Most Boring Opinions in Geek Culture - Part II

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

23. Isnt Spiderman considered the most relatable character? Nerdy, teenager-ish, poor, good humor, using a complete suit that covers his whole body and face meaning that the viewer can more easily see Spiderman instead of Peter Parker in a suit, etc...

JellySlimerMan:

erttheking:
Movie Bob telling us that we need to shut up about our opinions again because they've been said an arbitrary amount of times? No thank you. And Superman IS boring, you want a character who doesn't have a stick up his ass and does the right thing because they're right? Fair enough, but did you have to make him a physical God? Man of Steel looks interesting interesting because Superman is portrayed as Human and not an invulnerable flying brick that never gets upset.

I will have your babies if you keep up the good pace, mate :D

Falseprophet:

1. Superman is too powerful to be an interesting character.

I know we're in this period where every hero has to be brooding and flawed and have deeply personal reasons for doing what they do. But can we keep one guy around who tries to do the right thing just because it's the right thing?

I am NO comic geek or a Superman sawy person, so tell me, What is Superman definition of "right"? what masses/democracy wants? what is "right" for humanity in the long run? making everyone happy ALA Ethical Hedonism kind of way because its "right" for everyone to be happy or at least live long enough for them to decide what they want to do with their lives?

Actually that's one of the issues he has to deal with. He's a man in the body of a god so he's not all knowing. His morality and ethics come from being raised as a human. Kingdom Come is a good story to see what happens when superman doesn't know what's right.

MANIFESTER:

JellySlimerMan:
*snip*

Well I suppose I should say welcome to the escapist. Not sure if you are a "long time reader first time writer" or whatever, but I will guess that you have been a long time hater of Moviebob. I do not share your opinion on him apparently, but your welcome to yours. Just wanted to say hi since just you seemed to make your account for the sole purpose of attempting to destroy this post. It has been amusing. So again, Welcome.

I would like you do elaborate on #3 at some point. I do not know much about anime outside of what shows on Toonami (e.g. Where young boy/man grows in power over time till he destroys whatever enemy he has), but I am curious as to if that extends to anime outside of my casual viewing.

Hi :D. I already made some post before but still nothing worth mentioning.

It just baffles me how people follow him after all the problems that he just touches in a half assed way. Lets just say that if Heavens to Metroid wasnt a warning sign, then the ME3 videos nailed it. He isnt the overthinker anymore, no longer he tries to take all sides and possibilities of an argument into account anymore. He has become just as lazy and repetitive as the industry he is critising ("He Who Fight Monsters Becomes A Monster Himself" indeed)

He is now......a geek. A geek that gets paid with add revenue and for making sketches that even the AVGN wouldnt even release to inflict upon its fanbase (at least until the movie is finished)

Also: N3?? "The manga is superior and blah blah"? What does it have to do with me? i dont remember comenting anythig about manga. But if there is somethign to be said is that there are just like the comic books, with their respective genres and cliches.

That is all.

Spot1990:
Actually that's one of the issues he has to deal with. He's a man in the body of a god so he's not all knowing. His morality and ethics come from being raised as a human. Kingdom Come is a good story to see what happens when superman doesn't know what's right.

And does that comic cover the "WHY" he would do the right thing too? as in, lets say that i know what is "right" but i dont feel like doing so becase humans dont deserve it because they are stupid/flawed/ignorant for me to care.

Man when bob gets going you remember just how bitchy he can be about the very things his decrying- his list might be boring but those opinions are also the most pervasive so how about working to change peoples minds instead of drumming up a little whinge list? Honestly this is the second or third time his done something like this and every time it shows that deep down bob is no different to the people he trys to change/uplift

JellySlimerMan:

Spot1990:

And does that comic cover the "WHY" he would do the right thing too? as in, lets say that i know what is "right" but i dont feel like doing so becase humans dont deserve it because they are stupid/flawed/ignorant for me to care.

It doesn't need to. You might not care but some people do. Does every character need a greater motivation than to try and help because they can? But, it's actually about Superman after he gave up on humanity.

We all know the reason Superman helps, he's basically the ultimate example of "with great power comes great responsibility". The idea that if someone else found him as a child he could be anything from an asshole to a monster comes up a lot too, like Red Son.

JellySlimerMan:

Bhaalspawn:

On Overthinker, he's actually stopped attacking the dudebro crowd in favor of directing his criticism at the angry portion of gamer community that screams about publishers, greed, easy modes, get worked into a frothing rage the instant they don't get their bottle and generally behave like.... well...

At 20:00. Why fix what isnt broken?

Then again, that is one of the few new videos of the GO on Youtube, i have yet to see the rest (but of course the Screwattack player doesnt work)

I think it's safe to say that the Anti-Thinker is his own character at this point, and this was mostly just an amusing little callback. In fact, if you look closely, you'll see every villian in TGO being a different archetype of gamer culture.

AntiThinker: Dudebro Crowd
PyroThinker and Cryothinker: JRPG Fans
NecroThinker: Golden-Age Nostalgia blinded gamers (of which Bob is one of)
RoboThinker: XBox Live/Steam Trolls
Jack Leiberson: You KNOW he's going to be a play on Joe Liberman and Jack Thompson

Fact of the matter is Bob has opinions about gaming. And his opinions are not identical to what the Rights-Obsessed/Piracy Loving/Tantrum throwing internet majority of gamers hold. Muffin.

Lunar Templar:

I'm kinda with Bob on the whole ME3 ending mess. People really just need to get over it. so a game had a shitty ending, so fucking what. stop acting like this is new or some how worthy of note just cause it was a 3 part game series, cause its not.

Games have had good and bad endings for as long as there have been video games with a plot. ME3's ending is in no way more note worth then Valkyrie Profile's ending A (which was great till i actually killed Loki)

And it WOULD have ended in "just a badly written ending" if it wasnt for the "Artistic Integrity" asspull they made. Think about the repercutions this may have in the future. If more developers use the "Its art, we can do whatever we want. And if you say otherwise, then you are destroying the medium as an entitled motherfucker you are" then more and more games will end up being poorly designed and cheaply made because of this deluded notion.

You may say that the fact the outrage happened is proof that the industry wont try to do it again.......are you sure about that? think about it, the industry as a whole got away with things like DLC that its already on the disc, having the game ending to be DLC that you have to buy (*COUGH*AZURA'S WRATH*COUGH*), Anti Piracy measures that affect the honest buyers rather than the pirates themselves, Always online Single Player (If Origin doesnt like you, then say goodbye to your single player games that could have just worked fine if they removed this stupid limitation), Microsoft filing a patent to dictate how many people can watch of play something, aaaaaaaand of course, who could have forgotten this:

I mean come on man, if the consumers didnt bitch about all those before, then they will just accept this new bullshi...I MEAN "Artistic Integrity" thingy. We got away before and we WILL now.

This ME3 fiasco is a historical event that SHOULD have been studied more closely. Questions like this should have been asnwered:
1)How can a 15 minute ending can be art when only 2 writers of the team did it without their input? the opinion of the rest doesnt matter? isnt everything else art too?? i thought that art is the sum of all their parts working together in harmony to elevate the work to something greater than THAT very sum of its part. Instead we got another case of Ludonarrative Dissonance like in Bioshock 1.

2)Why Bob tries to use outdated terms of art (like Colin did) like "the storyteller tells, the audience receives and that is it" when games are supposed to be a interactive media and the audience is the final piece of this elaborate clockwork to elevate the work to art form?

3)If the artist can do whatever he/she wants because "Its art, dont question it" why would she/he want to sabotage its own work?? Isnt the work supposed to make everything work together to elevate it?

4)Why every single game "journalist" is accusing the gamers of ruining art when its clear that the artists dont even have a choice from the very beginning? Its the Executives's Will that dictate them to use the most profitable stories and gameplays, because for them it isnt art, its a product for mass appeal (and it shows). Why are we responsible for putting this zombie to rest by shooting it with critisism?

5)Why people (and some authors) think that leaving everything without answers is a good way to make art? if critical questions that are nessesary to understand the plot progression are missing, then how do they expect the audience to just forger it or make their own answers?

6)Why people think that sacrificing the intelligence of your characters for the sake of symbolism is STILL a good way to tell a story?? (its also related to Prometheus, who conveniently was released quite close to ME3)

7)Why writers cover their own mistakes by saying things like "Well, this FAMOUS AUTHOR did it and i dont see YOU bitching about it. My work was inspired by it, so if I suck then HE sucks too. Do you have the balls to back up your statement?? i dont think so"?? Are their secretly Dada members? they want to destroy all art by making a terrible work that wants to take everything with it to the abyssm??

Instead we got nothing worthwhile from this conflict of interest. Only the constant shouting of everyone saying that we are entitled and our "opinions" are just that, opinions. (Again, one can have opinions based on facts. Fire Burns, water is wet, and bad writting is bullshit)

Well everyone seems to enjoy arguing about the separate points in the article, so maybe I'm in the minority, but I thought it was a pretty terrible article. Yes, these are opinions you hear over and over again, and a lot of them are really boring, and so naturally, an article restating them all came across as really boring.

Bhaalspawn:

I think it's safe to say that the Anti-Thinker is his own character at this point, and this was mostly just an amusing little callback. In fact, if you look closely, you'll see every villian in TGO being a different archetype of gamer culture.

AntiThinker: Dudebro Crowd
PyroThinker and Cryothinker: JRPG Fans
NecroThinker: Golden-Age Nostalgia blinded gamers (of which Bob is one of)
RoboThinker: XBox Live/Steam Trolls
Jack Leiberson: You KNOW he's going to be a play on Joe Liberman and Jack Thompson

Fact of the matter is Bob has opinions about gaming. And his opinions are not identical to what the Rights-Obsessed/Piracy Loving/Tantrum throwing internet majority of gamers hold. Muffin.

Archetipes are missing. Let me fill the gaps in painful detail:

He doesnt care (anymore) to show the broken and nihilistic side of gaming. The people who at this point SHOULD have abandon all hope that the industry could have been redeemed. He shows caricatures, footnotes of something that he barely understand (sort of like the killers Leopold & Loeb abused the "Will to Power" described by Nietszche without knowing exactly what in the fuck he was talking) and makes fun of their pain.

But hey, at least you will get a good laught at those wacky sketches, right???........ right??

I think the reason why people won't (and shouldn't) "shut up about it already" is because they shouldn't. Don't you remember the lecture about history class? We learn history so we aren't doomed to repeat it. The longer people discuss many of these debacles, the more likely we are going to learn to not create them again. The star-wars prequels, for example, have become quite the cautionary tale about overdoing capitalism and killing the soul of your franchise for personal gain. Money is good, but is it worth your soul? Respect? These are questions every has to ask themselves.

xPixelatedx:
I think the reason why people won't (and shouldn't) "shut up about it already" is because they shouldn't. Don't you remember the lecture about history class? We learn history so we aren't doomed to repeat it. The longer people discuss many of these debacles, the more likely we are going to learn to not create them again. The star-wars prequels, for example, have become quite the cautionary tale about overdoing capitalism and killing the soul of your franchise for personal gain. Money is good, but is it worth your soul? Respect? These are questions every has to ask themselves.

Even if i am a firm believer that people learn from their mistakes so they can repeat it with utmost precition (because i am a cynical bastard) i will make a monument of you in Minecraft for generations to come, because common sense is worth preserving.

Any specific image you want me to make there when i have the time?

IronMit:
snip

riight ... cept, they didn't actually change the endings now did they? your still stuck with the same crap as before, now just explained slightly better, plus a 'fuck you' ending for the people 'doing what Shepard would have done'.

(._.)b good going, you ever here of the term 'Pyrrhic victory'?

JellySlimerMan:
snip

lovely wall of text, and way to point out crap I already knew.

it's not the 'artistic integrity' reason why i've sided with bob here, its Bioware, they don't have any of that.

it's pure embitterment from having to sit through your infantile pissing and moaning, and more or less getting dragged into some worthless debate, about something that i would care exactly the same amount if it never existed as i do now.

right or wrong doesn't really matter to me at this point, I'm so fucking feed up with hearing about this embarrassment of a controversy that i have more contempt for the people still complaining then the people that made the game.

and next time something like this happens, leave the people who don't care about your game out of the debate

Manga... not so much. I prefer it over western comics, but it's not really because of superiority and more because of the target audience being a little older and less serious. But it's not because they don't have endings, hence Bleach and Naruto, but one of the prime examples being D-Gray Man, a series that has gone on for far too long and has the potential to never be completed.

"14. Easy mode ruins games.

It's a game, not the SATs. Get over yourself."

I agree

"13. Casual gamers have ruined gaming.

Commentary unnecessary."

Care to elaborate?

Worst Bond? George Lazenby. End of story. The others are head-and-shoulders above him.

Aside from that, I think there's merit to a lot of points on the list.

No matter how many times people bitch and moan about how sometimes difficulty is part of the core experience of the game, it doesn't make it any more true. If dropping the difficulty on a game ruins the experience, the game was poorly made. Difficulty cannot (and, as far as I've experienced, it never has) drive a game.

Family Guy was and still is all right. I've seen pretty much every episode. It's really good background noise for when I'm supposed to be studying or writing an essay or whatever. When it catches my focus, I can totally turn my brain off and still not miss a thing. It's got some pretty decent jokes, and there's some pretty adequate social commentary hidden in all the fart jokes, so, yeah. It's all right.

I don't mind the Star Wars prequels. I'm pretty sure I saw them first, which may have had something to do with it, but, I mean, they're still all right. Kinda like Family Guy, I suppose: they have their moments.

I think those are the only ones that really jumped out at me. I don't spend a whole lot of time cruising around forums and stuff, so I haven't heard a lot of those opinions. Not a bad list, though, Bob. Keep up the commentary on nerd culture. I enjoy reading/hearing it.

Lunar Templar:

Yes, and if the narrative of ME3 could have done a better job at that, instead of demostrating evidence that conventional weapons CAN harm Reapers just fine (we even killed one with a bloody Cain on London) and thus contradicting the NEED of The Crusible, THEN we could have believed it. The Reapers also acted quite stupidly and contributed to more people believing that they could win (like how they forget their own master plan of taking the Citadel FIRST in every cycle and instead they went for Earth directly because.........humans are special??)

Also, lets not forget that to make it more beliavable, all they had to do is shown in the Refusal ending for example, how your EMS STILL dont manage to make the difference at the max ammount. Just show a different cutscene at specific points of EMS values to see how they manage to loose anyway and done.

JellySlimerMan:
snip

lovely wall of text, and way to point out crap I already knew.

it's not the 'artistic integrity' reason why i've sided with bob here, its Bioware, they don't have any of that.

it's pure embitterment from having to sit through your infantile pissing and moaning, and more or less getting dragged into some worthless debate, about something that i would care exactly the same amount if it never existed as i do now.

right or wrong doesn't really matter to me at this point, I'm so fucking feed up with hearing about this embarrassment of a controversy that i have more contempt for the people still complaining then the people that made the game.

and next time something like this happens, leave the people who don't care about your game out of the debate

Do i have to care about the game in order to research about it as an historical event? do i have to, for example, "like" or be emotional attached to ET for the Atari 2600 to defend/critice it?? ME3 is kinda like that game. Mediocre and could have been ignored, but its repercutions on the gaming industry will lead to disaster (ET made the Great Video Game Crash possible)

Your emotions towards the issue doesnt change the fact one bit and neither do mine. Care to tell me how do you get enroled in this debate if you are not helping at all?? History shouldnt be forgotten or else we end up making the same mistakes.

And if games are supposed to be taken seriously, then a debate is BOUND to happen anyway. Why stop the inevitable? why stop argument from evolving? why stop people for making something meaningful with their times? denying it right now will start it ALL OVER AGAIN. Its better to let it grown naturally and let it collapse under its own weight, any intervencion will be meaningless.

Besides, if it wasnt for controversies like Metroid Other M, we wouldnt have The Gaming Brit and many other people who know their shit.

shteev:
Well everyone seems to enjoy arguing about the separate points in the article, so maybe I'm in the minority, but I thought it was a pretty terrible article. Yes, these are opinions you hear over and over again, and a lot of them are really boring, and so naturally, an article restating them all came across as really boring.

Eh I felt the same way.

It was a kind of boring read, made worse by the fact that I was able to say "and next bob will complain about people complaining about..." and be right far too many times. Opinions on opinions are fine, but if I can predict the opinion you have on an opinion then you're either writing on a stale subject, or you have really stale opinions.

ZZoMBiE13:
51: Making huge self indulgent lists of things that annoy you, and then telling others to "get over themselves".

Damn The Escapist and it's lack of a 'Like' button!

Also: George-fucking-Lazenby, people!!

"3. Manga is superior to Western comics because its stories have endings."

Clearly people arguing this have never watched/read serial manga/anime.

Bleach, Naruto, Dragonball... When a series gets popular, oh gawd can its storyline get stretched and stretched and stretched.

Lunar Templar:

riight ... cept, they didn't actually change the endings now did they? your still stuck with the same crap as before, now just explained slightly better, plus a 'fuck you' ending for the people 'doing what Shepard would have done'.

lol hindsight, wonderful thing

Was simply exercising my right as a consumer by telling them how shit some of their product is.
So should I not complain unless there's a good chance that it will be fixed properly? Nope I will complain anyway.

Now that we've had part 2, can you never ever ever do this again? In your field people with opinions are a dime a dozen, and the only things that separates any good critic from the pack is delivering the opinion with justifying support or style. A long list of "because I said so"s is neither.

Smolderin:
So I've noticed alot of people are a bit heated over some things Movie Bob said. This is just a friendly reminder, but remember these are his OPINIONS. Don't take it personally if you disagree with any of them. Feel free to state your own but I doubt your opinions are going to change his.

Silly this is the Internet where we respect other peoples opinions as long as it reflects our own.

I've heard of a couple of these and that's it. At least the responses are a tiny bit better, even though they don't solve a damn thing. You are still instigating and ignoring instead of finding the reasons for most of these (in other words you're just reviving these topics). That's how you stop a complaint altogether really, make a list of what changes or why this is better, but no, you're just saying they're boring and then giving boring responses (again) showing just how these are never going to go away.

You haven't proven any thing Bob. I don't know what you were trying to accomplish but you really just make it worse.

JellySlimerMan:
Sob Story

This is the problem with the gaming industry. Too many gamers have sob story.

Did mean old EA close Bullfrog? Are you not allowed to swear at Anita Sarkesian without someone calling out your asshole behavior? Are you torn between being a fan of something and a supporter of something else that is only related to it in a broad conspiracy theory? Are a bunch of pretentious fuckwads using games to express the fact they're pretentious fuckwads? Is the reality of "Supply and Demand" and "Free Market" skirting by your infant mind?

Every gamer has a sob story, and too many gamers are whining little shits that would Anakin Skywalker look emotionally stable.

No gamer is forced to pirate. That's a convienent excuse to cover their thievery.

No publishers are not nickle and diming you. You just want all the extra content for free, and that's NOT going to happen. No they are not breaking their promises. They are not out to deceive you. The world of game design is a complicated thing, where anything can change, and words are interpreted differently by developers and their dipshit fans.

The problem with the games industry is the GAMERS. Because they are never satisfied, constantly demand free giveaway every other day, and even when they are given the chance to set their own price they still give themselves a nice fat 80% discount, or just steal it anyway.

After the last three years of this bullshit, it's finally become objective fact: Gamers are self-entitled little bastards who frankly don't deserve jack shit. And any mocking Moviebob does of them on his web show now or in the future will be entirely justified.

Oh my gosh, have i finally found someone who doesn't think dubs are the worst thing ever?

I actually prefer hearing all my media in English. Yes. I'm horrible. I'm over that. Point being, I find it very disconcerting and jarring to hear characters speaking a language that is not intuitive to me. It breaks my immersion. I have a very high tolerance for iffy voice acting, because I'd rather have the lip-syncing or the acting be a little bit off, than have to read my dialogue and hear something completely garbled instead of a reasonable set of words that I understand. Same with the accents; I imagine the characters a certain way, and when this random accent that doesn't make sense to my brain happens, it is utterly disconcerting for me as a viewer.

For the record, I have no beef with real humans having real accents and speaking real languages that aren't mine. I just don't want the *characters I'm watching*, unless they have an in-universe reason to speak that language *when everyone else doesn't*, to do this.

For example, Hiro Nakamura never bothered me. Being Japanese is part of what makes him his very specific character, not just "everyone else is Japanese too, so of course he is." (Yes, I know it wasn't dubbing, work with me.) However, if all of Ghost in the Shell is in Japanese, it bugs me because really, there's no in-universe reason why I shouldn't, as an audience member, be allowed to understand these words. With Hiro, we're deliberately not supposed to understand his spoken word.

There is one time, ever, when I have heard voice acting so bad I changed to the original language. This was the Kirby anime, which I watched on a lark, and they gave Meta Knight a really goofy accent that I didn't like on his character. One time.

I wish the anime fan folk would get over their issues with dubs, but I suppose I will never get over my issues with subs, so until then I'm watching alone.

My house rule is that we see dubs, though. :P

No, not really. That's actually terribly ignorant of you.

I realize you're a bit limited by language, but it might be a good idea for you to recognize that the majority of the most influential, defining, and interesting works in the history of Japanese comics have never been, and most likely will never be, translated into the English language or released outside of Japan.

I like English-language comics as much as the next guy, but the Japanese titles I'm reading right now include a beautifully illustrated biography of Cesare Borgia, a procedural drama about a folklorist conducting anthropological research and far-flung regions of the globe, an episodic detective story, an action-packed drama about a crazy woman seeking revenge against Genghis Khan and his armies for the murder of her people, and several collections of Moto Hagio's work from the 70s and 80s, including some excellent Ray Bradbury adaptations (but you'd never talk about anything like that, because discussing mainstream comics by successful female creators dealing with social and gender issues far more intelligently than most contemporary works which laud themselves on their maturity is so much less fun than than wagging your finger at crutches for bad pulp writers). If you're seeing the same story over and over again, it says a lot more about what you're choosing to look at than it does about what's out there.

This list is boring, how about that?

IronMit:

Lunar Templar:

lol hindsight, wonderful thing

Was simply exercising my right as a consumer by telling them how shit some of their product is.
So should I not complain unless there's a good chance that it will be fixed properly? Nope I will complain anyway.

aye, hindsight is wonderful, I could sit here and say i 'called it' on the 'revamped ending' not fixing anything, but that was a while ago and i don't feel like sorting through the 5473 pages that is my posting history to confirm what i said -.- better things to do.

but that's not why I'm calling it a Pyrrhic Victory,

JellySlimerMan:
snip

YOU!! listen up -.-

now bare in mind, I don't like Mass Effect, it bores me. But given how company's like EA are, which do you think is more likely to happen?

are they likely to start proof reading scripts, confirming what does what in context of the games canon, and generally closing plot holes?
or
are they more likely to simply NOT, make multi game epics that tell an expansive story, and continue as they have?

I'm betting they'll just save them selves the head ache of dealing with the fans and not bother. the 'lessons' of this event will be render moot since those lessons assume these company's will be willing to 'try again'. All the pissing and moaning has done is cost gaming as a whole interconnected multi game story's

THAT is why its a Pyrrhic Victory, not cause the fixed ending changed nothing, but because it has very likely cost us more games 'like that' for at the very least a good, long, time, and while another Mass Effect would be mt with a resounding 'who the fuck cares' from me, this hamstrings the likely hood of say ....

a new Legacy of Kain series. /wildlyunfoundedfanboydream
which was better then Mass Effect could ever hoped to have been

someone uses a fucking ipad in a movie theatre? WHAT KIND OF BULLSHIT IS THAT!? somone get the tar and feathers...

1. Yeah it's very different seeing Batman using awesome ninja skills to defeat his enemies to Superboringman simply neutralizing them without breaking a sweat.

Did anyone think that "bullet to the eye" scene was cool?

Bhaalspawn:

JellySlimerMan:
Sob Story

This is the problem with the gaming industry. Too many gamers have sob story.

Did mean old EA close Bullfrog? Are you not allowed to swear at Anita Sarkesian without someone calling out your asshole behavior? Are you torn between being a fan of something and a supporter of something else that is only related to it in a broad conspiracy theory? Are a bunch of pretentious fuckwads using games to express the fact they're pretentious fuckwads? Is the reality of "Supply and Demand" and "Free Market" skirting by your infant mind?

Every gamer has a sob story, and too many gamers are whining little shits that would Anakin Skywalker look emotionally stable.

No gamer is forced to pirate. That's a convienent excuse to cover their thievery.

No publishers are not nickle and diming you. You just want all the extra content for free, and that's NOT going to happen. No they are not breaking their promises. They are not out to deceive you. The world of game design is a complicated thing, where anything can change, and words are interpreted differently by developers and their dipshit fans.

The problem with the games industry is the GAMERS. Because they are never satisfied, constantly demand free giveaway every other day, and even when they are given the chance to set their own price they still give themselves a nice fat 80% discount, or just steal it anyway.

After the last three years of this bullshit, it's finally become objective fact: Gamers are self-entitled little bastards who frankly don't deserve jack shit. And any mocking Moviebob does of them on his web show now or in the future will be entirely justified.

I am very sorry. I will not stop complaining because I am "entitled" I will not accept that we are all "self entitled little bastards" and I will not accept that we "don't deserve jack shit" because you personally were annoyed by the way some of us are acting. And you know the really sad part? I actually I agree with you on some things. I roll my eyes every time people start complaining about DLC existing, and I'm a little tired of people complaining about every last thing that happens to the point where I was actually surprised the one time that Gearbox got complimented in a news article, and people who pirate games really piss me off. But you know what? If I could make all of it go away with a snap of my fingers, would I? No I wouldn't. Maybe the piracy, but I wouldn't make anyone stop complaining. Do you know why? Because people have every last right to complain, because Moviebob has no fucking right to tell us to shut up because he's tired of hearing the things he likes being insulted, so that he can go on to insult things that other people like but he doesn't, or insulting people that like things that he doesn't or don't like things that he does making it ok in some bizarre defilement of logic. A lot of times I get really REALLY tried of the things I like (Halo, shooters, Mass Effect minus the ending to three, Xbox etc) getting insulted on this website, but I refuse I refuse to throw up my hands and say that everyone should stop complaining because I'm personally tired of it. I AM tired of it, but I'd rather gamers be a bunch of chronic complainers than a bunch of submissive bitches the way you seem to be implying we should be. You see, in America we have a saying "I disagree with what you say, but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it." If you really disagree with someone, debate with them, try to convince them of your point of thinking, don't throw up your hands like Moviebob and say "I don't agree with you, shut up," come on.

Also, insulting someone and telling them to "grow the fuck up" because they had the audacity to disagree with you isn't going to win you any supporters.

Bhaalspawn:

while I can sort of agree in some ways (particually the priacy thing or waaa!! games are too expensive!) I don't belive bullshit anti-consumer stuff like DRM ect should be excused (also although its not a sold fact you can't tell me they wouldn't gut the origial product to sell the organs as DLC if they could..which they can)

when ME the paying customer who never pirates because I think piracy is fucking wrong, is being punished while the pirate gets away scot free...then we have a problem

EDIT: oh and keep your nasty sweeping statments to youself please, just because you found some people on the internet annoying

erttheking:

Also, insulting someone and telling them to "grow the fuck up" because they had the audacity to disagree with you isn't going to win you any supporters.

and everything you just said of coarse XD

For point 3, I think Movie Bob just REALLY hates manga/anime.

Like Yahtzee, but with less mocking and more cultural generalizations.

I think it'll be easier to count manga with reboots than those without reboots.

5. Fratboy "bro" gamers ruined gaming.

Y'know what's ruining gaming, folks? Dicing the audience up into little teams so we can find one or two of them to blame.

Oh, that's rich coming from you Moviebob, seeing as your entire schtick is dividing the "Geeks/nerds/retro-gamers" from the non-geeks/etc.

Lunar Templar:

YOU!! listen up -.-

now bare in mind, I don't like Mass Effect, it bores me. But given how company's like EA are, which do you think is more likely to happen?

are they likely to start proof reading scripts, confirming what does what in context of the games canon, and generally closing plot holes?
or
are they more likely to simply NOT, make multi game epics that tell an expansive story, and continue as they have?

I'm betting they'll just save them selves the head ache of dealing with the fans and not bother. the 'lessons' of this event will be render moot since those lessons assume these company's will be willing to 'try again'. All the pissing and moaning has done is cost gaming as a whole interconnected multi game story's

I doubt it. Since ME3 sold well. I dont see why the braindead people on EA would not give thumbs up to something like "interconnected multi game stories". In fact, it is VERY profitable if you exploit the fact that some events in the game cannot happen if you didnt play the other games.

Imagine for example, that ME3 always gives the bad ending (regardless of your EMS of whatever you do in that game only) UNLESS you played ALL the other games to perfection. EA would love this idea because this will allows them to drain even MORE money from the players who were naive enough to think that they could play the last entry alone and still win, because the exciting stuff is always at the end of the trilogy.

EA will be like: "Mnn..?? you didnt get the good ending?? well of course not!! that is because you werent a loyal fan like the others, who bought all the games and their DLC to prepare for the finale. Tell you what MAH BOY, i can sell you a COLLECTOR edition for.....shall we say...150$? all DLC included for each game, all 3 of them. Hum? why paid for the 3rd game that you already have and instead buy the other 2 separetely? well, because this 3rd game version has new weapons that you can use on multiplayer, so you can show who is the boss to those who mocked your inability to play this game like the HARCORE fans of ME. Do we have a deal?"

Imagine if EA did something like that for the ULTIMA series?? imagine that you can only kill the final boss with a spell that you had to carry in each game?? you would need all NINE entries. Its a win-win scenario for EA, they have no reason to NOT do it.

Also, unless you were living under a rock (i assume that you are just as ignorant like Casey "So Video-gamey" Hudson about gaming history) there were games before that did the multy connected thing before. Hell, right now, The Witcher 2 has a branching narrative that its decided on the first hours of play.

If gamers are indeed in such a need for this kind of innovative idea, then the competition WILL make games like that to suply the demand.

So again, i dont see the problem you see.

THAT is why its a Pyrrhic Victory, not cause the fixed ending changed nothing, but because it has very likely cost us more games 'like that' for at the very least a good, long, time, and while another Mass Effect would be mt with a resounding 'who the fuck cares' from me, this hamstrings the likely hood of say ....

a new Legacy of Kain series. /wildlyunfoundedfanboydream
which was better then Mass Effect could ever hoped to have been

A branching narrative (like the ME SOLD US ON but we didnt get) could very well be a good argument of why games are art in interactive media form. Even if ME as a whole sucked but DID the very thing that was supposed to be doing, it would STILL be an argument of games as art regardless. Just as how Citizen Kane has that plot hole at the begining of "who the fuck heard the "Rosebud" if no one was close to hear it?" and its still regarded as The Most Trimphant Example of Cinema As An Art Form.

If ME3 is indeed art, and we fucked up by changing it, then why didnt the 2 writers that decided to ditch all the others, dont come to the conventions to tell us how wrong we are or how we didnt "get" their vision?? After all, i would expect that something that is art and whose mere existance proves that games are art, SHOULD BE DEFENDED, right?

Sort like how some people are very protective of a dangered species, if this is trully the ONLY example of games as art then why didnt they resist the change or argued with the fans instead of taking refuge in a rock?? its a simple question. And they also said that "there is no canon"..........except for that last part apparently.

But here is the thing, changing endings happened for movies and did happen for games before. With Prince of Persia Reboot 2008 and with Fallout 3 (a game that its waaaaaaaay more interactive that ME) and yet i dont see anyone saying "games are not art since that F3 incident"

This has been an quite a converzation but still, nothing new has been brought up. I will have to seek further somewhere else to see if someone can provide answers.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here