Escape to the Movies: Oblivion

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Oblivion

MovieBob takes us to the future in this spoiler laden review of the post-apocalyptic Oblivion.

Watch Video

I've seen it exactly one week ago as it got an earlier release in Europe. The fact that i've already forgotten about most of it really says all that needs to be said. Everything about it felt really sterile and distant. It had a really small cast of characters that didn't nearly have the proper chemistry to be any likeable. The visuals were not bad but a bit derivative. The plot was predictable. I've hardly ever seen a movie that impressed me so little.

There is always a way to explain why a movie is bad without spoiling the plot. I plan on watching it at some point anyway so I guess 2 minutes of Tom Cruise critique and "it's bad" is all I get this week :(

Darn, I was hoping that this would be good. Also my prayers go out to you and all of Boston over this week's events.

***SPOILERS BELOW***

So Tom Cruise was conditioned to work for Aliens and lost his wife? This isn't an original story, it's a documentary!

***SPOILERS ABOVE***

Shame you didn't review this film last week as I may had watched GI Joe 2 instead (I liked the first film for being an over the top action film) but in saying so it was my uncle who get to picked the films (which he knows NOTHING about films in general since it was hard to explain to him about the upcoming summer films) and we had limited films choices (yeah the local cinema over here sucks).

Heh I didn't think about that plotholes (did the alien really needed a janitor crew?) until you mention it. I just assume the whole no memory thing was just incase they get capture by the "alien" but now that seen illogical even if it was just a straight story.

I did find the beginning part of the film way too long (and dull, yes I get they were establishing the characters personality, setting and etc) before the main plot thing to happened.

Scarim Coral:
Shame you didn't review this film last week as I may had watched GI Joe 2 instead (I liked the first film for being an over the top action film) but in saying so it was my uncle who get to picked the films (which he knows NOTHING about films in general since it was hard to explain to him about the upcoming summer films) and we had limited films choices (yeah the local cinema over here sucks).

Heh I didn't think about that plotholes (did the alien really needed a janitor crew?) until you mention it. I just assume the whole no memory thing was just incase they get capture by the "alien" but now that seen illogical even if it was just a straight story.

I did find the beginning part of the film way too long (and dull, yes I get they were establishing the characters personality, setting and etc) before the main plot thing to happened.

I actually liked Oblivion better than G.I. Joe 2.

But this movie really is as bland as can be. The only part that slightly stands out is the score.

I'm not normally that guy who desperately immediately posts responses to videos on the escapist so I can cry 1ST, so I want to note I didn't finish watching the video before posting because SPOILERS. I'm actually really intrigued by this and Bob makes it cleared he's already against it because he's just kinda tired of being on"cruissssse control"(Get it??? The critic? sigh.) so I'm gonna go see it anyway. I wanna see the twists. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

DVS BSTrD:
SPOILERS BELOW

So Tom Cruise was conditioned to work for Aliens and lost his wife? Sounds like a documentary.

Zing

I absolutely hate the smug smarmy basterd.

Flowchart of Picking An Action Hero Name

1. Pick a name for your action hero
2. You chose Jack didn't you?
3. Go back to 1

Sorry bob [I think that in my personal opinion that] you're completely wrong on the subject,saw the movie with my family we all absolutely loved it and it's now one of our new fav sci-fi movies.
Were the characters stereotypical yeah but they played their parts well enough that I still loved and cared for them-The visual and designs were breathtaking sure they have been done before but they put new life into it-and finally the story obvious in point yeah and cracks a bit under heavy scrutiny but all movies even the really good ones have certain aspects where it doesn't quite work [why do stormtrooper's always miss].

BrotherRool:

3. Go back to 1

But what if we call the monkey Jack?
And he has to travel back in time for some reason and ends up choosing whether his best friend lives... or dies.

DVS BSTrD:
SPOILERS BELOW

Boss you really should use a spoiler box for that kinda thing-some people still want to see the movie and simply saying SPOILER'S doesn't stop the eyes from glancing over it.

MovieBob, I don't want to be spoiled, so I stopped watching your video. But I want to know why its bad. I guess I'll just wait for this to show up on Netflix or something.

Well outside of that final "twist" involving his real nature I called everyone one of these "twists" just based on the trailer.

Lono Shrugged:
There is always a way to explain why a movie is bad without spoiling the plot. I plan on watching it at some point anyway so I guess 2 minutes of Tom Cruise critique and "it's bad" is all I get this week :(

Ya... I feel the same. Giving Spoilers in a Big Picture about what it did wrong would have been better.
I fully plan to see this, just cause I need a science fiction fix before Star Trek.

Jman1236:
Darn, I was hoping that this would be good. Also my prayers go out to you and all of Boston over this week's events.

Just because he says its bad doesn't make it gospel, I can't remember how many movies he has gone on about being terrible ended up being pretty good and vice versa.

Most of the movie looked dull during the trailers, why would I want to watch it after a dull trailer? Nobody cares about Tom Cruise standing in a football stadium, trying to reenact some football game. But, my movie budget this month was spent on Evil Dead (awesome) and this upcoming month's is going to be a better -than Oblivion, not sure how it stacks against Evil Dead- movie: Star Trek Into Darkness.

MovieBob, ever think of doing a write up piece (or video) on the BS ever increasing price of movie tickets and concession food? $7 for a small popcorn is not okay, neither is $6 for medium soda (that costs $2 at the local 7-11!)

knight steel:

DVS BSTrD:
SPOILERS BELOW

Boss you really should use a spoiler box for that kinda thing-some people still want to see the movie and simply saying SPOILER'S doesn't stop the eyes from glancing over it.

Well I didn't want to get low content. And I tried REAL hard to make sure they look at the spoiler warning before they look at the message.

DVS BSTrD:

knight steel:

DVS BSTrD:
SPOILERS BELOW

Well I didn't want to get low content. And I tried REAL hard to make sure they look at the spoiler warning before they look at the message.

It's ok Boss I know you're trying and that what counts good job ^_^
Also great comment I snigered youv'e done it again :D

cyvaris:
Well outside of that final "twist" involving his real nature I called everyone one of these "twists" just based on the trailer.

Same. Every damn one of those twists I called the first time I saw the trailer. Ugh.

Sounds like a cross between Moon and Mass Effect, if the Reapers were really incompetent. Which is ironic, because I'm pretty sure that Jack Harper is the real name of the Illusive Man............

Dude no need to put yourself through the lone ranger on my account!

I remember going to the cinema with my friends a while back.
I remember there not being enough spaces for us to see the Hobbit and essentially it all came down to Twiglet, Jack Reacher and James Bond... 5-1 against seeing Bond and it was never gonna be Twilek.

Jack Reacharound bored me to death and I have now reconsidered who I go to the cinema with in the future.

Oblivion looks like much more of the same and I am getting tired of it all.
I'm tired of Cruise, his choice of movies are poor. If I go check I'll find an Executive Producer credit for Cruise won't I.
This means I'm trusting that he has chosen to do a movie based on his personal tastes/motivations.

You know when a friend comes up to you and plays that prank to get you to eat something hilariously awful. He says it's fine and you nearly fall for it until the asshole across the room shouts, "go on man, don't be chicken" and suddenly all doubt is cast on the situation.

Tom Cruise with an executive producer credit on a movie he stars in is that asshole kid.

I'm gonna go check my facts now and see if that EP credit is listed.

****EDIT****
I was wrong.

BrotherRool:

3. Go back to 1

Exception: If your hero is a robot originally programmed to lift heavy objects, Jack is an acceptable name, if on-the-nose.

Wait, so:
- aliens came to earth to harvest its most precious resources
- earth is a barren wasteland
- aliens have blown up the moon
- the story is a series of pointless plot twists that exist to set up lifeless action sequences that are supposed to look cool for their own sake
- there is no true consequence for death for the two main characters

... are you sure this isn't Dragon Ball Z?

I still can't read the title without my brain going, "THEY MADE AN ELDER SCROLLS MOVIE?!?!" which is instantly followed by dejection.

So despite my irrational love for all things sci-fi, yet another one to skip. *Sigh.*

God, I love this review.

In the end it just sounded like a really bad Matrix meets Dark City. Well I knew this was going to be bad since I saw the trailers. I knew this was going to be bland the second I saw Tom Cruise not in a Historical Epic or drama by Art House Director extraordinaire. I knew it was going to have breakneck editing because it's produced by the guys who made Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The dialogue in the trailers screamed terrible writing and the visuals through out looked unimaginative.

Here's hoping After Earth is as good as it looks.

On a side note: I gotta say, Bob, I know a lot has recently happened where you live and I hope you weren't too effected by the event, but this has got to be one of your most bitter reviews you've done. You just sound so tired/exhausted and nasally clogged up and I don't know what it is but all combined, it just made this review all the more better and this is easily my second favourite review you have done.

(Nothing could beat your review on "Up" though, sorry) :P

Lono Shrugged:

There is indeed. And that way, in this case, is "The premise -- that is, the real premise once you factor in all of the twists -- is completely ridiculous and makes no sense. It involves an overly-elaborate and even self-defeating plan on the part of the bad guys that only exists so that the audience can be hit by one twist after another."

Now, that wasn't so hard, was it?

It's like, you know the big twist in BioShock? You know how that only worked because it was a first-person game starring a blank slate of a protagonist, and even then it makes people wonder "Wait, why did you go to all that trouble just for what you were trying to accomplish?" It's like that. In fact, now I have a perfect example to point to when I explain how ridiculous a BioShock movie would be if they tried to follow the plot of the game.

I agree with your review there Bob (which is rare) the movie is just....bad. Not terrible or rage inducing or anything just a big load of meh.

Do not be arsed to go and see this move.

I can't wait to see this and Battlefield Earth shrink wrapped together on a Wal-Mart shelf for $5.99.

DVS BSTrD:
***SPOILERS BELOW***

***SPOILERS ABOVE***

I see what you did there... and I approve :)
I was really waiting for the twist where John Travolta showed up.

His best role is still that guy out of Tropic Thunder.

And what's that other SciFi movie coming out this year? The one with District 9 style body armour and Matt Damon?

Lono Shrugged:

Yea i am on this boat too :( I usually ignore the spoiler warning and watch anyway but i've gotta agree with the above comment. The movie looked really interesting to almost everyone i've talked to about it(and that is not just close friends). So...yea, kind of dissapointed to hear you felt it was so bad you didn't mind spoiling it. :/ For once, i hope i don't agree with you.

Ah the old highly advanced aliens, stupid plan trope.

I will repeat this a thousand times over but any story fails when there is an obvious blatantly easier solution that for some reason isn't used.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here