Zero Punctuation: Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Interestingly enough, that's the exact same plot as 'The Talisman' by Stephen King. Nice.

Pretty sweet review of Dead Sp...wait what?

Earthsea... Ugh. We share the pain, we share the pain.

I'm honestly surprised. I expected him to tear this game apart much more then he did. Equally surprising is the fact that Yahtzee actually liked Studio Gibli.

I especially liked how Yahtzee strung this line into the review: "you're in the fantasy world fighting in the grasslands, desert, forest, jungle, ice world, fire world, bada-bada-bada-bada..." That was truly a unique addition to this epic episode! More of these sound effects are welcome!

What Japanese game isn't complex?

Neefertiti:
I love you for the Psycho tie in.

Same, gotta love a Norman Bates reference.

The first Yahtzee-video where I laughed out loud in ages. Great one.

I admire Studio Ghibli for their artistic style and integrity, but I also think that I personally have outgrown JRPGs. I used to like them a lot when I was younger, but now, I feel like I see every plot twist coming, know every character etc... Same with Anime - they often just seem so... predictable..

Also, I just remembered this:

I've never been a big fan of JRPG's, but they've always fascinated me. I've always really liked Ghibli movies so perhaps this would be a good place to start.

I learn that Yahtzee doesn't hate Studio Ghibli movies.

The world has gone wacko.

I would like to point out the following

first even Ghibli themselves have admitted Earthsea sucks

second the whole part about fixing personalities is out of context its not like your fixing people who are naturally this way which is what Yahtzee made it sound like, the various npcs are under an effect by the game's big bad and you are helping them return to their normal persona

third I actually like the combat system

On the subject of tutorials: It's not like the first 17 or so hours are a tutorial, it's just that at about 17 hours in it stops introducing new mechanics. This isn't a new concept for JRPGs, lots of the old school ones do it too(FFVI does as well). Also, the big difference between this and FFXIII is that XIII was literally a hallway for the first half of the game. NNK isn't, right when you enter the fantasy world you're given a world map with stuff to find and monsters to fight on your own. When you get to the city you are given side quests as well, some of which require you to go out and explore the world.

Brad Gardner:

04whim:
Now I've always said "Gibli" instead of "Jibli". Am I saying it wrong?

It is a hard G there is no j sound in Japanese language.

Yes there is actually. The only sounds that aren't in the Japanese language are words "v" sounds and "x" sounds. Except nowadays apparently you can make a "v" sound by combining Katakana together. Well that's what my Sensei at Uni said.

OT: This was pretty funny to watch actually. I'm always a person who likes a JRPG and NNK sounds like it'd be perfect for me to be quite honest.

Brad Gardner:

04whim:

Any other country, that would be fine. The one country that starts with a J (in our language so I'm assuming it applies to many others) doesn't have a J sound. That's just being difficult, surely.

Well it is for children, just saying you shouldn't expect the game to not treat you like an idiot.
But I see people having trouble with bosses, so the game probably isn't unjustified in doing so.

Brad Gardner:

04whim:

So... Gah-pan? Gay-pan? Gap-a-neeze?

irishda:
No one else is gonna mention he talked about the left stick but pointed at the right one?

I noticed it too. It's all about the subtle humor.

I just finished the game today and I thought it was great. Yes, I will agree that the game is sorta slow at the beginning, but once the core features open up it becomes a hell of a lot of fun.

I also liked the hybrid system in this game. At least when the leader you're controlling gets K.O'd you don't automatically lose the fight even though your companions are still up. I'm looking at you Final Fantasy XIII.

Was that vagina and octopus stuff legit in the game?
Thats horrifying if true.

Lovely Mixture:

I feel it's an issue of balance.
Either it's all too soft and fancy or it's all too dark.
Berserk and Dark Souls do it right. Tolkien essentially did it right. Haven't tried Fire and Ice yet.

To sum up Ice and Fire, if you like watching the only group of heroes get chew up, spit on and watch as they make a futile gesture of resistance in a world designed to defy fantasy tropes. That is Ice And Fire.

irishda:
No one else is gonna mention he talked about the left stick but pointed at the right one?

It didn't point to the right one, it pointed away from the left one, as in the direction you should move it. You know, like in a tutorial.

daxterx2005:
Was that vagina and octopus stuff legit in the game?
Thats horrifying if true.

Yup. Not in the way that you think though. I'll just leave it at that. :P

I am very pleased you did not liked it. The unchallenged love for this, for anything really, got way too oversaturated. this was like cold water on a hot day. Great but not enough to make an impact.

04whim:

Brad Gardner:

04whim:

Any other country, that would be fine. The one country that starts with a J (in our language so I'm assuming it applies to many others) doesn't have a J sound. That's just being difficult, surely.

you do the mistake of thinking that country names are similar in other languages.
http://translate.google.com/#en/ja/Japan
Pronunciation says Nihon and if you tell it to talk it has no J.

So it's experience a beautiful game filled with Ghibli charm, but suffer through wooden, broken JRPG mechanics.

*tch* Still a tough call.

As a fan of Hayo Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli, I got a real kick out of the Bingo bit (though no mention of the flight scenes?)

Anyway, I'm still on the fence on whether or not to try this game out... but maybe I'll wait a bit...

(Hm... now I feel like rewatching JesuOtaku's Miyazaki retrospectives.)

antigodoflife:

Publishers will see that Ni no Kuni sold better with 170,548 copies sold in it's first week than Xenoblade Chronicals with 161,161 copies sold in the entirety of 2010 (about a 6 - 7 month period) and will insist on more games like Ni no Kuni and less to the standard of Xenoblade because that's good business. As-per-normal, people will then complain about how stale the genre is and then blah di blah di blah, aeternum repetit.

Why does Xenoblade get so much praise in your book? I liked Xenoblade, but I'd hardly call it a new standard for the genre. The environments and art style were beautiful, but the character designs and graphics were ugly (even in the newest Xeno trailer, I found the character design to be ugly). The combat was good, worlds better than NNK.

Xenoblade was even more padded than NNK, every new city, you could look forward to doing half a million useless fetch quest/ monster killing quest, to the point where I didn't even read why they wanted me to kill these things, just what and how much. NNK gives you a few of these every city, but not near the sheer amount Xenoblade does. To me at least, that made Xenoblade much less tolerable than NNK.

Lovely Mixture:

xdiesp:
It's pronounced "geeblee" with a hard G, not "jeeblee". Sigh.

Wikipedia and their official site say you're wrong.

The Ghibli is the freaking wind of the desert, if you don't know how to pronounce it, don't write wrong articles on wikipedia. Facepalm.

Well said, kind Sir.

This is the unique judgmental snark I've first came here just to see more of it.

I don't know what happened, but I hope it lasts - if not too inconveniencing in nature.

xdiesp:

Lovely Mixture:

xdiesp:
It's pronounced "geeblee" with a hard G, not "jeeblee". Sigh.

Wikipedia and their official site say you're wrong.

The Ghibli is the freaking wind of the desert, if you don't know how to pronounce it, don't write wrong articles on wikipedia. Facepalm.

Did you read the first word of my sentence and cast off the rest? The whole "their official site" thing.

gyrobot:

Lovely Mixture:

Berserk and Dark Souls do it right. Tolkien essentially did it right. Haven't tried Fire and Ice yet.

To sum up Ice and Fire, if you like watching the only group of heroes get chew up, spit on and watch as they make a futile gesture of resistance in a world designed to defy fantasy tropes. That is Ice And Fire.

Well....My sister says the people are kinda nice. I-is that true?

gyrobot:

Lovely Mixture:

Well....My sister says the people are kinda nice. I-is that true?[/quote]

Well House Stark are the "Good guys of the series, but if you expect them to win I would suggest you read something else.

Definitely one of your better episodes of late. Though, I am surprised you made no comment of Mr. Drippy's absurd accent.

My kneejerk reaction to Yahtzee reviewing this:

I'm capable of enduring grindfests, but I haven't played a JRPG in a while, nor has that JRPG been made in the last 5 years. Hope my enduring the Wizard Edition disaster was worth it.

xdiesp:
Why are we complaining that a game is long, isn't our purpose to be playing it? Or are you only satisfied when you get to the end of it, as to say the reward is not the game itself... And this thing about RPGs being repetitive: are you aware that you are criticizing fantasy games that take your through magical landscapes as being repetitive and shallow, but never aknowledge that modern FPSs are about shooting the same guy for years?

There is such a thing as too much, by your logic a 6 hour movie would be the best movie of all time.

A really long game that takes a long time to finish is not as good to me as a game with tons of replay value, let's look at a game like devil may cry 3, it has great combat, is not very long, and has a ton of replay value in the form of unlockables, and you get to keep everything you have to help you in your next playthrough to unlock everything, most JRPG's on the other hand, give you nothing when you start over, change nothing as you play through the game, and you have to do all of that grinding all over again to progress through. Good JRPG's at least have something to work for, like Fire Emblem with it's support system, you have to play through the game multiple times if you want to see how everyone interacts with each other.

Also, pointing out the problems in other things does NOT give anything a free pass, if it's repetitive, it's repetitive, plain and simple, you are simply avoiding the issues at hand.

Captcha: have fun

hmm do i want to watch this video. will it be a i don't like this game and will be a jackass about it type deal

Brad Gardner:

04whim:

The Wikipedia page on kana, words like "majin" and "kanji", and the four years I spent in Japanese classes say otherwise.

As for "gee-blee" or "jee-blee", it's "jee-blee". If you're wary of Studio Ghibli's Wikipedia page because anyone can edit it, pull up an image of their logo and cross-reference the Japanese name with a katakana table. If it was pronounced "gee-blee", it would be written with that character that looks like a cross with a second horizontal bar followed by a ", not the one that sort of looks like a tilted smiley face followed by a ". Okay, there's two characters that look like smiley faces, but I don't think anyone's going to argue it's pronounced "dzoo-blee"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here