OMG Girlz Don't Exist on teh Intarweb!!!!1

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

OH MY GOD! THE ARTICLE IS THREE YEARS OLD :D Hahahahaha.

That aside, I would like to obtain some sort of photo/video-identification of said gender of the OP. Without such, we cannot believe what we are reading.

And with "we", I mean the entire gaming-society, of course.

Boo!

Sorry guys, this article had two comment threads because it was featured in a really old Best Of issue. Instead of having the same conversation in two places, we merged the threads so we can all talk about the same things over and over again in one place.

Thread unlocked, enjoy!

Catchphrase:
That aside, I would like to obtain some sort of photo/video-identification of said gender of the OP. Without such, we cannot believe what we are reading.

Whitney, the author, is also the person in the background art of the article. And until recently one of our site programmers - she's off getting a masters in cryptography or something now ;)

I've never really encountered this behaviour, for some reason. This whole "gurls don exits on teh intarwebz" phenomenon has an almost mythical status to me. It's an urban legend. I've never seen it, only heard of it. In fact the reverse once happened to me, somebody I knew on another forum years ago once admitted that she thought I was a girl, based on the tone and content of my posts. Never mind that this forum listed your gender (as well as age, location, join date, post count and days active) under every post you made.

Perhaps it's because the majority of my friends are female, and a sizable portion of those play games. Hence, it never really occured to me that girls don't play games or exist on the internet.

I remember reading that article when it first came out. I too am a girl on the internet. I used to play Counter Strike Source with a group of friends. Oh but if I ever decided to jump onto a different server from ours, punks would assume I was some 10 year old pokémon fan when I'd hit the voice chat.

Some people were mature, and accepted my gender status. Others fought it, like it could be disbelieved into unexistence. Demands of pictures, "proof," and disbelief have haunted my internet gaming. I usually would just send them to my Deviant Art page. There is a photo of me there, but they'd have to dig through my art to find it. XD Work for your treat!!

Women; the internet has them.

Firia:
There is a photo of me there, but they'd have to dig through my art to find it. XD Work for your treat!!

Women; the internet has them.

Nice trick, I'll have to remember that if I'm ever reincarnated as a woman (crosses fingers?)

Whitney Butts? Is that REALLY her name? Because if so she has to be the most beautiful tragically/comically named woman ever.

But seriously, everyone knows women on the internet are just figments of the over-active male imagination. *nods sagaciously and puffs pipe*

That was fast, glad to know humour and satire is lost on this community but hey as long as we're all happy clappy chappies who suck up to everyone everything will be fine. Oh I actually read the PM I got, apparently the gods of humour at The Escapist know what's funny and what's not. Wait I can rebuke right? Or is that "Not funny."

Through no fault of my own (i.e. no girls I know have Xboxes, or at least not Live) I have, what - one girl on my friends list, out of say 50. I'm not shocked, per se when I see someone who is clearly a girl on Matchmaking, but I can appreciate they are vastly outnumbered. It makes me sad that misogyny like this is present online, but I never seem to hear it in my own games. Mostly cause I'm not thick enough to brave Teamspeak on Live - I unplug the headset or I start a party.

Cheesus333:
Through no fault of my own (i.e. no girls I know have Xboxes, or at least not Live) I have, what - one girl on my friends list, out of say 50. I'm not shocked, per se when I see someone who is clearly a girl on Matchmaking, but I can appreciate they are vastly outnumbered. It makes me sad that misogyny like this is present online, but I never seem to hear it in my own games. Mostly cause I'm not thick enough to brave Teamspeak on Live - I unplug the headset or I start a party.

For reasons that are easy to understand, a lot of females don't pick gamertags that scream "I have boobs"; myself included.

more people should read that article, someone link it to the WoW forums. they really need it over there.

Is it just me or did anyone else think this was a troll thread until they clicked on it and realised it was actually Featured Content? Bearing in mind I clicked through the front page...

Anyway, I've played against gamers online who've apparently been girls before (I say apparently because obviously you can't prove gender through an online game...). Girl gamers tended to, and still do tend to, be at least as good, if not better than, guys. I don't see gender as being important in any way whatsoever when it comes to gaming, unless you're a really butch guy and you regularly play Barbie: Pony Adventures (though that's mainly because of Barbie, not so much ponies. Ponies are awesomesauce incarnate).

mini-moose:
That was fast, glad to know humour and satire is lost on this community but hey as long as we're all happy clappy chappies who suck up to everyone everything will be fine. Oh I actually read the PM I got, apparently the gods of humour at The Escapist know what's funny and what's not. Wait I can rebuke right? Or is that "Not funny."

No...that's because you just seem like a bit of an idiot to me.

Trivun:
Is it just me or did anyone else think this was a troll thread until they clicked on it and realised it was actually Featured Content? Bearing in mind I clicked through the front page...

I thought it was gonna be a serious topic, but not featured content.

I had a friend on PSN who I met on GRAW, she was cool. Another friend plays on quite a few games thatI do aswell (Prince of Persia, Flower, WipeoutHD), just not FPSs because she finds them difficult to aim, but that's not because she's a girl. This girl is quite small and cute.

Another girl I know is a huge Halo fan. That's all that needs to be said, isn't it? This girl is quite attractive aswell, if not very.

So, in conclusion, the retards on the internet (most of them probably /b/tards, or have come from /b/tard descent) should leave the internet.

EDIT: In fact, whenever I go on Omegle an I meet a woman, I point out that I WON'T ask for naked pics...not unless she offers of course...

Why won't this thread die? What does it have so much appeal.

I believe there are girls on the internet (because, you know, I'm a girl, on the internet, so that's one, at least), they simply mostly aren't very open about it; mostly because of the fact that people, while these are often easy to ignore (at least for some), can be douchebags about it. And while I sincerely hope that we live in a society where such things won't happen, it's always a possible risk. So girls on the internet aren't usually very open about the fact that they are girls on the internet, for the sake of being safe and not discriminated, thus leading to the impression that there are no girls on the internet.

At least, that's what I think. Of course, I could be wrong.

(Also, for some reason, I remember one time when I was playing my precious TF2, voicechatting to some immature jackass, trying to pose a good argument instead of just going 'wtf noob'. Mid-argument, he cut me off, saying 'You talk like a girl'. I stared at my monitor, was amused, and replied with the truth. 'I am a girl.' His response was 'Oh. .... ... ... ... ...Okay.'

He didn't respond to me anything more, and I immediately felt the 'awkward'-level rise by about ninety-five percent. The combined emotion of 'Girls? In MAH TF2?!' had gathered to some gigantic force of social tension, some mutated beast that could not be stopped.

I didn't mind this much, since, while it was caused by me, it didn't necessarily have to apply to me unless I let it. So I kept playing, undaunted.)

Jenny Decimal:
I don't even bother playing online anymore because, honestly, I ran out of patience with the attitudes of the people I was playing with/ against. If a guy loses a game, he's just had a bad round. If a girl loses a game, it's because her tiny cake-baking hands and shoe shopping brain can't handle such complex operations. It's hard to be bothered going through a games' learning curve when every single loss lets your whole gender down, and every win is assumed to have been the product of your opponent's incompetence rather than your own ability.

That said, I think people would really be surprised at how many girls they've actually encountered on the internet. There are plenty of girls with far more patience and determination than me. They just don't identify themselves, for all the reasons stated in the piece.

There's an assumption that female gamers, in so far as they exist, are only interested in the two S's, Sims and Singstar.

Then there's the larger issue, that FPS's and many multiplayers just aren't designed with girls in mind.

I'm a manager in a games shop, and I'm so sick of having customers ask me to ask one of the guys a question - on the assumption that I myself couldn't - that I'm starting to get kinda resigned to it.

I too have had to deal with that same gender bias when I first started playing RS back in 2000 I was in an area in the game with 2 other females killing mobs a guy walked into the area where we were and acted surprised that we were actual rl females and ask us why were we playing that we should be doing our hair and make-up like girls playing video games was unheard of.

Heh- I also play wow and my first main was a female character (I'm a guy). Anyways i start hanging out with another dude who also has a female toon. A few months go by and i finally hit the level cap, join some raids and start talking in vent and he's shocked to discover i was a guy... Kinda a strange experience on the internet

Very good article, I have similar experiences in-game with guys not believing i'm a girl. for the most part I don't tell any random people who I am in RL and let them think what ever they want to think about me. and my guild which I joined at the start of WoTLK is really great, we have about 5 girls in the guild so everyone is used to it by now which is good.

This is the super necro thread.

Super ultra necro thread, now.

I never really understood the whole mentality behind 'girls don't exist on the interwebs'. I've met plenty of female players before and I (typically) didn't freak out over any of them, and I started playing online games at the age of twelve.

Maybe it was the fact that my computer teachers prior to that point had all been women? I don't know what it was, but either way, when I hear a female voice on ventrilo or someone tells me that they're a female player, I don't jump to silly conclusions.

In seventy years when women rule the world, "OMG Guyz don't exist 0n teh intarWEB!!!1"

I'm a girl.
/thread

>:]

theincurabletragedy:
I'm a girl.
/thread

>:]

I don't really get why so many guys react so... well, stupidly when someone mentions they're a girl on the internet. For that matter I don't see why they request pictures either. They have no right to know what someone looks like unless the person in question wishes it, and they're going to claim it's some random picture they found or the person's sister or something, so why bother?

If they stopped making such a big deal over it, the bullshit would end. Or at least it would help things.

I fail to see why such a huge deal is made about Internet people and whether they really have an XX or XY chromosome pairing. People , for instance, join games online to have fun and to riddle the opposing team with holes. Last time I checked, the person in question's sex had nothing to do with the level of desire for fun and ownage.

Tell it like it is, Whitney.

I'm not saying this to brag, but I've never refused to believe people when they told me they're a girl.
How could I, when I've got two female WoWers staring at me even as I type this?

Girls do exist on the internet, and any guy out there who can't see that is a sad sack of shit.

I've never had a problem with girls on the Internet. I've never considered males more able to play games. They just happen to be the majority. And while I haven't played online with unknown females, I know that I wouldn't act that disrespectfully. I socialize with girls in real life, and if I treated them the same way the guys treated you, I would receive a firm kick in the balls.

I have to say, sometimes, yes, there are assholes on the internet that treat girl gamers like this. Okay, most of the time. But I'm not really surprised about girl gamers. I play WOW and in my guild, there are maybe 5 or 6 girls. A lot less then the 30 or so guys, but no one does the stuff that you just wrote to them. They are actually some of the best players in our guild, and aren't treated any differently then the guys. Though, AGE is kind of an issue. For some reason, people don't expect to find other people playing games over the age of 30. But that's beside the point.

IT LIVVVVVVVVESSSSSSS!!!! NECRO-THREAD LIVVVVVVVVVVEEEEESSSSSSSS!!! MUAHAHAHAHA. Quick Egor!!! We need more power!!!

Anywho, now that I got that out of my system. One of the biggest Halo fans I've ever met is a girl. hell, she waited for 2 days outside of a games store for when Halo 3 came out. Insane chick that she is, my sister is the exact oppisite. She stopped playing video games entirely because someone heard her "feminine voice" when playing online. Everything went horribly wrong for her after that. team betryals, killing no one but her, swearing at her... It was crazy.

Why won't this thead die!

Thats it, initiating necro-thread destruction protocol.

And then we all eat pancakes.

I can't say this was ever really my experience, especially not on WoW, I only had very limited reactions like that, and it was almost always from 12 yos. The only sex discrimination was positive, and it meant it was easier to find a party for a run in my guild, but I don't know how much of that was due to my gender or general personality. Vent was never an issue, people would occasionally be surprised by it, but it never went past that.

Omg! A girl on the internet! Who'dve thought it? I mean, They shouldn't leave the kitchen!

In all seriousness though. I dont care if you are male, Female, Cat, Badger or Hatstand. At the risk of sounding passive aggressive:

We know girls are on the internet. Pixs or gtfo is the realm of 4chan, not the internet on the whole. Your female, Get over yourself. Join the list of people who instantly go on the attack on the internet, Along with furries.

Im sorry for sounding all aggressive, but topics like this tend to be the "fall back topics" to writers.

Black writers fall back on slavery, Gay writers fall back on coming out, And how they are treated differently, And Female gamers fall back on the whole "Im a girl on the internet, And i kick ass".

Im going to add in a footnote (With a bit more explination):

If you ask any girl gamer they will have stories about gamers flirting with them. But then again, if you ask ANYONE over the age of 21 (who hasn't spent his entire teenage years inside on the internet (Sorry people, But i need to call on that great area known as the "socially aware people")) they will have stories about instances they've had people who they dont like, Flirting with them. Ive not been the most socially active of people, But ive got a fair few stories of my own.

I know this article is old, And so maybe my anger isnt directed entirely at the OP, But it is directed at Girl Gamers who think they're better than everyone else, because they can bear children.

I've seen both sides of the issue- guys being total assholes and douchebags because a girl was playing an online game, OR, a female was taking advantage of the fact that there are lonely gamer guys, and will get them to do anything they want for them in exchange for a little attention (or a lot, if they go so far as cybering and sending naked pictures).

Its sad and pathetic, and females like that deserve to be shot in the face. You know the ones, the internet sluts who join a guild/group just to flirt and be complete attention-whores because they know people IRL will find their personality about as interesting as dirt. As a female, I cannot -stand- them, and they're just as bad as the masochistic internet males or the immature 12 year olds, and all deserve to be rounded up in a pit of fire.

PS- Guys will do this too of course, pretend to be a slutty female so they can get other guys to give them stuff (talk about pathetic), but from what I've seen, the vast majority are actual manipulative females.

-End rant-

Lord George:
Why won't this thread die? What does it have so much appeal.

You can't kill this post! It's already dead! THREAD IS UNDEAD! IT'S AN UND-THREAD! MWAHAHAHAHA!

But yeah, old post is old.

MGlBlaze:

I don't really get why so many guys react so... well, stupidly when someone mentions they're a girl on the internet. For that matter I don't see why they request pictures either. They have no right to know what someone looks like unless the person in question wishes it, and they're going to claim it's some random picture they found or the person's sister or something, so why bother?

I agree that this is unacceptable, but at the same time I kind of get it. It's probably because they've been in a situation, or know someone who has been in a situation, or have heard about someone who has been in a situation where some perv enticed some guy by pretending to be a hot chick on the internet and they later discovered that it was actually a 40 year old gay pedophile. Realistically, this probably doesn't happen too often (unless you go into some dirty IRC channel of course) but it's a frightening enough scenario to stick in the public consciousness.

The picture thing is just for verification. If the picture they get is the picture of someone who is attractive, even if they're not supermodel hot, it sets off people's "dirty old gay guy trying to score insecure teenage nerd ass" radar. If it's a not-so-good-looking girl, most guys would probably say, "okay, this person's probably the real deal" and start acting like human beings again.

So basically, "no girls on teh interwebz" means, "Don't trust anyone who claims to be a girl on the internet because they're probably a creep." Again, not an endorsement of the practice. Just calling it like I see it.

Why is it that girls 'don't exist on the interweb'? Because then the hormonal, sociophobic nerd would have to accept that he is no longer failing to pull girls because he is 'better' or 'cloistered' in his favourite world - now there is a member of the opposite sex who may or may not be in a relationship - but not with them. And so they turn to trolling, creeping and exclusion so they can sleep safe at night knowing that no-one is e-cooler than they are. It's somewhat ironic in that they themselves are shutting off access to the female attention they desperately want.

It's strangely similar for boys; at least socially-integrated ones. Having a girlfriend or being sexually active as well as having an active internet life is often seen as being blasphemous or 'letting the side down' - the less social folk extrapolate the data that they want to hear from the target's existence and form a kind of automatic loathing against them.

Perhaps the phrase 'no popular person popular on the interweb' would be more appropriate at this point.

The point is this; girls can game, and game hard. My ex thrashed me at Mario Kart Wii, Mario Party 8 and before you slap the 'she's only good at kiddie games' logo on her, she's also amazing at FPSs. Guys, think about that the next time you're staring down an Amazon Swordswoman who could command you to give her all your gold and throw yourself off a cliff if you thought she'd cyber with you.

Girls beat out boys simply because boys are lead around by their reproductive organs.

EDIT: Oh snap, I didn't realise how dead this was. Sorry.

John Funk:
Bad Russ.

Bad, BAD Russ.

No biscuit.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHUZZAHAHAHHAHA!

THIS is why I love the escapist!

even the staff love to make jokes!

Wow... first 4 pages I have read that actually made me laugh the whole way through.

Yes, I do know girls that game, mainly on mmo's and party games (like mariokart, rockband etc). I just tend to believe that when somebody claims that they are a girl, that they are. Im totally aware that some guys derive some sort of kick from acting as a girl (I dont get it) but, meh, with them sounding like a girl, its much more pleasing to the ears than some other guy's voice (Oh, except for the scream spammers).

Mind you though, the occasional girl that owns in fps scares me. I only know of 2 decent fps players that are girls (yes, I know them in person thats why), and they owned during our halo 2 days.

So yes, I knew long ago that girls exist but, also that the majority of gamers are guys and therefore a patriarchal attitude is adopted in the gaming community where girls get denied.

my mum plays wow she can get a lvl 1 to lvl 80 in less then a week with 4-5 hours a day

Wow, which issue was this article in? Why don't the mods derail threads like they did at the start of this one any more? When did the background pictures for the articles improve?

WHY ARE THESE COMMENTS STILL GOING?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or