The Complete Bastard's Guide To Journalism

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Is it just me or is that the Satan from THUG2?

Mr.Tea:
Official rules listed a whole slew of countries: US, UK, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Norway, Finland, Czech Republic, Australia, China, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, India, Brazil and Canada. This shit spans the entire planet, but a ton of countries are still excluded. Why some of the EU but not all of it? Why Brazil and not the rest of SA? Why US/Canada and not Mexico? But most egregious of all, were these parentheses next to Canada: "(Excluding the Province of Quebec)" ...Motherfuckers.

I don't know about the other countries but in respect to Quebec it all has to do with the province's laws regarding sweepstakes and contests. The companies decide that it isn't worth the extra cost/effort to offer the contest there. That's why even some Canadian contests don't include Quebec.

Farther than stars:
I just like the fact that Satan is using Apple.

He probably owns company stock.

I'd love to see how Cory interprets surrealism.

OT: Gawker group news is like trying to understand the history of Afganistan by reading Now magazine.

DanielG:
Snip

Oh I know that, I live here after all, but the only thing companies have to do to get around it is require a Mathematical Skill Question, and only for the winner(s)! When it was all coupons in the mail and shit, I get that it might have been a big hassle, but on the internet there's no excuse.

And that's the source of my rage: Countries shouldn't matter in the slightest on the internet. Streaming video, region-locked DVDs, Blu-Rays and Games, Digital Game services (as much as I love them, I am aware that Steam can be a big load of horseshit elsewhere in the world), eCommerce... Speaking of eCommerce, I'm still pissed that Amazon.ca doesn't offer about half the shit Amazon.com does. And Newegg was nice enough to set up a .ca spinoff, but most of their stuff still ships from NJ/NY, SO WHAT WAS THE BLOODY POINT?!

The future is now, legislation should get with the times already.

Mr.Tea:

Ranting tangent: Just yesterday I got an email from Nvidia announcing the GTX 780 and offering me entry into a sweepstakes.

"Cool!" I thought,
"I hope it's not US-only" and it wasn't!

Official rules listed a whole slew of countries: US, UK, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Norway, Finland, Czech Republic, Australia, China, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, India, Brazil and Canada. This shit spans the entire planet, but a ton of countries are still excluded. Why some of the EU but not all of it? Why Brazil and not the rest of SA? Why US/Canada and not Mexico? But most egregious of all, were these parentheses next to Canada: "(Excluding the Province of Quebec)" ...Motherfuckers.

On the internet, there are no borders and global shipping is exceedingly simple these days; Get with it, assholes!

It may not be the company's fault. Some countries/provinces have some crazy rules on sweepstakes. Quebec, for example, requires anyone holding a sweepstakes in Quebec to pay a fee equal to 10% of the total prize value, among other things:

http://contests.about.com/od/sweepstakes101/f/VoidinQuebec.htm

Gotta love bureaucracy.

Coles_Law:

It may not be the company's fault. Some countries/provinces have some crazy rules on sweepstakes. Quebec, for example, requires anyone holding a sweepstakes in Quebec to pay a fee equal to 10% of the total prize value, among other things:

http://contests.about.com/od/sweepstakes101/f/VoidinQuebec.htm

Gotta love bureaucracy.

Oh gods; And here I thought it only had to do with the silly mathematical question I knew had to be there, but this... this is... ugh.

Yeah, bureaucracy. My step-father is a government employee with a salary somewhere around $95K/Year and you know what he does? Nothing. He's at home every day going mad because his boss has no work to give him. He skips entire days and exactly zero e-mails pile up at work.

That is some efficient bureaucracy they've got going on...

For a second there, i thought that the cat was Kyubey from PMMM. It kinda makes sense, too.

DVS BSTrD:

The Gentleman:

DVS BSTrD:
I didn't know goats kept ALL their blood in their throats.

Satan: WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP SENDING ME GOATS!?! DO THEY THINK I FUCK THEM OR SOMETHING? I've got succubi for that!

Well, we used to make some pretty good shwarma, but the guy who cooks it is on a thousand year vacation, so we don't really need the meat anymore...

Now hell is shwarming with the damned things!

I hope someone bans you, or at least gives you a goat for that comment.

So let me get this straight.. this gossip magazine Gawker is willing to fund drug dealers in order to publicly crucify the major of Toronto for using drugs in his youth?

*meant to merge these but whatevs*

How can not anyone at that magazine think "hey wait a tick! this is completely warped!" Why do people get their knickers in a twist over their major's drug using past, but are totally a-okay with a magazine funding the very same drug dealers that claim to have supplied the major? This just doesn't add up!

If I remember correctly, the mayor is a colossal douchebag regardless of drug use. But holy christ, what messed up thought process do you have to go through to justify using a kickstarter to -fund- crack dealers, just for some video? I...I just..I don't use this phrase, normally, but WTF.

Serious question, is Johnathan Grey Carter a transexual or something?

Izanagi009:
I clicked on the link and that was one of the worst pieces of Journalism I have ever seen.

Kickstarter is not meant to fund gossip sites and give money to dealers, it's to fund projects that would not see the light of day under normal circumstances

I think crowd funding crack dealers counts as a project that would not see the light of day under normal circumstances xD

Anyway... Derp. So evil, so stupid, so fucking dangerous. I hope it gets funded to the brim.

For one reason:

"You knowingly gave a crack dealer hundreds of thousands of dollars? Do you have any idea HOW MANY CRIMES WE CAN FUCK YOU FOR?"

Sometimes I just can't comprehend the sheer: 1) stupidity 2) callousness 3)both of these which seems to be the overriding factor in journalism today. The UK has had more than its share of amoral journalists and it seems that those in other countries are just as keen to show they're vile too.

Bad idea on Gawker's part, but I really hate Rob Ford. Hopefully this debacle will finally get that shitty mayor booted out of office. He's a disgrace to the city of Toronto.

Lilith:
Sometimes I just can't comprehend the sheer: 1) stupidity 2) callousness 3)both of these which seems to be the overriding factor in journalism today. The UK has had more than its share of amoral journalists and it seems that those in other countries are just as keen to show they're vile too.

That's because that's the only sort of journalism that sells newspapers and gets page views these days. You can help change that by buying newspapers (if you still read them) and visiting websites that uphold journalistic standards; and boycotting those that don't.

Mr F.:

Izanagi009:
I clicked on the link and that was one of the worst pieces of Journalism I have ever seen.

Kickstarter is not meant to fund gossip sites and give money to dealers, it's to fund projects that would not see the light of day under normal circumstances

I think crowd funding crack dealers counts as a project that would not see the light of day under normal circumstances xD

Anyway... Derp. So evil, so stupid, so fucking dangerous. I hope it gets funded to the brim.

For one reason:

"You knowingly gave a crack dealer hundreds of thousands of dollars? Do you have any idea HOW MANY CRIMES WE CAN FUCK YOU FOR?"

Yep, this could bite them on the ass in the future

Funny strip, thank god it's just a comic...

WAIT, what?

Un-f-believable.

NearLifeExperience:
*meant to merge these but whatevs*

How can not anyone at that magazine think "hey wait a tick! this is completely warped!" Why do people get their knickers in a twist over their major's drug using past, but are totally a-okay with a magazine funding the very same drug dealers that claim to have supplied the major? This just doesn't add up!

But that's the thing isn't it? Gawker isn't funding it. It's the 3,000+ people who have contributed money that is.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here