Zero Punctuation: Dead Space 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

YodaUnleashed:
This review is yet another example of Yahtzee bringing in all his preconceptions about what he expects a game to be like, in this case a horror game, rather than what the game actually is, which I think its fair to say is an action game with horror elements (though to what degree these 'horror elements' go is more up for debate).

On further reflection, it's that sort of approach to reviewing of Yahtzee's, which ends up being as much a 'review' of the game as a critique on the wider video game industry and specific game publishers/studios a lot of the time, that actually grates with me. I'd prefer it if these aforementioned elements remained in Yahtzee's weekly columns though I suppose Yahtzee clearly has his own style and he's going to do it his own way, and he may have good valid reasons for including said elements.

I suppose though that's not what I have real issue with here; my main problem is his apparent lack of a fair and unbiased opinion (as much as reasonably possible) on a game as a single product in itself. I won't deny, I'm genuinely interested in hearing what Yahztee's opinions are on a game that I have some interest in, as many of his criticisms and praises (though the latter are fewer and far between) are often valid and highly salient, but at the same time, many of his points are sadly lacking in at least some form of objectivity. I'm not saying go all out in the objectivity as it is the subjective opinions of a particular reviewer which is the reason many read/watch certain reviews in the first place, but nonetheless, this subjective opinion should be based on some form of objective framework, and Yahtzee, as I said, seems to me to rely on preconceived notions (quite outside of his own tastes and preferences which are fine to include), which really doesn't give the game a chance to stand on its own feet but rather judge it as based on what he expects from it.

He's still entertaining, and he still makes many very good valid points, but I tire of his essentially groaning and moaning when a game doesn't match what he personally envisioned for it or wanted out of it more. There's a place for that sort of critique but I don't believe it belongs in even-handed reviews; I just want to know what you thought of the game in itself, not what personal wishes you expected the game to fulfil. So what if you wanted it to be more horror orientated and less of a typical action game? I don't care about that in a review; if its an action game just tell me what's it like as an action game and a game full stop in your opinion and I can use that informed analysis to help me either decide whether it's a game that might possibly suit me or whether your criticisms and positive points correlate with my own (if I've played it already) or are ones I hadn't made myself and thus provide a different perspective.

That's how I'd review games anyway.......

Dictionary.com:
"obĚjecĚtive (adj):
Not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased."

If you want a objective game review to even exist then you'll have to wait until the SI develops a standard measurement of enjoyment. A review is by its nature biased and subjective. There is nothing to measure here. Not empirically at least.
Also I don't get what you really mean by Yahtzee starting with a preset vision of a game that can't be flipped on it's head. The Spec Ops: The Line review started the same way and he ended up praising it because of story alone. So if he didn't find anything particulary interesting about the game, then it's probably because there is simply nothing interesting.
Besides "even-handed reviews"? From the man that practically says that no-one likes him to be good to a game?

YodaUnleashed:
This review is yet another example of Yahtzee bringing in all his preconceptions about what he expects a game to be like, in this case a horror game, rather than what the game actually is

The game is part of a series, this is the only one that doesn't qualify as survival horror. So it's not okay to judge a game in a series by the other previous two titles?

YodaUnleashed:
my main problem is his apparent lack of a fair and unbiased opinion

Really? Nobody else has ever noticed that Yahtzee isn't fair to video games! How astute!

YodaUnleashed:
objectivity

I think you're bringing your preconceptions of what a reviewer should do too far into this comment and I don't believe it belongs in even-handed comments sections.

YodaUnleashed:
I don't believe it belongs in even-handed reviews; I just want to know what you thought of the game in itself, not what personal wishes you expected the game to fulfil. So what if you wanted it to be more horror orientated and less of a typical action game? I don't care about that in a review; if its an action game just tell me what's it like as an action game and a game full stop in your opinion and I can use that informed analysis to help me either decide whether it's a game that might possibly suit me or whether your criticisms and positive points correlate with my own (if I've played it already) or are ones I hadn't made myself and thus provide a different perspective.

Do you see a chart here that shows you how the game scored in five different categories? Do you see an amalgamated score at the bottom of that chart? Do you see a recommendation for purchase based on those scores?

You are asking Yahtzee to water himself down to the same shit that EVERY other game review website is already doing literally ten times a week, which, ironically, is the same thing that EA asked Dead Space to do for it's third game.

Yahtzee is rather unique in the industry that he is a part of, he reacts to games with wit and razor sharp criticism interspersed with a peerless kind of humor, but he doesn't pretend that his opinion should sell video games (I can count the number of times he's recommended a video game on one hand) and he won't simplify his criticisms into a number. If you want somebody to convince you to buy a game and give you a number you should check out any other game review website.

YodaUnleashed:
That's how I'd review games anyway.......

Great! Start your own show, but it sounds like just about every other reviewer I can think of. This is how Yahtzee reviews and reacts to video games. You can disagree with his points, there's plenty of room for that but rebuking him over four paragraphs for not directing his opinions in a fair and objective way is simply being willfully naive to the purpose that he's put himself to. He isn't fair and that's why people watch, they watch because they can trust him to point out every crucial failing that the video game industry makes with their video games. This is why praise from Yahtzee is usually worth investigating, because the role he plays is video game's harshest critic.

DVS BSTrD:

Look Buddy, I'm an engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is a horror game?" because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems

Monsters in Dead Space 3? Bitch please, Level 3 sentry over here.

This seems like a game that should have a fish be the best weapon available. I always thought Dead Space was kind of a joke from the beginning, so EA should go all the way and make a Serious Sam like game. Problem is EA can't make a fun game, so back at square one.

I couldn't disagree with Yahtzee more about this series, he doesn't like it simply because it's not the type of horror game he likes.

I love it because its loot collection 3rd person actiony fun.

He says it has no merits and it boils down to nothing, and that "all the hard work the team that worked on it" did was "white noise" o.O

Oookay.

I thought that System Shock 2 was still a good horror game that had co-op play

Legion:
My biggest criticism was the level design more than anything. It felt very repetitive to the point where my default tactic was to run to whatever corner didn't have a vent by it and wait for them to come to me.

I got into the vent-checking habit as well. The first three steps after going through any door:

1. Find a spot with no vents.
2. Walk around until you find the invisible tripwire that makes shit spawn.
3. Run to the spot with no vents.

So... yeah. Not great.

However... I would then be at step 4:

4. Fight for your ***ing life and try not to scream like a girl.

It's in step 4 that I remember why I love Dead Space.

Love the Sooty reference... although I doubt it's a reference that many people will get. Used to love that show as a kid XD.

So, a forgetable game then.

in short: dont give €A your money and dont play a game thats not even horror anymore.

not even part 1 was scarey besides the first 2 missions. good thing i saved my money and time with part and 3.

Yeah, the Dead Space series seem to be going in the same direction as the Resident Evil series. More and more focus on action and co-op. Still, as long as the story is good, then I'm willing to forgive whatever faults the gameplay might have.

Aircross:
I can only imagine "Solo Only" being called "tacked on single player" in the future where every mainstream game will have some sort of multiplayer.

*looks at BF3's "campaign"* What do you mean "in the future"? I can't think of anything more redundant and tacked on than a quicktime heavy shithouse single player experience on what is a multiplayer only series.

Squilookle:
+1 for the Sooty shout out. snip

Do I remember that magic phrase correctly? Was it "Izzy wizzy let's get busy"? Because that is a magic phrase indeed. I'd play a Sooty game as long as I Sue and Sweep were playable characters.

czarevilsam:
I thought that System Shock 2 was still a good horror game that had co-op play

Indeed. Part of that was there was barely enough supplies for one player, adding a second meant there was less to go round. Plus System Shock was menacing, more that reliant on jump scares and combat.

Damn. I was hoping they would make this their best yet since it's under attack by EA and their money goals. Unfortunately, they always pad out things and try to appeal to more audiences, killing the quality. So yeah, Dead Space.

That ending was fucking brilliant. Bravo Yahtzee. hahahaha

It isn't often that I disagree with Yahtzee, on survival horror, shooters and sandbox we seem to have the same tastes. He points out things I've been pointing out to friends for years, and suddenly everyone gets it. So it's always a surprise when I either don't agree with him outright (Wet) or don't feel he's giving a game it's fair due (... uh... I'm sure there was one, I'll think of it eventually).

Here though, Yathzee missed something fun by not exploring the co op. While it's true that the cooperative portions don't create tension very well (you know, something about you and a buddy rolling like it's the only form of forward motion that can exist, or stomping across a room while singing country music), the segments where you're playing a different game are very, very well done.

*********************************************** *****SPOILERS***** ********************************************

There are a few segments throughout the game where Cutter hallucinates while Isaac is unable to help. When my friend started talking about dead clowns, toy soldiers and birthday presents, I thought he might be cracking up. When he started shooting at things I couldn't see, I wondered if he was dicking around or the game was making him go mad. At the point where I had to defend him as he had a seizure (and after he died, when I used him to create a chokepoint and bounce rockets off his face into stuck nekromorphs) and frantically coordinate sharing health because damnit, he's doing a boss fight on his own and we didn't bring enough health (sold or moved to safe), those moments successfully created tension that wasn't in the single player game.

************************************************** ****END SPOILER WARNING********* ********************************

Also, dammit Yahtzee, take the difficulty to where it belongs. The game is actiony as hell on normal and only marginally tense on hard, but impossible is very much a survival horror game, just like it was on the first one.

Jim Sterling is a HUGE Dead Space fan isn't he? What did he have to say about this game?

amiran123:
I do find it somewhat hypocritical when people keep complaining about all the generic shooters but then proceed to buy them and play them.

There's a reason they keep being made!

More realistically, the vocal minority makes a big stink about the stagnation, and the rest of the market marches on oblivious.

There have been a few instances of flagrant hypocrisy (cue the usual pic of "Protest Left4Dead/CoD/etc usergroup on Steam, with everyone playing the game they're protesting"), but some simple math will show the non-vocal consumer response must be much larger than those who are whining.

Are there any main street horror games anymore....?

YodaUnleashed:
-snip-

Yaztee doesn't really view Zero Punctuation as a serious review, more of a bunch of nit-picks and jokes.

And to be honest neither to I.

"I wonder if there's a name for that?"

A Waste of Space.

(slow clap for genuine cleverness)

OuendanCyrus:
The Dead Space games has never been horror but I still enjoy the series, to me, the "scares" in the Dead Space games is just the signal of the start of a battle, I also can't find myself be scared at all, the loud noises resembles that of an exploding building in a modern military shooter.

I like Dead Space 3's crafting system and the attempt of being a bit more open, but I don't like how considerably easy this game is, the game just seems to love throwing medpacks at you, at one point, I had around 20 medium medpacks in my safe that I don't think I ever used.

Just because you don't get scared doesn't mean it isn't horror . In my opinion , Dead space is an action horror game , NOT a survival horror . Unless you take survival in the most litteral sense, and if you do that then every game where you can die is a survival game .

OT: I loved the ending to this video , very clever.

I'm very satisfied with what Yahtzee had to say about Dead Space 3.

I mean yeah the series never had horror going for it, but the atmosphere was still intense and the game had great story telling. In the third game, it feels way to action-y along the fact Ellie betrays you because .. the game needed some sort of love triangle involved?

*facepalm*

Still.. I mean the third game was fun but to me, EA screwed over the series by milking it. Pretty obvious when they've stated that if DS3 doesn't sell over five million that they're going to pull the plug on the franchise. Very obvious indeed...

I loved this review.

Squilookle:
+1 for the Sooty shout out- but we're all still waiting for that Farming Simulator 2013 review you surely have tucked away somewhere. Perhaps it fell down the back of the couch or something. Have you checked the sock drawer?

Me and this video agree.

I do not follow this game serie but from what I am seeing through previews and reviews, they aren't doing it right. It being 'space horror'.There is definitely something to work with here. What (I think) is scary about space is the enormous vastness and emptiness. Another remark I have, why is the modern, state of the art spaceship so dark? Why not make it brightly lit and neat and tidy like in Moon and 2001:... . There should only be you and your mind (and maybe some sort of AI running things). Of course this would be hard to pull off. Not every development team has a Kubrick or Lynch in there ranks.

Reynaert:
I do not follow this game serie but from what I am seeing through previews and reviews, they aren't doing it right. It being 'space horror'.There is definitely something to work with here. What (I think) is scary about space is the enormous vastness and emptiness. Another remark I have, why is the modern, state of the art spaceship so dark? Why not make it brightly lit and neat and tidy like in Moon and 2001:... . There should only be you and your mind (and maybe some sort of AI running things). Of course this would be hard to pull off. Not every development team has a Kubrick or Lynch in there ranks.

I think a Silent Hill style game set in space could work very well. Maybe on a moon base or space station. And you're the only human character there. In fact screw Dead Space, let's make this.

Dead Space was never a horror game. It was an action game trying to be a horror game but never managing it for even a moment.
I guess they just decided to drop it and focus on the action. And I thought it was okay for the most part.

Want horror? Play Amnesia. Play STALKER. Or Penumbra. Or New Vegas with the ExistenZ mod. Play fucking anything that understands that human fear goes beyond "ew that's gross" and "oh wow, another monster spawner vent" and "oh, more scare chords".

mm anybody know How was EarthGov was so easily overthrown and narrowed down to 4 people?. None Horror aside its an ok action game, anything with status equiped to the boomtube. kinda makes every other weapon useless.Was expecting a twist like, the red marker wasnt a complete copy, where the black marker would reanimate people the red one would do the same but slightly different.

Loved the ending to this episode xD
The whole spaceception was a nice touch :P

Sylocat:

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Luckily the series ended just as I was running out of sci-fi authors

Oh please, you think they're going to stop making Dead Space games, if the third one sells even remotely well?

EA's said they'd take the series out behind the woodshed if it didn't sell 3m copies.

Aaron Sylvester:
Jim Sterling is a HUGE Dead Space fan isn't he? What did he have to say about this game?

He gave it an 8/10. The review's over on Destructoid.

I'd love it if Yahtzee reviewed System Shock 2...

IMHO, someone needs to revoke EA's license to print money. Cause this is just getting a tad ridiculous. Ever since the whole SW:TOR thing with Bioware (which btw half there production staff has up and left the group) It's gone steadily down hill. Seriously if I see another piece of garbage from EA I think I am gonna hurl.

*Jocko McDickslurp Materializes from behind!*

Think that line might have had more apprehension then the entire game.

And so, Dead Space becomes yet another series that lost its uniqueness to bland shooting affairs left and right, like Resident Evil and Mass Effect. If this is the way games are going, I'm not going to bother with the next generation of consoles.

Starke:

franksands:
So does this means that Dead Space is now Spunk-Gargle-Wee-Wee?

No, but it is a shooter that will let you make a gun that shoots shrukens saw blades and lightning.

So wait does that mean that if was labeled a shooter instead of a horror game, Yahtzee would have liked it?

My head hurts I'mma go lie down...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or