Unskippable: Tales of Graces F - Part Two

Pages PREV 1 2

ritchards:
That seems to be a really slow game. 'Assbell, attack!' '....I ..... well .... '

...did they cut to the sky to avoid having to animate handing over a flower??

To be fair, having two characters hands interacting without major geometry penetration is a gigantic pain in the ass. You see it most often with handshakes where the camera pulls up to shoulder height to avoid having having to actually show it. It gets even harder if the 2 characters aren't the exact same height(based on the animation skeleton).

The call to do a hand interaction cutaway is usually made due to the amount of time it takes the artist to do the animation right is better spent getting more important aspects of the game done.

If that kid really said "Cheese it!" I would have lost my shit...
But I did when Graham said it anyway.

this was painful and funny to watch.

As someone who loves the Tales series, pre-ordered this game, picked up on day 1, and loves this game, even I have to admit that this childhood arc was a drag to play through. It only takes about 4 hours to play through, but it can definitely feel quite long when it seems super cliche and the characters just seem unlikable at first(Asbel was such a brat, although it was interesting to see his behavior change whenever he was in the presence of a knight).

But in the end, I am glad that I played through it, because it helped me to become more emotionally invested in the characters when the Adulthood Arc came rolling around, and the Childhood Arc does pick up around the end, "and shit gets real" to be fair, so the arc wasn't a complete bore. Oh, and the combat made things a bit more enjoyable, even though it was a heavily restricted version of the main combat system.

I am really not ashamed to admit that I lost it completely when he did the Homstar quote. Don't know why it just made my day.

Next GPLP!
Next GPGP!
*beats drum*
Next GPLP!

...I'm actually curious about the halo. In the closeup it seemed to have magitechnological stripes on it, so maybe it's not just a texture error?

The Random One:
Next GPLP!
Next GPGP!
*beats drum*
Next GPLP!

...I'm actually curious about the halo. In the closeup it seemed to have magitechnological stripes on it, so maybe it's not just a texture error?

The halo thing is actually part of the story later on.

Calling it now, she's a robot with something to do with that... thing in the sky...

belfazof:

James5mith:

fabiank22:
THIS should be the next Let's Play!

Agreed. This was the first Unskippable in awhile that has had me actually laughing out loud. Good work you two.

This would be an awesome Let's Play

I fourth'd this idea! I would love to see what these guys are like as adults. I can't imagine them being worse...right?

And I have to see the exciting conclusion if she really is a flower!

And of course, the sad truth is that none of this characters are kids, it's just the new trend in anime-styled things to make adults seem extremely young.

Okay, that's probably not it, but it would be funny if that wast true.

Without a doubt one of the best unskippable episodes I've seen. It's a perfect mix when you guys have the cheesy dialogue material to work with. "Is that flower...for me?" was well exploited.

A lot of people seem to be bashing this child arc, but to me with dialogue like this I would probably find it much more entertaining to play through than if it ever got all serious.

I know that J-RPGs are an easy mark, but this show was really, really funny.
d(^_^)b

The Random One:
Next GPLP!
Next GPGP!
*beats drum*
Next GPLP!

I second that motion!

"I do what I'm told."
made me lol so hard

Annnnd we are back to HILARIOUS JRPGs!

But if the ladies are snuggling up to Asbel, where does Hubert go? Or is he included in 'ladies'?

Theres going to be a new Atelier coming out soon, you guys plan on doing that one?

> Asthmatic Character

All I thought was

Hey, this could end up going well, okay. We just need a shrine maiden, a witch who doesn't give a shit and a vampire with an assassin for a maid.

DeltaEdge:
As someone who loves the Tales series, pre-ordered this game, picked up on day 1, and loves this game, even I have to admit that this childhood arc was a drag to play through. It only takes about 4 hours to play through, but it can definitely feel quite long when it seems super cliche and the characters just seem unlikable at first(Asbel was such a brat, although it was interesting to see his behavior change whenever he was in the presence of a knight).

Excuse me but... it only takes four hours? There's nothing "only" about that.

Lazy:

DeltaEdge:

When you are talking about a 40+ hour game, 4 hours isn't very much. There are plenty of JRPGs that take a fairly long time to pick up, but are still enjoyable nonetheless. If you have a good enough amount of time to spare, you can knock this arc out and get to the main arc in one sitting.

DeltaEdge:
When you are talking about a 40+ hour game, 4 hours isn't very much. There are plenty of JRPGs that take a fairly long time to pick up, but are still enjoyable nonetheless. If you have a good enough amount of time to spare, you can knock this arc out and get to the main arc in one sitting.

Regardless of the overall length of the game, I feel like four hours is way too long a time to expect a player to invest before things actually get interesting.

Lazy:

DeltaEdge:

Regardless of the overall length of the game, I feel like four hours is way too long a time to expect a player to invest before things actually get interesting.

That's your personal feeling on the matter though. That kind of thing is completely relative, so claiming that "There's nothing "only" about" having to play 4 hours to get to the story really isn't a solid point, because not everyone will feel the same way about it. Like I said in my case, 4 hours really isn't that much, especially if the game has promise, and there are plenty of others who feel the same, especially if you are a JRPG fan, as JRPGs are notorious for starting out slowly. Although on the contrary, if you tend to play shorter games, or don't want to have to wait on your games to get good, then 4 hours will probably seem like an insurmountable gap between you and the real content.

DeltaEdge:
That's your personal feeling on the matter though.

Hence why I said "I feel."

It's not that I dislike slow pacing, mind you. I think many games today could benefit from a little more restraint, but to me four friggin' hours seems way too long for a game to get going, because if I've already been playing for that long I'm likely to assume things aren't going to improve. In that time, I could be at least half-way through a novel.

But hey, I don't play many JRPG's (for many of the reasons demonstrated in this video) so I just have a lower tolerance for that kind of thing.

Lazy:

DeltaEdge:
That's your personal feeling on the matter though.

Hence why I said "I feel."

It's not that I dislike slow pacing, mind you. I think many games today could benefit from a little more restraint, but to me four friggin' hours seems way too long for a game to get going, because if I've already been playing for that long I'm likely to assume things aren't going to improve. In that time, I could be at least half-way through a novel.

But hey, I don't play many JRPG's (for many of the reasons demonstrated in this video) so I just have a lower tolerance for that kind of thing.

I understand that you said "I feel." and was not trying to mix up what you said. I was referring to your first response to me.

I'm completely fine with you feeling that 4 hours is too long of a wait, that is completely reasonable, but the way you stated that wasn't that of the way you express an opinion, that was more you making an objective statement. Regardless of whether or not you actually meant that as something that objectively holds true, I have been arguing with you solely on the basis that I don't feel that that statement was correct. But if you are just saying that 4 hours is too long for your preference, but not for everyone, then I take no issue with that.

Also, half a novel in 4 hours? Maybe I am just a super slow reader, because that seems ridiculous to me.
Or maybe I just have never sat down and actually read a book for 4 hours straight.

DeltaEdge:
Also, half a novel in 4 hours? Maybe I am just a super slow reader, because that seems ridiculous to me.
Or maybe I just have never sat down and actually read a book for 4 hours straight.

If I get really into a book I tend to read through the whole thing in one or two sittings.

admittedly I found this to be more riveting than the Tales of Vesperia opening lol

tho Tales of Symphonia is still the best (tho it too had unintentional hilariousness that worked)

By far one of the funniest things I have watched recently, tied with Top Gear.

JRPG's are always good fodder for the Unskippable treatment. Excellent two-parter.

I didn't watch the last one.

But my God. I love Tales of Graces f. One of my favourite games that has come out in recent year.

It's nice to see people actually commenting on it. It seems that the game doesn't get talked about very much, which is a part of why it could have sold better. I believe part of this is the fact that Bandai Namco doesn't market Tales games. At all.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here