Conflict Minerals and the Game Industry: The Problem

Pages PREV 1 2 3

KingGolem:

CrossLOPER:
Let us be clear then. What sort of "personal consequences" do you fear that prevent you from behaving in a morally reprehensible manner? Prison time? Your conscience? What?

In civilized countries, legal prosecution, including prison time, is the main deterrent to "morally reprehensible" behavior, as you call it. In lawless, savage lands like the Congo, there is still the potential for retribution. Opposing factions constantly war with one another, and serving for one means becoming a target for all the others.

You failed to address his question. It is true that prison time and legal prosecution is the deterrent to immoral behaviour in western society. The question was what do you fear that prevents you from behaving in a morally reprehensible manner. Do you fear prison? If so, why?

Keith_F:

You failed to address his question. It is true that prison time and legal prosecution is the deterrent to immoral behaviour in western society. The question was what do you fear that prevents you from behaving in a morally reprehensible manner. Do you fear prison? If so, why?

I thought it was self evident: prison sucks. I don't want to go to prison, or pay a fine, or be sentenced to community service, or whatever else, because they are unpleasant. If I am to maximize personal benefit, avoiding legal prosecution is the way to go.

Just a development related to this story: Fairphone is a recent company founded last year that manufactures its smartphones using audited mines in Uganda, Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Their work reallu shows how fair, safe, and humane working conditions can be made reality for Africa's poorest.

Check out their on-the-grounds investigation!

http://www.fairphone.com/2014/10/02/research-trip-visiting-tin-tantalum-and-tungsten-mines/

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 58499)