Zero Punctuation: Borderlands 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

DJShire:
I've watched several people from TGWTG on a stream play BL2 and everything said by Yahtzee was right.

Bored-er lands > Snore derlands

Tippy:

SanAndreasSmoke:
So I'm NOT the only one that thinks he's slowed down his pace.

And I think what's missing from his newer reviews is the sense of enjoyment he seemed to get from critiquing a game - whether he hated the game or not, Yahtzee just seemed more enthusiastic in the older videos.

He still has some pretty good jokes, but the tone seems much less light-hearted.

Dunno, maybe it's just me.

It's not just you, you could feel the genuine passion in his voice (whether it be raw anger or gleeful joy) and kinda get pulled along with it. I could literally FEEL his frustration as he played through some terrible games and FEEL his joy as he played the good ones.

I don't think it's him though, it's more likely what the game industry does to a reviewer. Even the most tank-armored reviewers/critics aren't immune to getting slowly worn down by game after game.

Frankly I used to simply sit there sometimes in AWE at how Yahtzee could spend week after week dragging himself through some of the titles he's reviewed so far. Sure he was getting paid for it, but it still takes a certain kind of person to drag themselves for 10-30+ hours through games, everything cliche endlessly repeated, every plot endlessly predictable, etc etc and still look forward to next week. He may have been throwing jokes of being super-cynical, but looking at what he does it would be hard NOT to become one. Staying positive after so many years would be like a veteran heart surgeon to was still scared of seeing blood splattering everywhere.

It's literally a thousand times harder than say...a movie critic, who just has to sit there for 2 hours eating popcorn once a week (or fortnight).

I totally agree with that. I can imagine how Yahtzee's job can wear him down at times, but I definitely appreciate him doing it.

His reviews still give me another thing to look forward to on Wednesdays.

LittleJoeRambler:

My Steam in-game time clocked at 42 hours for my first run-through of the game, start to finish, with plenty of dying (due to my own personal retardation), random exploring and probably 75% of the side-quests completed. If you cut out the non-essentials (like most of the side quests and exploration), you could probably cut that down to 30 hours (if not further). 10 hours to write a review and make a 5 minute video brings it to a normal 40-hour work week.

And then people would bitch that he didn't bother with the sidequests or exploration, which are big parts of the game, regardless.

However, your concept of "probably" still involves an asspull.

Regardless, game reviewers are asked to take on games and put out the same content as other reviewers. Music CDs top out at 80 minutes and average about 45 these days. Most books can be knocked off in a weekend at worst. Movies are around 90 minutes, with a high of 3-ish hours.

Games? A 4-6 hours is standard for shooter campaigns, much higher for RPGs and the likes.

I'd also add that writing and playing are not discrete elements and can greatly expand the time.

And finally on that note, other reviewers are expected to go through the material multiple times; it's rare to see a movie reviewed by a professional based on one screening. that's pretty much a vlog. The time involvement in games reviewing is already high.

I understand that Yahtzee is a busy guy (Mana Bar and Extra Punctuation obligations as well as everything else he does), and spending 40 hours on a single game in a week is probably unreasonable. But I don't think you should make comments on a story you haven't finished. It's like reading the first two chapters of a 20-chapter book and making your judgment there. I can also understand saying something like "the gameplay was so bad I just couldn't force myself to finish the story quest," but it doesn't really make critiques on the story any more valid. Besides, if that's the case, there should be plenty of material to come up with for a critique without having to reference the story at all.

The "other stuff" is a big element, too. Which is kind of a major problem.

But beyond that, it's surprisingly unlikely that the story will ever evolve in quality from the first few hours. My only real complaint here is the time from beating that boss he cakewalked over to finding out IT'S A TRAP!!! is like two minutes, so there's no excuse for complaining. But while I like the game, the story isn't exactly the stuff of legends, or even casual thought.

I agree with several of his points. After a while, it all started to feel really tedious, many of the guns are only slight upgrades, and hunting through a thousand boxes for ammo and money gets really boring. But while health does the standard regeneration thing as well as there being health drops, Borderlands 2's enemies don't typically drop enough ammo to keep you going. Searching for ammo in this game feels like searching for medkits in other games, it adds a level of urgency to all your actions. The inventory system is still pretty bad, though not as bad as the first one, and going through your stuff to sell it or mark it as trash still feels sticky.

Ammo is pretty plentiful, especially given most areas won't consume resources fast enough between Ammo Dumps. I'm also pretty sure health doesn't regenerate without certain mods or abilities; if I take the mod off my Siren, for example, she (and my teammates) stop gaining health. Your shields do regenerate, but that may not help you out much. Health drops are a non-issue and while I agree box-hunting is a chore, it's kind of a minor niggle. Especially compared to things like the driving and inventory.

The major difference I can see between Borderlands 2 and most other shooters is what you're rewarded with. With other shooters, clearing an area means moving to the next one, i.e. your reward is advancement towards the resolution. But with Borderlands 1 and 2, you're rewarded with loot to pick up, and advancement towards the resolution. You glut on the little rewards until you don't really even want the big one anymore. That's why I think I started getting bored with looting; towards the end of the game I started ignoring everything that wasn't purple or better. Borderlands 2 throws thousands of green and hundreds of blue items at you, to the point that you start seeing them like you would white items, and digging through that mountain of refuse takes FOREVER. One of the game's selling points ultimately became one of the things I didn't really like about it.

Even towards the end game, you can get common items that are better than the rare stuff. I can see why you might not want to do it, but this IS a shoot and loot game.

Personally, I rarely take pleasure in this sort of thing, but an action/shooter RPG with looting elements? It tickles me just right. If it's not for you, it's not for you, but this is what others want. the same sort of people who left-click endlessly to see a marginal improvement in a stat.

The only problem I have with the looting concept in this game, really is the issue of the RNG being a cruel deity. I went for like ten levels without a decent shield and it hampered me (and the team) greatly. In my other game so far, I've had horrible luck with SMGs. Now, thankfully you can share weapons with different characters you use, but that doesn't automatically solve the problem.

However, you're treating loot as optional. I'm not sure why something which has become optional is a liability.

DJShire:
I've watched several people from TGWTG on a stream play BL2 and everything said by Yahtzee was right.

Especially valid, since a lot of the complaints are about how the game PLAYS, and the guys who play games on TGWTG tend to be half-incompetent.

1. Borderlands came out in 2009, not 2010.
2. "That" boss was easy for a reason (as every man and his dog has already noted)
3. Most games have stop and start gameplay, it's not unique to Borderlands.
4. On consoles, the vehicles handle fine. Don't know what his problem is.
5. The UI is great. Same as above.

I know that the big Y exaggerates the negatives and down plays the positives, but this was a pretty poor review.

Zachary Amaranth:

And then people would bitch that he didn't bother with the sidequests or exploration, which are big parts of the game, regardless.

However, your concept of "probably" still involves an asspull.

Regardless, game reviewers are asked to take on games and put out the same content as other reviewers. Music CDs top out at 80 minutes and average about 45 these days. Most books can be knocked off in a weekend at worst. Movies are around 90 minutes, with a high of 3-ish hours.

Games? A 4-6 hours is standard for shooter campaigns, much higher for RPGs and the likes.

I'd also add that writing and playing are not discrete elements and can greatly expand the time.

And finally on that note, other reviewers are expected to go through the material multiple times; it's rare to see a movie reviewed by a professional based on one screening. that's pretty much a vlog. The time involvement in games reviewing is already high.

The "other stuff" is a big element, too. Which is kind of a major problem.

But beyond that, it's surprisingly unlikely that the story will ever evolve in quality from the first few hours. My only real complaint here is the time from beating that boss he cakewalked over to finding out IT'S A TRAP!!! is like two minutes, so there's no excuse for complaining. But while I like the game, the story isn't exactly the stuff of legends, or even casual thought.

I completed all the side quests up until I reached the "Toil and Trouble" story mission; what percent would you call that? 75% seemed like a reasonable number but honestly I can't say that I know with any level of certainty.

And yeah, side quests and exploration are huge parts of the game, that's one of the things that makes it good. I can't account for anyone else's playing speed, true, but based on my own playing experience, it'd take well over 40 hours of just playtime to complete everything, outside of writing and doing the review. So while I think finishing the story campaign isn't necessarily an unreasonable expectation (simply because of how much time I spent not doing the story missions), getting through everything else would be, because that's where most of the game is. As is, it feels like Yahtzee played the game for like 5 hours, hammered out a review and called it quits, and it's disappointing.

I'll reiterate; He shouldn't have made comments on the story if he didn't finish it. Like you said, it's not really even worth casual thought, and there was probably better and funnier material later in the game to rag on, and I feel an opportunity was missed. Like how you can die a thousand times and get respawned over and over and over, but Jack obviously wants you dead, and you're being respawned by HIS COMPANY. I don't know.

Ammo is pretty plentiful, especially given most areas won't consume resources fast enough between Ammo Dumps. I'm also pretty sure health doesn't regenerate without certain mods or abilities; if I take the mod off my Siren, for example, she (and my teammates) stop gaining health. Your shields do regenerate, but that may not help you out much. Health drops are a non-issue and while I agree box-hunting is a chore, it's kind of a minor niggle. Especially compared to things like the driving and inventory.

Even towards the end game, you can get common items that are better than the rare stuff. I can see why you might not want to do it, but this IS a shoot and loot game.

Personally, I rarely take pleasure in this sort of thing, but an action/shooter RPG with looting elements? It tickles me just right. If it's not for you, it's not for you, but this is what others want. the same sort of people who left-click endlessly to see a marginal improvement in a stat.

The only problem I have with the looting concept in this game, really is the issue of the RNG being a cruel deity. I went for like ten levels without a decent shield and it hampered me (and the team) greatly. In my other game so far, I've had horrible luck with SMGs. Now, thankfully you can share weapons with different characters you use, but that doesn't automatically solve the problem.

However, you're treating loot as optional. I'm not sure why something which has become optional is a liability.

I played solo, and found myself scrounging for ammo late in the game (much less so early on) and relying on my turret(s) to do a pretty significant portion of the killing. My Eridium all came from random drops and looting chests, so I didn't have my SDUs maxed out either. Maybe that contributed to my problems with ammo, but it did add something to the game for me: a sense of urgency for finding ammo mid-fight, and I'd count it as a point in the game's favor. As for health, all of the characters have some sort of health replenishing ability that reduces or eliminates the need to hunt down health packs, so finding health pickups in the late game was less problematic than finding ammo. I'd imagine that Salvador wouldn't have that problem, but I did, and I liked it.

As for loot, it got to a point where I'd upgraded my shotgun, sniper rifle and assault rifle SDUs as much as I could and had first level SDUs for all the rest of the ammo types. Combine that with my ammo problems for those guns, and I wasn't even looking at pistols, rocket launchers or SMGs because even one that left all my current weapons in the dust didn't look that great when I'd likely run out of ammo for it in the course of a single skirmish. I was still looting boxes for ammo and money, but other than boss loot and the occasional interesting-looking drop, I ended up ignoring most of the guns, shields and grenade mods.

I liked the game, I liked the first one too, but I'm gonna wait a while after release to get Borderlands 3 (if they make one). I enjoyed my time with it, but I think I'm satisfied with what it has to offer that I'm not clamoring for more.

Zachary Amaranth:
Driving really is ass. There's no excuse for this.

I think the game is awesome, though, therefore this review is bad and unfunny and Yahtzee should be ashamed of himself for eating puppies.

...am I doing this right?

It's the same steering mechanic used in Halo and a lot of people didn't complain about that. I'm assuming that you played it on the PC? The majority of console users I've seen playing love that kind of mechanic where people with a mouse and keyboard hate it. As do I, but it's tolerable.

Hrmm. I thought the vehicles handled fine, and found the UI to be decent.

But there is very little that is explicitly different from Borderlands 1, which I also found boring. So I found this boring. All wallpaper, indeed. Many things in life are, and many people buy into them.

I think the dialogue is more interesting this time around. I mean overall it feels like a giant DLC (like comparing fallout 3 to NV) but with a bit more difficulty and new levels. I'm still having fun with it.

I'm not sure how much replay value it has though tbh.

I didn't agree with this review. I think Yahtzee is burned out on loot, after playing WoW and Guild Wars 2. Borderlands 2 is a slow burn game that doesn't really suck you in until maybe 10 or so hours.

The key thing in this game are the weapons. They always feel fresh, new and interesting. Not to mention the skill tree, class mods, and grenades give you a lot of freedom to create crazy classes with a unique feel. Also, the game's AI has improved dramatically, and there is a much greater variety of them too. Fighting a group of Hyperion robots requires a different strategy than fighting bandits.

Most of the fun comes from experimenting with new weapons, new skills, and different classes. I can see why people would find it boring. You have to be a certain kind of person to appreciate this kind of game and play it for dozens of hours.

It's so amusing to see all the fanboys bring out all the shields and go "NOOOO.YAHTEE U R WRONG!!!U DIDN'T PLAY THE GAEM RITE!!!!ONLI SURTAIN KIND OF PPL CAN APPRECIATE DIS MASTERPIECE!!"

Frankly, how borderlands became so popular in the first place is a surprise to me. B1 was crap, go here, shoot a few skags, come back.Also, don't forget your other assignment - go there, shoot some skags and come back!!!!You don't have to be (and i quote the person above me)"a certain kind of person to appreciate this kind of game and play it for dozens of hours."Sorry, a game that takes 10 hours to suck you in doesn't say well about itself.A game should be gripping from the start, but then again Gearbox knew that the fanboys will use the whole "Hey...play for 7 more hours!You'll find it fun!!!PROMISE" to their death.

This is why games like B2 exist, because they rack up so many brainwashed fanboys that the people who made the game are only catering to the horde, and not to other sensible people.I feel that i have wasted money on B2, and sadly B2 will just rot away in my backlog.

SoMuchSpace:
Frankly, how borderlands became so popular in the first place is a surprise to me.

Probably because it is a breed apart from the 'generic' war-simulation games that crowd the FPS market.

Agree with the FO3/NV comparison in terms of not enough changing. Nicer AI, some better characters, environments & quests, sure. But the core mechanics are the same, and still unrewarding (I don't feel more powerful at higher levels).

punipunipyo:

NO, It's Borderlands 2, but you'll have to play the PC version to know the difference...

This game driving sux, yes, but that's all I can agreed up on....

I bet he didn't play through the game, and he obviously sux at it, because you will ONLY enjoy it if you discover the intricacy of the battle mechanics and how the skills WILL MORE THAN DOUBLE YOUR KILL RATE IF YOU COMPLEMENT WITH YOUR PARTNERS... wait... he solo play it... crap...

The game is made with passion, how many games ACTUALLY MAKE NEW FEATURES FOR NEWGAME+? this game does! some bosses.guns/enemies/mechanics DOES NOT SHOW UP ON FIRST PLAY THROUGH! Basically, the first game through is the game's(the game play part) Tutorial! so.. yeah, assumed he DIDN'T finished the first pass through... HE DIDN'T EVEN FINISHED THE TUTORIAL!~ good luck reviewing the game play at that point, story is not that bad to me either, but the game kinda "Tell" you the story rather than "showing" you... game play is AMAZING~ and you REALLY NEED TO THINK YOUR PLAYSTYLE to match your skills, this IS LABLED AS AN ACTION RPG, think Diablo, but using DOOM engine....

If it was Borderland 2 as in actually 2 it would be a much bigger improvement. After watching TotalBiscuit play it and listened to his points I'll go with his opinion over any fan at the moment. As Fans tend to hype the game up like mad.

But from what I saw was about 90% the same.

1 active skill for each character. Boring mind you, and the reason Diablo 2 lasted so long was because it plenty of skills for you to use.
I'd at least had hoped for 2 main skills that you could either have at once or switch out. I'd prefer 3 of them minimum and it isn't hard to come up with skills. What is more insulting is that the skills are slight variation of the ones in the first games with the exception of some that are pure copies.

So much about love there like you claimed it had gotten.

The entire last part is just hilarious. In Borderland 1 you just picked certain skills and never really moved from it unless you picked a different type of weapon. I doubt Borderlands 2 are that much different on it.

It generally boiled down to a good weapon and shield in the end on the first game. Though some monsters in NewGame+ where almost immortal even with a damn good weapon.

The game also suffer from making the game more boring with more players. I don't want to fire twice as much as before if one more guy joins in. They could add more monsters but don't boost their health. One reason why playing alone could be more fun because your weapon feels powerful and the areas gets cleared quicker. With more players things just doesn't get more fun. It get more tedious. Diablo 3 had the same problem. I tried to play Coop with my brother and a friend but when we where 3 people the monsters just go so bloody powerful all of sudden. Even with 3 people it wasn't fun. Playing alone was more fun as I felt more powerful.

Borderlands 2 is just Borderlands 1.5.

They actually added a story that somewhat works.
Improved the shooting part a bit.
Made weapons stand out a bit more.

That's about it. It's a small improvement.

BL2 is one of those games that if you didn't like the previous game then it's not going to change your mind. But if you did enjoy the last game then you will probably love this one because it is a noticeable improvement in many areas, it just doesn't do anything to really shake things up or change the basic formula. Whether or not that is a bad thing is a matter of personal taste.

Also when it comes to games like this I think that by playing it alone he is doing it wrong. Well not really wrong but games like these are meant to be played with other people so in playing alone he isn't going to get the most out of it. When you have more people playing with you the enemies get tougher, the loot drops are better, and its much more fun because you have backup and a friend to talk to.

I can't argue with most of his complaints but at the same time I feel that this is just one of those games that you will either love or hate.

The first one kind of seems like a tech demo for the second one to me. And if you liked the tech demo, you'll love the actual finished product.

I honestly thought Yahtzee wasn't going to review Borderlands 2. I thought he was going to give a blurb in his Extra Punctuation about the fact that it was more of the same, so he wasn't going to bother. I'm a lot more disappointed in this review than I am with Borderlands 2 at this point.

On a side note, do the people who take every ZP review at face value only have, like, three games? It seems like that would be the case, since Yahtzee never mentions the good parts of the games he plays because they don't make good jokes.

Oh wow he hated it.

Oh wow nobody really cares.

Oh wow, I'm, still enjoying the fuck out of it and will probably roll up 3 more characters.

Oh wow, it'll still become one of the best selling and best reviewed games of 2012.

Yaaaay!

I never played the first one, but I disagree with Yahtzee in that I found Borderlands 2 more frustrating than boring. Perhaps that's just because I suck at FPS games, or maybe a PS3 controller isn't the best control method for an FPS.

Wakikifudge:

hazabaza1:

Wakikifudge:

While normally I would agree with you, he's actually speaking mostly the truth. Yahtzee found it boring, that's an opinion. But he really did say some blatantly wrong things. Here's an example:

He doesn't like having to hold x to pick up money and ammo. This was the case in the first game and it was a common complaint. Borderlands 2 addresses this complaint having you pick these items up by simply walking over/near them. I don't know how he could have missed this if he has actually played even remotely far into the game.

Loot in containers has to be picked up. Only loot dropped from enemies has the auto-pick up thing.

I don't know how you could miss this is you have actually played even remotely far into the game. :p

He made it sound like you had to press X for ALL drops but I'll give you this one.

How about this: he complains about the enemy variety in the first game and rightly so. You fought about 5 different enemy types for most of the game. He then says that this is the same case for the second game. Borderlands 2 has a massive variety of enemies. There around triple the enemy types and the old ones have been significantly fleshed out. This isn't an opinion, this is a fact.

He says that the skills of the Vault Hunters are different superficially from the previous ones but not in any practical way. You don't even need to play the game to see that this is obviously false. Just watch a couple gameplay videos and you will see that all of the Vault Hunter action skills are completely different with the only exception being Axton. But even his turret is waaaaay more useful than Roland's.

He complains about how you were so easily able to defeat Wilhelm even though he crushed the precious Vault Hunters. This is actually explained later in the game and someone else already pointed it out so I'm not going to go into detail.

He also says that most of the missions involve retrieving some piece of equipment that was stolen. Don't know how he came to this conclusion because I can't even think of any missions like this off the top of my head. There are probably a couple but he's blowing it way out of proportion.

I will say that one other thing he got right is that the vehicles handle badly. It's annoying but since driving isn't really a huge part of the game, it doesn't bother me too much.

This is probably why I didn't care much for this ZP, because there are a lot of things he said that were blatantly false about the game and while I already expected him to hate it as much as BL1, I had assumed he would of played it enough to at least pick up on the differences.

Of course, there's no reason to point this out because I'm sure it will be met with the usual responses of how I shouldn't take ZP seriously or that Yahtzee is justified in being wrong about the facts because it's his opinion.

Oh well, looking forward to next week's ZP now!

Why are everyone bitching about Yathzee not playing co-op? I played co-op and it was shit the enemies were bullet-sponges and my team mates seemed to try to speed run the game instead of trying to have fun.

It might be better with friends but everything is more fun with friends so that's not an excuse.

Besides, did a great man not once say that a good game has to be able to stand up on single-player alone?

Really the thing to look at here is that Borderlands (1 AND 2) is also an MMO by technicality, and we all know full well how Yahtzee hates those. Which is by all means fair, we all have a genre we don't like to some extent, and even those of us who play MMO's can look back on certain things and see the frivolity of it. But we still enjoy it, so more power to us I suppose.

In any case, seeing as he's played the best that MMO's have to offer (IE: WoW, Monster Hunter, DCUO) I think it's fair to say he might as well stop reviewing them, since it's clear he hates everything about the fundamentals of an MMO game. I mean let's face it Yahtzee... 'Go to _____, Collect 10 _____, and kill 15 _____' is pretty much cemented into the MMO formula.

On a side note, I'm amazed at the number of people having issues with the driving controls. Really, the first game's controls were very simple to me. Then again, my best gaming skills lie within driving games, but even so I'm sure I've seen much worse in much more popular games. (GTA IV anyone?)

Frankly I'm not really amazed he didn't finish the story. He sounded bored begining to end and even stated it himself (y'know, "this game bores me to fucking tears!"). I understand that his integrity is a bit compromised for not really going through the game, but then again, he didn't like the first one, hates games that rely on loot (dungeon crawlers have gotten it really bad from Yahtzee). He basically gave it the Gears of War 3 treatment of just pointing out how tedious the game is for him.

Trilliandi:
-snip-
On a side note, I'm amazed at the number of people having issues with the driving controls. Really, the first game's controls were very simple to me.

Everybody who hasn't got any problems with driving is playing the console release which pretty much uses the same controls as most driving games do. On the PC, however, using W and S for going back and forward and using the mouse for looking and steering is very uncomfortable and non-standard. They tried to fix what wasn't broken.

Ammo:
I only seem to find a lot of Shotgun ammo I don't use because I like to keep enemies at a safe distance away from me. This can get to be a problem in the beginning of the game when the only decent weapons are the gearbox sniper rifle and a Revolver. Also, if you don't like carrying a lot of weapons with you like me and instead have only two that use the same kind of ammo, then this probably is a big problem.

Weapons:
1.You CAN find decent guns at shops (I got a 168dmg sniper rifle from Marcus when everything I was looting where 70-100dmg ones).
2.Finding a decent Assault Rifle is doable, but admittedly too hard.
3.Good SMGs aren't too easy to find at first, but then again maybe I just didn't get lucky.

I'm soloing a Siren at level 14. I'm mainly using a 170 damage,4 Rounds per shot Torgue AR(aquired at level 14),an Elemental SMG (level 10) , a Vladof Sniper (level 12),some sort of shotgun I found and a 1456 damage Rocket Launcher I got at level 12.

I gotta say, I'm a bit on the fence with Yahtzee's video,

Ill agree that it could have done things better (multiple mission selection, car handling).

But, at the same time I feel that he has missed some key points in comparison to BL1, for instance; The environments are so much more diverse and it doesn't feel like your running through the middle east the entire game. The enemies are loads different (apart from the obvious bandits and skags). Critical hits aren't always at the head, which became rather monotonous after a while in BL1. Weapons are so much different than the first one. It actually matters what brand you use.

Granted, this game certainly isn't for everyone.
But that said, I have found it really enjoyable both in Single and Multi Player.

Why do people take it personally when Yahtzee says he doesn't like a game? He doesn't like it, you do. What's the problem. You yourself have done nothing wrong.

NoAccountNeeded:
Sometimes I think Yahtzee lacks comprehension. Just 5 Minutes after beating that "too easy" boss it should be obvious why it was so easy.
Or did he stop playing right after that boss?

tmande2nd:
Good.

Another reason not to buy it.

God... people are actually using zero punctuation to decide whether or not to buy a game?

Welp, looks like they're not buying anything ever again...

And he didn't even rag on about it having a minecraft reference like he did about Castlevania Lords of Shadow having a Portal reference.

Well, I'm bored. Time for some ala-carte commentary.

Chaos Marine:

It's the same steering mechanic used in Halo and a lot of people didn't complain about that. I'm assuming that you played it on the PC? The majority of console users I've seen playing love that kind of mechanic where people with a mouse and keyboard hate it. As do I, but it's tolerable.

I'm playing on the PC (only), don't own a 360 or PS3, and I have no problems with the driving controls. They were greatly improved from BL1, where driving felt way too..."floaty". Not just in vehicle gravity, but in how they "glided" over terrain. It felt sort of like turning an air-hockey table on and off.

Burnouts and hand-braking lets me do crazy things with the default Light Runner, and power-slide T-stops with the Bandit Utility Truck.

MrGalactus:
Why do people take it personally when Yahtzee says he doesn't like a game? He doesn't like it, you do. What's the problem. You yourself have done nothing wrong.

It isn't a matter of Yahtzee liking a game or not.
It's when he justifies his position with exaggerations, misinformation, and sometimes flat-out lies that some of us have problems with.

Re-read the complaints.
Some of his points aren't open to subjective interpretation, and are in fact, mistakes (like his comment on the Wilhelm fight).

SoMuchSpace:
It's so amusing to see all the fanboys bring out all the shields and go "NOOOO.YAHTEE U R WRONG!!!U DIDN'T PLAY THE GAEM RITE!!!!ONLI SURTAIN KIND OF PPL CAN APPRECIATE DIS MASTERPIECE!!"

Frankly, how borderlands became so popular in the first place is a surprise to me. B1 was crap, go here, shoot a few skags, come back.Also, don't forget your other assignment - go there, shoot some skags and come back!!!!You don't have to be (and i quote the person above me)"a certain kind of person to appreciate this kind of game and play it for dozens of hours."Sorry, a game that takes 10 hours to suck you in doesn't say well about itself.A game should be gripping from the start, but then again Gearbox knew that the fanboys will use the whole "Hey...play for 7 more hours!You'll find it fun!!!PROMISE" to their death.

This is why games like B2 exist, because they rack up so many brainwashed fanboys that the people who made the game are only catering to the horde, and not to other sensible people.I feel that i have wasted money on B2, and sadly B2 will just rot away in my backlog.

Your entire post is an "Ad-Hominem" fallacy, possibly a "Poisoning the Well".
Going by your own logic, I can call you a brainwashed Yahtzee fanboy sheep.

Duffeknol:

That's a pretty dumb thing to say. It's very easy to distinguish between little nitpicks Yahtzee points out for entertainment value and valid criticism he comes up with. *snip* Dismissing that as 'just being entertainment' is completely missing the point.

This is a common defense I see for Yahtzee's videos, and it's pretty weak.

"Oh, it's humorous and informative, ergo, still credible"
Humorous, definitely. His wit and wordplay are very very good.

Informative? Always questionable, especially when Yahtzee gets facts wrong or ignores them for the sake of a joke. And for this reason alone you should not use his reviews for any shopping guidance.

Then there's the problem of Bias.

Take one of his videos, separate his "serious" critical points from his humor, and weigh the results against each other just point by point. Subtracting hyperbole and jokes, you will find that they are overwhelmingly negatively bias.
Hell, you can make adjustments to weight nitpicks even less than other complaints and it will STILL come out as being highly negative.

Worse, it's a problem he manufactures. He commented early in his videos that "nobody likes it when he's being positive" (paraphrased), and that's unfortunately a product of the internet hate machine.
Hell, there's an entire internet business built on this premise.

Finally, his excuse of "Assume everything I don't mention is perfectly fine" doesn't fly if we're to take him seriously.
I suspect it's just an excuse way to keep the video short and manageable for a weekly show, which again, plays entirely to the strengths of the HUMOR, but is an anathema for critical review because we can never see how he draws comparisons.

The mark of a reliable review is how the good compares with the bad.
If you only ever talk about the shit, and emphasize the shit, then everything looks like shit regardless of it's positive qualities. Granted, some games *are* nothing but shit (Too Human), but not *everything* can be shit.

I didn't like Borderlands 1 for the same reasons Yahtzee mentioned back in his earlier review, and I did play it with friends, and it was still shit. It sucks when I'm trying to explore the world and they go off doing quests and missions so when I arrive to do stuff, it's all killed or looted. If anything, playing with other people made the experience worse for me.

Seeing as how we were on the same page for Borderlands 1, I'm going to continue holding off on buying Borderlands 2 because I expected I would dislike it as much. More so with all the references I keep hearing are in it. I'm not against Easter Eggs, but this game seems to make pop-culture references all over the place. It comes off as more annoying than impressive.

I played Borderlands 1 and liked it somewhat. Got kind of boring after I beat it and rolled 2 or 3 more characters. I haven't played Borderlands 2 yet.

But I might have to reconsider that after I saw this. This is from the upcoming DLC, the Mechromancer skill tree:

I promise you this isn't Photoshoped.

Every single one of those skills is a reference to FiM. So yeah, I might need to pick that up =).

Zefar:
Borderlands 2 is just Borderlands 1.5.

They actually added a story that somewhat works.
Improved the shooting part a bit.
Made weapons stand out a bit more.

That's about it. It's a small improvement.

What about the unique builds you can use with characters?
How each active skill is modified by the skill tree?
What about the better quest writing and now each side quest has its own resolution that adds to the universe of borderlands?
How about the increase emphasis on backstory and lore in addition to character backgrounds new and old?
More enemy types and enviorments.
An improved skill tree with the challenge system that allows players to select upgrades in what they want.

Is it really just a 1.5 game when almost everything was overhauld?

snowfi6916:
I played Borderlands 1 and liked it somewhat. Got kind of boring after I beat it and rolled 2 or 3 more characters. I haven't played Borderlands 2 yet.

But I might have to reconsider that after I saw this. This is from the upcoming DLC, the Mechromancer skill tree:

I promise you this isn't Photoshoped.

Every single one of those skills is a reference to FiM. So yeah, I might need to pick that up =).

Ugh, i'll stick with commando thanks

I was really looking forward to his take on the dialogue; I thought Anthony Burch did a fantastic job. I feel somehow deprived not hearing Yahtzee's humor clash with the tongue and cheek of the game conversations.

Eh? Shub-Nigurath (sp?) ? Wasn't he/she/it the final boss from the 1st Quake?

Darth_Payn:
Eh? Shub-Nigurath (sp?) ? Wasn't he/she/it the final boss from the 1st Quake?

The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young, as imagined by Howard P. Lovecraft and given birth to by id.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here