Let's Remake Star Wars

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Brilliant. We can do a gritty reboot of the entire series. Hell, we can even cast Katee Sackoff as Han Solo.

... I'm not sure if I'm being sarcastic or not...

Smeagol150:
Blasphemy! I cannot see a good reason for this, other then to get George to leave them alone.

Re-make them without Lucas, of course! And we all know the prequels could use better writing, ant the originals could use better visuals. Middle ground, here we come.

I would like to see this happen, However i think the internet would meltdown. You remember the outrage of when they replaced Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Christensen at the end of Jedi. Now think of when they have a remake with a complete new cast.

Still I think it is a great Idea, and maybe we would get a 7,8,&9 finally if the remakes do well.

Vanguard1219:
Brilliant. We can do a gritty reboot of the entire series. Hell, we can even cast Katee Sackoff as Han Solo.

... I'm not sure if I'm being sarcastic or not...

Leave Leia as a woman, but recast Han as a girl. I would love to see that.

I'm now imagining 1970's era Carrie Fisher making out with Katee Sackoff.

Remaking star wars is almost tautologous considering that it almost made entirely of bits and pieces of earlier films.

I recently rewatched little lord Fauntleroy(1936) and realised, hey thats Anakin. and that is far from the first time this has happened.

I want movies based on the X-Wing series. Please tell me I'm not the only one here that's read those books.

If nothing else, would the prospect of simply making A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of The Jedi all over again from the ground up not sound like something he'd be interested in doing? And maybe, just maybe, if he was finally able to make Star Wars in what he considers the right way ... might he not be more inclined to finally just leave the originals unmolested?

Penny Arcade already answered the question... 8 years in advance.

Soviet Heavy:
Four reasons stacked against five hundred is not good odds or a good justification for remaking Star Wars.

Never tell me the odds!

I couldn't resist.

Ah... How would Hollywood do this today?

1)Take everything that made the original movie good & toss it out the window.
2)Make unnecessary changes to make it edgier.
3)Since it will obviously sell, stretch each part of the original trilogy into it's own trilogy to make as much money as possible.
4)If you let a director remake one of his own movies, he'll change the hell out of it selfishly. without consideration of the fans, to show how he's changed as an artist, resulting in both 1 & 2 happening.
5)Things get retconned, new plotholes are created.
6)Because of the reputation of the prequels & sequels, people will go in either fully expecting to hate the remake or with sky high expectations that won;t be met.

Bob, I may dislike you attidue to certain games, but when it comes to movies, you really now how to ingite the powder keg.

That said remake the Star Wars fils could be good. Though the fanbase should have there month ducktape, 3 times, and their hands tied up, with chains. Yea the star wars fanbase, one of the 10 worse out there. or top ten in possion of the worst vocal memebers.

Also the prequels are enjoyable. I grew on them, not the originals, I an just as nostalgia blinded as any fan of the originals is.

This is actually something I've considered before. A remake of the original Star Wars. Sure, it sounds sensible to a certain degree. But I think the notion underestimates the level of iconography associated with Star Wars now.
In a lot of ways the original trilogy was a perfect storm of great effects, great music, great sound design, great acting, quotable scripting, and savvy direction. As such, it's legacy is beyond just the characters. It's the hook shot of the Star Destroyer sweeping in above us on screen. It's the music that plays as Luke looks out across the binary sunset. It's even the cheesy costumes in the Cantina on Mos Eisley.
Star Wars is one of those rare cases where I'd say: just leave it be. Even if you did remake the film in a way that made it better (heightened drama in the script with foreknowledge of what was to come, as pointed out), it would never be as visionary or as iconic as the original. And even if it *was*, if it *was* somehow more iconic, with a better script and better characters and all of that, I'd only have one complaint:
"Sir, why the hell are you wasting all of this talent on a bloody remake?"

If it happened, I'd watch it. Yeah, I actually really liked the prequels, cry me a river.

disgruntledgamer:
George Goofus remakes Star wars and implements new bad ideas everyone else but him knows is bad every time he re-releases it.

Don't give that idiot anymore bad ideas he comes up with enough on his own.

It's his movie, a franchise he created, thus it shall be as he damn well pleases. If you can make a better Star Wars movie, please, oblige us. I'll be waiting for the announcement.

Oh, what's that? You're not a director? No experience in movie making and any of its fields? I guess I'll settle for Lucas' horrible ideas and you can bitch about said actual work on the internet.

To be honest, despite all the talk of Stars Wars being a universal hero's journey, I don't think it would "work" in today's world, at least not with American audiences. The originals were something of a product of their times. The USSR was a looming threat and the Second World War was more present in people's minds to escape to.

Since then the social narrative has moved on. The Soviet Union doesn't exist anymore, Nazis imagery has been way overused and all of those Al-Qaida types are a bunch of losers living in caves. There just aren't any credible external threats left.

That isn't to say good writers and directors couldn't think of something. I while ago I remember seeing a scene from some modern war movie. It started with an American cruiser was chasing after a small boat filled with terrorists and ended with the marines boarding it and ruthlessly killing everyone on board. There always seemed to be something familiar about it, and then I realized that it was unintentionally an almost an exact match for the opening scene of a New Hope.

This is the main problem, in the current climate there's is no way of creating a new version without addressing unfortunate implications, being completely tone deaf or pissing a lot of people off. And it's not just politics, basic movie criticism has gotten a lot harsher, Avatar for example, while having a viewpoint that most people probably shared still got raked over the coals.

But anyway, with all that has happened to the franchise in the last decade, the kindest thing we could do for it is take it behind the woodshed and tearfully give it both barrels.

Here's an idea, make some films set in the post Six era. Namely Adapting the following games into films:

Dark Forces 2, Mysteries of the Sith, Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy.

That way we can declare some of the stupider stuff of the Expanded Universe non canon and finally put the badassitude of Kyle Katarn on Screen and deal with the fact that there's still remnants of the Empire around. Also, we can finally say that Emperor Palpatine DID NOT RISE FROM THE DEAD! IT NEVER HAPPENED I TELL YOU! *Blocks ears* LALALALA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU! LALALALALALA!

Even without reading the other comments I'm pretty sure I'm joining the chorus here: remake it AFTER Lucas is dead, with someone else - anyone else - in charge.

Why a remake would be a bad idea:
It would be made for money, so who would be the director?
Michael Bay probably.
Who would be Luke, the guy we are supposed to identify with?
Shia LaBoeuf.
Who would be Darth Vader?
CGI.
Does that sound like something you would want?

Alright, but I have a question, and I'm probably the only one to answer it.

Vader. How do you portray him?

Do you continue with the current characterization of the already established movies? (ie. so steeped in misery and having lost everything has turned him into a cold, callous and cruel man whom you do not dare cross)

Or do you redesign his character starting at the end of "Sith"? (IE. Quiet, reserved, rules through calm fear with mannerisms and a tone of voice similar to Kreia, while still force choking the hell out of people. Someone who looks to be on the verge of suicide, but is putting it off for the sake of running his empire).

If you go with the first one, great. Call of James Earl Jones and start re-recording dialogue.

If you go with the second one... James Earl Jones WOULD work if his voice didn't have the robotic echo added in from the helmet. You could always remove the suit and let people see his burned face, but then they'd probably just recast Christensen since his voice and mannerisms fit that style far better.

Or hell even better. Just make KOTOR and KOTOR 2 into films. How awesome would it be to see Revan put on the big screen? Or Kreia?

If you do that, bring back Sara Kestleman to play Kreia.

Calibanbutcher:
Why a remake would be a bad idea:
It would be made for money, so who would be the director?
Michael Bay probably.
Who would be Luke, the guy we are supposed to identify with?
Shia LaBoeuf.
Who would be Darth Vader?
CGI.
Does that sound like something you would want?

I would guess...

1. George Lucas
2. Leonardo Dicaprio, Hayden Christensen, or Daniel Radcliffe (how awesome would that be?) since they're all relatively young and amazing actors.
3. Probably a guy in a suit again, with CGI for the lightsaber fights since actors can't move in that thing. And even if he was CGI, it'd be the easiest CGI in the world. Vader in the suit already has no facial expressions and moves in a clunky, awkward fashion and the suit is visually unremarkable. Making that look like the real thing would be no sweat and on no budget whatsoever.

the biggest reason not to is the latest trilogy... nuff said

Yeah why not, everything else is going to get remade eventually. Sigh. Plus this one doesn't sound like a terrible idea. Leave 'Empire' alone (that's pretty much the only truly great SW film) but the first one was always kind of meh to me. Not as meh as 'Jedi' but still.

Also in terms of sacred sci-fi that must never, ever EVER be remade, Star Wars isn't close to the top of that list. If they remake '2001', ever, for any reason, even if it's in the future and they have a future-science zombie Kubrick... That is the day the streets will run red with blood.

MovieBob:
What this reading ignores is that, thematically, Star Wars was every bit the personal expression of the Baby Boom generation's conflicted feelings of admiration for the "good war" fought by their fathers and the "bad war" slogging to a close in Vietnam as depicted in fellow late 70s smash Apocalypse Now.

I think this is reading too deeply into the material even though it fits the sociopolitical mindset of the era the original films were made in. Call me a clueless plebeian who wasn't alive at that time, and who shouldn't comment, but I just don't see any reconciliation of Vietnam in this, and only the most general bits of WW2.

OK, "Lets kill space Nazis together, go Rebels!" is an overarching theme, but not directly equatable to WW2.

I can see it most clearly in the X-Wing dogfights and even a bit in the character descriptions provided for Luke and Leia, but nowhere else; especially not Han (who ends up marrying Leia in the end...and I don't think many European nations consensually joined the USSR following WW2).

No analogy is perfect.

Star Wars works because the conflict in general is very very clearly defined.
Empire = Bad. Rebels = Good. This works brilliantly with Lucas's direction paying an homage to those old Sci-Fi and adventure serials.

As an analog for WW2, the US's involvement was justified and necessary.

The current War on Terror; particularly in the Middle East, isn't so cut and dry.

If Luke and Leia are the United States and Europe, then they are the new authority. They are the New Empire; a superpower collective with a powerful military force who intervenes in the affairs of smaller countries.

Remaking the Star Wars films would require a total rewrite of the roles; made worse by the complex social-political element deeply tied to the ongoing conflict.

We've already seen Lucas' attempts at political intrigue in the prequel trilogy (*snore*), and we got just a little taste of how he handles topical political bullshit in Crystal Skull.

I'm not afraid of social commentary in film (it is a very necessary, and powerful form of freedom of expression), but to date, I have yet to watch a movie that pulls off topical political bullshit without coming across as condescending, pretentious, and irritating.
It always ends up just dragging the film through the mud.

At best, it's incidental comedy.
At worst, it's insane raving like The Trial of Billy Jack.

LobsterFeng:
I want movies based on the X-Wing series. Please tell me I'm not the only one here that's read those books.

The first four Rogue Squadron books by Stackpole are among my favorite books series.
They aren't deep, but they are fun and have this shit called "Character development" that's in terribly short supply in the prequel trilogy.

Two random thoughts:

1. All these reboots only proves that Hollywood is completely bankrupt of ideas. It used to be they'd at least try to combine the best aspects of some previous hits in a new IP, but now it's just "redo this, but grittier and with more angst".

2. The prequels prove what happens when Lucas is given his "freedom": "Quirky" characters that lend next to nothing to the plot, an overreliance on CGI (I'd argue that the limitations of technology with the original trilogy forced a LOT of creativity) to show grand events that somehow manage to avoid any real emotional investment, and flat-out dereliction of duty to the actual story to the point where the principal romantic pair have all the chemistry of a lead ingot next to a plank of wood.

Also, were the lightsaber duels in the prequels any good? Sometimes it was hard to tell, what with the MTV-style "don't hold a shot on anything for longer than half a second" editing. (Pinball Yoda was entertaining, though.) The final duel in Return might not have had the same choreographed fanciness, but at least it could hold a damn shot for more than a couple of seconds and actually show some drama.

The big problem i can see is that George lucas retains control of Indiana Jones and SW. Some films get re-made well (like Dredd) because it's just a rights sale and able to have some room to breath. SW sound not be re-booted or re-made. BUT Indiana Jones would be perfect for that. Hell you could even have someone just assume the Name and persona like James Bond. It literally can't be worse than "Kingdom of Xenu and the quest for a paycheck"

DVS BSTrD:

MovieBob:
Let's Remake Star Wars

There's something I've been meaning to tell you about Star Wars since your video about the Phantom Menace re-release, and it's somewhat relevant to the choreography you brought up.

The Clone Wars IS better than Phantom Menace Bob
If for one reason

NO. Hell no. That scene shat all over the character of Yoda and changed him from being the wise teacher to another crappy gimmick. Yoda didn't need to be a powerful combatant to be respected. In fact that's one of the first things he says.

OT: I don't want George Lucas to touch anything Star Wars again, ever. He obviously hated everything about the original trilogy that made it worth watching. Christopher Nolan on the other hand... I'm forseeing zero gravity light saber duels, and i'm liking them.

I see just one flaw in remaking Star Wars, 4 to 6 especially. Who would play Han Solo? Ford is kinda old now. I don't know if theres anyone to fill his shoes.

If you are saying that Star Wars mirrored and should mirror the wars close to the time of its production, then the most fitting would be to turn the EMPIRE into the GOOD guys and fit the REBELS with TURBANS.

(i actually think this and im not attempting to create a flamewar)

wait till lucas dies. it is the only way star wars will get some of the care and respect it needs.

and keep it out of the hands of hollywood, they suck almost as hard.

and yes from the empires perspective rebels would be terrorists. but then again there are rebels and there are rebels, if the sw rebels suddenly just started blowing up innocents for the lulz, they would not be very good guys anymore.

could just base stuff out of the old republic era seems to be far more wiggle room for lore and characters, without touching the core of the series that is still relatively recent.

except retcon all of episode 1 2 and 3 out of there and metacholorians or wth ever that lame ass stuff was.

and kill off every cute pandering kiddy creature, you know all the species that were made to sell toys and toys alone. so no more teddy bears beating the hell out of the empire forces.

star wars was never high art, nor was it great scifi. it just popularized scifi for the masses. then lucas just went bat crap crazy and completely motivated by merchandizing over substance, which was not helped by the fact that everyone around him kissed his ass.

heck most of the good stuff about 4, 5 and 6 lucas hated period. he was forced to make better movies by the people around him at the time. he was never a visionary or a great film maker.

If Lucas would actually let someone write a decent script and have some semblance of creative control (ie the power to veto things like Jar Jar Binks), I would actually support this. Let's face it, after all the nostalgia, the Star Wars movies really aren't that great. It's not really their fault, just the scope of movies and themes of the modern audience have evolved over the years. Get someone like Joss Whedon to give the story the love, respect, balance and fines it deserves, and I'd be willing to bet it would be a good series of movies. I mean, yeah it still can't possibly live up to the imagined bar been set, but it'd still probably be pretty damn good.

I say go for it. The Holy Trilogy isn't nearly as holy as it once was with Lucas changing it more and more with each subsequent release. I think if done right a rebooted Star Wars could be pretty damn awesome.

Honestly, I never cared for the remake concept and, though much of what you bring up is very interesting as a concept, I don't think a remake is the right path. To put it another way, exploring how the current generation is radically removed from its predecessors is the very essence of the New Jedi Order series of books. Now, I'll be the first to say that I never, ever, want to see a NJO film series, but I would hold them up as an interesting, if imperfect, follow up piece.
That being said, if they ever did make more live action SW films, I would love to see a KotOR series, or better, the Thrawn trilogy. First reason, excellent book series already well framed in the SW style. Second reason, character development. Reasons 3 through 1,000,000, Mara Jade. 'Nuff said.

Also,

Bhaalspawn:
Vader. How do you portray him?

Do you continue with the current characterization of the already established movies? (ie. so steeped in misery and having lost everything has turned him into a cold, callous and cruel man whom you do not dare cross)

Or do you redesign his character starting at the end of "Sith"? (IE. Quiet, reserved, rules through calm fear with mannerisms and a tone of voice similar to Kreia, while still force choking the hell out of people. Someone who looks to be on the verge of suicide, but is putting it off for the sake of running his empire).

Read the novel Dark Lord, The Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno. It isn't perfect, but it does a hell of a job of turning the whining child Anakin into Darth ******* Vader from the original movies, mostly through the Emperor constantly doing little things to make Vader angrier and angrier until he just enjoys taking out his pain and frustration on anything nearby because he can't reconcile how much of a moron he was when he was younger (ie: in Ep.3).

wups, double.

RTK1576:

4)Right, let's spend hundreds of millions of dollars to get George Lucas to leave his series alone.

Hmm... that might actually be worth it.

doesn't matter how-many dollars you spend, he has more and he calls the shots
the pest will be changing return of the jedi from beyond the grave with a pager in his coffin set to go off at 4 year intervals commanding his lawyers to pull all star-wars merch and remake it.

search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Mezmer:
If Lucas would actually let someone write a decent script and have some semblance of creative control (ie the power to veto things like Jar Jar Binks)

that's it! just before you meet jarjar qui-gon has a vision of him being a twerp and then doesn't save him in time

remove anakin's dialogue all of it, it's just balls anyway, cut to him and cut away just to recognize he exists and leave it at that

this would drastically improve the prequels

perhaps we could get someone with video editing skills to make this film as a Fan-cut

Movie remakes are almost always a bad idea. And considering how much Star Wars shit is still being shovelled out of the grave...I'd rather the entire franchise be put to rest and we fucking finally move on from it.

Yeah, I don't think so. At least not while Lucas is alive or lucid.

I liked the Jedi back when they were just a well-known but not-in-the-spotlight order of protectors using laser swords. Then they became the most important things in the universe. They ran all the wars. They dabbled in all the politics. Yawn.

And that's all George Lucas' fault. Seriously, he'd change the Jedi story to be the most important part.

I liked when Han Solo back when he shot first and was a ruffian and a criminal on the path to redemption. Then he was suddenly always a hero who won't shoot until someone shoots at him and lost his character arc. Yawn.

And that's all George Franchaserzise Lucas' fault. Seriously, he'd reinvent Han Solo to be a hero who only has to struggle over self-preservation. He'd also make him force sensitive or maybe even a potential Jedi.

I liked C3PO and R2D2 back when they were just robots who were programmed to work together and were built like every other robot. Then suddenly C3P0 was built by a six-year-old Darth Vader and R2D2 was owned by every important hero in the past 1000000000 years... removing the common-can-be-important connection. Barf.

And that's all Jorge Lucah's fault. Seriously, he'd throw in a scene where Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader react to the two droids somehow. They could also be Jedi like what was made possible in the tabletop game. I mean, why not? It could just be another Jedi-centric trilogy because they've got laser swords and every scene has to have one.

---

...in other words, DON'T DO IT! At least... not without a good director at the helm...

No, Bob, you're wrong. War has not changed.

War...war never changes.

(I couldn't resist, sorry!)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook