The Big Picture: I Don't Know

Pages PREV 1 2 3

It's too bad you don't know about manga. Most people only like either manga or US comics, and down here in Internetville they'll freely shit on the one they don't like and its fans. Bob seems to be a balanced guy and he really loves comics, so I'd love to see a fair comparison of the two media by him.

Falseprophet:

Memories of being 14 and my friend bringing over the Blizzard of Ozz tape one day:

ME: This is a good song. What's it called?

FRIEND: I Don't Know.

ME: What do you mean, this is your tape! You have to know the name of the song.

FRIEND: [slowly] I...DON'T...KNOW.

ME: Give me that tape...[sheepishly] Oh.

Sorry, your friend is a dick for not giving an unambiguous answer the second time (such as, "The name of that song is I Don't Know".

Wow its scary how close Bobs weekly routine is to my own. Guess its just a pretty typical modern lifestyle for anyone whose work is mostly internet based.

Frankfurter4444:
I guess I find it strange that one of the five groups is the entire medium of music seeing as how much is covered under that umbrella.

visual medium
written medium
sound medium

Really?

I'm sure there is a subset in there somewhere you have an opinion on. I'm not forcing, I'm just saying I figured at some point some band or some movement or something might make it on to the show. Again, not pushing, just surprised that one of the major mediums doesn't make it on.

Look forward to whatever you do make a video on.

I think Bob's issue is that, while he could do an episode called "Bob's favorite Band" it wouldn't be particularly informative or insightful - it would just be some info on a band Bob happens to like. Therefore, as it holds no wider interest beyond people being curious about what Bob likes (and as he has no wider understanding of the Music Industry or music composition) it wouldn't be a very good episode.

On the other hand, Bob knows a LOT about the movie industry because, well, he works in it. He also follows the comic book industry closely. In the case of, say, the Spiderman episodes, he doesn't just talk about the plots - he talks about the industry moves that caused the plots to happen. From what he said, Bob feels that he doesn't have enough 'behind the scenes' knowledge to talk about the music industry.

I can say much the same thing. While I probably could talk with authority about many aspects of anime, manga, and Doctor Who - and the industries and studio politics and policies that created various trends and interesting plot turns therein, I certainly couldn't speak with authority on... well, movies or American comic books. Nor could I speak about the music industry, even though I love to listen to music. And, while I could talk about, say, Sailor Moon, I couldn't talk about Pokemon, having had little-no interest in it. I know some of the history and background, but I never watched the show so said knowledge is all very academic.

I... don't quite remember what my point was. Um....

Bob, I completely disagree with you about Linkara. It's been almost 6 months since the last episode, so I think it's up for grabs now.

First movie critic I've heard of that openly admits to not knowing about music. To me that is like saying "I don't really know much about the art of Camera angles".

...Maybe that's just me.

I'm confused by this. Because, let's face it, almost everything that Bob has made videos about are things that have been clearly mined from Wikipedia and quick Google searches, but also on top of that have very often been inaccurate, skewed and about as fairly balanced as Fox News on a good day.

So, while I'm glad that Bob is finally admitting that he doesn't know about this stuff, but also I'm befuddled that he thinks that these wikipedia collection videos are some kind of sign of "knowledge" than can't be applied to many other things.

Thanks for being honest, Bob, guess you can't know about everything... Oh, and if anyone's looking for Power Rangers or Doctor Who rundowns, I suggest looking at http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/hopr for the former (like Bob mentioned previously) and http://blip.tv/sf-debris-opinionated-reviews#!page=1 for the latter. Just thought I'd throw it out there for all my fellow geeks and nerds. ^_^

SpiderJerusalem:
I'm confused by this. Because, let's face it, almost everything that Bob has made videos about are things that have been clearly mined from Wikipedia and quick Google searches, but also on top of that have very often been inaccurate, skewed and about as fairly balanced as Fox News on a good day.

So, while I'm glad that Bob is finally admitting that he doesn't know about this stuff, but also I'm befuddled that he thinks that these wikipedia collection videos are some kind of sign of "knowledge" than can't be applied to many other things.

Well, the guy openly admitted that he doesn't like to do research so most likely a quick Wikipedia search is what passes as research to him.

SpiderJerusalem:

In fairness to Bob when he talks about comics he's not too shabby, though probably because that it easier to research and I like some of the stuff he does about cinema, he does simplify things a bit too much but meh. When he steps beyond that into politics or society.....

Thanks for breaking my kneecap within the first thirty seconds, then coming back for round 2 right at the tail end of that one.

How about Firefly and Serenity? Just kidding. However very amusing episode ^_^

So I guessing one of the things we can ask you about is how do you work out, fitness exercise wise?

I'm surprised he didn't mention my little pony. I would guess a lot of people has been asking him to do an episode on that.

McMarbles:
I defeinitely sympathize with you on the Dr. Who front, as your story was almost exactly my story, except for the part about having actually watched some of it.

See, back in the late 80s, our local PBS station used to run uncut, commercial free Star Trek episodes every Saturday night. This, as you can imagine, was incredibly awesome, and was how I managed to see most of the series. Eventually, they added TNG episodes, which was less awesome, since I'd actually seen most of them, but still somewhat cool. Then they replaced it with Dr. Who. And for the longest time, I resented Dr. Who. These days,I wanna get into it, but have no idea where to even start.

If you want to get into it, start with the 2005 series (starring Christopher Eccleston). They brought it back for the first full series in 16 years so it was kind of a reboot but they kept all of the continuity.

OT: Liked the episode, I thought it was weird that Doctor Who didn't ever get referenced.

For the record - Community - you absolutely HAVE to get into that at one point or another.
Kind of the same for me as far as Dr. Who goes, tbh... been meaning to get into it, but that just hasn't happened for various reasons.

Awww...no Doctor. Which is alright, because that seems like it would/could/should be a miniseries all on it's own.

So...here's hoping for one on the highs and lows of Zelda, then.

That you won't do episodes about Doctor Who is completely understandable, but I will recommend you to watch the new series. Don't watch it as a job assignment, just watch it to see if you like the series.

Bob, you deserve 1000 Internets for mentioning Linkara's "The History of Power Rangers". series ^^

also, I agree with whoever said we need a Gamera Episode. :)

The 'related to' tags pretty much gave away what the 5 areas things were.

Bob, one thing I'm sort of curious about is what makes a geek God? I know you did a BP on Nerd Gods, but that isn't necessarily what I mean.

Why did Chuck Norris become the Jebus of Sean Connery's Zeus? Was he simply the right guy at the right time? What about guys like Nathan Fillion? He's a great actor, but why (beyond Firefly fandom) has he become a mythical geekdom hero? What Would Neil Patrick Harris Do? Did that only really come about due to Harold and Kumar? Star Trek. It's everywhere, with references to the actors cropping up as near celestial beings (ie Sheldon Cooper's obsession with Nemoy on Big Bang Theory, etc).

I'd like to see you discuss this.

Did Bob just say he watchs Maddow!?!?
I love her!

DUDE, YOU ROCK! Bob I know you are a busy dude and have little time but an anime developed from a manga you may find pretty interesting is Death note, if you find the time check out an episode or two I reckon you would quite like it and find the story and idea very interesting and amusing. Also thanks for introducing me to the Boondock saints film fracking AWESOME!!! Be cool and stay frosty

I've had the same basic experience with Doctor Who. I've never been able to really get into it despite wanting to.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here