Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: To Kill a Microsoft-bird

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Both great, but I'm staying in camp Jim for this one. A ballad of unparalleled beauty my good man!

I got chills listening to Jim's ballad.

I really hate the fact people have to declare a winner every week between these two excellent pieces of work.

That was the best piece so far and, for the first time, I really think Jim had the better piece. I never knew that he could sing like that!

This is the best show on the escapist, every week this show makes me laugh. Thanks Yahtzee and Jim!

To those who have brought it up, I say given that Yahtzee has never been shy about cutting out footage, I think we can assume that the coughing was part of the joke.

Two laugh out loud entries this week, Messrs. Croshaw and Sterling. Stay the course, for you're doing excellently.

I can't say I really understand Yahtzee this time around. Jim, that was good on ya.

Chessrook44:
Jim won, primarily because Yahtzee was disqualified for not making a poem. His was just a story. Seriously, where was the rhyming, the pattern, anything? YAHTZEE FAILED THIS WEEK.

Outside of couplets, ABAB is one of the most basic rhyme schemes. Yahtzee's first poem also used it or something more complicated than couplets. A later one was so extremely sing-songy / Dr Seuss that I wondered if he made it that way on purpose in response to these "It doesn't even rhyme!" posts. Of course, poems don't have to rhyme either.

The ballad of Jack Tretton was incredible.

@Jimothy Sterling Ain't that horse dead yet?

And you forgot to mention that the hero only banished the dragon in order to take the villagers' gold for himself. Just because he is not as bad as the dragon doesn't mean he is a clean cut good guy.

Jim should sing more, I agree. Also, Yahtzee gotta step up and sing his own now. Either that or these guys get together through Skype and do a duet.

Captcha: usual suspects
I was quite surprised actually, how about you?

They both did fantastic jobs this week.

I was kinda surprised by the end of Yahtzee's poem. Is the indie market going the route of the AAA or something? Because that's a terrifying thought.

I expected Jim's after his tweet regarding the Sony press conference. Nicely done.

Great ballad, Jim. Though I'm sure Tretton will do someing to piss you off again sooner or later.

contla:
Jim has the voice of an angel. Those little fat baby ones.

Cherubs?

Also, Jim, I would have enjoyed your singsong more if Sony hadn't tried the same shit with the PS3. It's hard to hold them up as heroes when a few short years ago we were being told "We can charge whatever we want and our fans will buy it".

I enjoyed watching Sony hand one to MS as much as the next guy. But I wouldn't be too quick to sing their praises. They simply had NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE but to be pro-consumer. And when they thought they had an option less than a decade ago, they weren't.

There are no heroes here. Only the ones who are infringing on our rights, by lesser degrees of magnitude.

I get the feeling that jim has been playing skyrim lately

Jim is not supposed to use metaphors, this series has been RUINED FOREVER.

That was a joke, a bad one I'm sure.

Best episode ever, first Yahtzee does one of his best pieces, with a hilarious pirate accent, and a comedy eyepatch under a pair of glasses. I couldn't think anyone could top that.

But then Jim knocked it out of the bloody park! Who knew he could sing :)

First time I can remember 2 masterpieces in the same video. Well play guys.

Someone needs to mod in Jim's song into the Skyrim tavern singer's repertoire on the double.

Thank you, thank you so much. That is all I have to say.

Okay, in the interest of avoiding mod wrath I'll also say that Jim's Alien collection gives me great envy.

Chessrook44:
Jim won, primarily because Yahtzee was disqualified for not making a poem. His was just a story. Seriously, where was the rhyming, the pattern, anything? YAHTZEE FAILED THIS WEEK.

o_o umm, there actually was a solid rhyme scheme, it was just longer verses and an alternating rhyme so i suppose it could be easily lost in the pirate voice as well. Still, it really was there.

ZZoMBiE13:

contla:
Jim has the voice of an angel. Those little fat baby ones.

Cherubs?

Also, Jim, I would have enjoyed your singsong more if Sony hadn't tried the same shit with the PS3. It's hard to hold them up as heroes when a few short years ago we were being told "We can charge whatever we want and our fans will buy it".

I enjoyed watching Sony hand one to MS as much as the next guy. But I wouldn't be too quick to sing their praises. They simply had NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE but to be pro-consumer. And when they thought they had an option less than a decade ago, they weren't.

There are no heroes here. Only the ones who are infringing on our rights, by lesser degrees of magnitude.

Well put good sir, well put.

Mumorpuger:
I really hate the fact people have to declare a winner every week between these two excellent pieces of work.

Agreed, i loved Croshaw's eyepatch and pirate voice, was quite funny and unexpected. I'ld love to be caught off-gaurd like that more often.

I had some problems with both dear writers' metric, but I can appreciate their take on artistic lisence for this one.

Also "blob blob blob blob blob."

Jim's poem on this one was easily my favorite on this show so far.

Great show, Jim and Yahtzee.

One thing though: If you opt to have background rythm, please follow it. The drums do not make sense if they don't fit the rythm of your speech. Or vice versa.

I enjoyed both of those, good job.
Yahtzee more for what it meant and the ironic ending
Jim for how it sounded and clever metaphor

Seriously, whoever came up with the idea for this series of videos deserves a fucking medal. As an English major, I've heard my fair share of poetry, and these two guys write the best material I've heard in a good long while.

Might be my bias as a gamer and they write poetry about games, but still, it's fan-frickin'-tastic.

Jim the extents you go to for those last line puns is amazing, great ballad.

Yahtzee seems to be experimenting with some complex rhyming schemes this week, quite impressive but hard to do with a pirate voice. Now I am left wondering how buoyant diamonds are, and how long its going to be before Sony does something stupid enough to mess up all the good grace they've earned so far.

Very nice.

Yahtzee's was a bit difficult to keep up with, the rhyme pattern isn't apparent.

Jim's poem/ballad was really neat, but could be made better with some quiet background music.

The horse is dead, no harm done in beating it some more. And if we get some entertainment out of it, even better.

Chessrook44:

You do realize that a poem does not need to rhyme right? A haiku does not require rhyming yet it is considered poetic.

Holy shit that was good, Jim Sterling everyone! Seriously both Jim and Yahtzee are master wordsmiths but damn Jim knocked it out of the pack this time.

That was awesome as always. Jim's tale felt a bit more grounded, which is why I thought it was better. Yahtzee's was too much on the side of metaphor.

Pirates, gold, diamonds and dragons!?! How the f@&k can you top that!?! Well done.

Jim, you should sing more often. This was your best episode yet.

Yahtzee, once again, the truth will out. As long as you phrase it in a tortured metaphor (and I checked the Geneva Convention; you're good.)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here