Trailers: Saints Row IV - Meet the President Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Saints Row IV - Meet the President Trailer

Hail to the Chief, oh the Chief's the one you hail to.

Watch Video

Looks like it'd be fun for about 10 minutes. Oh well- we'll always have Just Cause 3, right?

"Haha! Oh man, look at this! It's all unrealistic and cool! These fancy weapons, silly dialogue, man this is GOTY for sure!"

"GWAAAAAAGHGHG WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT GOD"

I love people.

inb4 I get quoted by 100 people not understanding hyperbole

This calls for the ultimate YES reaction video!

Also, age restricted violent video asking for a birth date but they still can't say "fuck" without bleeping it? Oh you Americans.

How many people are just going to modify their character to look like Steven Colbert anyway?

hazabaza1:
Snip

I understand hyperbole, but I can also still recognize Far Cry 3 part of Far Cry 3: Blood dragon. WITHOUT in game merchandizing.

This trailer actually isn't horrible... with the sound off.
The game still looks like a pile of crap (SRTT is a pile of crap, this looks like it... see?) don't get me wrong, but I think I've accepted the loss of this franchise and SR4 has ultimately stopped offending me with only it's existence. I think.

This actually looks like fun but I am going to pretend it isn't saints row cause if it is saints row I can't help but hate what they have done with my favorite game this gen.

I hope I get a sequel to saints row 2 eventually.

hazabaza1:
"Haha! Oh man, look at this! It's all unrealistic and cool! These fancy weapons, silly dialogue, man this is GOTY for sure!"

I love people.

The difference is that FC3: Blood Dragon is a whacky, one-off intended to subvert the normal "serious business" feel of its core games.

SR4 looks like it just continues the BS of SR:TT which no one wanted. Saint's Row became popular because while it was still serious, it had humor and knew how to have a bit of fun. SR2 was good, and upped the whacky a little, but kept it within tolerable bounds. SR:TT took it waaaaay too far, in addition to just not being a very good game compared to its predecessors.

hazabaza1:

I love people.

Well the difference is people (like me) expecting more from Saints Row The Third and it's Expansion (I refuse to call it Saints Row 4 since it's basically what was suppose to be DLC for Saints Row The Third) with it's predecessor being Saints Row 2. Very well loved for both it's own over the top sillyness but also great story and characters.

Saints Row The Third pretty much got rid of any good characters and storyline for just really really stupid over the top sillyness and that's it...which gets old quick. As well as getting rid of the cool features from Saints Row 2.

This game, along with the one before it, should not have the Saints Row name since it's WAY TOO DIFFERENT from the previous Saints Row game, but I digress.

Wow, didn't expect so much SRIII hate on the escapist. SR2 was just getting into it's silly stride and 3 refused to be shackled to the drab and brown of every other game.

Don't get me wrong, I loved GTA4 but SR3 was an over-the-top breath of fresh air.

In summary: Hail to the Motherf'n chief!

I'm still contemplating how we got from Saints Row 1 to this. Because I love the absurdity, and I'm just wondering how you get here from a typical "work way up from the bottom of crime-ridden gangland slum" game.

SO basically the Escapist wanted SR4 to be a lot like SR2 which in turn was a lot like GTA IV and previous versions before it. Yeah sorry but I don't think it's a great idea to have two games doing the same act even if SR2 has a tid bit of humour in it that does not make it a completely different game but when you look at SR3-4 you can actually see the two different games are now at opposite sides so if you want serious gritty crawling in my skin seriousness then GTA IV-V is for you.

I don't like games that try to be exactly like others but only change a tiny little part with things like humour/act changes because that's not going to be enough.

I for one am looking quite forward to SR4 because it really is a breath of fresh air and the same goes for Blood Dragon.

...*sigh* I'm really, really starting to think that we may never receive a proper sequel to Saints Row 2 at this point.

Really, I don't see why Volition felt the need to kick all the good characters and decent storyline to the curb in favour of over-the-top ridiculousness that never aspires to be anything more then a massive potty joke. 'Tis a shame to see what was once my favourate franchise has become... Sorry Volition, but I won't be investing in IV.

That looked really damn stupid. And the music bothered me greatly. I'll wait to see some real gameplay videos and reviews but I don't think I'll be buying this, especially since I was very disappointed with SR3.

Oh well plenty of other games in the sea.

Squilookle:
Looks like it'd be fun for about 10 minutes. Oh well- we'll always have Just Cause 3, right?

They're making a Just Cause 3? Time to fetch that champagne bottle.

As a GTA fan I feel contractually obligated to say that GTA:V will show these kids how you do a sandbox game without sacrificing context or challenge. SR:IV looks like it will be even less of a challenge than Third was.

OK this one thing just bugs me. Why do I have to watch a commercial to watch a trailer?

Anyways

It looks like they're still forgetting what made saints row 2 so funny, but maybe it'll be good, and funny. I'm not gonna count on it though.

Saints Row is that class clown who made a few jokes, was encouraged when he received a positive reaction, and is now wearing a chicken costume and dumpster diving in front of his classmates because "Hey, look at me everybody! Wooo look at me! This is the quirky fun stuff you all love! Aren't I so silly?"

boring. They're just trying too hard now. I'll pass.

Well, I, for one, am looking forward to this game.

As long as they get rid that godawful bullshit 'music'thingy crap. Then i'm fine.

You can fly....

Yep, going to have to pick this one up now. There is a distinct lack of games that allow you to fly (Without a plane/helicopter/jetpack/etc).

I don't mind the game being silly- as long as it's fun, hilarious, and keeping me interested. Though some of it does sound a tad to silly, or ridiculously cheesy. Funny how the the series turned to this.. but again, I am also stunned that the series has made it this far. We'll have to see how the game holds itself.

as long as its longer than sr3 by at least 3 or more hours ill be happy with this. i've got a thousand games where i get to relive the same mob movie I've seen a thousand time, but not many where i get to kill aliens with pink dildos

This is coming out in August, and GTA V is coming out in September. Why the fuck would I waste my money on this pile of crap? Saints Row The Turd was an abomination. The game wasn't fun for 3 whole minutes. It was actually irritating because of how hard it tried to be funny. And it was obvious. There was nothing to explore and discover in that game. Everything you could do was waiting for you on the surface. You didn't even have to try. Not to mention their glorious plan to have 40 weeks of DLC. They butchered that game. And I'm supposed to trust them that this one will be better after seeing this trailer? There is just nothing of value here.

But does it still have the independent boob jiggle with clackers effect?
If so then YEAH!

1. I hate dubstep
2. America is not that great a place
3. All that considered, I'm buying this game yesterday.

Me, I can't wait. Mindless silly fun is a good thing to have every once and again. And I loved me some SRtT.

Plus, there's this:

'MURICA!

Meh...this one smells too much of try hard. Watch this all just be some sort dream. No one actually saved the character at the beginning of the first one. That gang banger actually shot them, and this was all some near death hallucination that takes place in the few seconds before the character dies. It does blank out that brief moment when the shot is fired.

Seriously, I'd laugh.

hazabaza1:

I love people.

I agree with this.

Moving on,

Honestly, I'm not a purist fangirl of Saints Row, though I do enjoy the series from SR2 on, and want to pre-order SR4.
I recognize they screwed things up here and there, and I have my gripes.
Lets be real here, though. Saints Row's gangster style vs GTA's Gangster Style? You really think Saints Row would survive vs the rampant fanboys, and the better publicity of GTA?

Saints Row understands it can't compete vs GTA, and I don't blame them.

I'm no fan of GTA myself for reasons I won't rant upon as it'd probably double the size of this post, but I recognize that they're far more the "name brand" of gritty sandbox shooting. Saints Row would be hard pressed to slug it out with them on that ground.

Besides, who knows, SRTT might be the matrix so to speak, and SR4 might be the fight out of it culminating in the Boss waking up in a more familiar Stillwater with a more gangster feel... or atleast above it in a space ship, then have to fight to get home as the ship will eventually be destroyed. The massive rich and fame being nothing but a dream...
And then we'll get to play in that world.

Oh, we might have to go after DEX! Since people prolly will still gripe about that loose thread. :P

And SR5 will return to it's gangster roots, and then get snuffed by GTA's higher fame, and being a house hold name, and all the people wanting SR to be gangster again won't care it returned to the gangster roots and play GTA anyhow. <.<

Rebel_Raven:
And SR5 will return to it's gangster roots, and then get snuffed by GTA's higher fame, and being a house hold name, and all the people wanting SR to be gangster again won't care it returned to the gangster roots and play GTA anyhow. <.<

I bought all the Grand Theft Auto games because they were formative in my early days of gaming.
I bought Saints Row the third because it was on special on groupon. (Saved 15 bucks)
I didn't buy the past ones because they seemed like cheap knock offs of San Andreas without Samuel L Jackson.

I laughed at the over the top fuckoff self parody in the game, I hope to see more of it in the next one.
I'll probably get the new one.

TheRussian:

Squilookle:

They're making a Just Cause 3? Time to fetch that champagne bottle.

As a GTA fan I feel contractually obligated to say that GTA:V will show these kids how you do a sandbox game without sacrificing context or challenge. SR:IV looks like it will be even less of a challenge than Third was.

See, I would have said the same thing about GTA (except for the car handling- Driver has always been the genre leader there) up until GTA IV. Ever since that game, which was the very definition of 'sacrificing context and challenge', my faith in Rockstar has been shaken so soundly that I won't consider buying another GTA game until I've played it for a good 6 hours or so and decided for myself it isn't another GTA IV.

Kind of racist isn't it? The trailer I mean.

There are enough people thinking that killing illegal aliens is a good idea that we don't need to encourage them.

Mullahgrrl:

There are enough people thinking that killing illegal aliens is a good idea that we don't need to encourage them.

'd say that if the joke about killing aliens from outer space who are "illegal" nevermind trying to harm people causes people to harm illegal aliens, or those they perceive as such, well, those people were messed up to begin with, and didn't need much encouragement.
Using games as a scapegoat is a bad thing.

hazabaza1:

I love people.

But I'm sure there aren't any bullshit reasons for why Far Cry 3's DLC is IRONIC, and therefore awesome, while SR3 is a betrayal of SR2's aesthetic (what's that? SR1?! Get out you dirty heathen!) and therefore bad.

Rebel_Raven:

Mullahgrrl:

'd say that if the joke about killing aliens from outer space who are "illegal" nevermind trying to harm people causes people to harm illegal aliens, or those they perceive as such, well, those people were messed up to begin with, and didn't need much encouragement.
Using games as a scapegoat is a bad thing.

Oh come on now, that's just something people who like games use to dismiss these completely valid complaints.

Clearly this game will corrupt our youth against the innocent alien population.

"America...HELL yeah"? Shouldn't that be "America...F--K yeah"?!?

I guess once once you've played a game in a series where you are beating people to death with a giant phallis (before Jim Sterling stole it), you might as well drop all sense of pretense for the next installment, eh? Well...that might have been a good move, because this does look quite awesome!

(If I wasn't into RPGs for the most part and could get into sandbox games.)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here