Zero Punctuation: Metro: Last Light

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Public transportation is quite excellent in my little country. Though all the subways move pretty much exclusively above ground which kind of fucks us over in case of nuclear war.

The last line just killed me.

Akichi Daikashima:

Charcharo:

Akichi Daikashima:
I'm surprised that he didn't gripe on the crappy romance with the sniper, Anna.

Seriously, to me, it was like Russian Twilight, but whatever.

And I too, felt that the supernatural elements lost a crap-ton of meaning when they actually happened to be true and not ambiguous, ie: when Artyom was proceeding to Riga station both in the game and in the novel, it was never explained whether it was other-wordly powers that caused everyone to die/go insane, which built up the tension and made the Metro seem like a creepier place.

But in Last Light, and in 2033(the book) too, they decided to say "Oh, there ARE ghosts in the Metro, Artyom IS psychic", which killed the suspense and mystery somewhat.

I did like the lack of direction though, in some parts of the game; it evoked memories of Half-Life's level structure.

Whilst I have gripes with Anna as a character, this was NOT a romance. Both Artyom and her were just doing it because they expected to die any moment or at the very least soo. Whilst there were feelings into the mix, it was not Love, at least not yet.

As for those powers... Artyom is no psychic. He just has more resistance to SOME of the otherworldly powers and can talk to the Dark Ones. Apart from them, there are many things that occur in the game or are spoken about by characters that fit the term "horro"quite well.

Yeah, the soppy music during the scene, and the fact she is literally the first woman Artyom sees in the game is sooo not trying to be romantic(!)

Sorry, but it really took me out of the game.

But to me, I always felt that the Metro series was strong because of how grounded it was, and that the supernatural elements just dispelled that immersion.

Also, Artyom can speak to monsters with his mind, I'm pretty sure that qualifies as psychic, at least, in the literal sense.

CAPTCHA: knock off.

DAMN IT, CAPTCHA, I AM TOO BORED TODAY TO NOT GRIPE ON SOMETHING.

There was such music :O . Anyways there were also the strippers and... and that poor woman in the dark tunnel
Anyways, for me the supernatural elements just added to the game, especially Polyanka (book), The Dead City(game), the various stories and the Kremlin.

Anyways, IMO Metro Last Light is the finest game I have played this year, despite some gripes which I have with some sections in the final 25 minutes in the game, the character arc for Anna and some design choices. For me, a GOTY for sure (and yes I have played Infinite)

Compass tells you where to go when you're on the surface (though it's very dodgy), and the wheels of the tank start glowing red after you damage them just a bit, I believe.

Longstreet:
One advice to people that are gonna play the game, put spoken language on Russian. It's improves the game, and makes it WAY more immersive.

I Actually stopped playing the first one (With spoke on English) because i couldn't get into it. When LL was going to be released, I decided to replay it but did put spoken on Russian this time. Loved every second of it.

I heard some youtube vids where it was on English. And it was just bad. Bad bad bad bad bad.

Seriously, Russian is the way to go.

It would be, but the subtitles aren't exactly friendly in such situations. I'm happy to know a language that's more or less close to Russian (thanks to which I could understand most of the bystander's conversations and read all the signs), but most other people just won't understand most of it. And that'd be a shame, considering how much those bystander's conversations tell you about the world.

I loved the first Metro game, and I love this one. The atmosphere is great... once you've adjusted the FOV so as to not get a horrible headache.

Charcharo:
Anyways there were also the strippers

Stripers? ... I guess I understand the need for entertainment, but where would they get sexy clothes from?

I loved the train puns, here's hoping Yahtzee puts more puns in in future.

Charcharo:

Akichi Daikashima:

Charcharo:

Whilst I have gripes with Anna as a character, this was NOT a romance. Both Artyom and her were just doing it because they expected to die any moment or at the very least soo. Whilst there were feelings into the mix, it was not Love, at least not yet.

As for those powers... Artyom is no psychic. He just has more resistance to SOME of the otherworldly powers and can talk to the Dark Ones. Apart from them, there are many things that occur in the game or are spoken about by characters that fit the term "horro"quite well.

Yeah, the soppy music during the scene, and the fact she is literally the first woman Artyom sees in the game is sooo not trying to be romantic(!)

Sorry, but it really took me out of the game.

But to me, I always felt that the Metro series was strong because of how grounded it was, and that the supernatural elements just dispelled that immersion.

Also, Artyom can speak to monsters with his mind, I'm pretty sure that qualifies as psychic, at least, in the literal sense.

CAPTCHA: knock off.

DAMN IT, CAPTCHA, I AM TOO BORED TODAY TO NOT GRIPE ON SOMETHING.

There was such music :O . Anyways there were also the strippers and... and that poor woman in the dark tunnel
Anyways, for me the supernatural elements just added to the game, especially Polyanka (book), The Dead City(game), the various stories and the Kremlin.

Anyways, IMO Metro Last Light is the finest game I have played this year, despite some gripes which I have with some sections in the final 25 minutes in the game, the character arc for Anna and some design choices. For me, a GOTY for sure (and yes I have played Infinite)

Yeah, I really liked the Polyanka segment and that bit about the Kremlin, but I liked them because they were ambiguous; it wasn't clear if there was some fucked up shit going on, or if it was part of the Metro residents going insane.

Bottom line: we can both agree that the games and the book (EDIT: I just noticed you have read it) are awesome. :D

1337mokro:
Public transportation is quite excellent in my little country. Though all the subways move pretty much exclusively above ground which kind of fucks us over in case of nuclear war.

Can you really call it a 'subway' if they're just trains?

OT: I laughed at the line about CoD players chewing their arms off, but I'm not sure I'm cultured enough to understand the last text stinger line during the credits. Is it supposed to be another pun on the protagonist's name, or... ?

Anyway, it sounds like the stealth isn't quite so broken in this one, so I may eventually try it out as that's what put me off of the first game in the end... or maybe I'll just say eff it because I've got tons of other games to play anyway.

Akichi Daikashima:

Charcharo:

Akichi Daikashima:

Yeah, I really liked the Polyanka segment and that bit about the Kremlin, but I liked them because they were ambiguous; it wasn't clear if there was some fucked up shit going on, or if it was part of the Metro residents going insane.

Bottom line: we can both agree that the games and the book (EDIT: I just noticed you have read it) are awesome. :D

Yes we can, and a REAL good example of how to combine both mediums to create an even better world :D I also have read Metro 2034 too, but REALLY want to get some of those other books here.

Charcharo:

Akichi Daikashima:

Charcharo:

Yes we can, and a REAL good example of how to combine both mediums to create an even better world :D I also have read Metro 2034 too, but REALLY want to get some of those other books here.

Personally, I really want to get 2034, and I can't wait for 2035!

Now, I do have a theory to both why Artyom actually never speaks to anyone and why he have some resistance to psionic influence that most people around him doesn't. Maybe he's severely autistic, and can't actually speak, other than inside his head? And maybe his autism somehow gives him extra psionic resilience, so he can look at a Dark One without bad gangsta-rap immediately flooding his head.

Of course, sending a slightly mentally disabled young chap to take care of the Fourth Reich fellows isn't the nicest things Artyom's chums have ever done...

Copper Zen:
I have the same problem figuring out what I'm supposed to be doing in KOTOR II.

Funny how Yahtzee avoided giving the first game a review because it was good (albeit depressing). Since Bioshock he's focused on picking nits but I didn't think he deliberately avoided giving games reviews simply because they were good. It makes me wonder how many games out there I might have enjoyed if he brought them to my attention.

"Oh," gives begrudging list at end of episode, "I guess you might like these--they were to 'adequate' for me to shit on."

There's the other part about "hard to make jokes about." He's been positive about games before, but if he can't crack wise it's not really a ZP game, is it?

shrekfan246:

1337mokro:

Can you really call it a 'subway' if they're just trains?

Then what would we call our actual trains?

It's a complicated thing you'll see once you've actually seen one of those things.

I recommend this game to everyone, seriously it is amazing and the story is, not amazing but good. But the environment really make sup for it, if you immerse yourself to the situation and place you realize how grim and sad it really is.

Tho admittedly Artyom gets in to pickle bit too easily at times. But still my favorite character in a videogame series in a LOOOONG FUCKING TIME!
ALso the stealthing is great fun. Tho I hated the bits where there was any kind of animal life against you, it was just batshit insane, creepy and unpleasant. I sprinted through them fast as I could.

But if you really want to understand the story and the stakes play metro 2033 and then this, then you realize more about the stakes at the end.

Also this is the only game where I have seen boobs with nipples on them that have been normal and displacement mapped. Oh and you can pay for strippers to wave them to you in great detail. That should get at least few people to play the game.

I don't thank the driver when I get off the bus because it makes no sense. Once you're on, there's no question that you'll be getting off. I have many times, on the other hand, been passed by by a bus I was waiting for. So I thank the driver when I get on.

Don Reba:
You used Google Translate for the Russian writing bits, didn't you?

Glad i'm not the only one who noticed it.

Matthi205:

Longstreet:
One advice to people that are gonna play the game, put spoken language on Russian. It's improves the game, and makes it WAY more immersive.

I Actually stopped playing the first one (With spoke on English) because i couldn't get into it. When LL was going to be released, I decided to replay it but did put spoken on Russian this time. Loved every second of it.

I heard some youtube vids where it was on English. And it was just bad. Bad bad bad bad bad.

Seriously, Russian is the way to go.

It would be, but the subtitles aren't exactly friendly in such situations. I'm happy to know a language that's more or less close to Russian (thanks to which I could understand most of the bystander's conversations and read all the signs), but most other people just won't understand most of it. And that'd be a shame, considering how much those bystander's conversations tell you about the world.

I loved the first Metro game, and I love this one. The atmosphere is great... once you've adjusted the FOV so as to not get a horrible headache.

True the subtitles don't seem to match up at some places, but you can get the gist of what they are saying. It is too bad the bystanders don't get subtitles, but i do get it. There is just too much going on at once.

I am Dutch, and only understand a few words Russian. But it was way more fun for me than to put in on English with those horrible fake accents.

Couldn't understand the things some of the bystanders where saying, but didn't really care.

Just a thought about the closing comment, if they chewed their own arms off that'd be a good thing, because then they wouldn't be able to pollute the online experience with their presence.

Well that last bit shows we're on the right track at least.

Ah, wouldn't be a Yahtzee video without some good old-fashioned snobbery directed at CoD players.

Haven't gotten around to playing the game myself yet, although I'm watching an LP of it atm and it looks pretty good, overall.

Fun fact: The Moscow metro was built deeper then any other metro to withstand nuclear attack. The metro locks down in the case of nuclear attack, has independent power generators and is equipped with air filters and other measure that prevent collapse and flooding.

Other metros would not be an ideal place to hide in a post apocalyptic hell scape, as the air comes straight from the outside, and the whole thing will flood if the power is cut for more then a week.

Maybe this game was just made with me in mind, because I played it on Hardcore Ranger mode right off the bat and didn't stumble once. I knew where I was supposed to be going all the time because the game gives you a freaking magic compass. Not entirely unlike Jack Sparrows. It just points at where you need to go. So get lost, hold the compass button down and problem solved.

It should also be noted that you should ignore everything the compass and NPC's tell you about directions because they're all evil and out to hoard all the mad lootz for themselves. If an NPC tells you to go one way, you fucking well go the otherway first and pillage that strategically placed shotgun ammo and filter.

Actually, I tell a lie. There was one bit I was stuck on for like 10 minutes more than I should have been.

Other than that. My game of the year. And it fought off some stiff competition with Blood Dragon, Tomb Raider and Sanctum 2.

I'll tell you what did it for me, the sheer level of ambiance. 4A managed to make a richer and livelier game than anyone else I can think of. The pure life that was packed into those dank, gloomy tunnels. Everywhere you walked you could hear the noise of distant skittering, or angered howls and grunts as you disturbed something hiding in a near by bush.

Add all this to the absolute starkness of ranger mode, where you've got no fucking idea how much ammo or items you have.

Definitely my game of the year, and the second time I got the hidden ending on the first playthough on a metro game.

Akichi Daikashima:
I'm surprised that he didn't gripe on the crappy romance with the sniper, Anna.

Seriously, to me, it was like Russian Twilight, but whatever.

Ah, yea. That bit was cringy. And unfortunately so damn obvious from the start.

Seemed a little needlessly gratuitous too. Didn't really fit the rest of the games tone.

"Don't give it to a call of duty player... five minutes in they'll bite there arms off"
Soooooooo do give it to a call of duty player then?

I never finished the first Metro because I'm too much of a chicken shit(same with Stalker), though I did like the dirty bullets vs clean bullets dynamic.

Copper Zen:
I have the same problem figuring out what I'm supposed to be doing in KOTOR II.

There's something to do besides "Force Lightning everything to death"?

I could only play the first one for about half an hour before I got sick of the whole ammo = money thing.

canadamus_prime:
I could only play the first one for about half an hour before I got sick of the whole ammo = money thing.

You did realise you weren't meant to shoot the military rounds, right? You can buy the dirty rounds for a reason. Sure, they suck compared to the proper stuff but its better to buy shit bullets then to blaze through the good ones and find yourself penniless with a dry AK

canadamus_prime:

Why not just use dirty rounds? Besides you had more than enough anyway :P . Shotgun shells and darts/balls were not counted as money.

Sean Kay:

canadamus_prime:

You did realise you weren't meant to shoot the military rounds, right? You can buy the dirty rounds for a reason. Sure, they suck compared to the proper stuff but its better to buy shit bullets then to blaze through the good ones and find yourself penniless with a dry AK

Yes, but the mechanic still didn't make much sense. Besides was ammunition the only thing these people could think of to use as currency after the bomb hit? They couldn't have used something like, oh I don't know, bottle caps?

canadamus_prime:

Yes, but the mechanic still didn't make much sense. Besides was ammunition the only thing these people could think of to use as currency after the bomb hit? They couldn't have used something like, oh I don't know, bottle caps?

Well, bullets are useful and presumably relatively plentiful in the alternative Metro universe. It's about as logical a choice of currency as they were going to get, other than maybe rat sausage or cigarettes.

I never really noticed that big of a quality difference in the ammunition, myself. I mostly stuck to shotgun shells, though.

What irked me the most about the game is the inclusion of what can only be called boss fights. The first game didn't have any and that was perfectly fine by me. Instead this time you get locked in an area and not allowed to leave until the monster is dead. This resulted in some controller throwing during one fight because I happened to be down to my last air filter and I kept suffocating before rather than dying to the actual boss. Oh and did I mention all the bosses take an entire armory of bullets to put down? And that this is is a game about scrounging and saving supplies so ammo is always scarce? And that one boss you have to fight twice in a row with only a short tunnel between arenas and barely any supply pickups? So...yeah :/

The atmosphere and detail to the world is absolutely fantastic, the core gameplay is still solid and fun, but it gets bogged down by issues like that mentioned above. Give it a rent at the very least ^^

Mr. Q:

geldonyetich:
On second thought, lets do give it to the Call of Duty players. Maybe their being armless will slightly reduce the frequency of games in that formula being repeated, slightly.

I'm sure a few of the Spunkgargleweewee fans would suffer a nervous breakdown if not an aneurysm as well. Would certainly improve the gaming industry plus clean up the human gene pool a bit.

I really want to see that now. The fact METRO got released at all is proof the game industry still has some imagination at all and has room to get better.

captcha: baked in a pie
radioactive bear meat and potatoes are the pie fillings of the future.

Yahtzee really got me on board.
Lol, train puns.

DVS BSTrD:
It'll be nice shooting at Nazis again. That's the ticket 4A Games.

Then you will be disappointed because nazis were just some assholes that you happened to pass through on your way to meet other assholes.

Muspelheim:

canadamus_prime:

Well, bullets are useful and presumably relatively plentiful in the alternative Metro universe. It's about as logical a choice of currency as they were going to get, other than maybe rat sausage or cigarettes.

I never really noticed that big of a quality difference in the ammunition, myself. I mostly stuck to shotgun shells, though.

Except that you need the bullets to shoot the monsters.
"No don't shoot that monster! That's little Timmy's lunch money!"

This episode was really hilarious, especially the idea of getting CoD players to gnaw their own arms off.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here