Zero Punctuation: Quantum Conundrum

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Calibanbutcher:
ItÄs a JOKE. He overexaggerated something in order for it to become FUNNY.
If you don''t like the joke, fine, but it's still a joke.

The joke he made, was that it's quite common for PC gamers to display a certain elitism. He chose to convey this by taking a single representative of the PC gaming community, who was not singled out, since he wasn't named, explaining to us, what said individual had done and then calling this representative of all PC-elitists names.

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

well first off, i dont see the need to involve the name of the lordly bearded man.

second, if it was a joke it was certainly dim enough to hide the usual implied ha ha has. i don't think disguising it as a count makes it any less serious. were i to go about and call you or whomever a member of the fokker family, with references to the movie, would you not get the clue? would you actually take it as a joke?

if in fact it was meant to be a joke im sure he would have found some funny way to use the escapist imp to do something funny. when you use globally-recognized offensive words like "count" in a magazine, you know the impact of using that word, so if you use it, you don't joke with it.

that said, if im the only one that was taken aback by this review, then its fine, ill be the only one to suffer from it and all will be good.

So, a few years after DICE tried to shamelessly cash in on Portal's success by creating their own first-person non-shooter with a female protagonist and an end-credits song called "Still Alive" (I swear I am not making that up), the creator of Portal decided to return the favor by inserting that game's worst mechanic into her own Portal ripoff? Yeah, that's really showing 'em, Kim.

And if Yahtzee thinks de Lancie was typecast in this game, he should see what the My Little Pony guys did with him.

Realitycrash:
"I would be honored to be called a ♥♥♥♥ by Yahtzee" - from Steam Forums.

This fucking disturbs me. Seriously, the man is trying to express disgust, but someone already claims that they would feel honored if someone of remote fame would recognize them in a video, even if it is clearly negative?
You know, even if this particular post was ironic, there's already several people flooding the topic and saying "Congratz, you were called a Cunt by Yahtzee", and the sad part is that this person probably WILL feel special and not at all insulted, simply because everyone gives him attention.

Have we forgotten about the internet rule of dealing with trolls?
Never.
Feed.
Them.

So gratz, all of you, you've given the moron exactly what he wanted.

Not his fault other people decided to track down exactly who he was referring to. (And incidentally I have reported those people; if the Escapist has any decency at all they'll permaban them for it. Not cool, guys.) Honestly he might as well have been addressing any one of hundreds of idiots I've had to deal with on the Internet, and it's about time someone with a big voice in gaming circles publicly called them out for it. Bonus points for it coming from the guy who gave the world the phrase "PC Gaming Master Race" in the first place.

That review was largely how I felt about the game, therefore I approve of this review!

trollpwner:
I know! Those evil, evil consoles! Giving games to people who paid less than you! And not letting graphics become an even more crippling burden on developers than they already are! I can't wait until we move onto future generation graphics and get rid of the graphics problem which is obviously the only thing wrong with the entire industry whatsoever. We should push, push, push for graphics at the expense of everthing else, because that's all that make gaming good! Not gameplay, story, aesthetics or stupid crap like that!

As I stated in the very first phrase, my problem was the fact that there are no graphics options. It is my assertion that this game is the result of a lazy port, like Skyrim. I find it ironic that such games are lazy ports to the PC when such games would do better on the PC since they were made with intense graphics by the developers.

I personally find consoles to be a waste of money since most games that appear on consoles appear on PCs and look better and play better (see BF3 as a major example). The fact that console developers aim to make consoles more PC like with multiple usage (I personally think this is a mistake). You can argue that "it is cheaper", but what are you buying? I flashy unmodifiable computer with limited usage. It's like a mac, except even more useless. You can't modify it and if a part fails, you have to ship off the entire thing, not matter how minor this issue is because consoles are not designed to be easily repaired.

I also challenge your assertion that PCs are the cause of shitty gameplay and story. Dead Space 3 money issues are the result of the monkey management at EA where making a buck has become the primary objective. There is nothing wrong with wanting to make money, but you should focus on making a good product, not squeezing IP for all it is worth with DLC and shit. Also, the limits of the consoles control make for massive limitations in gameplay. I hated what happened to The Witcher 2. The inventory was nice and neat in the first game and I could use that mouse to move around and prioritize my attacks. Instead, I have to rely on auto aim and mash the left mouse button until everything dies and my inventory is just a giant list of stuff. Why? Because it was easier to program this on the XBOX360.

Oh, and if you have a lame computer, you can always lower the settings to what they would be on a console.

Steve the Pocket:
So, a few years after DICE tried to shamelessly cash in on Portal's success by creating their own first-person non-shooter with a female protagonist and an end-credits song called "Still Alive" (I swear I am not making that up), the creator of Portal decided to return the favor by inserting that game's worst mechanic into her own Portal ripoff? Yeah, that's really showing 'em, Kim.

And if Yahtzee thinks de Lancie was typecast in this game, he should see what the My Little Pony guys did with him.

Realitycrash:
"I would be honored to be called a ♥♥♥♥ by Yahtzee" - from Steam Forums.

This fucking disturbs me. Seriously, the man is trying to express disgust, but someone already claims that they would feel honored if someone of remote fame would recognize them in a video, even if it is clearly negative?
You know, even if this particular post was ironic, there's already several people flooding the topic and saying "Congratz, you were called a Cunt by Yahtzee", and the sad part is that this person probably WILL feel special and not at all insulted, simply because everyone gives him attention.

Have we forgotten about the internet rule of dealing with trolls?
Never.
Feed.
Them.

So gratz, all of you, you've given the moron exactly what he wanted.

Not his fault other people decided to track down exactly who he was referring to. (And incidentally I have reported those people; if the Escapist has any decency at all they'll permaban them for it. Not cool, guys.) Honestly he might as well have been addressing any one of hundreds of idiots I've had to deal with on the Internet, and it's about time someone with a big voice in gaming circles publicly called them out for it. Bonus points for it coming from the guy who gave the world the phrase "PC Gaming Master Race" in the first place.

Oh, I don't mind what Yahtzee did. He never mentioned any names. I was talking about all the Escapist-users that saw it fit to track the guy down and mock him (which is bad form) and congratulate him (which might be seen as mocking, but will just feed the trolls ego. He managed to troll so hard that he got mentioned in a game-review, afterall.)
Even if he did not aim to troll, he is probably going to see this as a "win".
And true, he might have stumbled upon the review anyway, but people looking him up is just spreading his undeserved fame even further and faster.

Did a font get changed? Because the website looks like ass for me right now.

Ah, a nice return to form for Yahtzee, something I realized when I genuinely laughed out loud at the glory hole analogy and noted that it had been awhile (please don't read that incorrectly). Maybe he started trying to be more of a helpful reviewer as opposed to a skewer who put comedy first. Either way, bravo Croshaw.

I remember watching the review and seeing whoever try to make a jump across some platforms and then utterly failing. My first thought was that I wouldn't like the game because of that gameplay. I'm still unsure whether or not I want to try. It does look fun...

I've kind of liked what I've played of this. But my only gripe is, De Lancie's performance isn't really that good as a mad scientist. Sure his voice is one from the heavens, but his performances as both Discord and Q were much better. I felt he should of expressed himself more.

CrossLOPER:

As I stated in the very first phrase, my problem was the fact that there are no graphics options. It is my assertion that this game is the result of a lazy port, like Skyrim. I find it ironic that such games are lazy ports to the PC when such games would do better on the PC since they were made with intense graphics by the developers.

I personally find consoles to be a waste of money since most games that appear on consoles appear on PCs and look better and play better (see BF3 as a major example). The fact that console developers aim to make consoles more PC like with multiple usage (I personally think this is a mistake). You can argue that "it is cheaper", but what are you buying? I flashy unmodifiable computer with limited usage. It's like a mac, except even more useless. You can't modify it and if a part fails, you have to ship off the entire thing, not matter how minor this issue is because consoles are not designed to be easily repaired.

I also challenge your assertion that PCs are the cause of shitty gameplay and story. Dead Space 3 money issues are the result of the monkey management at EA where making a buck has become the primary objective. There is nothing wrong with wanting to make money, but you should focus on making a good product, not squeezing IP for all it is worth with DLC and shit. Also, the limits of the consoles control make for massive limitations in gameplay. I hated what happened to The Witcher 2. The inventory was nice and neat in the first game and I could use that mouse to move around and prioritize my attacks. Instead, I have to rely on auto aim and mash the left mouse button until everything dies and my inventory is just a giant list of stuff. Why? Because it was easier to program this on the XBOX360.

Oh, and if you have a lame computer, you can always lower the settings to what they would be on a console.

I find all consoles to be a waste of money

I find

I

Oh. So you don't like it? Guess it should be banned.

And while I'm on the subject:

I also challenge your assertion that PCs are the cause of shitty gameplay and story

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Like to show which quote that was? Exactly where I said that P.C.'s cause shitty gameplay and story? Because it's news to me.

Well, this is normally the point I'd put on my serious face and get into your counter-argument but....well, what is it? You're saying that consoles are less than perfect, so you shouldn't buy one? Well, I guess I'd better sell my terrible house and get a mansion, because it's pointless otherwise.

No hang on, I can extract *something* from this twisted, tangled mess. So....you're saying that developers are dumbing down games purely because of the existence of consoles? Seriously? You're saying that developers would only attempt to squeeze IP's and take their originality if they were on console? What, when they develop for P.C., does the morality fairy magically appear and zap them, because they daren't befoul the perfect, beautiful hardware? Ludicrous....

Oh no, wait. It turns out, it's because of the limitations of consoles. Well, hardware limitations are pretty terrible. I remember the PS2 era and previously, where everything sucked because of the very limited processing power. I remember (although I wish I could forget them) the steaming piles of tripe that were Thief 2, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Silent hill 2, etc. Oh, sorry. You were complaining about console controls. In one game. Oh, because the inventory was slightly poorly managed. Because the developer didn't notice that keypads can still allow you to navigate menus just fine.

I mean, this is ridiculous! I mean, seriously. The only advantage to P.C. consoles over console controls is that you can press 5 buttons at once, have 5 different menu tabs open or maintain higher aiming accuracy at all times. And if that ever becomes a core part of your gameplay, you've gone wrong. If a shooter requires you to constantly fix on a target 2 pixels big with pinpoint accuracy, the challenge is simply orientating the reticle, rather than any kind of fun or amusing challenge, and if menus or interface require that kind of constant, frantic input, then you've got a game that's 6 parts micro-management and faffing to one part gameplay. It's just stupid. If you can't get a game to run on a gamepad, you've massively overcomplicated it, and it's going to be a horrible, tangled unintuitive mess to play. (Possible with the exception of RTS's).

So can we please stop this mindless, butthurt, elitist argument that anyone who doesn't own the latest gaming P.C. doesn't deserve to game? I know it's hard when you spend $3000 on a P.C. only to be bitten by the law of diminishing returns, but people have a right to buy inferior hardware if they really want. Besides, if people couldn't buy consoles, they'd just be getting cheap P.C.'s. And a £200 P.C. is far weaker than a console. So, that kinda whacks the whole "consoles shuuurdd be banneed" argument over the head, doesn't it?

Racecarlock:
When yahtzee said he didn't like it I nearly got lockjaw. I guess I'm avoiding this game, then. It looked like the exact thing he would like, too. Then again, yahtzee is the toughest critic in the world, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised. I was not expecting him to hate it though. I mean, wow. The gameplay videos looked so good too.

And this is what's wrong with Yahtzee's fanboys. All it takes is for him to express his disapproval towards a game and every facet of YOUR opinion goes out the window. You're doing the exact thing he blasted against in the Mailbox Showdown. You wait for a simple "Yay" or "Nay" and toss out every bit of free will you have if it conflicts with your ideas.

Mygaffer:

Zero Serenity:
Finally! Somebody else on this planet who absolutely hates motion blur in video games. It's always the first thing I turn off in graphics.

Here here! Motion blur sucks!

Me three!

And don't you get me started on depth of field. I have a nice video card and I want to render things clearly. If I wanted to blur things up, I'd turn the resolution down or take off my glasses. It doesn't matter how many uber res textures a 2+ GB video card can hold if it all gets blurred to hell before it gets to my monitor.

TheKasp:
The only thing I disagree:

Platforming in First Person is not hard. At all. It is as easy as everything else. But maybe this is just my expirience of 12y PC gaming talking.

Yeah, I suspect Yahtzee's brain isn't geared for 3D platforming, or he doesn't care enough to get that good, since he's made the complaint before. There are various tricks you can do in the Portal games that involve it and it comes up sometimes in multiplayer in some FPSs, particularly at high levels of play, and a lot of them have similar tricks that can be done that require 3D platforming or are made easier by it. I pretty much agree about not showing your character's feet, but that shouldn't be the case regardless, and IDK about you guys but I don't look at my feet when I'm walking, and I don't do it in games either (except once in a while when I'm attempting aforementioned tricks).

On the game: I like it quite a lot and several things were already patched (settings and such).

I'd say someone reviewing PC games in this day and age should wait a week to 10 days for any early, important patches.

trollpwner:
Finally! Someone not afraid to call out elitists. Seriously. I like hanging around P.C. forums and tech forums to nerd out over the latest hardware, but the things like wot Mr Croshaw describes in this video really pisses me off.

He already did at least two years ago when he mentioned "dirty console peasants and the glorious PC gaming master race".

General Vagueness:

I'd say someone reviewing PC games in this day and age should wait a week to 10 days for any early, important patches.

On the other hand, it's a valid point. At this day and age they should have had those options right from the start because I actually disliked the missing of them a bum! I mean a lot.

Also, his reason for not waiting for the patch is good too. He has deadlines and a rather strict list of titles he has to get through, he can't just switch around.

Triforceformer:

And this is what's wrong with Yahtzee's fanboys. All it takes is for him to express his disapproval towards a game and every facet of YOUR opinion goes out the window. You're doing the exact thing he blasted against in the Mailbox Showdown. You wait for a simple "Yay" or "Nay" and toss out every bit of free will you have if it conflicts with your ideas.

For the defense of Yahtzees fanboys: I am also one and I preordered this game and liked it a lot. In many cases I take his criticism to heart but never don't buy a game if he dosn't like it, just if I don't like the sum of the negative points raised in his reviews.

Boy it didn't take this thread long to devolve into a flame war over consoles vs PC's did it? In an effort to be satirical but will only end up succeeding in fanning the flames even more, I'm going to point out that the greatest PC game ever made (Recettear: an Item Shop's Tale) could probably be run on a ten year old machine. I'd also like to point the kind of people who agree with the person Yahtzee was insulting at the end of this video to one of the Jimquisition episodes over yonder.

When I saw the title I knew the very first complaint was going to be the jumping sections

Actually you know what, screw it, I'm throwing my two cents in.

How to best enjoy a "hardcore" PC game: Fuck around with the ini. files for an hour until it runs perfectly, alt tabbing occasionally to browse the forums to see if other people have been having the same problems as you and know how to fix it. This tactics as best supported by: the majority of PC gamers (going by what the consensus in this very topic seems to be, at least, that the guy Yahtzee talked about at the end was right and he was a douche for calling his douchebaggery out for what it was.)

How to best enjoy a "hardcore" console game: Put the disc into the console. Play it. As supported by: common fucking sense.

I like most of the games I have on my trusty laptop here, and I'm usually willing to jump through the hoops to get em working, but the very fact I'd need to do that to play a video game is kinda... I dunno, I'd say it speaks for itself, but apparently most "hardcore" PC gamers don't agree with me. Maybe one of them will be able to explain to me why, even though I paid ten bucks for a game (Magicka) it's still my fault for wasting money by expecting a product they were selling to work on my machine. And also the company isn't a bunch of assholes for focusing more on DLC then making sure their game can be played on the majority of possible PCs out there. Seriously, I'd love to see someone out there explain to me how that's not a downside to the whole PC vs Console thing, that the mere act of buying a game and expecting it to fucking work is only a garateed thing for one side of this debate.

Skulltaker101:

MB202:
lol, I like the transition between Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor to Quantum Conundrum! XD It's almost like he was going to give the first game a full review, then switched at the last minute to something else.

Wait, the scientist is voiced by John de Lancie? As in... DISCORD FROM MY LITTLE PONY: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC? I MUST GET THIS GA- Oh wait, first-person platforming? I'll pass.

The week after reviewing a game voiced primarily by Twilight Sparkle, incidentally.

Tara Strong's in everything, not just Friendship is Magic or Lollipop Chainsaw. Although I did leave a Facebook comment saying "Tara Strong, FTW!" Besides, I already knew she was in this game so I didn't feel like commenting on it in the forum.

I've never seen Star Trek: The Next Generation, so his role as Discord is how I know John de Lancie, so I decided to comment on THAT in the forum, since I thought people will instinctively think of Q and, well, I wanted to see if anyone else would think as I did.

I've never had problems with first person platforming. In fact, I sometimes find it a lot easier because there's really no distance issues you have to deal with. It's easier to tell how far away something is. In Yatzee's case, I can't imagine having a slow computer would help the platforming process. Low FPS makes almost doing anything precise impossible. Or at the very least it feels very sluggish. For this reason, I don't really think his "review" gives a clear picture of the actual game's quality. It sucks there are no graphic settings, but I'm guessing almost every complaint he had (null the samey looking environments) would have at least been minimized considerably if he played it on a better computer... or looked up how to edit those ini files. Not that that cunt's not a cunt. He is a cunt.

SimpleReally:
When I saw the title I knew the very first complaint was going to be the jumping sections

yeah me too. I must be a weirdo or something cause i found the 1rst person platforming pretty enjoyable. I don't mind it at all so long as its done well like here.

Also...as much as a enjoy portal, i find that QC uses its handheld science device "better" than the portal gun...at least when portal 2 hit. Like...in portal2 the portals started to feel secondary to the shit you were having go through them like jelly, laser, etc. While in QC the IDS device feels like THE device that drives the puzzles which changes the nature of how anything else in a given room acts.

This IS NOT to say one is better then the other..just an observation about the limits of portals and the limits of different dimensions being a bit different.

I fucking lol'd. This review was bloody amazing! Love it.

Triforceformer:

Racecarlock:
When yahtzee said he didn't like it I nearly got lockjaw. I guess I'm avoiding this game, then. It looked like the exact thing he would like, too. Then again, yahtzee is the toughest critic in the world, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised. I was not expecting him to hate it though. I mean, wow. The gameplay videos looked so good too.

Christ guys I don't actually have the game and I haven't played it yet. And don't tell me how intelligent I am until you've had a debate with me.

If you have ever suffered from vertigo, this game will probably bring that forth due to the first person perspective and the crazy shit you have to do. If I was actually that boy, I can honestly say that I would have said "Fuck this. Im going home". Cause I did several times...

Racecarlock:

Triforceformer:

Racecarlock:

Christ guys I don't actually have the game and I haven't played it yet. And don't tell me how intelligent I am until you've had a debate with me.

2 cents from someone who likes the game and is a Yahtzee fan: He gets everything that is wrong with the game. Like he always does.
Still a great game, especially at that price. It's a fun and colorful puzzle platformer, that has a few faults.
He doesn't do reviews, he critiques games. Don't take this as a review of a game, more as a warning of what could put you of it.

awesome review love it.

Meh the dude post wasnt that bad.

It's true that if your pc can't run this game properly then it most be quite shitty for a primary gaming machine...

MB202:
lol, I like the transition between Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor to Quantum Conundrum! XD It's almost like he was going to give the first game a full review, then switched at the last minute to something else.

Wait, the scientist is voiced by John de Lancie? As in... DISCORD FROM MY LITTLE PONY: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC? I MUST GET THIS GA- Oh wait, first-person platforming? I'll pass.

Ah nertz...ninja'd. I was going to comment that since we had a game where not normal things can happen and there's a character voiced by DeLancie...well, you get the idea.

Too bad that game has issues. It sounds like a sound concept and, best of all, a NEW idea!

Phishfood:
It always bugged me that this was in a guy's house.

I mean, this guy LIVES in a house that can't be navigated without using an alternate dimension to place a safe on a button. Which brings me nicely to point 2....how many god damn safes does one man need?

At least portal was a deliberate rat in a maze scenario.

And then there are the gameplay goofs like the pin precision jumps. I'd also say its a lot less intuitive than portal was. I never had to think WHAT to do in portal, just how. QC had me very confused as to what the aim was in several places.

Well it *is* stated pretty early on in the story that there's malfunctioning matter replicators involved (and I seem to recall a 'Can't have too many coffee tables!' line, as well). Why the complex locks and switches are needed just to get around the house--now *there's* a valid question, which isn't answered by the 'things are broken' excuse.

One thing that does bug me about Yahtzee and his forum-buddy there is that I have a pretty crappy system as far as modern gaming systems go (only dual-core, and a GeForce 9800 GTX+ video card, which is pretty much bottom of the line for 'modern' games), and I had little or no problem with it. Though the way he describes the power lines running--it makes me wonder if it actually *was* a system issue, or if he was running into problems with the Slow-Mo dimension, as there were puzzles *based* around the idea of triggering the switch and racing to the door before the power got there, because it didn't stay open very long.

As far as the platforming...I have mixed agreement there. Yeah, the smaller objects were a pain in the tail (though I think it was even more of a problem controlling them once you got on them, particularly for the various 'flying' routines where you had to feather the reverse-grav on and off), but...not especially impossible.

Oh dear, no graphic settings? No sale. I made this mistake with Magicka a year or so ago, never again.

Roman Monaghan:
Actually you know what, screw it, I'm throwing my two cents in.

How to best enjoy a "hardcore" PC game: Fuck around with the ini. files for an hour until it runs perfectly, alt tabbing occasionally to browse the forums to see if other people have been having the same problems as you and know how to fix it. This tactics as best supported by: the majority of PC gamers (going by what the consensus in this very topic seems to be, at least, that the guy Yahtzee talked about at the end was right and he was a douche for calling his douchebaggery out for what it was.)

How to best enjoy a "hardcore" console game: Put the disc into the console. Play it. As supported by: common fucking sense.

Not really. Try 'Put the disc into the console. Wait for it to install to the hard drive. Wait for it to call home, see if there are patches, and install *those*, while staring at ads for Facebook and social networking sites since for some reason the console won't let you do too much else while letting the game patch in the background, as opposed to how it updates on a PC. Fix dinner and get some sleep while waiting for the patches to finish due to the network being slower than two tin cans and a string. Play the game, and try to rememeber why you wanted to play this in the first place.' Mind you, this is PSN--XBL may provide better results.

I *really* miss the 'Put the disc in and play' days...which is why console-wise I stick with my PS2 and am reluctant to borrow my brother's PS3. :-/

I would just like to point out one TINY thing about the frame-rate thing. Right, I have this game and it's on Alienware, so it works very nicely. My girlfriend, who originally got me the game, received a copy of it from me and her computer is not so advanced. Just your basic home computer with a few niceties, not a GAMING computer. Still runs. Yahtzee, we understand that you don't like other people harping you about computer specs. I, for one, am not nearly a PC gamer because I favor console games more. Even still, the game doesn't require a chugging Nascar engine of a system to run. Not really. Fairly streamlined. Suffice to say, I'm having fun with this game and that's what's important.

trollpwner:

I find all consoles to be a waste of money

I find

I

Oh. So you don't like it? Guess it should be banned.

The actual quote was:

I personally find consoles to be a waste of money since most games that appear on consoles appear on PCs and look better and play better (see BF3 as a major example).

I never said it should be banned; you are free to waste all the money in the world... provided it is yours.

trollpwner:

And while I'm on the subject:

I also challenge your assertion that PCs are the cause of shitty gameplay and story

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Like to show which quote that was? Exactly where I said that P.C.'s cause shitty gameplay and story? Because it's news to me.

I would like to point out that my original argument was that the set single video grade option in consoles was the natural progression of the "consolization" trend that we have been witnessing for the past decade or so, to which you replied:

trollpwner:
I know! Those evil, evil consoles! Giving games to people who paid less than you! And not letting graphics become an even more crippling burden on developers than they already are! I can't wait until we move onto future generation graphics and get rid of the graphics problem which is obviously the only thing wrong with the entire industry whatsoever. We should push, push, push for graphics at the expense of everthing else, because that's all that make gaming good! Not gameplay, story, aesthetics or stupid crap like that!

From this, it was my belief that you took my statement to mean that I thought that the industry should focus on graphics, which if you check my posting history and see all my bitching on the subject, you would know to be untrue. You then appeared to have built the argument that the graphical superiority provided by PCs (a point which you conceded) put "gameplay, story, aesthetics" to the side. Perhaps your sarcasm got in the way of your point while you were mocking a point I never made. You can understand my confusion.

Also, that is why your wikipedia link is amusing to me.

trollpwner:
Well, this is normally the point I'd put on my serious face and get into your counter-argument but....

Maybe you should because you are making more strawmen like this:

trollpwner:
....well, what is it? You're saying that consoles are less than perfect, so you shouldn't buy one? Well, I guess I'd better sell my terrible house and get a mansion, because it's pointless otherwise.

The cost difference between a "terrible house" (arbitrary value of about 100000USD) to a "mansion" (arbitrary value of about 800000USD) is extreme. No reasonable person would make this argument, regardless of the fact that it is invalid because the two purchasing decisions are incomparable. A console costs about 250USD, while a PC with comparable specs would cost about twice as much if we are to trust the falcon guide:

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/the-falcon-computer-build-guide.498772/

We are ignoring peripherals in both cases. However, the latter choice is better in the long run because it can be upgraded as funds become available and the jump from about 250USD to 500-600USD is not so bad as, let's say, a "terrible house" to a "mansion". Also, it is far more useful for everyday (and not so everyday) tasks.

trollpwner:
No hang on, I can extract *something* from this twisted, tangled mess. So....you're saying that developers are dumbing down games purely because of the existence of consoles? Seriously? You're saying that developers would only attempt to squeeze IP's and take their originality if they were on console?

You keep mixing together my separate arguments into one, which makes for fun reading but paints an inaccurate picture of my original statements. My argument was that the analog controller is far more simplified and has limited usage and efficiency when compared to a mouse and keyboard. The other argument was against EA's business practices, which is irrelevant to our main discussion.

trollpwner:
What, when they develop for P.C., does the morality fairy magically appear and zap them, because they daren't befoul the perfect, beautiful hardware? Ludicrous....

No, but it should acknowledge the fact that I have more than eight buttons and two sticks.

trollpwner:
Oh no, wait. It turns out, it's because of the limitations of consoles. Well, hardware limitations are pretty terrible. I remember the PS2 era and previously, where everything sucked because of the very limited processing power. I remember (although I wish I could forget them) the steaming piles of tripe that were Thief 2, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Silent hill 2, etc. Oh, sorry. You were complaining about console controls. In one game. Oh, because the inventory was slightly poorly managed. Because the developer didn't notice that keypads can still allow you to navigate menus just fine.

I liked all those games (I just purchased Silent Hill 3 for the PS2 to see what the hype was about). Thief 2 was a deceptively simple FPS made by a soon to be defunct developer, and when Thief Deadly Shadows was released, the series suffered horribly from the tiny maps broken by endless load zones, which were imposed by the Xbox's limitations. System Shock 2 never made it to the Dreamcast. I shudder to think what they would have done with the ingame user interface if the game was ported to the PC instead of designed for it. It would have turned it into an FPS with paltry RPG elements. Good thing nothing like that ever happe OH FUCK:

http://www.2kgames.com/bioshock/

Go on youtube and look at the gameplay footage for Deus Ex: The Conspiracy. Look upon it and despair.

I bring up Skyrim again. Look at what the inventory system looked like in Morrowind. Look at what it looks like in Skyrim. Look at the mountain of mods that dropped down on day one to fix the damn interface. People looked down on Morrowind's combat system because they claimed it was difficult to use. You could, in fact, choose to stab, slash, or chop and the damage ratio would vary in different weapon types. You needed to maneuver the WASD keys in order to get it right. There was an option added to "use strongest attack, but that would not help you if your skill was too low and you kept making critical misses. What did they do to address this in Oblivion? Press X to hit and keep mashing X until the thing in front of you died. It does not matter if your skill is low, it just does less damage. Even if you HATE Morrowind's combat system, it had far more depth and was more interesting than hitting one button. However, they opened the option to cover it up if it bothered you.

And my problem was not with the navigation in The Witcher 2's inventory, it was the layout. Combat stances were done away with as well, which added a great deal of depth to the combat.

trollpwner:
I mean, this is ridiculous! I mean, seriously. The only advantage to P.C. consoles over console controls is that you can press 5 buttons at once, have 5 different menu tabs open or maintain higher aiming accuracy at all times. And if that ever becomes a core part of your gameplay, you've gone wrong. If a shooter requires you to constantly fix on a target 2 pixels big with pinpoint accuracy, the challenge is simply orientating the reticle, rather than any kind of fun or amusing challenge, and if menus or interface require that kind of constant, frantic input, then you've got a game that's 6 parts micro-management and faffing to one part gameplay. It's just stupid. If you can't get a game to run on a gamepad, you've massively overcomplicated it, and it's going to be a horrible, tangled unintuitive mess to play. (Possible with the exception of RTS's).

If the FPS requires aim-assist, something is wrong. If I can't use a vehicle because the controls don't allow it, something is wrong (see Bad Company 2). Also, good luck playing a game like DoW2 with a controller. Auto-aim, single file inventory, auto prioritization, auto task engagement, velcro chest high walls and all the like take away from gaming.

trollpwner:
So can we please stop this mindless, butthurt, elitist argument that anyone who doesn't own the latest gaming P.C. doesn't deserve to game? I know it's hard when you spend $3000 on a P.C. only to be bitten by the law of diminishing returns, but people have a right to buy inferior hardware if they really want. Besides, if people couldn't buy consoles, they'd just be getting cheap P.C.'s. And a £200 P.C. is far weaker than a console. So, that kinda whacks the whole "consoles shuuurdd be banneed" argument over the head, doesn't it?

I addressed the bulk of this throughout my post. Let me also say this: Custom built 3000USD computers designed for gaming by companies such as Alienware are a TOTAL, COMPLETE, ABSOLUTE waste of money and are for those who are afraid of lego sets.

Presuming that the torches and pitchforks folks even got the right victim here (and I do agree with the posters saying that that kind of stalking should be bannable), am I the only one amused that the person who presented a rational, thought out examination of the post is called 'mindlesspuppet'? ;-)

Again assuming that actually *is* the post Yahtzee is referring to, the puppet's right--it's pretty much the opposite of what Yahtzee was actually complaining about. Bad form, Ben. :-/
And as for the 'He says that anyone with gaming experience should be able to do it, but doesn't actually explain it himself'--makes sense, given anyone who's been around gaming for more than a few years should *also* be able to use this little thing called 'Google' (or something similar) to do the research to find out the information and much much more.
About the only thing I can see to gripe about in what the puppet quoted is the line wondering what you're playing if your system can't meet recent game specs--*that* kind of attitude deserves my library of DOS games dumped on their heads. ;-)

Quantum Conundrum was OK from what I've played. It was just to simple to do. Sure Portal was simple but I had to something stop and go "Boy how do I beat this one" but in Conundrum its just "DERP STACK COUCH THEN THROW SAFE IN FLUFFY ZONE THEN HALFWAY CHANGE IT TO NORMAL SO IT BREAK GLASS!" Which isn't that fun. Your more guranteed to die from this first-person one because its in Unreal Engine 3, a engine which should NEVER be used in jumping games.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here