Our Little Pony

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

tehweave:
I wanna say that never happens, but... I've never been to a con dressed as a brony. (Yes, I am still in the 'brony' closet. Eventually, I'll tell my friends about it. Hopefully they'll be supportive.)

Scrustle:
I had no idea this kind of thing happened. Seems like the reverse of the whole fake gamer girl phenomenon.

Tony2077:
this is why i may like the series but i don't ever plan to go to a con

Ohlookit'sMatty:
What are you guys smoking? I really hope that this sort of thing doesn't go on at pony cons

canadamus_prime:
Wow, I'm glad I'm not a brony and I don't attend conventions. Also double standard much.

It's not about bronies at all.

The article the description links to is written by a guy complaining that some girls go to conventions "just to get attention". So the comic is making a point that questioning someone's right to be at a convention on the basis of their gender is stupid, by reversing the genders for comic effect. (The three women act like bad stereotypes of chauvinistic men. One of them is even smoking a cigar, which is seen as a very male trait.)

The comic isn't suggesting that bronies experience undue hostility (or sexually harassment) at conventions. It's suggesting that women do. Which is a debate best left at arm's length! (And behind a flame shield.)

-Drifter-:

Torrasque:
In fact, where can I find attractive girls cosplaying well? I'd pay to see that.

Could post more, but of the ones I've seen these two are the best (in my humble opinion, that is.)

Do you accept payment in cookies or internets?

Funnily enough that has happened to me, while ice skating some girl came up and slapped my ass.

Hazy992:
Did anyone actually read the text underneath the comic? It pretty much spells the point out for you; that this shit happens all the time to women, where women geeks and gamers for some inexplicable reason have to 'prove themselves' that they're not just posers. It's bullshit, pathetic misogynist crap.

Also no Rarity?

Thanks Hazy. I legit did not understand what was going on.

Risingblade:
This is a bad thing? Seems pretty awesome to me...

Tell me about it.
I had no idea this sort of thing went on at brony cons.

Seriously, I'm appalled by how many people completely missed the point of this comic. I'm not one to judge other people's IQ, but....

Anyway, to every male here who claims being sexually harassed by women would be awesome: you must understand that sexual harassment is NOT receiving proposals from hot and intelligent chicks. Sexual harassement is more like a 250 pounds mentally unsound Misery that forces her sexual advances on you, and you're too weak to show her off.
Got the point? This is what sexual harassment is like for us women, and this is why we don't like it.

The only fault of this comic is that the women there are actually cute and funny.

uhohimdead:

WhiteTigerShiro:
If "bronies" actually got treated that way, every guy in the world would pretend to be into My Little Pony.

pretend to be into something just to get subjected to sexual harassment? i doubt that highly

it's not fun for either gender

I enjoy being targeted for overt sexual advances from people. It's fun.

Clearing the Eye:

Spoken like a true male who's never had to endure any sexual harassment whatsoever.

rhodo:

Clearing the Eye:

Spoken like a true male who's never had to endure any sexual harassment whatsoever.

lolol

"Man? You wouldn't understand."

Sexism is fucking awesome, yo.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go do awesome man stuff. If you're a women, you wouldn't get it. Right? ;D

Notsomuch:
Females costume in skimpy and provocative clothing largely because many characters and their state of dress are largely a product of a media centered around the perceived wants and desires of males aged 16-32. It includes not all, but a majority and certainly a vast majority of mainstream female character favorites which would fall under the radar of casual fans looking for someone to dress up as, while not necessarily knowing everything about the subject matter. The condemnation of 'poser' women is misdirected and should be aimed at the culture which puts characters in that state of dress and thrusts them into the limelight. However, many of the self proclaimed nerds who criticize these women are also the ones most likely to wish to preserve the current Video-Gaming culture that allows for such an environment and hold an exclusionist view towards women, concerning their own communities.

Sadly the past has shown that even the slight attempt to criticise this state of the industry (and to a large part also of the gaming community) is met with unreasonable hostility towards the speaker. In one case the community of a certain genre (fighting games) went to the point of proclaiming that sexism and racism on itself are an essential part of gaming culture and communities which lack in this kind of behaviour were used as an example of a bad community. And this was just because one commentator asked if (after ongoing harassment of a female team member) all this hostlity towards females was necessary...

Also, I really like your post (but that would've been to short).

Clearing the Eye:

rhodo:

Clearing the Eye:

lolol

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go do awesome man stuff. If you're a women, you wouldn't get it. Right? ;D

As I said: yes, you don't get it.

Males don't even have a perception of sexual harassment. It's hard for them to imagine being the victim.
Let's see here... males are culturally and physically the "strong" of the two sexes; there's a general conception that males can't be raped since they can't lose their virginity or end up pregnant; 90% of the times women don't sexually harass people (I'm not talking of flirting or advances. I'm talking of HARASSMENT).

You try being a tiny woman, and if you're alone taking a train in a city, there's a 50% chance that some suspicious weirdo will come up and try to hit on you. It ends up making you scared, trust me.
No, you have no idea what it feels like. As I said, we don't live in a society where a big towering and possibly quite ugly woman, with an air of mental unstability to her, suddenly grabs the ass of a guy.

rhodo:

guy.

I agree mostly, except for one thing... Men can't lost there virginity.... Wut. Virginity isn't a gender exclusive thing, I'm pretty sure that if a boy is sexually assaulted by an adult they're losing their virginity.

Moonlight Butterfly:
I'm sure there are women who exploit male geek attention to promote their modelling career. There are obvious cases like some women who were at the con to promote their salon by only wearing superhero body paint and tiny patches covering their naughty bits (They had no interest in comics by their own admission) and they complained about being ejected from the con.

BUT

there is NO WAY to separate regular cosplayers from ''geeky people'' without it turning into some sort of fascist regime and futher promoting the idea that women aren't playing video games when we are. Female cosplayers should be left alone.

It annoys the crap out of me when someone sexily roleplays a character like an underwear model that I personally see to be a tough badass but I would never think of questioning that persons 'geek cred.' If they have put the time and effort into the cosplay then they must at least care about the game on some level.

Booth Babes are totally a different matter the industry needs to get rid of them to stop promoting this boys club mentality. I know you guys like them but they personally seriously make me feel uncomfortable and unwelcome (like I'm sure some oiled hunky guy in a speedo handing out flyers would make some of you guys feel). There's nothing like being reminded you aren't the main demographic in the most skeevy way possible.

Well said.

Although I have never been to a 'Con', I'd actually dislike the presence of booth babes just as much. It's insulting to the guys, for suggesting they really are that shallow (although sadly, so many of them are), it's insulting to the girls as it implies skimpy costumes matter more than any actual interest in the convention itself, and it's insulting to the industry for implying that sex and sexuality has an important role to play in this kind of place.

rhodo:

Clearing the Eye:

rhodo:

lolol

As I said: yes, you don't get it.

Males don't even have a perception of sexual harassment. It's hard for them to imagine being the victim.
Let's see here... males are culturally and physically the "strong" of the two sexes; there's a general conception that males can't be raped since they can't lose their virginity or end up pregnant; 90% of the times women don't sexually harass people (I'm not talking of flirting or advances. I'm talking of HARASSMENT).

You try being a tiny woman, and if you're alone taking a train in a city, there's a 50% chance that some suspicious weirdo will come up and try to hit on you. It ends up making you scared, trust me.
No, you have no idea what it feels like. As I said, we don't live in a society where a big towering and possibly quite ugly woman, with an air of mental unstability to her, suddenly grabs the ass of a guy.

Okay... Let's see here.

A) "There's a general conception that males can't be raped since they can't lose their virginity or end up pregnant."

Conception: creation of an idea or thing; becoming pregnant; the beginning of something.

Men can't lose their virginity or get pregnant. I um... I'm not... I don't... Moving right along.

B) "90% of the times women don't sexually harass people."

Cool number. I can pull stuff out of my ass, too! Did you know 96.76% of Australians earn ten million dollars a year? Amazing, huh. Proof? Who needs proof. You can just say a number, right?

C) "You try being a tiny woman, and if you're alone taking a train in a city, there's a 50% chance that some suspicious weirdo will come up and try to hit on you"

I am small. I am thin. In fact, I'm exceedingly weak. I defy you to find a person that can't beat me up. Also, again with the random numbers. Nice. Too bad it means dick all.

D) "No, you have no idea what it feels like. As I said, we don't live in a society where a big towering and possibly quite ugly woman, with an air of mental unstability to her, suddenly grabs the ass of a guy."

Because only massive, ugly men harass women, right? If the guy is attractive it's not harassment. Like, if a cute girl hits on a guy despite him not liking it, it's cool. I mean, you did argue that, right? Fail. Try again.

I've been harassed by what I consider an exceptionally unattractive man. It was fun, then tiresome, then annoying. But mostly fun.

So, um, sorry about your argument there. Didn't mean to tear it all down and set it on fire. Good luck coming up with some more nonsense.

Guys, I know many people have already pointed it out, but allow me to make two key points.

1) This does not actually happen

As mentioned, the convention scene in general is overwhelmingly male, and not many teen/adult women like MLP:FiM.

If you want to understand why, imagine if someone made a really good remake of Thomas the Tank Engine with good characters and strong messages. You would still not go around with a Thomas the Tank Engine shirt on because you used to like that shit when you were five. You aren't going to look like you're being ironic, you aren't going to break people's preconceptions about what is and isn't acceptable viewing material. People will just assume you have learning difficulties.

2) Read the link

The link is actually the subject of the joke, and should provide the necessary context.

The point is: How fucking insecure do you have to be to simply assume that anyone of the opposite sex and of sufficient attractiveness who would want to lower themselves to your level might be a parasite looking for attention? That they somehow have to "prove" their genuine interest to you in order to attend the same places? That somehow it's all their fault that your culture treats them like sex objects rather than the people who actually treat them like sex objects, the corporations who exploit them to sell stuff to geeks (or, god forbid, neurotics working out their thwarted heterosexuality in articles on CNN). That they can't possibly be getting anything out of it beyond filling an empty desire for the "wrong sort" of attention.

Sorry, but if you ever want to come across as the most pathetic, thwarted, passive-aggressive little manshit, write a 1000+ word article about how you definately don't desire women's breasts and how much you hate women who flap them around where you cans see them because you're absolutely not attracted to them. Not at all. Absolutely not. The mere thought is unthinkable!

ToastiestZombie:

rhodo:

guy.

I agree mostly, except for one thing... Men can't lost there virginity.... Wut. Virginity isn't a gender exclusive thing, I'm pretty sure that if a boy is sexually assaulted by an adult they're losing their virginity.

Eh, if we were to talk from a strictly biological point of view, then yes - women have an actual, physical virginity to lose; men don't.

In answer to the other guy, I'll repeat everything he wrote.

A) "There's a general conception that males can't be raped since they can't lose their virginity or end up pregnant."

Conception: creation of an idea or thing; becoming pregnant; the beginning of something.

Men can't lose their virginity or get pregnant. I um... I'm not... I don't... Moving right along.

Yes, me too. I don't understand what the heck you were trying to say here. Looks like you weren't able to say anything at all.
Were you trying to say that my point has no value because I used the word "conception"? Or are you trying to say that men can become pregnant?

B) "90% of the times women don't sexually harass people."

Cool number. I can pull stuff out of my ass, too! Did you know 96.76% of Australians earn ten million dollars a year? Amazing, huh. Proof? Who needs proof. You can just say a number, right?

Oh, you're right. We see news of women sexually harassing men everyday. In fact, I can't walk in a city without ever stumbling in a situation where a woman harasses a man. It's become such a plague that we need to talk a lot about the issue of women harassing poor men. Oh, and this is why there are so many, many movies which depict the standard situation of a woman sexually harassing a man. You're right.

C) "You try being a tiny woman, and if you're alone taking a train in a city, there's a 50% chance that some suspicious weirdo will come up and try to hit on you"

I am small. I am thin. In fact, I'm exceedingly weak. I defy you to find a person that can't beat me up. Also, again with the random numbers. Nice. Too bad it means dick all.

It's not a random number. It's me. It's what I have to endure. I'm not even such a stunningly gorgeous woman. But I'm tiny, I'm not hideous, and I give the impression of being shy. Easy prey.
You don't know how it feels.

Even if you are a small weak man who looks average, hello. Women don't have the habit of harassing men on the street. I repeat, I'm talking harassment, not hitting on.
And you know what? Gay men don't harass other men either, most of the times. They already have enough troubles as it is.

D) "No, you have no idea what it feels like. As I said, we don't live in a society where a big towering and possibly quite ugly woman, with an air of mental unstability to her, suddenly grabs the ass of a guy."

Because only massive, ugly men harass women, right? If the guy is attractive it's not harassment. Like, if a cute girl hits on a guy despite him not liking it, it's cool. I mean, you did argue that, right? Fail. Try again.

I've been harassed by what I consider an exceptionally unattractive man. It was fun, then tiresome, then annoying. But mostly fun.

Look, I really wish I'd get harassed by a sexy hunk that had smarts and charms. But you know? People like that are both too intelligent and too attractive to harass girls on the street.

I repeat it one last time: do NOT confuse sexual harassment with flirting. Because this is definitely what you are doing right now.

trollpwner:

ZippyDSMlee:
I want girls to hit on me like that ;_;

A-ha! I now know your IRL name! Nyuh-nyuh-nyuh-nyuh!

OT: Having thought about it, I think that making generalizations about anything in the sexism debate is playing with fire. Sexism should be tackled on an individual basis, or you're just going to piss people off.

CAPTCHA: Geronimo.

Indeed.

Say it 3 times in the mirror for surprise butt secks!

rhodo:
Eh, if we were to talk from a strictly biological point of view, then yes - women have an actual, physical virginity to lose; men don't.

Virginity: the quality or state of being virgin; a person who has not had sexual intercourse.

Sorry, what? Something about men not having a virginity to lose? I didn't quite catch it over my laughter. What's that? A physical virginity? Nah. Of course you don't mean that--that's silly and makes no sense at all. Maybe you meant to say hymen? It's okay. You can name the naughty parts.

A) Hymen does not equal virginity; hymens stretch and tear throughout childhood and adolescence. It's quite normal for a woman to significantly alter her hymen before she even begins penetrative masturbation.

B) Hymens do not go away upon sexual activity (at most they are reduced in size) and most women have them until they give birth, when the extreme stretching of the vaginal canal combines with the actual infant making it's way out.

C) There is no C. I just wanted to laugh again at the idea of it being impossible for men to lose their virginity.

You've still yet to prove to me how one cannot enjoy harassment. You're welcome to keep trying. I'll even let you make up some more numbers.

ZippyDSMlee:

trollpwner:

ZippyDSMlee:
I want girls to hit on me like that ;_;

A-ha! I now know your IRL name! Nyuh-nyuh-nyuh-nyuh!

OT: Having thought about it, I think that making generalizations about anything in the sexism debate is playing with fire. Sexism should be tackled on an individual basis, or you're just going to piss people off.

CAPTCHA: Geronimo.

Indeed.

Tell me your name and let's do this shit! Bad choice of word? >_>

evilthecat:

If you want to understand why, imagine if someone made a really good remake of Thomas the Tank Engine with good characters and strong messages. You would still not go around with a Thomas the Tank Engine shirt on because you used to like that shit when you were five. You aren't going to look like you're being ironic, you aren't going to break people's preconceptions about what is and isn't acceptable viewing material. People will just assume you have learning difficulties.

A few decades ago, the same could have been said about pretty much every geeky subject, from comic books to fantasy RPGs, that were all seen as childish things that only manchildren with learning difficulties would care about.

And now the cinemas are full of superhero movies, even many TV shows are in the sci-fi or fantasy genres, and the Video Game industry is even larger than Hollywood.

Trends change. Prejudices pass.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:

He didn't ASSUME anything. He said he had no problem with people who actually liked nerd culture, no matter what gender they are or what they look like. His problem was solely with the ones who DO pretend to like nerd culture just for the attention. If a person doesn't already fit that description, then he's not talking about them. It's that simple. No assumptions were made.

Exactly.

If said people are 'allowed' to behave in such a way, then the guy who wrote the article is 'allowed' to feel however he wants about them. Condemning him for having an opinion you don't agree with while defending the 'rights' of those folks is kind of hypocritical...which you're also 'allowed' to do. Funny how these things work themselves out, eh?

As for the comic... RD's hot and the concept was good but poorly executed particularly because they tried to make it relate specifically to that article...apparently without adequately looking it over.

Also, I'm seeing a lot of the words "imply" and "implied", without any understanding being shown that implications are usually based on the perception of the one taking in the information. They can be put there intentionally, with all the subtlety of a nuclear blast, but those too are reliant on the perception of the person reading/viewing them.

I personally don't see sexist implications in the "6 of 9" crap. I see a guy insulting those particular women based on their looks. If he were referring to men with the same statement then I highly doubt the S word would have reared its ugly head.

That's not sexist. It's being a jerk, but it's not sexist. Not sure where some of you folks are getting these ideas...which are based on perception...just like mine are! :D God I'm tired.

rhodo:

Look, I really wish I'd get harassed by a sexy hunk that had smarts and charms. But you know? People like that are both too intelligent and too attractive to harass girls on the street.

How you doing?

In seriousness though I think you have this bang on, except for one major factor, which is novelty. One creepy and inappropriate advance from someone who can physically intimidate you is still an ego boost. Several thousand creepy and inappropriate advances is (I imagine) somewhat less fun. That's why even if the girls here were intimidating and unattractive it still wouldn't seem so bad to a guy.

LostGryphon:

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:

He didn't ASSUME anything. He said he had no problem with people who actually liked nerd culture, no matter what gender they are or what they look like. His problem was solely with the ones who DO pretend to like nerd culture just for the attention. If a person doesn't already fit that description, then he's not talking about them. It's that simple. No assumptions were made.

Exactly.

If said people are 'allowed' to behave in such a way, then the guy who wrote the article is 'allowed' to feel however he wants about them. Condemning him for having an opinion you don't agree with while defending the 'rights' of those folks is kind of hypocritical...which you're also 'allowed' to do. Funny how these things work themselves out, eh?

As for the comic... RD's hot and the concept was good but poorly executed particularly because they tried to make it relate specifically to that article...apparently without adequately looking it over.

Also, I'm seeing a lot of the words "imply" and "implied", without any understanding being shown that implications are usually based on the perception of the one taking in the information. They can be put there intentionally, with all the subtlety of a nuclear blast, but those too are reliant on the perception of the person reading/viewing them.

I personally don't see sexist implications in the "6 of 9" crap. I see a guy insulting those particular women based on their looks. If he were referring to men with the same statement then I highly doubt the S word would have reared its ugly head.

That's not sexist. It's being a jerk, but it's not sexist. Not sure where some of you folks are getting these ideas...which are based on perception...just like mine are! :D God I'm tired.

I... I love you. Marry me?

But seriously, I agree with you. A lot. In the rush to cash in on public image, people have turned sexism into simply commenting on a woman. "She's got a nice ass." Sexist! "Tracy is totally a whore." Sexist pig! "Look at that chick. She's wearing a skirt like that just to get men." She can dress how she likes, sexist!

I miss the days when there were real feminists and not these... pretenders, with their overzealous political correctness. You know, when people were fighting to have people treated equally? Not to have one gender held on a pedestal and wrapped in bubble wrap. It's okay to say something negative that happens to be about a woman, guys. You can diss men and you can diss women. That's how equality works.

I'll be glad when this little fad dies and people stop crying victim every time a pair of double D's is shown. Being bi and male myself, maybe I should ogle some hunky space marine and cry sexism when ninety percent of men are shown masculine, tanned, toned, aloof and charming. Just kidding. Who would get offended by fantasy?

Clearing the Eye:
You've still yet to prove to me how one cannot enjoy harassment. You're welcome to keep trying. I'll even let you make up some more numbers.

Sorry, but if you're "enjoying" harassment it's not harassment. The definition of harassment involves consent.

As everything you have said makes it abundantly clear, you don't fear sexual violence. Perhaps you believe, most-likely correctly, that if someone were to grab you or touch you inappropriately and you told them to get off they actually would, that you could not be physically threatened or coerced. Perhaps you also can't imagine anyone "sexually harassing" you would do anything which you would actually find painful or humiliating. What I think Rhodo has been meaning to say is that, to a large extent, you only have the luxury of believing these things because you are a man. That is not to say that every man has that luxury, many men have experienced sexual assault or otherwise understand that it can happen to them. Some men have learned to fear it. Ask men in prison whether they "enjoy" aggressive sexual advances, and you will probably get a different range of answers to those present in the general male population.

Regardless, you don't seem to fear these things. Fair enough. You shouldn't have to. But that doesn't mean that noone else does or that noone else has the right to. I don't know a single woman who has not, at one point in her life, been in genuine fear of encountering sexual violence.

It's no good talking about possibilities and theoretical examples, the sad fact is that some degree of sexual aggression is considered normal amongst men. Women still live in routine fear of sexual violence from men who view sexual aggression as normal behaviour, and the fact that that you can only imagine sexual aggression as something you would find enjoyable speaks of a certain privilege on your part which stems directly from being male. While I hope you never encounter evidence to the contrary, you could at least be open to admitting that not everyone is positioned to "enjoy" aggressive sexual advances.

rhodo:

I repeat it one last time: do NOT confuse sexual harassment with flirting. Because this is definitely what you are doing right now.

Sorry, just gonna cut into this potential internet argument for a second - 'Sexy hunk that had smarts and charms won't harass girls in the street?' Seriously? That's... that's not a thing. Sexual harassment isn't something that ugly idiots do exclusively. Attractive people do sexual harassment a fair bit too, surprisingly - hell, I've known a few people (both men and women, shockingly enough) who've pushed what they've honestly thought was flirting into the sexual harassment territory by being a little too aggressive/demanding/oblivious in their actions. And these people aren't unattractive either - they've just made people uncomfortable with constant sexual advancements (no inappropriate touching, as far as I know) which constitutes as sexual harassment (one type of sexual harassment anyway, but it still has the same affect of making the target person feeling unwelcome and uncomfortable).

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled internet argument. Shanicus, away!

PS OP - Nice comic, the Rainbow Dash looks cool, but Sexual Harassment Fluttershy sounds... scary. I know it's already a thing in fan-base, but still... scary.

I do not at all want to suggest that this sort of behavior is acceptable from attractive people, that it's OK coming from sexual harassment Fluttershy but not...
For all the guys who say they wouldn't mind this, replace the ponies with big beefy gay dudes who work out a lot, but keep all the text. Now how do you feel about it?
That is more to the point. Although the point really is that brony 2012 will NEVER get to relate on an equal level, only as dat magic ass, but that's just way too tough.

evilthecat:

Clearing the Eye:

Sorry, but if you're "enjoying" harassment it's not harassment. The definition of harassment involves consent.

As everything you have said makes it abundantly clear, you don't fear sexual violence. Perhaps you believe, most-likely correctly, that if someone were to grab you or touch you inappropriately and you told them to get off they actually would, that you could not be physically threatened or coerced. Perhaps you also can't imagine anyone "sexually harassing" you would do anything which you would actually find painful or humiliating. What I think Rhodo has been meaning to say is that you only have the luxury of believing these things because you are a man. That is not to say that every man has that luxury, many men have experienced sexual assault or otherwise understand that it can happen to them. Some men have learned to fear it. Ask men in prison whether they "enjoy" aggressive sexual advances, and you will probably get a different range of answers to those present in the general male population.

Regardless, you don't seem to fear these things. Fair enough. You shouldn't have to. But that doesn't mean that noone else does or that noone else has the right to. I don't know a single woman who has not, at one point in her life, been in genuine fear of encountering sexual violence.

It's no good talking about possibilities and theoretical examples, the sad fact is that some degree of sexual aggression is considered normal amongst men. Women still live in routine fear of sexual violence from men who view sexual aggression as normal behaviour, and the fact that that you can only imagine sexual violence as something you would find enjoyable speaks of a certain privilege on your part which stems directly from being male. I while I hope you never encounter evidence to the contrary, you could at least be open to admitting that not everyone is positioned to "enjoy" aggressive sexual advances.

I never said people cannot dislike being harassed. Perhaps you didn't read the conversation before jumping in, but the entire debate hangs on Rhodo's inability to accept that one could enjoy nonreciprocating attention. I said that I have enjoyed such harassment and Rhodo decided I was incorrect (lol). The entire argument exists in their head. I've not once said it's impossible for people to suffer greatly from these things, and I've never argued that women do or don't cop it more. I stated how I felt, was attacked and proceed to point out the numerous errors in their logic and wording. Hell, they actually said "men cannot be raped because they can't lose their virginity or get pregnant." Then went on to say they meant "psychical virginity" seemingly afraid of saying hymen. As anyone who's completed highschool biology can tell you, a woman's hymen means nothing of her virginity.

Also, you can enjoy harassment. You can also enjoy pain, humiliation, degradation, discomfort and torture. That the word implies consent is superseded by the definition of other mindsets--those that enjoy what they don't enjoy. See: masochism for the most obvious example. Basically, you can think it hurts a lot to put your hand on the stove. But you can also want to do it again. Wanting more of it doesn't mean the pain isn't there.

SecondPrize:
I do not at all want to suggest that this sort of behavior is acceptable from attractive people, that it's OK coming from sexual harassment Fluttershy but not...
For all the guys who say they wouldn't mind this, replace the ponies with big beefy gay dudes who work out a lot, but keep all the text. Now how do you feel about it?
That is more to the point. Although the point really is that brony 2012 will NEVER get to relate on an equal level, only as dat magic ass, but that's just way too tough.

Big beefy gay guy? Fuck yes. Sign me up for hot gay guys drooling all over me XD

ZippyDSMlee:

Surprise butt secks, you say?

rhodo:
snip

Are you trying to say men can't be sexually harassed? Because it's happened to me and it's not fun. It's also quite embarrassing because people have the attitude where it's just not something that happens to men so when it does happen to you you get openly mocked as well.

So you claim to be a fan of a show about love and tolerance, and then you perform intolerance acts based on baseless assumptions, sexism and extremist fanboyism?

Gee, wonder why people despise the MLP fanbase so much

The number of posters who find the sexual attitude of the 12 year old male Xbox player attractive in females is hilarious and pathetic.

kurupt87:
The number of posters who find the sexual attitude of the 12 year old male Xbox player attractive in females is hilarious and pathetic.

it's all fun and fantasies until you are tied to a chair in a dark basement for 3 days

I'm so glad that geek culture as a whole is able to put down the now overdone topic of females and their implications and move on to something else.
Oh wait.

Clearing the Eye:
snip

Look, I think I see the wavelength you're on now, but that doesn't make it any better, and while I don't agree with much of Rhoda's argument (although it's clear that the virginity thing referred to how people "see" virginity rather than what actually happens) I was pointing out that one particular bit of it is kind of true.

I'll be the first to own up that sometimes experiencing coercion or pain or being pushed to the limits of what you actually want can be incredibly hot sometimes. That doesn't make it sexual harassment. Consent doesn't change its definition or become less important in BDSM practices, it becomes more important, because otherwise there is no guarantee that you're not just abusing or assaulting someone - and the law will certainly see it as such if they ever come forward.

Guys who hurt, insult, grope at or behave aggressively towards people on the assumption that "they enjoy what they don't enjoy" when there is absolutely no evidence that they do are committing sexual harassment. People whose partners trust them enough to willingly place some measure of responsibility in their hands, who are allowed the ability to hurt, insult, grope at or behave aggressively towards their partners as part of a negotiated and mutually supported exchange of power are not committing sexual harassment. It is an insult to the latter group to pretend that these two things are the same.

There is overlap, there are a lot of guys who use BDSM practices to basically act like jerks and misogynists, who believe that all women are natural submissives who can be sent into knee-trembling orgasm by the sight of a particularly impressive dom-scowl and who generally react very badly when the real world fails to live up to their badly-written Gor fanfiction, but generally it's still pretty obvious where the line is.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here