Zero Punctuation: Darkness 2

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Darkness 2

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Darkness 2.

Watch Video

Why are you so very handsome, Mr Yahtzee?

Also, awesome review. :D I just finished reading your book and that was great too. Jim did the right thing in the end. xD

Hmm, I also only played the demo of the first one, it interested me but I was poor at the time. I may have to rent both of them sometime soon as I did enjoy the demo.

Not bad, sounds like he enjoyed it a whole lot more than I expected he would, though I haven't played either of the Darkness games; the main complaint I'm hearing with this game is that its only 6-7 hours long.

Wow, what a difference from that first YouTube video. I will always remember Yahtzee picking up a car with his tentacles and rubbing it on everything trying to escape a graveyard... This one was... hmm... not as funny, sadly.

When I heard about the sequel I happened to be in a gamestop and managed to find a nice complete copy of the first darkness in the bargain bin. I'm about 30 minutes into it and it seems pretty interesting so far. I've flipped through the comic but it seems pretty blah. So it's funny you say the sequel appears to adhere to that blaaahness. I'll keep an open mind.

yeah that short 6 hours does kinda suck but you can play a New game+??

the co-op stuff is cool with the Japaneses guy,Scott,Black guy and the lone female thrown in so its not a complete sausage fest.

Yeah whatever, I need to play a game with a decent story again so badly, I'm gonna give this a try. Seriously developers, it can be done if you would just TRY!

I agree with the lack of sympathy for Jackie but for different reasons: first, what the hell happened to his voice actor!?! Secondly, its hard to sympathise when we're presented with the sides of the Darkness engulfed Jackie, a pyschotic and remorseless contract-killer who worked for and then usurped someone who had no qualms with killing children, and the Angelus, a pyschotic and remorseless divine being that apparently will commit mass-genocide on humans if anyone even says the word "darkness"-maybe I need to read the comics.....

Always fun when the review is "it was actually pretty good..."

I'd love to play as Doctor Octopus.

I forgot what I was going to say before that comment played in the credits.

Wow this takes me back indeed

One of these days, Jackie's going to go "why do I hate the Darkness again? This actually seems pretty awesome..."

Hmm yea that one also got me thinking. You would be one hell of a wall crawling bastard

Corporal Yakob:
I agree with the lack of sympathy for Jackie but for different reasons: first, what the hell happened to his voice actor!?! Secondly, its hard to sympathise when we're presented with the sides of the Darkness engulfed Jackie, a pyschotic and remorseless contract-killer who worked for and then usurped someone who had no qualms with killing children, and the Angelus, a pyschotic and remorseless divine being that apparently will commit mass-genocide on humans if anyone even says the word "darkness"-maybe I need to read the comics.....

No, it's pretty much the same in the earlier issues of the comics. Except that the Angelus wants to enslave the world, not destroy it. After the original Darkness game came out, they tried to make Jackie a more sympathetic character (with The Darkness still being a complete dick, of course).
Admittedly, all my knowledge about the comics was what I could get for free. (Preordering this game off of Steam, plus the few free issues of The Darkness and Witchblade, which take place in the same universe, that Comixology had.)

Does a 60$ purchase justify only 6 ish hours of gameplay? I would love to play it, but alas, I'm no millionaire. Looks like gamefly food.

It's too bad the comic book style never manages to draw you in. Don't quite understand why they felt the need for a whole Co-op campaign, surely a few challenge maps could have sufficed?

I would love a game where you play as Doc Ock.

But darkness-tentacles growing from your back would be my choice for a superpower, so maybe I'll need to check this out.

OK, I have to say it's been a long time since I laughed at his "Fucking 1 %" comment. Probably my favourite review in a long time.

Heh, I suspected we were going to see a glorious tribute to his brief review of the first, brings it all back home...

I knew you whouldnt dissapoint me Beny . Thanks

Neverdead next plz sounds like you could make lots of jokes reviewing that game.

I found it funny that the ad before the review was for The Darkness 2.

Hmm...I wonder if mister Yahtzee will do a Twisted Metal review...

Well whaddaya know, he kinda liked it.

As for Darkness 1, anyone who hasn't played it should do so. It's worth it for the 'dream sequences' alone - you get to run around a hell-ified version of WW1 and eviscerate German zombie soldiers.

there may be a problem the humor is gone for me.

I was concerned when I saw on a poster advertising this game a quote by FHM (a wankmag) praising it in London. My concerns seemed valid. Says a lot when you want to use a quote by a Magazine made to produce Man Discharge as Publicity. I'd be more interested by the game if it was say, Yahtzee saying it has problems. Oh wait.

This game sounds really good and I'm on the edge about buying it. It just looks really fun pulling people apart and having those two snake monsters.

However I never played the first game, so I don't know if I'd understand what's going on.

I created an account just to say I'm done with your site now.

Unskippable 30 second advert to watch a 4min vid?

Awesome idea guys.

meetsamsmith:

Awesome idea guys.

such tyranny has never been afflicted upon humankind before, truly, this 30 second advert is the moral nadir of our very existence.

Watching this took me back to watching the first ZP. Now I feel old.

Isn't Jackie in the Darkness essentially like playing as Doc Ock except replacing mechanical arms with demonic snake tentacle things? Well that and replacing brilliant, if whacko, scientist with brooding mobster type guy. I don't know I've never played any of the Darkness games.

OT, but since Yahtzee brought it up again I feel it's worth mentioning: he was greatly unfair to Monster Hunter.

meetsamsmith:

Awesome idea guys.

Yes, I too am offended at the fact that they want to create some actual ad revenue so they can pay the content providers. I will only be satisfied when the Escapist removes those adverts, crippling their revenue and rendering them incapable of paying Yahtzee for his videos. After all, what sort of greedy bastard wants to be paid for his work? Getting our content for free is a start, but having to watch a short advert? fucking unthinkable!

Dear Esther needs to be done next.

Is it just my imagination, or does Project X look like it's gonna be godawful?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here