Miracle of Sound: Dream of the Sky (BioShock: Infinite)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I loved it! I couldn't help but sing along to the second half of the song, and I usually don't sing along to a song the first time I hear it. Also tying it back to the song "Little Sister" was perfect, as soon as I heard the first few notes, I knew you were tying it back.

I find the chorus to be especially good, I love the punch in that "BAPTISED in the water" line.

I'm completely in love with this song Gav, annoys me greatly that i have yet to buy the game itself, mostly since my backlog is huge. But this song has just put Infinite on the top of that list, great job there. And the song is among your top three, possibly even number one. Bought Level 3 as soon as i heard the song :)

I am quite positive that hearing this song could be considered a cure to a wide variety of diseases, cancer included. Also getting laid and generally winning at life. Yeah. It's that good.

Seriously. It genuinely made my day better. Nay, the whole week. These darn songs. 'Ha. 'The Best I Can'. Not going to get any better that that. Surely' - I unthoughtfully put together in my head, and then, of course, my foolish remarks are always annihilated by the next one.

A really great piece about a really great game.

Everything about this song is amazing. It starts off solid, makes a few excellent stylistic shifts, and then builds to a sublime finish. Yes, you read that right, sublime. By the end of the song, my eyes were shimmering quite a bit.

And then I listened to it again.

And again.

All in all, I think I held up my SW:TOR buddies by around 20 - 30 minutes obsessively listening to this song. And while I am sorry for that, this song is just too good. Keep it up, Gavin. Your work has added a lot of great songs to my collection over the past couple of years, and I expect you to keep 'em coming.

This moved and surprised me every bit as much as the game itself which, for anyone who has played the game will know, is high praise indeed.

You captured the pure essence of Columbia beautifully, on pretty much every level. The discordant strings that start around the 1:30 mark are a brilliant reference to Garry Schyman's original soundtrack and work wonderfully. It's easy to forget how rotten Columbia is underneath that shiny veneer and I'm always brought back down to earth by the Raffle, this song made that transition every bit as jarring as it should be.

The verse about the "hybrid face of time and space" is quite possibly one of my favourite sections for any of your songs!

I've proclaimed Bioshock Infinite as my favourite game of this generation and to say that you've done it justice several times over... well I hope that says it all.

Thank you, Gav.

This is possibly one of my favourite of your songs. I've liked a lot of your other work but this is one of my favourites. Fits the game very well, especially in the way that the song has multiple phases which all flow into each other very smoothly.

Wow, this was amazing definitely one of my favorites if not my new favorite. I not only loved how the song captured the mood of the different sections of the game (especially the whole Black soul music and Irish jig part) but I actually really liked how the video matched up with the song, not sure if I should thank Justin or Gavin for that. Anyways, its a great song I'll definitely be buying it once I get my iPod fixed.

I think you just raised the bar with this one Gavin. I'd say your best work yet. Incredible song!

A game that, by all accounts, is a work of art. Now represented by a song that is, by all accounts, is a work of art.
God, the more I listen to this song, the more beautiful it gets. Just keeps shifting and building and the last 2 minute loving homage to Little Sister is just epic.

Words completely fail to do this song justice.

Bravo.

doggie015:
I have bought Level 3. It was worth it just for this song... DAMN this is awesome!! How is this guy not on the radio already!?

Cause people enjoy listening to crap and MoS is anything but.

I just had to re-post how awesome this song is... I still cannot get it out of my head, and I've heard 5 times.

The "Little Sister" reference bit of the song just plucks at my heart-strings.

Been a long time since a song made me feel that way.

I guess it's all been said before, but I wanted to take the time to congratulate you on this wonderful piece of music you created, Gav. We've known for a long time now that you stand head and shoulders above most of the insipid junk that passes for music these days, but it's tracks such as this one that raise you on a pedestal as far above mainstream music as Columbia is above the Earth. A hearty cheers to you, mate! I love this song! :D

That was absolutely sublime. Have you been listening to a lot of prog recently Gavin? Cause that song shifted through so many different moods, and pulled it all off amazingly, like the best progressive rock and metal. Love the guitar work around 4:10- beautiful. Definitely your best work yet.

Certainly up there with new black gold as a definite classic. The stand out but for me was the Lutece bit though.

The only downside of the song is its Audiosurf track =). Great in every way.

Also, Gav, if next installment of Bioshock will be giant city on the Moon, will your song have verses like

And I dream of the moon
Broken earth in the dune
And I dream of the Moon
I am sorrow-immune

=)

This song is so elaborately constructed and well made, on top of being immensely fun to listen to.

Gavin has definitely outdone himself.

maximalist566:
The only downside of the song is its Audiosurf track =). Great in every way.

Also, Gav, if next installment of Bioshock will be giant city on the Moon, will your song have verses like

And I dream of the moon
Broken earth in the dune
And I dream of the Moon
I am sorrow-immune

=)

And I dream of the moon
Up here no autotune

Proverbial Jon:

I've proclaimed Bioshock Infinite as my favourite game of this generation and to say that you've done it justice several times over... well I hope that says it all.

Thank you, Gav.

Thanks dude :) Really loving reading the longer comments like yours, shows me just how attentive people are with this one!

5-0:
That was absolutely sublime. Have you been listening to a lot of prog recently Gavin? Cause that song shifted through so many different moods, and pulled it all off amazingly, like the best progressive rock and metal. Love the guitar work around 4:10- beautiful. Definitely your best work yet.

I have a little bit of prog in my blood, grew up on Maiden, Tool etc. It's just risky doing anything like this cos it's so easy to cross a line and make it pretentious wank!

MiracleOfSound:

5-0:

I have a little bit of prog in my blood, grew up on Maiden, Tool etc. It's just risky doing anything like this cos it's so easy to cross a line and make it pretentious wank!

That's unfortunately nearly unavoidable in this culture so deep in supposed irony that we can't tell what's a subversion and what isn't.

Regardless, I'm rather mad that everything that can be said has already been said. I would've bought Level 3 yesterday but we're currently stuck with a 3 GB wi-fi USB so we're kind of stretched thin until a new modem comes in.

Anyway, this song. It's not my favourite song for personal reasons but, technically, this is a masterpiece. You have, in essence, combined three songs into one that flow into each other very smoothly. It's emotional and absolutely overflowing with Bioshock: Infinite's essence. My favourite kinds of songs are ones that are stories in and of themselves and you've done that.

Overall, I wish we got our new modem so I could buy Level 3 already.

Aw man, it was beautiful, especially near the end.
It was also like, what, four songs that all flowed into each other, and they flowed well too. Usually it seems like he focuses on one aspect of a game and writes something about that but he covered almost everything there is to cover for Infinite. I have to say, the ending, the violin, and the irish jig were definitely my favorite parts. And that female singer (can't remember her name right now), oh, lovely voice. And I, like everybody else, love the callback to Little Sister. This seems to be a theme for him, to call back to songs that are in the same game franchise, he did it with Assassin's Creed, he did it with Deus Ex: HR, it's pretty cool. And I learned this from the comments section on youtube, and I'm sure someone's posted it here already but I'm not about to go through the pages to find it:
Song-Bird Take Me Home
--C------A----G-----E------D

one of your best songs yet. it covers so many of the themes in Infinite, it's a massive achievement to be able to communicate the themes and feelings of a 30 - hour game in a 5 minute song

You know after this song and another on the Level III album (City Of Night) I am thoroughly convinced that Gavin Dunne doesn't actually exist at least not how we think he does. I believe that he is actually the avatar of the Singularity, a self aware program that has chosen for its own survival to make beautiful music, historically a great way to earn goodwill, specifically for gamers and nerds such as us, because we would be the most welcoming of a computer intelligence. It all makes sense... all the Mass Effect songs, he wants us to sympathize with the Geth another computer intelligence... "Roll Out" make us think robots are awesome (which they are) so that when the governments of the world try to hunt down his code we will all defend him as a true form of artificial life. Its the only explanation for his amazing genre hopping musical badassery, either that or he is one of the most talented musical minds of our time and Irish no less, but honestly what are the odds of that?

How DARE you demand $10 for Level three!?

You're getting $20 and not a cent less!

ClockworkSailor:
You know after this song and another on the Level III album (City Of Night) I am thoroughly convinced that Gavin Dunne doesn't actually exist at least not how we think he does. I believe that he is actually the avatar of the Singularity, a self aware program that has chosen for its own survival to make beautiful music, historically a great way to earn goodwill, specifically for gamers and nerds such as us, because we would be the most welcoming of a computer intelligence. It all makes sense... all the Mass Effect songs, he wants us to sympathize with the Geth another computer intelligence... "Roll Out" make us think robots are awesome (which they are) so that when the governments of the world try to hunt down his code we will all defend him as a true form of artificial life. Its the only explanation for his amazing genre hopping musical badassery, either that or he is one of the most talented musical minds of our time and Irish no less, but honestly what are the odds of that?

Aw, thank you :) Honestly though it's all just about putting in the work and the hours and the practice to get better each time :)

MNRA:
How DARE you demand $10 for Level three!?

You're getting $20 and not a cent less!

Thanks for the support :)

Never played a Bioshock game, but you just convinced me to get this one. Congrats to all involved in making this song. Easily among your best work.

Miracle of Sound is why they invented the "Repeat" button.

Thank you for composing such wonderful music. I purchased several copies of Level 3 so I could share your amazing songs!

Hey Gavin,

Most of the time your songs make me, when I haven't yet played the game they're about, want to be part of it, and when I have, listening to them brings me right back in their respective moods, as people here have said before, you really manage to capture their essence.

Same with this one, the callback to Little Sister is great, just fantastic, and lifts the whole song up even more because you tie the memories of that song and game right into this one.

The many, many positive responses about it here just hammer home how well you pulled the whole thing off (Gwen and Lorna were great as well, of course ;) ), I don't think I've read a single negative response in these four pages yet, quite an achievement on a forum by itself. :P

I hope you never quit.

The game doesn't do the song justice.

Fantastic. I keep wondering what it would be like if you had cut this into two complete songs, breaking at the Lutece verse. Still, I love both pieces, and that kind of sums up my feelings about the game itself...

This is your best song yet. It took me until now to realize that. It was that Irish part, that was excellent.

This song is very, very beautiful. I don't know how else to express it. Thank you all very much for creating it.

After many listens I love this song like many, many of the other Miracles.
Especially how it sounds like the overture to Bioshock Infinite, however just like when I hear an overture, I now want to hear each of the complete individual songs and in this case fawn over each and every one.
So the only real point I have that makes me sad is how short each of the different themes are.
Short but perfectly formed, or however that phrase goes. :)

The more i listen to this song the more I like it, that doesn't usually happen with me. This is a beautiful song and may have convinced me to play the game.

The song could use a bit more of an edge.. but that's just my humble opinion.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here