relationship I've been in has had many different problems. Alright some, like your example, can reoccur, but generally it all depends on the two people and their individual insecurities.

Elate:

Personally think you're wrong there, every relationship I've been in has had many different problems. Alright some, like your example, can reoccur, but generally it all depends on the two people and their individual insecurities.

Fair enough. Speaking from personal experience most relationships I've been in have encountered similar problems, at least for smaller problems, bigger problems do obviously vary but the majority have been recurring complications that just seem to naturally stem from differences in perspective between I and a partner.

I was more meaning that love is love. When people gush about how theirs is special it isn't, it's the same love as everybody elses, they just gush about it more.

But then, I'm a rather jaded and tormented creature so perhaps repeated bad experiences have just made me bitter and resentful on top of a good deal of social anxiety.

Short: I respect and acknowlegde your opinion, but stand by my own experience.

Was wondering why the beginning was so sarcastic and stereotypical there for a second

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here