Escape to the Movies: Iron Man 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Bravo I whole heartedly agree, took a moment to set in after it finished but yes is the best Ironman film and you pretty much said what i was thinking(but without spoilers) :)

AJey:
Captain America was not a good movie.

Same feelings here.

The first half was promising when it came to the origins story, decent at best. But the second and third act just felt totally lackluster as CA began duking it out with the Red Skull. Watchable on a boring Sunday afternoon, but nothing more than that.

I personally enjoyed it. The plot focused on Tony, but set up the other characters nicely. It had humor, drama, some good action, and personally I thought it was a great movie. I still prefer the original, though that's me, and I also didn't HATE the 2nd one, just thought it wasn't as good as the first.

It's hard to make a movie like this and release it a year after Avengers. The first movie had no mark and got the excitement for Avengers up, now we're swimming in the wake of that movie and the waves are still hitting these sequels, and will, no matter how hard we try to avoid them.

Kataskopo:
Meh, I actually didn't like it. Mostly because of the motivations of the villian, they were so flimsy and "yeah, because I wan't to fuck things up" compared to the other two movies, especially the second one.

I agree, the main motivation for this guy was flimsy as fuck, and throughout the film I was just thinking 'seriously? You're gonna do all this for one petty reason?'

I thought it was great fun though, probably my favorite since the original Iron Man.

Reeve:
I bet Chipman is over hyping....

He does for pretty much all of these movies. I think the only super hero movie he didn't really drool over was TDKR (there's probably others but considering how often he bashes it -and for some reason the whole series now- is why it came to mind).

Edit: I just need to say, his by far most over-hyped film is Captain America. For whatever reason, he loves it. I personally thought it was the weakest of all the Avenger movies. The villain was incredibly bad and that's probably its biggest problem but it had plenty of others.

Just got back from seeing it. It was pretty damn good. I understand why they did what they did with the twist too.

CAPTCHA: The Big Apple

Well, there goes Tony on another PTSD episode.....

shrekfan246:

RJ 17:
This Sunday is my birthday and that's when I'm heading out to see it with some friends. I'm glad Bob gave it his seal of approval as his tastes are generally in line with my own.

Still, I don't know that I've seen a Marvel movie that has disappointed me....except Spiderman 3...and I haven't seen any of The Hulks so they don't count. :P

Spider-Man movie rights are owned by Sony, not Marvel.

Last time I checked he was still a Marvel character, I'm not talking about who owns the rights.

RJ 17:

shrekfan246:

RJ 17:
This Sunday is my birthday and that's when I'm heading out to see it with some friends. I'm glad Bob gave it his seal of approval as his tastes are generally in line with my own.

Still, I don't know that I've seen a Marvel movie that has disappointed me....except Spiderman 3...and I haven't seen any of The Hulks so they don't count. :P

Spider-Man movie rights are owned by Sony, not Marvel.

Last time I checked he was still a Marvel character, I'm not talking about who owns the rights.

Well yeah, but it's technically not a "Marvel movie" was my point.

He's a Marvel character, but Marvel themselves had nothing to do with the production of Spider-Man 3 as far as I know. I could be wrong, of course...

Wait wait, is this just an early Escape to the Movies or a bonus episode? Will there be a Star Trek review tomorrow or just nothing?

If only because I haven't seen anybody else mention it, here's the biggest thing that bothered me about Iron Man 3: the Mandarin is Goddamn bright orange.

A guy. Called 'The Mandarin'. Is literally Mandarin orange. Which is basically his power. There ya go.

GothmogII:
Cheat Commandoes Rrrrrrrock rrrrrock on!!

Going to see it on Saturday. Glad to know I won't be disappointed. :3

Thats not what we say anymore Cheat Commandos RRRRiggidy Roll!

On topic I really liked the film best of the three by far. Although I did'nt see anything in the film worth getting angry about which Bob hinted at

Saw it tonight. I didn't even remember it was coming out today, but Bob's video reminded me. So I went out to see it spur-of-the-moment.

It was awesome.

Thank you Bob, for reminding me about this. You made my evening. ^^

okay I fold I'll go watch it lol. loved Captain America, disliked Iron Man 2. but I'll give 3 a chance

Kumagawa Misogi:
Wow Bob again demonstrates his really, really bad taste in films liking this piece of shit that has completly turned me off the Marvel cinematic universe (no way in hell am i paying cinema prices to see anything related to this!)

And the big reveal isn't what turned me off it's the constant

http://youtu.be/mV1LWhNpTJU

armour hitting Tony stark in the groin evertime he suit's up.

That literally happened twice in the movie. If one gag happening on two occasions ruins an entire movie for you, you got issues.

OT: I saw it a week ago (Yay Australia) and thought it was wicked awesome. I agree with Bob that it's the second best Marvel movie after Captain America, and it is definitely the best Iron Man movie.

Yeah the big twist didn't really have me intrigued or smiling so much as cocking my head sideways. Its slightly better than Iron Man 2 but really about 7% of the special effects went to this gimmick of Tony Stark suiting up like some 90's anime where all the pieces fly onto his body it was ok in the final fight but seemed to be filler more than anything, but that's just my opinion. The main villains were pretty interesting I'm glad they didn't pick another guy in a robot suit as another villain.

Just got back from the theatre. I really really liked it. Probably not my favorite Avengers film but easily my favorite of the Iron Man films.

It's going to be interesting to see where they go from here because it seems odd to introduce

as a one time thing.

Being the bookend story for Avengers Phase 1 and a presumed lead in to Phase 2 I can't wait to see where they're going.

I literally just got back from a midnight screening and I thought the twist worked really well. I didn't think the film was too convoluted or dense at all; most of the plot threads worked and I didn't have any trouble following it. Also:

Of course, we couldn't go one damn superhero movie review where he doesn't take the piss at Dark Knight Rising. I saw Iron Man 3 on wendsday. It was bland at best. The villian plan was so stupid as hell.

Eppy (Bored):
I literally just got back from a midnight screening and I thought the twist worked really well. I didn't think the film was too convoluted or dense at all; most of the plot threads worked and I didn't have any trouble following it. Also:

I too enjoyed the twist and liked the fact that I thought the film was trolling me - I didn't accept it at face value for a couple of minutes, fully expecting it to be a red herring.

re: your spoiler, so much yes!

Noelveiga:
I... was not impressed. Which is not to say I disliked it, either. It's a worse film than the much more tightly focused first entry and I'm a bit undecided about whether it's a bit worse than Iron Man 2 as well.

The thing is, that PTSD subplot Bob talks about in his weirdly long recap of most of the plot? It gets abandoned with no resolution. The legitimately funny out-of-suit half an hour in the middle? It would have been daring for anybody else, but Black goes back to stuff he turned into action movie tropes in the first place and feels a bit too comfortable with them. The actually funny and surprising twist? It adds to an already convoluted plot with multiple dangling threads and a few too many big twists.

It's a messy movie, really. If you thought the excursion to Avengers prequel mode in Iron Man 2 was too loose this has the same thing, only here the friction is between the overblown whodunit plot, the superhero movie action and the character action comedy stuff. The action comedy bits are the best, because of course they are, look at the cast and crew. The superhero action is more Avengers than the smaller earlier Marvel films and the character bits get forgotten or resolved in cheap ways. All together feels too busy and too hazy for its own good.

But hey, no harm in seeing it, either. It's funny and... well, harmless. It's entertaining. But if you're thinking about skipping it? Yeah, that's safe to do as well. There are no overt plot tie-ins to the Avengers stuff (somebody took the Iron Man 2 criticism to heart) and the actual Avengers film is as good a wrap-up for the character as this is.

By the way, I feel like superhero movie reviews have given me a better barometer for Bob as a critic than anything else he does. Clearly he's very forgiving with loose structure and messy storytelling (Captain "just go into montage mode for the second half" America and this prove as much) and telling a focused, single story comes second to individual beats in terms of making him react positively, especially if the beats are fan-pleasing and the story has some contextual rough spots (Amazing Spider-Man, Star Trek '09). This is not an indictment or a defense of Bob as a critic, but it's certainly helpful when I'm trying to figure out when his opinion is going to be a good indicator of my own enjoyment of a film.

But...but, Marvel is trying to make movies more like comics! Isn't that awesome? No one will ever die and horribly convoluted shit will ensue just to make sure nothing has consequences! And we'll get massive movie spanning universes where random people just pop in and say "sup" and the movie expects you to know why the guy dressed in homemade iron man armor next to you is clearly popping a boner at that random passerby. And we'll constantly be getting new ones every one because that'll keep things fresh and original. Isn't that great!?

There's a short list of movie types I don't trust Bob when he's reviewing and comic book ones, ESPECIALLY Marvel comic book movies, is at the top (followed by movies not for nerds, movies with Tom Cruise, and movies directed by Zack Snyder). Since he believes Captain America is at the top of Marvel movies, whereas I think it's at the very bottom by a long, long shot, and he rates this one as second only to that; the transitive property tells me that this will probably be very underwhelming to me. Which is a shame cause I love Shane Black, Robert Downey Jr., Guy Pearce, and Ben Kingsley.

I just got back and I put it as my #2 movie in the Marvel-Verse, just after the Avengers. Was it ground breaking and Oscar worthy? No. But that's not why I go to see comic book movies, I go to see them for awesome action scenes and one liners interspersed with enough story to give it all meaning.

irishda:

Noelveiga:
I... was not impressed. Which is not to say I disliked it, either. It's a worse film than the much more tightly focused first entry and I'm a bit undecided about whether it's a bit worse than Iron Man 2 as well.

The thing is, that PTSD subplot Bob talks about in his weirdly long recap of most of the plot? It gets abandoned with no resolution. The legitimately funny out-of-suit half an hour in the middle? It would have been daring for anybody else, but Black goes back to stuff he turned into action movie tropes in the first place and feels a bit too comfortable with them. The actually funny and surprising twist? It adds to an already convoluted plot with multiple dangling threads and a few too many big twists.

It's a messy movie, really. If you thought the excursion to Avengers prequel mode in Iron Man 2 was too loose this has the same thing, only here the friction is between the overblown whodunit plot, the superhero movie action and the character action comedy stuff. The action comedy bits are the best, because of course they are, look at the cast and crew. The superhero action is more Avengers than the smaller earlier Marvel films and the character bits get forgotten or resolved in cheap ways. All together feels too busy and too hazy for its own good.

But hey, no harm in seeing it, either. It's funny and... well, harmless. It's entertaining. But if you're thinking about skipping it? Yeah, that's safe to do as well. There are no overt plot tie-ins to the Avengers stuff (somebody took the Iron Man 2 criticism to heart) and the actual Avengers film is as good a wrap-up for the character as this is.

By the way, I feel like superhero movie reviews have given me a better barometer for Bob as a critic than anything else he does. Clearly he's very forgiving with loose structure and messy storytelling (Captain "just go into montage mode for the second half" America and this prove as much) and telling a focused, single story comes second to individual beats in terms of making him react positively, especially if the beats are fan-pleasing and the story has some contextual rough spots (Amazing Spider-Man, Star Trek '09). This is not an indictment or a defense of Bob as a critic, but it's certainly helpful when I'm trying to figure out when his opinion is going to be a good indicator of my own enjoyment of a film.

But...but, Marvel is trying to make movies more like comics! Isn't that awesome? No one will ever die and horribly convoluted shit will ensue just to make sure nothing has consequences! And we'll get massive movie spanning universes where random people just pop in and say "sup" and the movie expects you to know why the guy dressed in homemade iron man armor next to you is clearly popping a boner at that random passerby. And we'll constantly be getting new ones every one because that'll keep things fresh and original. Isn't that great!?

There's a short list of movie types I don't trust Bob when he's reviewing and comic book ones, ESPECIALLY Marvel comic book movies, is at the top (followed by movies not for nerds, movies with Tom Cruise, and movies directed by Zack Snyder). Since he believes Captain America is at the top of Marvel movies, whereas I think it's at the very bottom by a long, long shot, and he rates this one as second only to that; the transitive property tells me that this will probably be very underwhelming to me. Which is a shame cause I love Shane Black, Robert Downey Jr., Guy Pearce, and Ben Kingsley.

Allow me to summarize both of these posts for people who thought TL,DR. "I don't know shit about comic book movies and resent that a product based on previous products would expect me to be familiar of the original. Every movie should consider my ignorance, and make up for it! That's how we get awesome superhero movies like Tim Burton's BATMAN!!!:D Also Poop!" Your welcome.

irishda:

Allow me to summarize both of these posts for people who thought TL,DR. "I don't know shit about comic book movies and resent that a product based on previous products would expect me to be familiar of the original. Every movie should consider my ignorance, and make up for it! That's how we get awesome superhero movies like Tim Burton's BATMAN!!!:D Also Poop!" Your welcome.

I have read Iron Man comic books since the 80s and I've ended up reading pretty much every book before that as well. For what it's worth, I also think the original Extremis books are not too good, even if the armour design in them is amazing, and that the alcoholism angle has been massively overplayed after the original two-parter (one of the film franchise's best moves is to actively choose to ignore it).

Also, it seems to me that you haven't seen the film yet. If you think being true to the comics is an asset, brace for impact because holy shit.

For the record, nobody needs to request filmmakers to ignore comic books. More people have already seen this film than have ever bought an Iron Man comic book. Literally. Trust me, nobody at Marvel is working under the assumption that their movie audiences have ever cracked open an issue of the books they're adapting.

irishda:

Man, that leaves a very thin slice of films you "trust" Bob about :p

For the record, this one is way better than Captain America. This one's a movie that flows beginning to end, so while the plot may be disjointed here and there it definitely doesn't just give up on it at any point. You do have a bit of a point in that this one, maybe by adapting more modern comic book fare, feels like it's trying to be the biggest thing ever at every turn. Superheroes don't really need that, in my opinion. There's something inherently bizarre to them, you don't need to crank that up to eleven every time. Both the current superhero comic book industry and these films are falling for that a bit. "This changes everything" shouldn't be the point of every issue. That said, it is far more bearable in one film every few years than in monthly comics.

So yeah, as long as you temper expectations a bit from Bob's bombastic review, you should be fine. There's some legitimately funny stuff in this and the action bits are tolerable. It's just... middle of the pack.

Seeing as I haven't had the time to get into Marvel comics yet (still rooting through DC at the time) I found the big twist quite satisfying (also totally didn't see it coming). Saw it on Sunday, yay for Europe being early for once!

Eh, I liked the film as a whole, but I lost interest after the twist.

And there was just a bit too much humour in it for my taste.

It is a decent enough film, I did enjoy it overall, but those points really dropped me out of the moment.

Why do I have to watch a trailer for Iron Man 3, just to watch a video review for it?

Is this a freak occurrence that the third film is the best one? God bless Marvel.

It was better than Captain America but not as good as Avengers, i cant believe Bob thinks this is better than Avengers.

Shane Black man... Respect. When the film started with the narration, I couldn't help but smile like an idiot. :D The humour was just so good, along with almost everything else. Only thing I didn't like:

Otherwise it's just very very good. Not Avengers good. But still very good.

And for the record: I loved the Avengers, think Captain America was the worst Marvel film (and I think that Bob has a HUGE bias whenever it comes to characters he loves and the US, and it just explodes for this film), find TDKR to be pretty darn good though not TDK good, and think Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is a MASTERPIECE.

HA AMERICA NOW YOU KNOW WHAT WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH! (4 months for Wreck=it Ralph being a biggy) But having watched it yesterday.. hmmm

Its, like Dark night rises, good/ok, a solid 7/10. Some of the stuff really bugged me and it did suffer from too much of the guy without the suit syndrome. Some of the characters and themes like Tony's PTSD get kinda quickly summed up and abandoned and some characters which could be really strong including he main bad guy don't really tread any new ground and the ground they do tread they don't do massively well (Won't say who/what due to spoils). Still Downey jr is on form and really manages to make you care about the Stark character who is at his very heart massively unlikable (which has always been the hook for Ironman I know but he pulls it off well) I'll agree with Bob on Paltrow/Pepper, she is very much the anti nagging damsel and plays off as someone who really cares for Tony rather than someone out just to ruin fun. Oh and a Semi fan of Ironman(Think im one of the few people who REALLY liked Civil war) the big shocking Twist was actually very fun, can understand the anger mind.

It has its up's and down's Ill admit, but its still a good film worth the watch. Also making me really looking forward to the Thor/Cap 2. And for the love of God remake Fantastic 4, a team that understands what the word 'subtle' means would kill at this, not "I AM IMMATURE LOL OMG LIFE LESSON!" "I AM SAD AND A ROCK GUY NOONE LOVES ME OH NOW SOMEONE DOES :DDD" which is pretty much all the character development of the other 2.

deathbeforedecaf:
It was better than Captain America but not as good as Avengers, i cant believe Bob thinks this is better than Avengers.

He said best of the single hero films I.E thor/Cap/Ironman 1/2 etc.

It wasn't until I saw that picture in this review, but I didn't notice Rescue's symbol on her belt buckle til now.

Surprised Bob like this. Oh well, opinions are opinions :D
For me the movie was an incoherent mess, plotholes aside, the tone was all over the place and the "oh, stark has to be funny" moments stopped the flow of the movie, unlike the avengers where action and humour and drama went hand in hand. Even the twist felt kinda... pointless. I mean, what was the point? How did it make the movie deeper or more interesting? The only thing it did was give 20 seconds of awkward laughter.
Anyway... I was really disappointed with Iron Man 3 but most people seem to love it so...

Do you need to see Iron Man 2 before hand to see this? I've seen Iron man 1 and the avengers so should I watch the second film before seeing this or can I watch it without seeing iron man 2 like the avengers?

"calls the Mandarin out and that leaves Stark without his tech and weapons"

Had to see an advanced screening last night and I was worth the $8.50 price tag. Glad to see Marvel Studios still offering quality over quantity with their movies post-Avengers. As for the surprise, I was highly surprised rather than pissed about it. It's great to see they're taking such risks. And, yes, stay through the credits for a surprise.

I hope Robert Downey Jr. and Marvel make a deal for him to return. I cannot for the life of me think of anyone taking over this role and any actor who does will have some serious boots to fill. Plus they need to bring in War Machine for Avengers 2 and possibly have Pepper become Rescue. With the biggest of big bads coming up, the Avengers will need a lot more than 6 members to handle this threat.

I enjoyed this movie sooo much, but after watching it I felt like watching Kiss Kiss Bang Bang again than any other Iron Man movie.

And I liked this twist: spoiler of that below

And in other not as spoiler-y news: Pepper is a BAMF.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here