No Right Answer: Worst Third Movie of a Series Ever

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Spiderman 3 sucked because producers forced raimi to add Venom. Yes add the black sludge in 3, but make him a major enemy in Spiderman 4. Venom himself sucks as he is just a violent force, no story.....which is why Raimi hates Venom. Golden age characters had story and reason.

Scars Unseen:
When I click on the video I get an error:

200, Stream not found, NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound, clip: '[Clip] 'http://video2.themis-media.com/766d9ea2d7d02d7e2dec3a7c47146f9d/mp4_hq/escapist/no-right-answer/32d898279e6b94179b03592f6d732ca0.mp4''

Yeah, getting the same error no matter how many times I try to reload the page. Even cleared my cache to no avail. The file is simply missing.

Out of those two? DEFINITELY Matrix 3. But there are much threequels out there then Pirates 3.

Thunderous Cacophony:

portal_cat:
it may have 8 movies to it but we're just going on the worse 3rd movie of a series then I'd say the third Harry Potter movie. / Not to mention the fading to black transitions was over done.

Aye, there were a few liberties with the script and the direction wasn't great (Alfonso Cuarón hadn't read any of the books or seen the previous films previously, and he had to take it across the gap between 'reasonably lighthearted magical childhood romp' to 'hero's journey complete with soul-eating creatures'), but it wasn't BAD. It was not great, but it was still serviceable.

Yeah, I'd have to agree that the overwrought drama of the third HP film made it my least favorite as well. A lot of Radcliffe's line readings were borderline comically bad, and the freeze frame ending was the stupidest thing I've seen in any of the HP movies.

On the other hand, I generally have a pretty good relationship with many film series' third installments. "Son of Frankenstein" was a terrific cap on what I consider the Karloff trilogy, and I side with Randall Graves in my love of Return of the Jedi over Empire. Then there's Spiderman 3, a movie I'll side with Gladstone and Devin Faraci in defending, though perhaps not outright liking.

Also, don't know if anybody's seen the surprisingly excellent Gamera trilogy from the '90s (heck, even the first three Gamera films from the '60s are enjoyable with the right mindset, "vs. Barugon" in particular, I'd contest, being legitimately good), but the series on the whole (the third especially) are a fascinating deconstruction of the whole Kaiju genre.

Matrix 3 sucked cos it was a bunch of people dancing in a cave. Preferred it when it was a group on a ship, not hundreds of people.

POTC sucked cos they made their story to complicated and to big with to many characters. It got stupid in the third movie.

Both series fell for the "big is better" bullshit and lost what made the originals awesome.

[quote="Gatx" post="6.388099.15528853"

Krantos:
Am I really in that much of a minority for liking the third PotC movie?

I mean, that over Spiderman 3? Really?

Apparently I have bad taste in movies.

Well not according to that little mini-survey they did at the end of the video. I also liked the third one, I mean not as much as the other two obviously, but it was a decent movie.[/quote]
I actually liked the third one better than the second myself. And the fourth one probably better than the second.

I still wanna know if that missionary dude actually survives...

I didn't really get that stuff about the third Pirates film being the only bad one of the trilogy. I thought the second was just as bat-shit insane and incomprehensible as the third. I've seen them both at least twice and I still have absolutely no idea what the plot was. The battles and VFX were amazing though. Davy Jones looked mind-blowing.

But I think The Matrix Revolutions was worse because the criticism that it was the only bad of the three is better suited towards that film. It also completely fucked up the story of the entire trilogy. It was still kind of fun to watch I guess, and I liked the DBZ battle (I think I'm in a minority with that), but the problems with the plot were just so huge. With Pirates the nonsensical plot didn't really bother me since I had no idea what was supposed to be happening anyway. It was just some stuff happening, and some pirates were going "argh", and the music was awesome, and everything was exploding. Great. But with Revolutions I could pick out so much that was specifically wrong with it that it pissed me off much more. Pirates felt like it didn't matter that it didn't make sense, because the movie was just an awesome ride and it knew it. But with The Matrix it was supposed to be building towards something so epic and magnificent, and it just fucked everything up.

I also agree about how it pulled away from events actually in The Matrix and the philosophy of the series. It just went "fuck it, we're just shooting robots now". That was a big disappointment. A while ago I posted a thread where I went through the whole series and talked about every detail, and exactly why Revolutions was such a failure, so if anyone wants to see what else I have to say they can look there.

Also I don't think Toy Story really counts as a trilogy. It was never supposed to be. When they started it was never intended to be, and even after the second it wasn't. Even with the third it still wasn't supposed to be a three-parter, they just took that opportunity to end it since it made sense to do it there. They should leave the series alone now, since they ended it so well, but if they decided to do another it wouldn't be like the Toy Story version of Pirates 4, it would just be an unnecessary add-on. It wouldn't ruin the "trilogy", it would just be kind of... there.

My choice would be Terminator 3, I paid 99p to rent that and I felt ripped off.

As for PotC3 ask Ron Gilbert what he thinks :)

Toy Story 4 is the worst idea I've heard all day.
"SHUT UP CHRIS!"
Best line I've heard all day.

Between the two choices in this video, I'd say I hate Matrix:Revolutions less than PotC:AWE, because M:R had those two big action sequences, with the mech-suits vs. squid-bots in Zion and Neo vs. Smith in the Matrix. It makes me wonder if killing/freeing Smith in the first movie was the worst possible thing Neo did to the Matrix, thus scaring it into agreeing to his terms for peace. The religious symbolism and alegory was too on-the-nose, but i think the Wachowskis ran out of clever when they did that in the 1st one.
As for the 3rd Pirates movie, I was totally lost by the time of those double and triple crosses, that I had no idea who to root for. It's one enjoyable scene was having Keith Richards play Jack Sparrow's dad. At least the 4th movie was more enjoyable.

But my choice for worst 3rd flick? Spider-Man 3. X-MEN 3 had it's problems, but had so much "It could have been good if they just changed this part", and we got to see their take on The Danger Room, and Magneto's big battle speech. SM3 had too much melodrama and out-of-character moments.

Spiderman 3..not even for shoehorning Venom into the film or even casting Sandman as the main villain (I'd like to see a no right answer for the worst villains in comic books: Spidey vs. The Flash...seriously..Vulture vs. Mirror Master..we all lose...), but for that whole Dark Peter Jerod Leto dancing scene. Way to f*** up my day Sam Raimi.

Superman 3: I realize most of you are probably too young to remember this movie. Hell, I'm probably too young because I didn't remember it being as bad as it actually is. When you have cast Richard Pryor in your film because he's hot at the moment, chances are you didn't have a good movie to begin with. Superman 3 was awful. Just watch the fight between Superman and "dark" Superman. It's pathetic even for the time.

Loved the Matrix. Even loved the terrible CGI bits of Matrix 2. Hated how a movie called "The Matrix" had little to do with the Matrix. It was pretty much a bunch of sweaty people in a cave having a rave(unintentional rhyme...) and a mediocre DBZ style rainy fight scene. That is pretty much all I remember from that film.

Back 2 the Future 3- Man...wow. Yeah it kinda wrapped the story up in a nice neat package but wow was that movie terrible. Seriously, replace the coolest movie car ever that's not named Batmobile with a big ass train. A big ass flying train...Yeah...no thanks Mr. Eastwood.

Aliens 3 has to be trash compared to Aliens and Alien. They threw everything they build up the first two movies right out of the window.

EXPO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWAY!!!!!!!

The7Sins:

portal_cat:
it may have 8 movies to it but we're just going on the worse 3rd movie of a series then I'd say the third Harry Potter movie. There was no shrunken heads in the book and anything electronic doesn't function in Hogwarts. Not to mention the fading to black transitions was over done.

What hurt that movie even more was the fact that the third Harry Potter book was the only one that was bad. Not really a good sign for a movie to be good if the book it is based on is bad.

Sorry, but... what? What?

Not only do I think Prisoner of Hezbollah was the best movie in the series (with the possible exception of Deadly Marrows Pt 1) but I also think it's the best of the books - great, clean story, excellent twist, no padding, frickin' time travel, Dementors, werewolves, come on! The film is by far the best filmed, it's the only one where any of them produces anywhere near a top-notch acting performance, the script is believeable, and even JK herself has said she wished she invented the shrunken heads.

(FWIW, the full roster of greatness is (movies) 3>7>4>8>5>2>1; (books) 3>2>4>6>1>7>5)

I'm just... I mean... Matrix Revolutions is in your opinion the worst... WTF? You mean THIS ONE?!

If 2 ships swirling in a whirlpool and enough stupidity to insult Patrick is "better", wow... I don't know if I should take this series seriously or not, but after this one, I'm just gonna stop watching it. Yeap, that's it, I'm gone. Leaving you to your Harry Potter discussion. Have fun with it...

Alright ... The choices are definitely weird (With POTC not being a trilogy and the whole "Matrix 3 as the worst" stuffs)

Let's begin with Matrix Revolutions: In my opinion it suffered from the "World at Stakes" syndrome. Matrix was much more about getting to know the Matrix, the real world and how this whole stuff works. It made pretty clear: There are no saviors, except for that mythical guy that might at some point free us -> we are screwed royally, but hey, this guy is promising! At least he might keep us alive a little longer, even if he isn't the One after all!
Then the two sequels happened. The Bane-Arc (I believe it was Bane, no? Haven't watched it in a while) was loose, ridiculous nonsense at best, in my opinion. Neo as "Justice" (blindfolded and trying to return the peace) was just as ridiculous.
Matrix 2 focused on finding out how to fix it, which was fine, but that was, in my opinion, the point at which the matrix itself lost its merit philosophically (I'm sure everyone here asked the question "What if all this stuff around me isn't real?" once in their life), as it became something supernatural with a bit of science-fuzz around it.
Matrix 3, thus, had to conclude this and put the world at stake - the machines stage war, infiltrate Zion, try to eradicate every single one who left. Neo's arc on the other hand focused on trying to get him into this "Justice" role, make him fix it, have Agent Smith "ruin" the matrix and turn this whole thing into an action-filled mess of nonsense. It wasn't a bad movie per say, it was just the worst in the trilogy as it had no connection whatsoever to the rest of it, apart from some loose strings and this huge arc that shouldn't even happen at all.

PotC3 is a different caliber. PotC never took itself too seriously - which is perfectly fine since it stars Johnny Depp ... I mean, really, how serious could a movie get in that case? - but now suddenly it went batshit crazy with Elizabeth being a captain, Will becoming Davy Jones, the whole fortress-of-doom-and-massive-defense-against-marine-onslaught arc, the end with Jones --- Know what? I really lost track during that movie. It was crazy. Nothing made sense, everything was perverted ... It was a steaming pile of crazy.
I'd go as far as to say: PotC 3 isn't as bad as Matrix 3 in relation to the series, as it never had the intention to be taken seriously and make much sense. PotC 3 however was a bad movie itself. It felt long-drawn and it jumped the movie's own shark very early.

What third movie do I personally consider the worst?
Godfather III, simply because it felt like a cheap reboot of two movies that were near-perfect together.

Thedutchjelle:
Aliens 3 has to be trash compared to Aliens and Alien. They threw everything they build up the first two movies right out of the window.

I love Alien 3, really don't think it threw away everything from the first two. All the same themes are there.... actually, never mind, I know a lot of people don't like it, and I know I'm not going to change your mind. But I love it.

Resurrection on the other hand....

"No right answer" - yeah. That might be true. But what these two come up with are just dumb answers.

Matrix Revolution as the worst? The worst!? Really?

Just rename this series and call it: "dumb answers".

I have to admit that I'm a little torn on which is worse, they're both just so god-awful in their own way.

By the way, does anyone know of any 3rd movies that are at least as good as their predecessors? With the exception of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade I can't think of any.

Flatfrog:

The7Sins:

portal_cat:
it may have 8 movies to it but we're just going on the worse 3rd movie of a series then I'd say the third Harry Potter movie. There was no shrunken heads in the book and anything electronic doesn't function in Hogwarts. Not to mention the fading to black transitions was over done.

What hurt that movie even more was the fact that the third Harry Potter book was the only one that was bad. Not really a good sign for a movie to be good if the book it is based on is bad.

Sorry, but... what? What?

Not only do I think Prisoner of Hezbollah was the best movie in the series (with the possible exception of Deadly Marrows Pt 1) but I also think it's the best of the books - great, clean story, excellent twist, no padding, frickin' time travel, Dementors, werewolves, come on! The film is by far the best filmed, it's the only one where any of them produces anywhere near a top-notch acting performance, the script is believeable, and even JK herself has said she wished she invented the shrunken heads.

(FWIW, the full roster of greatness is (movies) 3>7>4>8>5>2>1; (books) 3>2>4>6>1>7>5)

I seriously can't tell if you are trolling. If that was your intention, well done.

Wriggle Wyrm:
I have to admit that I'm a little torn on which is worse, they're both just so god-awful in their own way.

By the way, does anyone know of any 3rd movies that are at least as good as their predecessors? With the exception of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade I can't think of any.

For your question, The Dark Knight Rises if you forget the last ten minutes

OT-... Can't think of bad trilogy enders. Need to see more movies then.

I'm glad he finally won one. Keanu made it happen.

Hey! Waterworld is a great movie, just ask anyone who's actually seen it. It was only a box office flop because they let the budget get so out of control that making a profit was basically impossible.

As for the two they were talking about, eh. I haven't seen the third Matrix movie, but the third Pirates movie did suck. It just felt like they decided to make an entire movie out of what should have been the last 20 minutes of the second one -- which, from what I've heard, is literally what happened with The Matrix. It wouldn't surprise me if they both had the same problem.

I'll admit to enjoying both movies, but then ever since Return of the Jedi came out I've accepted that the 3rd movie in a trilogy will most likely be of lesser quality unless the writers plotted the trilogy from the beginning--which Lucas, whom I won't grief, didn't.

The only real exception to this was The Return of the King.

No, I won't get into a debate on which trilogy was better--Star Wars or LOTR. To me they're like Matrix 3 and Pirates 3; so different in genre that they aren't quite comparable.

P.S.-----"Talanted"? "Baffoon"?

Were those misspellings deliberate? I hope so. They really distracted me.

Captcha: cheese steak

Thanks, captcha. Now I've got the munchies.

Personally I don't understand a lot of the crap that the 3rd Pirates movie gets. I'm not saying it was fantastic, but indeed a lot of people say it was utter crap. A common theme that's established in the first movie is the mystery and magic of the open seas.

Pirates 1: A ghost ship run by undead pirates that are cursed by Aztec gold, and only returning each and every gold piece will undo the curse.

Pirates 2: A mythological character terrorizes the sea in his search for Cap'n Jack Sparrow, even unleashing a mythological beast to hunt him down. And if you happen to find a treasure chest with a living heart inside of it, you can use it as leverage to control said mythological character.

Pirates 3: A journey to a magical realm that can arguably be classified as a pocket dimension in order to Cap'n Jack so the summit of the Pirate Lords can begin. This leads to a climactic battle between freedom-loving rebels and the iron fist of authority taking place around a massive maelstrom conjured by an angry sea goddess.

I'll also add that while I've always seen the climactic fight between Neo and Agent Smith as being VERY DBZ-esque, I've never found that to be a good selling point for the movie. :P

erbkaiser:

Scars Unseen:
When I click on the video I get an error:

200, Stream not found, NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound, clip: '[Clip] 'http://video2.themis-media.com/766d9ea2d7d02d7e2dec3a7c47146f9d/mp4_hq/escapist/no-right-answer/32d898279e6b94179b03592f6d732ca0.mp4''

Yeah, getting the same error no matter how many times I try to reload the page. Even cleared my cache to no avail. The file is simply missing.

Yeah, I'm getting the same error, and I refreshed like 30 times D:

Pirates of the Caribbean was already shit from the get-go.

The Matrix was actually a good movie which then went to shit, because they decided on making unnecessary sequels.

Oh and Chris, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World... Just so you know.

Wriggle Wyrm:

Return of the king. Back To the Future Part 3. The Bourne Ultimatum. Die Hard With a Vengeance. Toy Story 3.

I don't know wom to lead know but the video is not working

So many bad third installments...
Matrix Revolutions, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Spider-man 3, X-men 3: Last Stand, Blade Trinity, Batman Forever, Superman III, Terminator 3, Aliens 3...

I have to go with Revolutions because the first movie was so good but they wasted all the potential with it being a virtual world so anything could happen but its all the same dudes shooting in bullet time and kung-fu wirework. And they went waaaaaay overboard with the CGI that it stopped feeling like a movie and more like I was just watching someone play a videogame.

I actually very much enjoyed Pirates 3. Matrix 3, not quite as much, but I also liked that, too. I admit that the prior two in both cases were absolutely, 100% raw, unfiltered betterness, but I enjoyed them.

Firefilm:

Thunderous Cacophony:
That was good, but why don't you have a table? PAX lets you set up in the middle of a hall, but you can't use a lousy card table for 15 minutes?

Also, listing great actors in Pirates of the Carribean and not mentioning Geoffrey Rush?

I think if we would have used a table, it would have had to be paid for. Kinda like no parking zones that you don't get a ticket for if your car is still running. The moment you turn your car off it becomes a "park" and you get a ticket. As long as we were standing, it wasn't a booth and we didn't have to pay.

Ah, you're not unimportant, you're just cheap :) Well, it was a good episode in any case. I was just wondering why you had to do the last few with your lower bodies exposed.

karloss01:
I still don't understand what people had against Matrix: Revolutions...

It was made as a war movie...without an actual real-life war. Also, the big god-computer saying

"uhh, I don't know how to delete all the Agent Smith files, so can you punch him with your man fists for like 20 minutes?"

And here I was expecting X-men 3 Vs Spiderman 3...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here