Jimquisition: Anita Sarkeesian - The Monster Gamers Created

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 20 NEXT

Devoneaux:

Because a few comments is indicative of the entire internet. Right, forgot that this was The Escapist and thoughtless generalizations are common fare here. -_-

Considering you actually quoted me you may want to re-read what I said.

Dabbling with XBL myself, I can say Bob was being generous in his view of the more unseemly crowd gaming has to offer.

Saying that gaming has a bad crowd doesn't mean gaming is a bad crowd.

Oh. That lady.
Yeah, she seems about as legit as x-ray goggles. But that's not the reason she had all the internet's bile thrown at her, the reason is that she called stuff out on sexism (it is irrelevant whether rightly or not) and the internet is stuffed with dementedly misogynistic twats.
And now fucking Jim Sterling goes and says stuff.
Thank fuck for him, I guess.

Magog1:

I could take that the wrong way, I could have a short temper and go "Your gay bi%tch shut up." but unless she's considerably worse in her other videos I don't see a real problem.

I'd suggest watching her other videos, as they are significantly worse. Especially the one about Bayonetta.(You won't even find that one on her channel because she deleted it due to it being unpopular with her own audience :S ) Her video on Kanye West's Monster was just as bad. She starts off by admitting to not getting through the video and then proceeds to bash it using very little logic along with misconceptions of black culture.

What she's mainly guilty for is not doing any research or looking into context when judging something.

Magog1:

LostintheWick:

I would argue that games are already crippled when it comes to recognition as a legitimate art form. Not because many games lack "political correctness" but because of WHY they lack it. Games don't have ridiculous bouncing boobs and skimpy outfits because they are trying to convey anything meaningful, they are in the games because they pander to the masses that buy those games. It's a decision based off of what these companies think will profit. What they are making is JUST A PRODUCT and therefore, aren't art.

And as long as games are associated with these images, they will not be taken seriously.

Woah, woah, woah.

Taken seriously? I thought we wanted games to be good. enjoyable, fun. And what's this indie scene bull shit "The masses, the masses!"

Seriously it's like MMA fans (pride fans) whining about how the ultimate fighter has made the sport casual fans can enjoy back when they felt special for having over 50 boot leg videos that only they knew about.

Lost I think your annoyed that gaming unlike you didn't grow up. It shouldn't. If there are a handful of games that inspire thoughts in you... personally God bless and keep you. But you can't make people think. People generally aren't getting games to think.

Just in the same way people don't go watch bat man to think. it can happen. but shouldn't expect it. You sure as hell shouldn't feel entitled to it.

That is a very good point. "You can't make people think." Very good point.
But I have to say that I don't feel entitled to ANYTHING. The world is what the world is as is and expecting anything else is... pointless? With that being said, I can still work towards change and still WANT something that isn't there.

And not all games need to be "artsy" or "meaningful". What is frustrating is how hard it is to get a solid title that actually IS one of these things. They do exist. But there would easily be a lot more out there if the corporate B.S. and wasn't in the way. Believe it or not, most of the titles out there aren't what the gamemakers (the ppl doing the actual work) wanted them to be.

I also completely disagree that games shouldn't grow up. There is a market for grown up titles. It's growing and there's money there. People tend to be what they digest. If it's only boobs and twitch that they can access... then that's all they CAN want. Does that make sense?

Games can be so much more. Many people just can't see that yet.

Azuaron:
feminism: A social theory or political movement supporting the equality of both sexes in all aspects of public and private life;

[...]

Get that? Feminism is for the equality of the sexes.

Name five prominent feminists that defended male rights?

I didn't want to be anal about this, but the word just sounds wrong and should be changed. It's like if the opposite of Racism was Blackism.

LostintheWick:

rembrandtqeinstein:
Is this the wrong thread to say that she has the "nerdy yet still totally hot" sarah silverman look down?

I don't think this is the wrong thread to say that. In fact... I totally agree. Isn't this kind of ironic? Are we objectifying her for thinking this? Idk... but I would like to think, no.

Well, Anita did argue that the act of undressing women empowers men and degrades women in a Bayonetta video. I suppose that finding her attractive is objectification and therefore proof of sexism in gaming communities.

If you mention that she wears make up and fixes her eyebrows she'll delete your comment.

Magog1:
http://www.feministfrequency.com/2009/11/the-real-reason-guys-should-hate-twilight/

so this is the big problem? I really was ready to go on the hate wagon. I got a black belt in hating on shit. I have no problem with as jim would say "go for the throat."

As far as I can tell this girl is my kind of scum. (to qoute jabba).
As far as I can tell she's a new look to old conversations.
It sounds like she inspires thought.

Yes being told what to do, does suck ass.
Yes she seems to have issues with love, and not the kind of issues someone who's been hurt has, but the kind of issues someone who's never really been in a real relationship.

relationships to some form, or degree are in fact about manipulation. Even if your both, super, duper trying not to.

I could take that the wrong way, I could have a short temper and go "Your gay bi%tch shut up." but unless she's considerably worse in her other videos I don't see a real problem.

Most of her opinions are poorly thought out. She once called out Lauren Faust, the writer of the PPGirls and MLP for blatant misogyny, she thinks it's wrong for young girls to like the colour pink, she thinks Bayonetta and the girl from Gravity Rush are shamelessly pandering to horny teens, she thinks it's sexist that there is only one female character in Bastion who is clearly just there for sex appeal and so you can rescue her from the baddies and so on and so forth. However, as questionable as all of those opinions are, it's no longer about her opinions, thanks to the Internet. The real question is, who is more wrong? her or the hordes of chimpanzees threatening to beat the shit out of her, rape her and kill her? There is a lot of that. So yeah. Who cares about her opinions? How can one person's opinions even be considered worth discussing when we have thousands of subhuman scum spewing hate-speech because somebody might have had an opinion they might not have agreed with? Isn't that more urgent?

Jimothy Sterling:
Anita Sarkeesian - The Monster Gamers Created

Angry gamers have been to Anita Sarkeesian (and gaming feminism in general) what DRM has been to piracy. Attempts to kill a thing have only made it stronger.

Watch Video

Watching your video, I could finally see the beautiful irony of the situation. And you are right, as of right now, there is now way to counter her arguements without it being seen as being sexist.

And looking at it on a larger scale. It seems logical to assume that if Ms Sarkeesian were not harassed, then we probably wouldn't be having the large influx of sexism topics swarming the escapist forums on a regular basis.

Now, I enjoy discussing stuff like that, I think it's an issue that merits discussion, but fresh discussion.

This entire incident has turned a lot of gamer's priorities towards sexism, and just as the Anita's harassment has rendered it impossible to discuss her videos on an intellectual level, it seems to have cast the same type of shadow over the broader topic of sexism in gaming; if for no other reason than it's a given that the discussion will invariably lead back to her.

Lol at the R3 joke. Still got to get around to playing that.

Anyways, my major problem with what Jim's saying here is that not all gamers added fuel to this fire. I would even say that most didn't, though I obviously have nothing to back that up. To this date, I still have no idea exactly what "Tropes vs Women" is or exactly what about it pissed people off so much. When it originally came about, I just ignored it and assumed it was just another "internet controversy" that would be dead in a couple weeks tops. Then Hitman Absolution and Tomb Raider happened (I still think that the Hitman issue was way overblown. An assassin hitting women that are trying to kill him? Le gasp!), and shit just hit the fan even more. Around then I tried looking up what Tropes vs Women actually was; but all I ever got was obvious, teenage, ad-hominem filled arguments that didn't actually mention what TvW is or what exactly about it is bad. In the end, I found myself not really knowing what it was or why people should hate it, while forming a disgust at the people making games about beating her face in seemingly without reason other than "feminists are bad!". Somehow people are treating her as if she's worse than EA, Activision, Ubisoft, LucasArts, or even (*shudders*) the MPAA and RIAA. All I got left to say about it is "What the fuck?" and "Let's get back to dealing with the video game industry being ran by stockholders now, shall we?". Jim was right on a lot of things here, but please don't lump me in with the people who thought that threatening to rape somebody was a valid response to anything, especially when I'm not on either side of this shitstorm.

Captcha: "Queen Nefertiti" o_0 Captcha's scaring me...

EDIT:

RatRace123:
And looking at it on a larger scale. It seems logical to assume that if Ms Sarkeesian were not harassed, then we probably wouldn't be having the large influx of sexism topics swarming the escapist forums on a regular basis.

Now, I enjoy discussing stuff like that, I think it's an issue that merits discussion, but fresh discussion.

This entire incident has turned a lot of gamer's priorities towards sexism, and just as the Anita's harassment has rendered it impossible to discuss her videos on an intellectual level, it seems to have cast the same type of shadow over the broader topic of sexism in gaming; if for no other reason than it's a given that the discussion will invariably lead back to her.

^ This as well. It's now impossible to discuss this or even figure out what the original argument was. In short, this whole thing just needs to die off and go away.

Yep, masses of idiots making a minor thing in to a giant fucking annoyance sadly quite common on the net in the past few years. The sexism debate is great in theory but when it degenerates to little more than children and man-children sexists yelling about "dem evil womens" taking away their boob physics or paranoid morons claiming -any- kind of sexuality in a female characters design or personality is automatically sexist or pandering or whatever urgh it all just makes me shake my head and go really? these are the best discussions people are capable of?

I still hold out hope that the balance of the industry will right itself eventually as everyone, both creators and consumers matures but right now god I'd be happy if a game with boobs as a marketing tool (DoA5 comes to mind) could be left alone and a game that's trying to give us something new and different doesn't get ripped to shreds or completely ignored.

xPixelatedx:
snip

I apologize, I misread your post.

You know, the first time I ever heard about Sarkeesian was from the news of all the attacks on her. And every time since has been someone complaining that she still exists.

This whole thing is entirely too depressing. I honestly haven't seen much of her stuff, but from what I hear of her work, she's kinda taking things a bit far. She's not filled with horrible points, but it looks like some are seeping in. Maybe when she releases a video I'll have to see if she's got good material. I just wish we, as a community, could talk about this stuff without freaking out. It's not like the Feminazi Secret Police are going to delete your Steam library and smash your disks if you say, "hey, we could making gaming more interesting if we had a few more games out with good female protagonists." Maybe we need to extract the teenagers with complexes (this also includes adults who act like teenagers with complexes) and send them to the kid's table so the rest of the adults can talk?

I feel like, regardless of what has happened and regardless of what we need to do to have a serious conversation about women in gaming (be really, needlessly polite? 'Cause anyone can do that, it just sucks), we need to do it. This conversation needs to happen. Just like every other conversation for race, creed, sexuality, etc. needs to happen. We won't hurt anything by just debating this stuff.

V da Mighty Taco:
Lol at the R3 joke. Still got to get around to playing that.

Anyways, my major problem with what Jim's saying here is that not all gamers added fuel to this fire. I would even say that most didn't, though I obviously have nothing to back that up. To this date, I still have no idea exactly what "Tropes vs Women" is or exactly what about it pissed people off so much. When it originally came about, I just ignored it and assumed it was just another "internet controversy" that would be dead in a couple weeks tops. Then Hitman Absolution and Tomb Raider happened (I still think that the Hitman issue was way overblown. An assassin hitting women that are trying to kill him? Le gasp!), and shit just hit the fan even more. Around then I tried looking up what Tropes vs Women actually was; but all I ever got was obvious, teenage, ad-hominem filled arguments that didn't actually mention what TvW is or what exactly about it is bad. In the end, I found myself not really knowing what it was or why people should hate it, while forming a disgust at the people making games about beating her face in seemingly without reason other than "feminists are bad!". Somehow people are treating her as if she's worse than EA, Activision, Ubisoft, LucasArts, or even (*shudders*) the MPAA and RIAA. All I got left to say about it is "What the fuck?" and "Let's get back to dealing with the video game industry being ran by stockholders now, shall we?". Jim was right on a lot of things here, but please don't lump me in with the people who thought that threatening to rape somebody was a valid response to anything, especially when I'm not on either side of this shitstorm.

Captcha: "Queen Nefertiti" o_0 Captcha's scaring me...

That gets to the bigger problem with this issue from both Jim and Anita. The whole term of "gaming community" is just a stupid over generalization that is basically a core aspect to armchair journalism because said people don't actually have anyone specific that actually represents their hobby and would actually defend it with an actual intellectual conversation.

Suffice to say that Anita honestly takes 4chan seriously as being representative of everyone who plays video games. That is her starting point that demonstrates how flawed her thought process is because she doesn't have anyone specific like the ECA or PMS gaming or other video game clans or guilds to demonize.

It is honestly lazy for any journalist or researcher to espouse one's personal beliefs without actually getting into the specific of those that seem to be the problem that said journalist or reporter is crying wolf about. Cause if we really are honest all it is when you make generalities like Anita and Jim is that you are creating this imaginary punching bag that consists of people who really don't represent any sort of actual gaming community. An actual gaming community is something that is built and created and that isn't afraid to say of their connections.

Do we honestly think that Anita or Jim would really say for example say that the ECA or PMS gaming has any actual problems on the level that Anita would like to believe? Somehow I doubt that.

It's funny because I was exactly the same. The first I heard about her was some vague mention of a lady making videos in regards to sexism in gaming. I disregarded it because I don't seriously believe there is (in the industry at least, can't speak for the community).

The next thing I know I am hearing about all of the abuse she is getting, and well, the idiots gave her all of the ammunition she needed.

ElPatron:

Azuaron:
feminism: A social theory or political movement supporting the equality of both sexes in all aspects of public and private life;

[...]

Get that? Feminism is for the equality of the sexes.

Name five prominent feminists that defended male rights?

I didn't want to be anal about this, but the word just sounds wrong and should be changed. It's like if the opposite of Racism was Blackism.

I agree with the second point, it really shouldn't be called feminism if it truly is about equality. If it is about female empowerment then it's good, but it's not the same thing, and shouldn't be referred to as such.

As for the first point, well if you ask a feminist then they will often say that feminism is about gaining equality for women, not about finding equal rights for all. The difference is subtle, but it generally indicates the belief that women are treated as unequal and therefore it needs to be balanced out.

Man, 40 minutes to uninstall R3 is a ridiculous amount of time!

Catrixa:
You know, the first time I ever heard about Sarkeesian was from the news of all the attacks on her. And every time since has been someone complaining that she still exists.

This whole thing is entirely too depressing. I honestly haven't seen much of her stuff, but from what I hear of her work, she's kinda taking things a bit far. She's not filled with horrible points, but it looks like some are seeping in. Maybe when she releases a video I'll have to see if she's got good material. I just wish we, as a community, could talk about this stuff without freaking out. It's not like the Feminazi Secret Police are going to delete your Steam library and smash your disks if you say, "hey, we could making gaming more interesting if we had a few more games out with good female protagonists." Maybe we need to extract the teenagers with complexes (this also includes adults who act like teenagers with complexes) and send them to the kid's table so the rest of the adults can talk?

I feel like, regardless of what has happened and regardless of what we need to do to have a serious conversation about women in gaming (be really, needlessly polite? 'Cause anyone can do that, it just sucks), we need to do it. This conversation needs to happen. Just like every other conversation for race, creed, sexuality, etc. needs to happen. We won't hurt anything by just debating this stuff.

I feel like I'm repeating myself but the conversation you feel that needs to be talked about. Is talked about everyday where it actually matters. Locally. It happens when a game is being developed, it happens when two friends get together to play a game, it happens when a guild goes on a raid.

Having some sort of one way communication where you have one person espouse their views in a form that seems that it comes from some position of authority is not actually having a conversation. Nor will that format actually result in anything because you can't create some federal law to enforce one's moral standards upon another.

The real conversation is the stuff that is in your own backyard and the people you decide to socialize with and the communities you personally participate in and build. The main reason most people have some problem or scream about some problem is that more often than not that person is not being proactive to make their time playing video games better. One of my favorite examples is that I have a friend who plays League of Legends, his friend list is full and yet everytime I still hear him complain about the "LOL Community" and how terrible it is. So I finally asked him just outright, "do you have any friends on your friend list". Told me it was full. So I asked him this, "Are they actually your friends if they aren't playing with you and are you really doing any work to be their friends so they would want to play with you?". That got him to basically clean out his friend list and start over. Needless to say he doesn't bitch about the LOL community because he did what I keep telling people to do to really build a community. Make a chat room, make friends that you actually want to be friends with and play the game with them, be a friend back and see how they are doing. Simple stuff like that is where the real communities are and not some blob that everyone likes to beat up like a punching bag because they don't want to put in the effort to play past PUGs.

Legion:
It's funny because I was exactly the same. The first I heard about her was some vague mention of a lady making videos in regards to sexism in gaming. I disregarded it because I don't seriously believe there is (in the industry at least, can't speak for the community).

The next thing I know I am hearing about all of the abuse she is getting, and well, the idiots gave her all of the ammunition she needed.

My first time hearing of her was when she was "attacked" on youtube. My comment was basically, "Oh No! Ass-twits on Youtube are spewing shit from the face holes... Big fucking deal..."

Back, then... I didnt see what was such the big deal...

Anita who? I honestly haven't heard of her until just now. And I only come on here once or twice a week. And after I finished watching that video, I think I'll just safely forget about it again and play some Minecraft.

Welp, it's that time of the thread again.

Can anyone please tell me what the game that's shown at 6:04 is?

WanderingFool:

Legion:

My first time hearing of her was when she was "attacked" on youtube. My comment was basically, "Oh No! Ass-twits on Youtube are spewing shit from the face holes... Big fucking deal..."

Sadly you can always rely on people to make a big deal out of something that really shouldn't be.

I think people are starting to realise what a mess the internet can make, hell even the mainstream media is speaking about trolling, and Twitter abuse now.

I love how trolls feel like bastions of logic with statements like "it's just words" and "if you can't take the heat, get off the internet". And that, they're not raging angry psychopaths, they're laughing at your pain and stupidity for a logically superior position.

But in reality, they think they can change the world by bullying someone into silence, and not only that, they think they can make it work every time. And in this case, how raging they must be that the made her stronger, and they know it. In fact they may use it as a sick justification, "ha, poor her. Thanks to all those so called terrible rape threats, she's successful. We made her." like a bunch of creeps. And what that shows, is how angry they are they can't talk down someone into submission on the internet. They want their sick rape threats to have power to silence every time, and they can't have it. And it ticks them off to no end.

And I'm glad it does. I'm glad that they're powerless. And I'm glad that they've done little but manage to give her and the issue more publicity.

I don't even know how qualified and how well Anita will be able to handle such a load of money and a burden that comes with doing an extensive topic well and utilize hundreds of thousands of dollars well and in a way that will please her supports. That is a huge responsibility placed on her shoulders and I would be scared to death of it being placed on mine. I sure as heck am not qualified to use that money efficiently and properly and I own and have played over a thousand games. And have read dozens of books on feminism and gender.

And well, I think that if she isn't qualified to do all this, I honestly think she will try her very best with what she has. I truly believe that she has great intentions and, having loads of money and responsibility, is trying to carefully plan the best course of action. One of the criticisms she is facing right now is that she's asking for advice. And I'm sure she is asking for advice all over the place, I'm glad she is, I would be too. And honestly, the way this has been drawn attention to, if she can't handle this burden alone, I'm more than certain this chain of events will lead to someone who can take up the torch just as well.

"You accused her of rape!"
"You are now accusing her of being a scam artist"
"You are trying to have an intelligent debate now"
"You are moaning about the fact that you can't have that debate"

Careful, Jim, it's possible that all those YOU!s are different people. You do have a bit of a habit of doing this in your series.

Legion:

WanderingFool:

Legion:

Sadly you can always rely on people to make a big deal out of something that really shouldn't be.

I think people are starting to realise what a mess the internet can make, hell even the mainstream media is speaking about trolling, and Twitter abuse now.

I think it all has to do with one key aspect of the internet: Anonymity. When you give people the chance to be assholes without any kind of repercussion, assholes those people will become.

The lesson to be learned here is that if someone on the internet is bugging you it's better to just ignore them than to lash out.
Remember! Don't feed the parasprites!

Holy crap, thank god for you Jim. Every time I see a thread on her I'm like oh my god just leave her alone. Her videos aren't the end of gaming and if you didn't give her money then why the hell do you care.

If she is an idiot or/and a scammer then she will indeed be revealed to be one in no short amount of time, in the meantime the trolls that hate her are just giving her publicity and like you said the attacks on her almost PROVE on their own that there is a problem.

I don't agree with everything she says and sometimes she can be a little obtuse, but I do think women in games (on both sides of the LCD) is something that needs looked at.

I don't really care. The only thing that keeps me from supporting feminists is the name.
Fighting for gender equality is a good thing, but Feminism is for females , in the same way e.g. Communism is for Communists.

I'm not judging anyone or anything, but if I write on my flag that I only support one specific thing, I can't complain when the opposition doesn't support me.
That might work if there was an opposing force, but the male gender disqualifies itself with the stupid things that are said on the internet.

Sadly people love drama and once these things get started as Jim said very hard to stop. I think her points will most likely be wrong and overblown but it doesn't really matter more people will watch her videos than likely before all the hate.

DioWallachia:
I dont see why now all the arguments against Anita would be useless for the death threats and such, when it is clear that those were a vocal minority. The amount of people doing actual research to counter act the thing she saids is WAAAAAY more bast in proportion. But i guess that, once again, people are focusing on the minority like if they were the ALL the detractors.

galaith100:
Dear Jim

She (Anita "Straw Feminist" Sarkeesian) knew that feminism is not popular. She knew she would have trolls, and she highlighted the worst of the trolls. She could have blocked the comments from the start if she wanted. I'm gone make it easy: We can't have an intellectuelll debate with Anita "Straw Feminist" Sarkeesian (her new name) because she don't want it. There would just not be some much hate aganst her if she was not a crybaby. She is a easy to hate Straw Feminist & Punchingbag.

PS. Jim, STOP SAYING "YOU". THE TROLLS ARE THE MINORITY.

Let's stop trying to pass off this type of behavior as just the "vocal minority". Because even if it was only one person that did it, it's still one too many. And while not all of her detractors made threats, all of the people that made threats were detractors. And if the majority of the detractors see these threats being made, know that these people are wrong for doing so, and not say anything to let that be known, why shouldn't they all be lumped together?

GAunderrated:
I avoided all those threads for the exact reason Jim was talking about. I didn't even know the issue until this video. Now I did notice in the escapist there were about 200 sexism topics but since I knew how those threads turned out I just ignored them. Even after watching this video I will continue to ignore whatever her name was projects (I really forgot already) because as a gamer they just don't interest me.

P.S. The ending was classic jim. Good job.

Well done. You did exactly what dozens of commentators on here should do, but somehow can't. They just have to go onto these daily threads and loudly declare "NOT ANOTHER ONE OF THESE THREADS!!" before getting heavily involved in a heated discussion with others. They just can't ignore it.

Tenmar:

I feel like I'm repeating myself but the conversation you feel that needs to be talked about. Is talked about everyday where it actually matters. Locally. It happens when a game is being developed, it happens when two friends get together to play a game, it happens when a guild goes on a raid.

Having some sort of one way communication where you have one person espouse their views in a form that seems that it comes from some position of authority is not actually having a conversation. Nor will that format actually result in anything because you can't create some federal law to enforce one's moral standards upon another.

The real conversation is the stuff that is in your own backyard and the people you decide to socialize with and the communities you personally participate in and build. The main reason most people have some problem or scream about some problem is that more often than not that person is not being proactive to make their time playing video games better. One of my favorite examples is that I have a friend who plays League of Legends, his friend list is full and yet everytime I still hear him complain about the "LOL Community" and how terrible it is. So I finally asked him just outright, "do you have any friends on your friend list". Told me it was full. So I asked him this, "Are they actually your friends if they aren't playing with you and are you really doing any work to be their friends so they would want to play with you?". That got him to basically clean out his friend list and start over. Needless to say he doesn't bitch about the LOL community because he did what I keep telling people to do to really build a community. Make a chat room, make friends that you actually want to be friends with and play the game with them, be a friend back and see how they are doing. Simple stuff like that is where the real communities are and not some blob that everyone likes to beat up like a punching bag because they don't want to put in the effort to play past PUGs.

I guess I just feel like every time I see this stuff come up, people just dismiss it, because everyone is already talking about it. Or someone spouts bile to incite the masses. Or something. Yeah, I talk about it with my friends, but this really just makes me feel better, it doesn't solve the problem, or even get other people thinking about it. I'm just preaching to the choir. To use your LoL example: Yeah, making friends with cool people online will improve your personal LoL experience. You won't have to deal with anyone going AFK on you because someone is playing a champ they think is bad. But this doesn't fix the problem, you just don't see it anymore. And, while it would be awesome if everyone did that and all the trolls vanished for everyone currently playing, it doesn't help new people joining the game, because the problem was never actually solved. To keep with the LoL metaphor: to really fix the LoL community, I'd say get your friend voting on the Tribunal. It might not be the absolute be-all-end-all community glue, but it's at least a step in a constructive direction.

Anita Sarkeesian

Before watching, I just want to say... Who? Yeah, I have no idea who this person is and I have a feeling that once I watch this and find out, I'll miss not knowing who she is. Oh well, time to click play.

So some random lady nobody fucking heard of doing a video series nobody would have fucking watched if a few people saw the idea, didn't like it, and snowballed it so she's super popular? Idiots. This is, of course, the problem with the whole fight with immaturity thing. Most people aren't smart enough to realize that you still need to chose your battles maturely. Going off on someone unpopular to the point where they become popular means you lose. All you had to do to win is nothing. Do nothing and she would have stated nothing. Save all that immaturity for something worth going nuts on. Something that's already public. Don't threaten to rape some unpopular woman until she becomes popular, threaten to rape the CEOs of companies that put online passes and on-disc DRM in their games. Actually don't threaten to rape anybody because that's fucked up beyond belief, but you know what I mean. Launch your attacks on things that are already quite public so that they have nothing positive to gain from all the new exposure. And learn to let some nobody stay a nobody as that's the best way to make them go away.

Pretty sad that an entire episode needed to be devoted to explaining something that should have been common sense because the majority of the people on the internet have absolutely none, but there it is.

I agree with Jim on this one pretty much entirely, which isn't something I often do. The whole fiasco was messed up. The overbloated response to it from those who actively took time to threaten her was sad in general. I don't neccessarily agree with her entirely and, were it not for the fact I find arguing on the internet an entirely futile endevor, would comment on some problems I have with the project from what I've seen (I try to hold myself from making judgements until I've actually seen what I'm judging, in this case her series which hasn't been released).

The fact of the matter is she's free to make a kickstarter if she wants to. People are free to fund her if they want to. Nobody is forcing you or someone else to donate. But the more noteworthy responses we've seen are just absurd. Threatening is not a good tactic in nearly any situation, especially one like this. This isn't a situation where things will be 'fixed' because people act like asses.

No, Jim Sterling, it wasn't ME who created Sarkeesian. It was YOU. You, game jounalists, who thought that a handful of idiots posting idiotic things on a random website is newsworthy.

I didn't threaten to rape Sarkeesian. I didn't say anything to her. I didn't see her Kickstarter. I just heard about it on every damn gaming site that I visit, and yes, at that point, I added my own negative criticism to several comment sections about how misguided she seems to be.

So here we are, gamers with various political opinions from the extremely feminist to the extremelysexist, with many stances in-between, being all lumped together, in a "gamers vs. The Sarkeesian" debate, because YOU, decided that this is how the story should be told, because YOU thought that the hundreds of thousands of people expressing varying degrees of discotent with her work, are all collectively responsible for whatever a dozen misogynist assholes are posting to her, AND for however the journalists will choose to spin that story.

Before Jim's video

Anita Sarkeesian = uh who?

After Jims video

Anita Sarkeesian = uh ok, still don't care

On the other hand 40 minutes to uninstall Resistance 3, what with all your fancy modern electronics and the cloud and the interwebs you would think it could be done in seconds, 40 minutes that's just idiotic.

Azuaron:
feminism: A social theory or political movement supporting the equality of both sexes in all aspects of public and private life; specifically, a theory or movement that argues that legal and social restrictions on females must be removed in order to bring about such equality.

Wrong. Sometimes what words mean changes. This is one of those times. The only kinds of "feminists" left these days (only people who still refer to themselves as feminists, anyway) are ones that want women to be superior and fuck men. They don't want equality. Feminism now effectively means wanting women to be superior. And I say fuck it, let them have that word, because that's what it sounds like it should mean anyway. We can come up with a new term for people who want equality (which is plenty of men and women). I vote for "rational, intelligent people." Let feminists mean crazy nutjob who wants women to be considered superior to men. Just let them have it! Stop arguing about what to call them and start arguing about something important.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 20 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here