Miracle of Sound: Silver and Steel (The Witcher 2)

Pages PREV 1 2

I was hoping for something a little grittier to go with TW2's dark theme, but this was a good song none the less.

I feel like it's a bit too catchy for the Witcher. It's a great song but it doesn't capture the spirit of the game as well as some of the other songs (Sovngarde, Black Gold, Binary Divide.etc.) For Witcher a slower, deeper, more metallic, tune would have been in order.

Yossarian1507:
You need some training in Polish accent. I am Polish, and until I read the lyrics, I had no idea that was "srebro i stal". :P

Having said that - really, really awesome!

Nah, it's easy to recognize. "Srebro" sounds exactly as a Pole would pronounce it. The rest sounds rather Russian, though - I think it's because he put dark L in "stal". It's been a long time since anybody in Poland used dark L in everyday speech :)

The song is great!

"A silver mane adorns me" -love that line.

Gavin, the line where you say "for tiresome politics" I was anticipating the words "for tiresome parlor tricks" to kind of make a joke/insult from the witcher's perspective about their conveluted polotics.

I dont know why but i would have liked that a lot. Was gonna ask if it was intentional but then you would have been rhyming "tricks" with "tricks" and yeah...well crap xD

GrizzlerBorno:
I feel like it's a bit too catchy for the Witcher. It's a great song but it doesn't capture the spirit of the game as well as some of the other songs (Sovngarde, Black Gold, Binary Divide.etc.) For Witcher a slower, deeper, more metallic, tune would have been in order.

Personaly i found the wording to be very metallic on its own. "silver and steel" and all. Also the pace felt to me like the combat, rolling dodging and swinging swords. The song embraced the speed of combat. Although it may not have fealt like the game entirely it fealt like the main character's perspective. But i dont entirely disagree with what you said. I think they both hold their own.

I think the chorus could do with being two lines longer, but otherwise that was a good one. Reminds me of a Polish Age of the Dragon.

Very folksy, I like it. Great song!

OH YEAH, NEW MIRACLE OF SOUND.
I love this one, and it coincides with me playing through The Witcher 1 again. Have you read any of the books that the game is based off, Mr Dunne?

Whenever you release the more folky-rock-metal (or whatever it can be called) songs I get moist.

In a good way, not the sticky way.

Plough on, good sir. Plough on.

MiracleOfSound:
Silver and Steel (The Witcher 2)

Srebro i stal
Wow ! To think that you cared enough... Dzięki bardzo man. :]

Absolutely amazing song. Which is what I say pretty much every time you release a new song, but the fact that you manage to blow my mind so consistently is truly testament to your greatness.

Oh, Gav, you shouldn't have!

Man I love when you do things like this. Catchy, singable, and capable of being played loud on a road trip. Oh yes.

I appear to enjoy giving you money more consistently than anything else, my Paypal account tells me. I'm okay with this.

Awesome stuff, as always.

Presumably you have a Diablo 3 song lined up? ^-^

Loved this song... One thing I can't get over, which is a "take this as you will" but the opening really reminded me of the Monkey Island theme. I don't mean this as a negative, just something about the guitar's melody made me think "Monkey Island!".
... So now I gotta go play those games again.

I'm i the only one who thinks if wesker was ina fantasy setting?

Excludos:
Awesome stuff, as always.

Presumably you have a Diablo 3 song lined up? ^-^

Not until they release it for us console peasants!

... Thanks Gav, now everyone in the streets will be asking me why I just keep saying "Silver and steel".
Anyways, if I could ask you something: What would you recommend me to buy? Level 1 or Press X to Rock? I am really interested in acquiring most of your songs.
PS: Both is a valid answer to the question.

I have to admit I've taken no notice of any videos other than ZP for a year or more now, but boredom led me to the podcast, and the podcast led me to "holy shit, what's that awesome song?". Time to catch up, 'cos this is legitimately one of the best songs I've heard this year.

TheBestPieEver:
... Thanks Gav, now everyone in the streets will be asking me why I just keep saying "Silver and steel".
Anyways, if I could ask you something: What would you recommend me to buy? Level 1 or Press X to Rock? I am really interested in acquiring most of your songs.
PS: Both is a valid answer to the question.

Level one has all 33 songs I made last year so that's probably the better choice :)

I'm goingto be honest and say that I didn't enjoy it at first. After a few times though, I've come to enjoy it greatly.

Srebro i stal = Silver and permanent (according to google translated from korean)
also means silver and steel if you translate it from polish......
or silver I was/stood/cost and a bunch of other wierd combinations in other languages....

I couldn't shake the weird sense that the main hook sounds vaguely pirate-y, but I have to say it grew on me. I think I really understand the character depsite having played the game.

Good job!

I have had this f-ing song stuck in my head for nearly a week now...make it stop. I will pay you.

It is almost as mindnumbingly catchy as their Commander Shepard song. Keep em' coming.

don't wanna nag or anything but it's pronounced srebro ee stal. heard srebro y/i stal

Every time I check the escapist I have to listen to this - I think my favourite of the recent songs is Crucible but this one is drawing me back time and time again. Nicely done!

I still haven't played this game....

But after hearing that song and seeing the accompanying video, I really want to now!

Great catchy song, Gav! Plenty of scope for roaring that out in a medieval tavern! :D

Living_Brain:
don't wanna nag or anything but it's pronounced srebro ee stal. heard srebro y/i stal

I think it actually sound better with 'y' it gives it that archaic(ish) feel,fits the tone of the Witcher, don't think there was actually so much research involved. Nobody speaks that way though.

I don't know why, but I always love this kind of music, I guess I'm a sucker for "fun" medieval songs.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here