Guild Wars 2 Beta Preview

Pages PREV 1 2 3

CriticKitten:

Sober Thal:
lol

It's slang for small child. Guild wars is the small child next to WoW.

NOTE: I don't think that's a bad or negative comparison, considering the behemoth that is WoW

You would be the very first person I've ever seen to use the term in that fashion. Congrats, here's your prize:

More seriously, that comparison really doesn't make any sense. You're using the word in an improper way (common use is in describing the art style when it comes to games, not the scale of the game) with improper context, and the tone of your post suggests that you WERE using it in a derogatory manner. So you really should have expected someone to call you on that, honestly.

It's improper cuz I'm the first you've heard the term from, without it meaning just an art style. No need to be passive aggressive about it : P

I forgive you.

Sober Thal:
It's improper cuz I'm the first you've heard the term from, without it meaning just an art style.

No, it's improper because that's quite literally not the proper use of the term. >_>

You used the term in a derogatory manner to try to provoke fans of the game. Then when called on that fact, you just quoted the first sentence of the Wikipedia entry as a feeble defense for your original post. The mistake you made is that you didn't bother to keep reading the rest of that Wikipedia entry (which is sad because it's a very short entry).

Wikipedia:
Chibi is a Japanese slang word meaning "short person" or "small child". The word has gained currency amongst fans of manga and anime. Its meaning is of someone or some animal that is small. It can be translated as "little", but is not used the same way as chiisana (tiny, small, little in Japanese) but rather cute. A prototypical example of the former usage in the original Japanese which brought the term to the attention of Western fans is Chibiusa, a pet name for the diminutive daughter of Sailor Moon formed from Chibi Usagi ("Little Rabbit").

In English-speaking anime and manga fandom (otaku), the term chibi has mostly been conflated with the 'super deformed' style of drawing characters with oversized heads or it can be used to describe child versions of characters.

Chibi style is usually used in depicting scenes which are cute and/or humorous, and it is extremely rare for it to be used for an entire anime series. It is quite popular in manga, however.

To literally translate that for you: the word does not mean "small" in the same sense that you were using it. It's a term that literally means "small person", and worth noting that they mean "small" in the sense of "cuteness", rather than a focus on size. The proper term to use in reference to size rather than style would have been "chiisana", which is the literal Japanese term for "small" in terms of an object's size. "Chibi" is a term that refers ONLY to people or to the style of art in which people are drawn in a child-like manner. Since games are not considered people (they would be considered non-living objects in most languages, and I would think Japanese is one of them), calling a game "chibi" doesn't work unless you're referring to the art style. And that's not what you're doing.

But just to make sure, I've spoken to a friend of mine who speaks some Japanese and he confirmed that the proper term for what you're trying to say is "chiisana", not "chibi". Another way to quickly check is to dump the word "small" into a English-to-Japanese translator. You'll get this: 小さな, which is (unsurprisingly) the written form of "chiisana".

I'd be happy to check with my other friend, too, if you'd like, just to see if anyone who actually speaks the language uses the word like that. But at the moment, it seems that you're very clearly misusing the term. I don't blame you for not knowing, I suppose, since most anime fans probably don't have a clue as to how the term is supposed to be used (sort of like how anime fangirls will misuse "kawaii"). Thus we return to my previous argument, that being: if you're going to insult people with a term, make sure you know what it means.

No need to be passive aggressive about it : P

I forgive you.

Don't worry, I forgive you for your poor attempt at trolling, too. But hey, everyone's wrong sometimes. Next time, try to read the definitions of words properly so that these things don't happen. *patpat* :)

CriticKitten:

Sober Thal:
It's improper cuz I'm the first you've heard the term from, without it meaning just an art style.

No, it's improper because that's quite literally not the proper use of the term. >_>

You used the term in a derogatory manner to try to provoke fans of the game. Then when called on that fact, you just quoted the first sentence of the Wikipedia entry as a feeble defense for your original post. The mistake you made is that you didn't bother to keep reading the rest of that Wikipedia entry (which is sad because it's a very short entry).

Wikipedia:
Chibi is a Japanese slang word meaning "short person" or "small child". The word has gained currency amongst fans of manga and anime. Its meaning is of someone or some animal that is small. It can be translated as "little", but is not used the same way as chiisana (tiny, small, little in Japanese) but rather cute. A prototypical example of the former usage in the original Japanese which brought the term to the attention of Western fans is Chibiusa, a pet name for the diminutive daughter of Sailor Moon formed from Chibi Usagi ("Little Rabbit").

In English-speaking anime and manga fandom (otaku), the term chibi has mostly been conflated with the 'super deformed' style of drawing characters with oversized heads or it can be used to describe child versions of characters.

Chibi style is usually used in depicting scenes which are cute and/or humorous, and it is extremely rare for it to be used for an entire anime series. It is quite popular in manga, however.

To literally translate that for you: the word does not mean "small" in the same sense that you were using it. It's a term that literally means "small person", and worth noting that they mean "small" in the sense of "cuteness", rather than a focus on size. The proper term to use in reference to size rather than style would have been "chiisana", which is the literal Japanese term for "small" in terms of an object's size. "Chibi" is a term that refers ONLY to people or to the style of art in which people are drawn in a child-like manner. Since games are not considered people (they would be considered non-living objects in most languages, and I would think Japanese is one of them), calling a game "chibi" doesn't work unless you're referring to the art style. And that's not what you're doing.

But just to make sure, I've spoken to a friend of mine who speaks some Japanese and he confirmed that the proper term for what you're trying to say is "chiisana", not "chibi". Another way to quickly check is to dump the word "small" into a English-to-Japanese translator. You'll get this: 小さな, which is (unsurprisingly) the written form of "chiisana".

I'd be happy to check with my other friend, too, if you'd like, just to see if anyone who actually speaks the language uses the word like that. But at the moment, it seems that you're very clearly misusing the term. I don't blame you for not knowing, I suppose, since most anime fans probably don't have a clue as to how the term is supposed to be used (sort of like how anime fangirls will misuse "kawaii"). Thus we return to my previous argument, that being: if you're going to insult people with a term, make sure you know what it means.

No need to be passive aggressive about it : P

I forgive you.

Don't worry, I forgive you for your poor attempt at trolling, too. But hey, everyone's wrong sometimes. Next time, try to read the definitions of words properly so that these things don't happen. *patpat* :)

It's sad you have to call me names. I pity you now.

You obviously think differently, no need to attack me for it. Don't be a bully.

I don't like what I saw of Guild Wars 2. It looks like WoW, cuz that's what it is. It's still a WoW like game. It isn't as big as WoW, it's the next step down in terms of popularity.

Stop being rude cuz someone on the internet posted something you didn't like.

Chibi Trunks isn't happy.

Sober Thal:
-insert trolling here-

Face it, you got caught, and you didn't get the reaction you were hoping for. Besides me, no one even acknowledged that you exist in this thread, and I only acknowledged you to let you know that you can't speak Japanese just because you've watched a few anime. No one's bothered by you, and no one cares what you think about this game. I've received more discussion and replies than you because I took the time to (gasp) play the game and come up with my likes and dislikes from that. No one replied to you because, really, no one cares about the opinions of a guy who never played the game. They want to hear from folks who DID play the game what they think.

Mind, I'll happily have a discussion with folks who dislike the game for Reasons X/Y/Z. Hell, I've even said myself that I acknowledge the game's flaws (skill tiering, weapon unlocks taking too long, a heavy grind focus, RABID fans who refuse to cooperate with even minor tweaks, etc) far more than any typical fan of the game would, so I could have a very good discussion with someone who took the time to educate themselves on the game. But I'm not all that flustered by someone who has never played the game jumping merrily onto the anti-GW2 bandwagon without a good reason.

This will probably be the last time I recognize one of your replies since it seems the discussion is growing less intelligent with each new post. The entire thing can be summed up thus: I like the game, and you don't, and that's fine. I know how the word "chibi" is supposed to be used, and you don't, and you throw tissy fits when people point this out to you.

There's really nothing else we can discuss along this line, unless of course you have actual reasons behind your dislike of the game that prove "it's just like WoW". I'd really love to hear those reasons, but I don't expect you to actually have any. I doubt you've thought your argument out past the "just like WoW" defense, but I'd love to see you prove me wrong.

Assuming you can't, however, next time you feel the urge to pick on folks for simply having different tastes than you....let it go. Mkay?

EDIT: On second thought, naw, the captcha bit at the end was just salt on a wound. I'll spare you that.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here