GinxTV: Top 5 Worst Endings

Pages PREV 1 2

Xanadu84:

Don Reba:

Didn't Ubi then release a better ending for consoles owners?

If they did, id be interested in seeing it. Got a link?

Sure: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/10/joystiq-review-prince-of-persia-epilogue-dlc/

In the Epilogue DLC, they resurrect Elica and add a few more hours of gameplay. Although, you are right, we are still left no better off than when we start the game.

Xanadu84:
Id propose a new 4th place because in Rage and Bionics Commando, things happen as a result of your actions. The cell shaded Prince of Persia though? Literally, the game ends with everyone in the EXACT same position as the beginning. You could storywise not play the game and there would bo no noticeable differences in the sequal. What's more, you as the player are forced to undo all your actions. In slow and painful detail. Its like a child drawing a beautiful picture of a bunny, and an adult giving them a pair of sisors and demanding that they chop of its fuzzy little ears, its button nose, its puffy tail, and then taking the pieces and without a word, throwing them away while leaving the room, and slamming the door on the child's stunned silence.

That was what made the ending so beautiful. When you make the same decision you have been ridiculing the king for making. I thought that the ending was so cruel it was good. Then in the DLC they released afterwards, the girl refuses to talk to you because she disagrees with your choice. The whole Eilogue section just them showing you the result of your "choice".

Balmong7:

Xanadu84:
Id propose a new 4th place because in Rage and Bionics Commando, things happen as a result of your actions. The cell shaded Prince of Persia though? Literally, the game ends with everyone in the EXACT same position as the beginning. You could storywise not play the game and there would bo no noticeable differences in the sequal. What's more, you as the player are forced to undo all your actions. In slow and painful detail. Its like a child drawing a beautiful picture of a bunny, and an adult giving them a pair of sisors and demanding that they chop of its fuzzy little ears, its button nose, its puffy tail, and then taking the pieces and without a word, throwing them away while leaving the room, and slamming the door on the child's stunned silence.

That was what made the ending so beautiful. When you make the same decision you have been ridiculing the king for making. I thought that the ending was so cruel it was good. Then in the DLC they released afterwards, the girl refuses to talk to you because she disagrees with your choice. The whole Eilogue section just them showing you the result of your "choice".

I think we desperately need to compare this with ME 3. Its a game with a downer ending that marginalizes player action, and received a DLC to fix the shortcomings. This is a perfect historical context!

Balmong7:

Xanadu84:

...so what did you think of ME 3 marginalizing player choice in favor of a downer ending, followed by a clarification DLC.

Balmong7:

This is different from ME3, though. Prince of Persia abuses the player, but it does so to make the point of having him repeat the king's choice. ME3 seems to abuse the player for pure shock value.

Xenominim:
The ghostbusters one is funny just because of the errors but I think a lot of games from the NES era had similar endings as that and Mario, you weren't going to get a big cutscene or anything for most of them.

Oh there were some horrific endings in the 8-bit era. I was there. I hardly survived... *shudders*

If anybody else remembers "Dragon Ninja" for the C64 - famous only because jumping made you temporarily invincible, so the best way to go through the whole game was by holding down the "up" direction on your joypad/stick, and for its ridiculous text ending - they would probably be able to make a good case for it being deserving of this list. Now me, I'm gonna have a hamburger instead.

The ufo ending [in silent hill homecoming], from what i've read, sucks, you can get by accident and in the first playthorugh.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here