Movie Defense Force: Rampage

Pages PREV 1 2

I watched and enjoyed this film before I knew it was an Uwe film...
Safe to say I was shocked.

I saw it, I liked it, and I didn't expect that ending.

Darth_Payn:
Who is this movie for?

People who don't realize that murderers and monsters are still human beings with human motivations, and that violence is ugly and not dramatic, I suppose. And that's not a bad purpose for a movie; it really and truly isn't. However, I already know these things, and don't want to watch this movie. I am not pissed off enough by the five seconds of footage I'm griping about to make a stink over it if I'm at someone's house and they toss the disc into the 360, but I certainly have no interest in seeking it out for myself, nor even of watching it on TV if there's a rerun of Law & Order I could be watching instead.

While the movie's subject matter was good, I find the realism highly lacking. I had a very hard time with suspension of disbelief. The armor suit would have been very unreliable due to ricochets and the laughable responses from the police (not to mention getting firearms like that shipped to an unverified dealer without proper identification and paperwork is damn near impossible, it would have been more believable had he bought them on the street).

On the plus side (for the film, not the subject matter) the character was somewhat believable and I think that is the only thing that made this movie striking at all. The ending was fairly well thought out (except for all of the ammo casings have his fingerprints on them) so I will also give it that.

All in all it wasn't a bad movie, it wasn't great. It did the job at showing why senseless violence is so horrible, so thumbs up I guess.

SonOfVoorhees:
Saw this movie a few times, its awesome, clever in its way with the ending. How the main character planned everything and how he did it. Worse part is, he is a likable guy.

Just seems his game related movies suck ass.

thanks for this i was feeling bad about thinking this film looked awesome guess im not alone in that after all.

OT: Jim You savin Hellraiser 3 for a rainy day or what?

I thought it was decent. The shakecam was shit, but honestly not worse than say.. transformers or other "top production" movies.
My biggest beef with it was that he's actually doing it out of what he thinks is right. I think it'd be better if he'd just done it for the money and well... because he could. That there'd be no real purpose, just an easy way out of a shit life.

The thing is that it's entertaining while it's not trying to be more than what it is, with an interesting ending.
I'd rather pay for this than most of what came out last year in cinemas, even if it means supporting Uwe Boll.

Ah, the one Uwe Boll movie that's actually quite good.

It's a brutal movie that shouldn't be enjoyable to watch, and it isn't. But the subject matter and the way it's portrayed is so well done that it makes for a good movie.

Ariseishirou:

DVS BSTrD:
I wouldn't call this American violence, I'd call it violence.

But everyone's speaking in an American accent.

Hollywood thin? Really? I must live in Hollywood then.

Where do you live, then? CDC stats list the average BMI of every single state but Utah as overweight, and Utah is under by a sliver (http://www.insureme.com/insurance/bmi-index-state)>

You've obviously never eaten in a StarBucks during an election year.

I think it's "Starbucks" and yes, I absolutely have. And there were plenty of fat people in it. Or are you suggesting that they stuff them full of thin people on purpose during election years for the cameras? Because that proves my point, really.

If we follow the BMI, Brad Pitt and Michael Jordan are overweight. Russle Crowe and George Clooney are obese.

MortisLegio:
My only complaint with the film is the ending.

Though I do think this is a very well done film, and definitely Uwe Boll's best film, recent events have made it very difficult to show to other people.

barbzilla:
(not to mention getting firearms like that shipped to an unverified dealer without proper identification and paperwork is damn near impossible, it would have been more believable had he bought them on the street).

You would think that but its not.

I shit you not this story happened to me;

Three weeks ago I was having two automatic assault rifles delivered to my FFL, Federal Firearms License, dealer (Probably best not to ask why) as per federal law. Fedex couldnt contact him to come pick them up, they took a look at the invoice and saw who the person who ordered the items was, their solution? Come to my house...With two assault rifles... and hand them to me.

I was staring at the person dumb founded and asked them if they realized how many federal laws they were breaking, handed the weapons back and told them to fucking try harder to contact the dealer, as I didnt want to be implicated in any way with that kinda fuckup lol

And on the topic of the armor, that stuff WORKS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout

Desert Punk:

barbzilla:
(not to mention getting firearms like that shipped to an unverified dealer without proper identification and paperwork is damn near impossible, it would have been more believable had he bought them on the street).

Three weeks ago I was having two automatic assault rifles delivered to my FFL, Federal Firearms License, dealer (Probably best not to ask why) as per federal law. Fedex couldnt contact him to come pick them up, they took a look at the invoice and saw who the person who ordered the items was, their solution? Come to my house...With two assault rifles... and hand them to me.

I was staring at the person dumb founded and asked them if they realized how many federal laws they were breaking, handed the weapons back and told them to fucking try harder to contact the dealer, as I didnt want to be implicated in any way with that kinda fuckup lol

I wasn't trying to say armor in general doesn't work, I was saying his spot welded armor wouldn't work. During the scene with the cops shooting at him he turns around and curls up, this exposes the plates undersides causing ricochets to go inside the plates and bounce between the fabric and the metal. This is that armor's weak point, as well as the exposed plating at the neckline.

As for your weapons, that is a federal law breach and could cause them to be imprisoned for no less than 5 years for arms trafficking, all over a small mix-up. This is why I say it is hard. People misrepresent automatic weapons in america and think that every beer drinking redneck has one. That is why people are pushing so hard on the anti-gun laws is because of how mis-represented guns actually are.

Completely off topic though, I loved Desert Punk, great anime

UNHchabo:
Everyone should watch LoadingReadyRun's interview with Dr. Boll:

http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/330/An-Interview-with-Uwe-Boll

Even if it doesn't raise your opinion of his movies, it may change your opinion of the man himself.

That was great - thanks for the recommendation. Graham looks crazy young, esp. compared to the broken husk we see before us these days. (joking, of course)

Ukomba:
Recent events make this movie even more uncomfortable.

i agree, but i also think it sort of highlights and gives more depth into some of these spree killings.

they're not really random, they're thought out and heavily planned acts of violence that can happen anywere.

kind of find it funny how not a single person in small town USA was packing though. Armor or not, a .308 would have put his ass down. but eh, its a movie.

Desert Punk:

barbzilla:

to both of those points, they still knew who the guns were going to, but what ever, error on the delivery companies part.

on the second, the north hollywood shootout.
California at the time had an assault rifle ban, as did the US. so none of the cops were packing anything bigger than a 9mm. so of course that armor is going to stop it when they're able to keep cops at a distance.
Infact the swat team had to raid a gun store for AR-15s and high powered rifles to take them down. One shot himself, the other pinned some cops down and they shot his ankles out from under a car.

Insane stuff. Goes to show criminals will fucking load up regardless of laws.

DVS BSTrD:
It's only living in America that makes it easier to pull off.

Not really. And ignoring crime in the UK is actually more rampant, even when adjusting for their absolutely insane definitions of what 'assault' and 'violence' is. When everyone else is armed, its kind of a piss poor idea to be the one to cause trouble.
I actually blame cultural influences that give people an idea of zero consequences for their actions, which has helped lead to the 'popularity' of gang culture which has caused a rise and street crime. Because thats what the majority of the USAs gun murders are anyway, gang on gang related shootings.

But on the bright side overall crime and murder has been steadily decreasing over the years (oddly enough gun ownership has been growing at a similar rate...hmmm...are the two relat- YES...They are...)

Honestly if we'd actually guard our borders we could solve alot of problems. And pull off what Kennesaw Georgia did.
http://www.wnd.com/2007/04/41196/
but extend it to all types of rifles including 'assault' rifles....just because that's fucking awesome, and i want one.

Trucken:

MortisLegio:
My only complaint with the film is the ending.

Though I do think this is a very well done film, and definitely Uwe Boll's best film, recent events have made it very difficult to show to other people.

Meh, agree to disagree I guess...
I would have preferred pure insanity to any rhyme or reason to his action but that's just me.

just a little complaint is that he goes on this rampage an yet it seems like no one calls 911 even though he just shot a guy in a crowded area, it doesn't matter if its in a small town because there were people seeing it, and by saying no one calls 911 I mean it how he just goes around 'everywhere' with little to no interference. That's my complaint and please don't accuse me of something like "you didn't get the message" or something like that I was just pointing one thing out.

barbzilla:
While the movie's subject matter was good, I find the realism highly lacking. I had a very hard time with suspension of disbelief. The armor suit would have been very unreliable due to ricochets and the laughable responses from the police (not to mention getting firearms like that shipped to an unverified dealer without proper identification and paperwork is damn near impossible, it would have been more believable had he bought them on the street).

On the plus side (for the film, not the subject matter) the character was somewhat believable and I think that is the only thing that made this movie striking at all. The ending was fairly well thought out (except for all of the ammo casings have his fingerprints on them) so I will also give it that.

All in all it wasn't a bad movie, it wasn't great. It did the job at showing why senseless violence is so horrible, so thumbs up I guess.

As far as the armor goes, read up on the North Hollywood shootout in `93 where two guys with assault weapons and body armor took on 300 cops. Laughable response from the police.. Most of them were blown to smithereens. In a small town you don`t have hundreds of cops, you have maybe half a dozen squad cars and a small police force. Cops rely heavily on their ability to coordinate their actions to locate and surround a situation. Take out those radio dispatchers and the cops are by their lonesome. Also regarding the 911 calls, I`m sure there would be calls all piling in, there`s just no one there to take them.

Sure there was luck involved that a bullet didn't find that one chink in the armor, but sometimes the bad guy gets lucky too.

Also I thought the shipments received were the armor plates, not the guns themselves.

I watched this after seeing Jim`s recommendation and I agree that it`s worth seeing.

Tygerml:

barbzilla:

As far as the armor goes, read up on the North Hollywood shootout in `93 where two guys with assault weapons and body armor took on 300 cops. Laughable response from the police.. Most of them were blown to smithereens. In a small town you don`t have hundreds of cops, you have maybe half a dozen squad cars and a small police force. Cops rely heavily on their ability to coordinate their actions to locate and surround a situation. Take out those radio dispatchers and the cops are by their lonesome. Also regarding the 911 calls, I`m sure there would be calls all piling in, there`s just no one there to take them.

Sure there was luck involved that a bullet didn't find that one chink in the armor, but sometimes the bad guy gets lucky too.

Also I thought the shipments received were the armor plates, not the guns themselves.

I watched this after seeing Jim`s recommendation and I agree that it`s worth seeing.

I was about to point you to my previous post, but I'll reiterate. It isn't that body armor doesn't work, in fact it can work very well. It is how that body armor was designed that I have issues with. The way it was designed to look cool caused very dangerous openings for bullets to ricochet underneath a plate.

As for the shipping, it was the guns. That was part of how he set it up to look like his friend was the killer. I don't think anyone would bother tracking steel plates being shipped (other than the shipping company), but it never does specify.

I actually just watched this a few weeks ago. It's still in my mind. I loved it. It was very disturbing and real. I never got the impression at anytime of it being fictional. It was something I'd fully expect to see on the news and then I kinda did with the whole Chris Dorner situation(Though I still think he is or was innocent.).

I particularly praise the ending which showed the Dad situation. In a regular Hollywood film I'd expect them to miss that fact and I'd be left groaning at a plot hole. Instead they did exactly what would be a logical response from the father(sorry trying not to spoil.)

I looked this up on imdb because I figured there'd be an interesting discussion on it. Boy was I wrong. Its just a couple nut jobs arguing left and right wing politics that seem idiotic when they try to apply them to the film.

barbzilla:

Tygerml:

barbzilla:

I was about to point you to my previous post, but I'll reiterate. It isn't that body armor doesn't work, in fact it can work very well. It is how that body armor was designed that I have issues with. The way it was designed to look cool caused very dangerous openings for bullets to ricochet underneath a plate.

As for the shipping, it was the guns. That was part of how he set it up to look like his friend was the killer. I don't think anyone would bother tracking steel plates being shipped (other than the shipping company), but it never does specify.

Naw it was the plates and he set it up intentionally to look like his friend did it. Basically in the post investigation they'd find all that stuff had been shipped to his dad they can't legally ship guns like that. I forget where he got those. I also think his armor was multilayered which would explained why he had to work out so much just to be able to walk in it. I'll have to go rewatch at some point it was at least plates and a layer or two of kevlar. I also agree smalltown cops are boobs and decent folk at best. They played out exactly as one would expect.

piscian:
[quote="barbzilla" post="6.403443.16690686"]snipped for verbosity

The movie clearly shows him making the steel plates while he is on his lunch break at the auto shop, and I am aware of it being illegal to ship any type of firearm to a non-ffl licensed person. It never shows kevlar, but I, like you, assumed it was used as the base. Unfortunately kevlar doesn't stop much without the plates in it, but we will say that it did manage to stop the bullets, he would have still had broken ribs. While the rounds won't penetrate the armor (I mean police standard issue is 9mm so it would probably stop it) the kinetic energy is still going to have to be absorbed. Unfortunately cloth doesn't do that very well, so the body ends up absorbing that energy. In the scene in question he would not have walked away uninjured period, and that is assuming that his armor does work.

I assumed it had to be either the weapons or the ammo that was shipped to his friend's place to aid in the set up as you said. Steel plates are way too common and easy to obtain for that to have been any factor in securing proof. There is also the issue of their being zero response to the police station bombing. With a bombing of that size the national guard would have been there in hours, and the state law enforcement would have been there in less than an hour.

This is all besides the point though. Like I said, I enjoyed the movie and thought it was fairly well done. Those were my only issues, and it was only an issue as far as suspension of disbelief. I think that the errors that were made were done so with the intention of effect on the story, and as such it works perfectly.

Jorias:
Why is this fat British jerk allowed near a mic? or a computer? or Air? Calling this film "Compelling" "facinating" and even trying to argue the point that Uwe the wannabe Director, is in anyway a person who makes movies, is just laughable. I think Jim Sterling needs to do something more productive, like find out why his dad left him or something he doesn't belong on The Escapist, or the internet, time and time again iv'e had to stop midway through your video's because either; your point is moot and is ran into the ground by similar videos that do it better, or because you're soo undramatically stupid that you make me want to build a time machine so i can go shoot your parents....just shut dude...please!

I have an idea. It might be a bit drastic, but hear me out. If you don't like his work, don't watch it! Is it that hard to do? On top of that why bother making personal attacks on him, if you have an issue with the almighty Jim's work, then you need to back that up with a reasonable argument that addresses the content, not a rude personal attack ending with a cliched time travel murder.

Of all the movies you could choose to "defend" I don't understand why you would pick this one. I saw it a few years back and absolutely despised it. It's not a clever, realistic movie about the horrors of mass murder, its a celebration of it. The movie is completely glorifying the serial killer.

Some of the scenes literally turned my fucking stomach, like when he mows down an innocent group of young women after showing them his face. But you only have good things to say about that, right?

Mossberg Shotty:
Of all the movies you could choose to "defend" I don't understand why you would pick this one. I saw it a few years back and absolutely despised it. It's not a clever, realistic movie about the horrors of mass murder, its a celebration of it. The movie is completely glorifying the serial killer.

Some of the scenes literally turned my fucking stomach, like when he mows down an innocent group of young women after showing them his face. But you only have good things to say about that, right?

Real life doesn't follow a three act structure. Real life doesn't play fair - good people suffer, bastards live like princes, and sometimes murderers escape.

The movie turned your stomach? Good! That's the whole point!

PrinceOfShapeir:

Mossberg Shotty:

Real life doesn't follow a three act structure. Real life doesn't play fair - good people suffer, bastards live like princes, and sometimes murderers escape.

The movie turned your stomach? Good! That's the whole point!

Thats a weak excuse. I'm quite familiar with the fact that life isn't fair, and that good things happen to bad people, but I don't see anything redeemable about this portrayal, and that doesn't even seem like the point its trying to hammer home. And saying "Thats the point" can be plastered onto anything as justification, but that hardly makes it valid. That would be like if I said that the point of Indie movies was to wate two hours of your life. Also the whole thing about how the film somehow encourages the idea that 'murder is bad; seems to fall a little flat.

Sorry, but you don't get points for pointing out the well established/painfully obvious.

It looks well made, and I was disturbed by just looking at the clips. I think this movie should exist But as someone who is a good friend of a girl that survived five shots from the Ut°ya massacre I dont think I would stomach to watch it.

They should make a good movie that conveys the sudden dread and fear from beeing in a chaos caused by a single sad person going postal. PTSD for children abounds!

Hypocritically I would not condem a fetish-torture movie pshycological and physical on this this rampage guy after we got him humanized. I think there might be some evolutionary mechanics that makes me want something like that. A instinct of revenge or justice. I dont want that to happen to actual mass murderers though, because we should distance ourselves from them, even if we should understand them.

I feel confident in using Us/them terminology here. They are human, but they are the worst kind. If your life goes is shit dont go blame everyone and everything else.

There are some Uwe gems out there I think his ego is what gives him the bad rap. Rampage was pretty good and when I saw it I always wondered why he doesn't bring more stuff like this out. I also thought it was based on the game Rampage, of course, and I was dissapointed that it didn't have giant gorrilas, lizards or wolves.

His House of The Dead movie was fun to watch as well, I enjoyed it.

Ariseishirou:

DVS BSTrD:

Where do you live, then? CDC stats list the average BMI of every single state but Utah as overweight, and Utah is under by a sliver (http://www.insureme.com/insurance/bmi-index-state)>

I think it's "Starbucks" and yes, I absolutely have. And there were plenty of fat people in it. Or are you suggesting that they stuff them full of thin people on purpose during election years for the cameras? Because that proves my point, really.

Yeah, his anecdotal evidence is WAY WORSE than yours.

Undeadpool:

Ariseishirou:

DVS BSTrD:

Yeah, his anecdotal evidence is WAY WORSE than yours.

CDC statistics are anecdotal evidence these days?

Since we're talking about the American obesity epidemic, let's have on about their failing public education system while we're at it. Seems relevant right about now.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here