The Defenestration of Erin Stout

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Andy of Comix Inc:
She deserves it. She's been a likable asshole throughout this whole arc, but the kind of likable asshole who needs a great big giant wake-up call.

I'm gonna call it - she's gonna bang her head on something blunt and her visions will go away. Or, she'll get worse. Like amnesia or something.

Gotta be honest with you, likeable is being way too kind, she has been just a straight up bitch throughout the CM run, good work on part of the authors for making the stories surrounding her actually interesting enough to keep us coming back!

But yeah, she has what Yahtzee described as the "batman effect" of being the least interesting thing in her own world.

Either way this particular cliffhanger can only end well, delusions go away, good for her, alternatively she smashes her head and goes flutterschiavo, an entire comic arc based on Elliot kicks off and THAT I cannot wait for, that guy needs more attention.

Zachary Amaranth:

Mike Fang:
Ho-kay, I don't care where you're from, you don't "help" anyone by shoving them out a window. And if this guy now goes outside and gives Erin some kind of self-righteous, condescending speech meant to take her to task...I hope she belts him again.

This is a comic where a woman, guided by hallucinations, took off her pants to destroy an XBox and then ended up wrestling her friend in a catfight while a guy looked on in enjoyment.

I'm not sure why we're suddenly applying realism here, or how to conduct things.

I mean, hell, even the accident that cause Erin's hallucinations in the first place was treated poorly by her friends and family. And if this were a clinic on head trauma, I'd be pissed off. But it's a webcomic.

And the guy seems like a dick anyway.

Thing is, this particular story arc, they seem to be playing straight. If you look at the guy's behavior and such from the start, it seems less like he's a caricature and more like a "straight man" sort...up until just now. As it is, I admit this is a departure from this comics usual tone up to this particular arc, but that seems to be typical for a lot of web comics; start out as comedic, then over time wind up trying to be serious and 3-dimensional with characters that started out as comedic set pieces.

can't blame the guy...

Kalezian:

Andy of Comix Inc:
She deserves it. She's been a likable asshole throughout this whole arc, but the kind of likable asshole who needs a great big giant wake-up call.

I'm gonna call it - she's gonna bang her head on something blunt and her visions will go away. Or, she'll get worse. Like amnesia or something.

and then it turns out the guy was actually Dolan Master Chief who got tired of her shit.

Or perhaps a bit Tyler Durden-y? Like, she's doing all this to herself? Well I guess if it was a character then that would make sense. But like she falls out and she's like WAIT THIS IS MY APARTMENT. OHH NOOOOES

LGC Pominator:
Gotta be honest with you, likeable is being way too kind, she has been just a straight up bitch throughout the CM run, good work on part of the authors for making the stories surrounding her actually interesting enough to keep us coming back!

But yeah, she has what Yahtzee described as the "batman effect" of being the least interesting thing in her own world.

Either way this particular cliffhanger can only end well, delusions go away, good for her, alternatively she smashes her head and goes flutterschiavo, an entire comic arc based on Elliot kicks off and THAT I cannot wait for, that guy needs more attention.

And I disagree with you. Something about her being a slutty, bitchy, grouchy asshole MAKES her likable. That makes her interesting. She's a manipulative, coy little minx and her exploits keep returning to bite her in the ass. She's severely broken and she's oblivious to that. That makes her likable; she's out of her OWN control. Plus, the whole mental issues with her "visions".

It makes her perplexing and fascinating to watch. Elliot's presence is, presumably, to give the audience someone to associate with while she alienates everyone in her life. I think Erin is a great character, but moving her from Character 1 to Character 2, as in this particular strip so far, has worked really well so far. So yeah. I have now factually proved you wrong. Nyeurgh.

(Nah, I had to share my opinion to counter yours, I don't want to invalidate yours. I'm not on Youtube, geez.)

Wait! neither one of them said "Jesus", so why'd he push her out the window?

Maybe it's a good thing you didn't get laid, Erin, because judging from this comic, the guy has a habit of being premature.

Fasckira:
I doubt its as straight forward as it looks, he wouldn't have been that patient with her only to shove her out a window. It does seem a random change of direction though!

She hits her head and it fixes her delusions.

theultimateend:

Which is obviously not how therapy works, so maybe they'll go in the opposite direction and this "help" causes her to have worse and more hallucinations than ever because Tris is an idiot who thinks additional headtrauma will solve anything.

*sees the comic's song reference*

Skeleon:

theultimateend:

Which is obviously not how therapy works, so maybe they'll go in the opposite direction and this "help" causes her to have worse and more hallucinations than ever because Tris is an idiot who thinks additional headtrauma will solve anything.

Yes, I'm well aware that concussions don't lead to improved psychological health :p. Usually.

It can lead to you becoming a nymphomaniac, though.

theultimateend:
Yes, I'm well aware that concussions don't lead to improved psychological health :p. Usually.

Oh, that bit of ridicule wasn't directed at you, more at the way most comics like to go with the most clichéd, stupid plot-points. It would be nice to see this comic make fun of those plot-points by having Tris actually try that stunt and having it completely backfire because - surprise! - that's not how it works.

All that said, the nymphomania-thing intrigues me.

Skeleon:

theultimateend:

Oh, that bit of ridicule wasn't directed at you, more at the way most comics like to go with the most clichéd, stupid plot-points. It would be nice to see this comic make fun of those plot-points by having Tris actually try that stunt and having it completely backfire because - surprise! - that's not how it works.

All that said, the nymphomania-thing intrigues me.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1028946/?tool=pmcentrez

Hope that helps :). When I was studying psychology it was one of the cases they brought up that intrigued me.

I didn't check to see if this is the exact one but the one we read about was from head trauma that resulted in some brain necrosis [may actually have been a different form of brain damage in retrospect, its been a while for me] and surgery. The person woke up and seemed perfectly fine, could talk clear, remember everything, but they ended up being a pretty unstoppable sex addict.

The story doesn't end happy sadly.

catch hobo catch!

Erin has a few options...

Namely (amongst others...:)

It's just a shame she can only see protagonists...

EDIT:
Saving grace...?

theultimateend:
*snip*

Thanks! Very interesting. Kind of reminds me of that House MD episode, although there the damage was not due to trauma but due to lues. From what I've read, that was "based on a true story" at least. I find it fascinating how much of our mental state, personality, emotions etc. can today be traced back to the actual biological correlates. The more we know, right?

one way to tell her your fling is over..

Here you go:

Because somebody had to!

Props for the vocabulary. Also, $2 on his apartment being on the first floor or summat.

Timberwolf0924:
one way to tell her your fling is over..

I see what you did there.

BX3:
Wait! neither one of them said "Jesus", so why'd he push her out the window?

It was Erin who made the "don't mention Jesus" comment. He said "give me five minutes to help you" and her first thought was "oh lordy, Jesus freak".

Ha ha ha, I don't know about you guys, but this is one of the most original and funniest comics I've read.

"Defenestration" Still the best word in the english language.

I'm lovin this arc keep it up.

GeeksUtopia:
She is still in a coma and she wakes up from it when she hits the floor

I got 5 bucks on this
Also

dunam:
Ha ha ha, I don't know about you guys, but this is one of the most original and funniest comics I've read.

You really mustn't have read many comics.

GeeksUtopia:
She is still in a coma and she wakes up from it when she hits the floor

this

or the impact will stop the hallucinations

Well... I guess she's a seer then...

HALLELUJAH

HALLELUJAH

Woah! Okay, that's funny, although I'm not sure what it says about me, that was funny. But unless there's some kind of reveal next comic...that's an awfully strange dark turn.

rhodo:

dunam:

You really mustn't have read many comics.

It's kinda funny I was originally going to add 'and I've read a lot' but then thought that might be geeky. On-a-video-games-website. 'Oh no, they'll find out I'm a nerd'.

I'm curious though. Why did you say that?

DUDE! That's exactly where I learned it! Does this mean that Escapists watch too many cartoons, or that Josh Keaton hates Critical Miss?

upgray3dd:
I get the impression this would've been funnier if I didn't know what the word "defenestration" meant. Curse you, The Spectacular Spider-man cartoon.

DUDE! That's exactly where I learned it! Does this mean that Escapists watch too many cartoons, or that Josh Keaton hates Critical Miss?

my guess is she hits her head again, lives and is cured. by cured i mean no longer sees video game characters.

So, not only can Erin see video game characters, but she has psychic powers as well?

Yeah, this can't be what it looks like. Why would he put up with everything only to try and kill her now? He wouldn't jump in a fight and stuff to help her if he was going to end up killing her and he's already had plenty of chances to kill her and hasn't. My guess is he's trying to make her feel like she's in danger to make her see how great life is then he's going to pull her back in, or something like that.

Am I the only one who is a bit confused by the dark turn the series has taken as of late?

Mr.Mattress:
So, either he pushes her out the window, or she is falling out the window, and he's about to help her back in...

Either way, I'm curious as to whats gonna happen...

Defenestration typically means "to be thrown out", so I'm leaning more towards it being a deliberate act.

To be honest I've been working under the theory that Erin's new boyfriend is another video game character and all in her head, so she probably staggered into this empty building on her own or was dumped there by those who beat her up.

Originally when I saw him I was thinking it might be Brian Basco from the "Runaway" games using an alias, who is sort of the quintessential male romantic lead, and is kind of based around straightening out (well sort of) a girl with (serious, serious) problems, albiet not quite the kind of problems Erin is dealing with. The hair is however a shade too dark.

That said if I had to take a wild guess, being a comic strip she might be about to fall out the window, whack her head again, and this will correct the problems. This being how this guy is going to "help her", which would make a twisted kind of sense if he was in her head and she just spent an evening talking to an imaginary friend in a bar.

We all know that she's going to fall onto her head and not see the gaming 'good guys' any more.

My prediction: A month from now Erin will be thrown "out of her mind" by her own hallucinations growing tired of putting up with her. :P

Edit:

Therumancer:
That said if I had to take a wild guess, being a comic strip she might be about to fall out the window, whack her head again, and this will correct the problems. This being how this guy is going to "help her", which would make a twisted kind of sense if he was in her head and she just spent an evening talking to an imaginary friend in a bar.

Ahhhhh but that would "fix her", and he most specifically said he wasn't going to do that. :P

This is shaping up to be one of the best web comic storylines I've ever read. Hilarous and unpredictable (haven't read the earlier CM series much).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here