Hitman: Substitution

Pages PREV 1 2

Funny thing, there's an experiment when they have the subject talking to some clerk behind a desk that tells them to fill a form. Then he goes under the counter to grab something, and a second clerk with a different shirt/haircut/etc pops up to present the item. About half of the people in the study didn't notice the change.

EDIT: Couldn't find it on youtube, but here's a similar one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBPG_OBgTWg

Thank you for adding Vitiligo to my vocabulary.

I've also felt the same about the disguise system going back to the first game. i get that it's a gimmick, but he looks out of place no matter his disguise. Like he's just popped into places to photo-bomb people or something.

With sexy assassin nuns I can forgive AI

DTWolfwood:
Funny i didnt notice the chef either till after i read the sub text :P

Me neither! Maybe... maybe I am a character in a hitman game? OH GOD IDENTIFY YOURSELF

bificommander:

I guess it would be very hard to program, and even more difficult to play, a realistic system where every NPC has a level of familiarity with each NPC and NPC group. We'll always use approximations, and sometimes they lead to hillarious results such as these. It's fine.

No, no, that would be remarkably easy. In fact that's what Hitman does already. There aren't individual NPCs, there ARE NPC classes: Bodyguard, Chef, Squirrel Mascot, ect. The higher the familiarity, the faster they'll recognize an impostor. The problem is, Hitman: Absolution sets all those relationships as +600% to their own members, and 0% modifier to everyone else's. But the game, as it exists, supports the concept you're describing.

gigastar:

Zachary Amaranth:
Also, does 47 know how to cook?

His culinary skills go about as far as "take finished foodstuff and garnish with some form of poison".

Truth be told its all he really ever needs.

yep, not a single complaint from the customers

course, not much else from the customers

uhh, I'm pretty sure that in the first mission, if you take the Chef's outfit the guards or their boss will will say something along the lines of "I didn't know the Chef got a new apprentice, nobody tells me anything around here"

Don't criticise absolution disguise mechanism! The new fan boys will get you!

Seriously though, even when your not in disguise that same gradual on screen arrow that gets bigger is used. Just ever so slightly faster.
So the same detection system is used, disguise or not. That's just lazy

Mahorfeus:
"Constant Vigilance."

Oh, Mad-Eye, you will always be missed.

I have to agree with the point here though. I haven't played Absolution yet, but the NPCs are always so... gullible.

It's actually the other way round.

They are to gullible when you wear a disguise other than their own. But when a cop sees you with a cop uniform. INSTANT DETECTION!

Long as you are the only chef nobody will ever notice you.

What got me was that the leader of security in that mansion didn't recognize me in the guard outfit, but all of hit underlings did. He's the leader, he should know his crew. If anything he's the one I HAVE to avoid. Everyone else might just assume I'm new. HE would know.

I must confess.

I had to read the comic 4 times, leave, come back and read it again after reading the text at the bottom before I noticed the cook.

I think I may have a bright career as a Hitman guard ahead of me!

Man, what a lousy chef. He spilled the tomato sauce we keep in the cupboard!

Rednog:
I don't get this complaint from critics, in any work environment you're going to have a good idea of everyone who has the same job as you. For example I work in a hospital lab, if I saw a guy walking around wearing a lab coat and I didn't know him I'd be suspicious, if I saw a guy dressed as a delivery man or a doctor I probably wouldn't give it another thought.

Yeah, but if there's only one doctor in entire hospital, wouldn't you likely know who that person is?

Going to be the Funpire here:

If you walk past the head-guard he gets all pissy because someone was supposed to tell him about new employees and he assumes you're the chef's new assistant, he even tells you to go get a security check after your shift is over which I found quite amusing.

I do quite like the new system, I think it has it's flaws but I prefer it over blood money, I kinda wish they had crafted each level a bit more intimately though as sometimes it doesn't really make sense, for instance on the orphanage level when you wear a full mask.

mysecondlife:

Rednog:
I don't get this complaint from critics, in any work environment you're going to have a good idea of everyone who has the same job as you. For example I work in a hospital lab, if I saw a guy walking around wearing a lab coat and I didn't know him I'd be suspicious, if I saw a guy dressed as a delivery man or a doctor I probably wouldn't give it another thought.

Yeah, but if there's only one doctor in entire hospital, wouldn't you likely know who that person is?

Don't get me wrong I understand that in the context of the comic, sure there is only one chef. However, the base game mechanic is one of "if you dress up as X profession, the enemies of X profession will be more suspicious of you than if you dressed up as Y profession."

I get that the devs would have people of the same uniform recognize you as an imposter, but from playing the game there are some inconsistencies. Even when the person who's clothes you've stolen include a mask they recognize you as an imposter. How can I show you my face from behind a mask, furthermore, how do you know I'm not the person you think I am since EVERYONE WAS WEARING A MASK!?

The new disguise system works well when used right. For example: If the mission area has many guards and technicians, dressing up as a guard will allow you to move freely among technicians and vice versa. To make things easy, just take the disguise that requires less sneaking. It's usually better to use a non-guard/police disguise.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here