Kids Today

Pages PREV 1 2

Veterinari:

MovieBob:
I don't know that I share Kahn's boundless enthusiasm for the prospects of Generation Y

Okay, I'm going a bit off-topic, but "Generation Y"? Are we still using that to talk about kids in school? I was called a Generation Y kid when I went to school back in the nineties. People not even born then are starting to look for colleges or have kids of their own. I kinda assumed we were at Z. Y'know, the first generation who never saw a world without cellphones or internet?

And I hope that, however unlikely, whoever thought it would be a good idea to start the whole "Generation LETTER" thing on X is going to be alive to see the inevitable Generation Z-2 or whatever crap we'll come up with.

Slightly more on topic; It is nice to see someone who's not falling into the trap of complaining about whatever generation that came after the one they're from. It's never very sexy.

The current generation is called the iGeneration.

Saw the title and felt obligated to post this:

Kind of related? I didn't read the entire article.

3quency:

PhiMed:
The fact that their kids are vapid, shallow, uneducated slobs with all the culture of a petri dish is an unfortunately coincidence.

Thank you. Thank you so much.
I'm sorry but this is an affront to both myself as a product of the current generation and my parents. I've been raised to have wide interests and to think critically.
I read the news. I have an interest in history. I try to expand my cultural and intellectual pursuits regularly.

I am not vapid or shallow and I resent that my generation is being written of as such.
We are kids, and we have just as much of a mix of intelligence and idiocy as the last generation.

Hey, even in the bleakest moments of the dark ages, there were still shining lights. If you simultaneously are aware of history and modern events AND are proud of your generation, then you are either a shining paragon of your age or tragically naive.

Facts are facts. U.S. students are barely above average internationally. That may seem less than dire, until you realize that the vast majority of people they are competing against have zero internet access and live in places where running water is a privilege most cannot afford.

American students today are incapable of competing in a modern marketplace. That is why we have had a precipitous decline in the number of Ph.D.'s in mathematics and science over the past 20 years. Anyone who says that the American educational institutions are just as good as they were 20 years ago is out of their mind. And American parents let it get to this point.

We are the richest, most privileged country in the world. We chose to spend it on bullshit rather than educating our children, and we are now reaping the rewards of our decisions. If you can honestly look around at the general population at your school and say, "Yeah, most of these people will be good citizens that I think will contribute positively to society," then you are one of the following: delightfully incorrect, home schooled, a private school attendee, or you live in a very good school district.

idarkphoenixi:
Saw the title and felt obligated to post this:

Kind of related? I didn't read the entire article.

Then you would agree with the subject of the interview, because he was saying that braintrusts who can't read two (really short) pages are actually SMART.

Veterinari:

MovieBob:
I don't know that I share Kahn's boundless enthusiasm for the prospects of Generation Y

Okay, I'm going a bit off-topic, but "Generation Y"? Are we still using that to talk about kids in school? I was called a Generation Y kid when I went to school back in the nineties. People not even born then are starting to look for colleges or have kids of their own. I kinda assumed we were at Z. Y'know, the first generation who never saw a world without cellphones or internet?

And I hope that, however unlikely, whoever thought it would be a good idea to start the whole "Generation LETTER" thing on X is going to be alive to see the inevitable Generation Z-2 or whatever crap we'll come up with.

Slightly more on topic; It is nice to see someone who's not falling into the trap of complaining about whatever generation that came after the one they're from. It's never very sexy.

I'm glad you didn't fall into the trap of choosing inappropriate adjectives. It's never very immaculate.

PhiMed:
I'm glad you didn't fall into the trap of choosing inappropriate adjectives. It's never very immaculate.

You understood exactly what I meant, though. Is there some point you were trying to make or were you just terribly offended?

Veterinari:

PhiMed:

You understood exactly what I meant, though. Is there some point you were trying to make or were you just terribly offended?

No. I just found your word choice amusingly oddball. No need to bunch the underpants.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here