Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Solid 4

Pages PREV 1 . . . 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 . . . 31 NEXT

Its been widely known for a long, LONG time before the release that people who weren't interested in the series already weren't welcome. That means that the game is giving us the complex plots brilliant characterization and full and total explanations the fans want. The game couldn't make it clearer if it actually said on the box "If you haven't played the other MGS games, then kindly fuck right off".

I like games that are realistic (exception is Halo of course) not crazy.

Indigo_Dingo:
Its been widely known for a long, LONG time before the release that people who weren't interested in the series already weren't welcome. That means that the game is giving us the complex plots brilliant characterization and full and total explanations the fans want. The game couldn't make it clearer if it actually said on the box "If you haven't played the other MGS games, then kindly fuck right off".

I honestly think thats about the best way to put it. You love it or hate it and All the people who say the writing is bad, I'm sorry people but you just hate it, nothing more.

TerraMGP:
Mspencer... well, I suppose that you are not a Marvel fan. Point is that its no more nonsenical than most science fiction in this sense. It violates genetics, well so did mutants, then they implied that the mutant gene started out created by a race of big metal space gods. Hulk got gamma radiation and now he turns into a big growling brute that seems to have theoretically limitless strength. Your saying his story is bad because its the same as EVERY other Science fiction work. Now on to things like the long 'last words' those are not bad writing they just require you to not think of them in the strict terms of 'oh well this person is dying blah blah' but rather as in the overall point he is trying to make. Think of the B&B squad a bit. Hes trying to demonstrate yet again the horrors of war and what they do to people. Frankly I hated the cobras because they deviated from this. I WANTED to know more and I know many other people did too. Its not bad writing to try and showcase microcosms, to try and give a rhyme and reason to these seemingly bizarre characters and bring them to a more human level. Its all supposed to give you a sense of the kinds of motivations and hardships people have. Thats my whole point, your looking at it with too much focus on the main story and wanting to just plow though it. You have to take this kind of game like a sunday drive, not the Indie 500

You're right about one thing, I hate Marvel. Why do you keep mentioning other things with bad writing? Rather than defend Metal Gear and try to give examples of why you think it's good you're just pointing at other stuff and saying "See? They do it too!" I'm not saying those others aren't bad, I'm saying Kojima isn't the genius you and thousands of others make him out to be.

I get that Kojima wants to showcase the horrors of war (a dead horse he has thoroughly bludgeoned into pulp at this point) but when he adds back story upon back story at the expense of the game itself, that's bad. For example, in Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake is given a mission to rescue Sokolov, but before he can get to that he has to meet his support team (who were on the same damn plane he just jumped out of) and have a chat with the Boss about their past. I understand the need to fill in the gamer on the plot, but isn't it best to stick to basics? I was listening to it all and asking myself what the hell any of it had to do with rescuing Sokolov.

Observe:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/mspencer82/0625081626-00.jpg

What was that about what the fans want?

Indigo_Dingo:

Really? Well a lot of those perfect score reviews said even if you had never play a MGS you would love it. I wasted $60 because of that.

Honestly while it was a enjoyable review, i feel it falls into the same trap that SSBB review did.

The problem is when Yahtzee resigns himself to play a game he has no real liking in it shows in the review, and it comes off as alot less humorous then i would expect. This does happens with the big name sequel titles rather then the not so exciting ones (see Haze) but i think its detremental to his reveiwer status in general if he keeps picking up games he has already mentally reviewed as shit before he actually plays it because it just comes off as second rate.

Still, i dont think any big name titles are coming out now till september so i'm hoping we should get some awesome reviews like painkiller was again.

mspencer82:

You're right about one thing, I hate Marvel. Why do you keep mentioning other things with bad writing? Rather than defend Metal Gear and try to give examples of why you think it's good you're just pointing at other stuff and saying "See? They do it too!" I'm not saying those others aren't bad, I'm saying Kojima isn't the genius you and thousands of others make him out to be.

I get that Kojima wants to showcase the horrors of war (a dead horse he has thoroughly bludgeoned into pulp at this point) but when he adds back story upon back story at the expense of the game itself, that's bad. For example, in Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake is given a mission to rescue Sokolov, but before he can get to that he has to meet his support team (who were on the same damn plane he just jumped out of) and have a chat with the Boss about their past. I understand the need to fill in the gamer on the plot, but isn't it best to stick to basics? I was listening to it all and asking myself what the hell any of it had to do with rescuing Sokolov.

My point is these are not things with bad writing, you just have a totally diffrent taste in writing so when you see something that does not fit that taste, its bad. I really think we have nothing left to say. I have no idea what you have against MGS, Star wars, Marvel, And probably Tolkien, GITS, Warhammer 40K and everything else but at this point I just have no respect for your opinion what so ever in terms of writing. You can't see past the main plot idea behind a story it seems, or you just don't care. Its not bad writing its just that you don't like more complex writing.

As a MGS fan: that's why i love his Reviews ^^

TerraMGP:
My point is these are not things with bad writing, you just have a totally diffrent taste in writing so when you see something that does not fit that taste, its bad. I really think we have nothing left to say. I have no idea what you have against MGS, Star wars, Marvel, And probably Tolkien, GITS, Warhammer 40K and everything else but at this point I just have no respect for your opinion what so ever in terms of writing.

Actually I've read The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy twice. They're lengthy, but enjoyable. Tolkien avoided unnecessary information (for the most part), a trap Kojima falls into as often as I fall into the traps in Shadow Moses (honestly, I forget they're there). It isn't just what Kojima writes about, it's how he writes it. He's constantly changing things from game to game and it doesn't always make sense. Within games he repeats information that we've already heard, uses things from past games, and writes characters with no clear motivation.

You don't respect my opinion? That's fine, I still respect yours. It's called being open-minded.

Well its hard to take an opinion seriously when you keep knocking things as bad writing simply because they don't seem to be your type of writing. It feels almost like arguing with someone whos just trying to be contrary. The thing is I don't think that Kojima has ever really given out too much information that did not end up falling into place in his grand tapestry. I guess we just disagree because frankly I don't find ANY of that to be the case in his work. I think he has done a good job of explaining his characters, that he gives out whats really needed and in truth alot of the little details have always just been things that you have to mull over. Its the little things that end up making the story, they are important if you just look at them long enough.

If I may, I'd like to quell the debate about the games problems with genetics, by a Transcript between Raiden and Emma Emerich, discussing the power the GW would give to the Patriots.

Emma : It's not. In fact, something similar is already underway. Do you
know how many genes exist in an individual?

Raiden : About 30 to 40 thousand?

Emma : Right. That's what was announced at the turn of the century. But
there's actually 100 thousand, according to the original theory
advanced by the scientific community. Information regarding the
remaining 60 thousand was suppressed by the Patriots.

Raiden : No...?

Emma : Why? How would you know? Do you know what a gene looks like? Did
you count them yourself?

Explanation for any and all problems with genetics.

The timeline works too - at the point where they took control, the Patriots started to supress the information - rewrite history, as it were. Don't believe me? How many people outside the scientific community knew how many genes we had in the 1960s? A constant barrage of misinformation will eventually change the facts, if all subsequent data supoorts the new theory.

mspencer82:

Jumplion:
(please note that i have not read your previous arguments, so i gathered what i could. Please correct me if i'm wrong)

Wow, that is extremely retarted IMHO. So the MGS series is automatically irrelivant and the plot is poorly written because it takes place on Earth in an alternate 20th and 21st century and has impossible technologies and genetics because it is in an ALTERNATE Earth. But Star Wars is completely relevant and can be believed because it doesn't take place in our galaxy, and even though the physics are completely impossible (faster than light travel, light sabers, ray guns) it is apparantly better story writing than MGS (not saying SW has bad writing, they are both equal)? Personally, i had no idea what the hell was going on in the SW episodes i watched in the order of release.

I guess you missed the part where I implied that Star Wars has nonsensical plots too. Alternate Earths is one thing, the many worlds theory makes anything possible I suppose, but some of the things in Metal Gear would have to take place in Bizarro World. Vamp runs up walls, Fortune deflects bullets without the aid of technology (even the technology was stupid), I could go on all day.

The bad science was just something we got into discussing. In one of my earlier posts I cited the repetitive dialog, game-to-game retcons, and of course bad science as just a few examples of Kojima's terrible writing. There's also the face that nearly everyone has a drawn out death scene with "last words" that could fill seven pages of the script, and that's regardless of whether they stay dead or not. The only exception to the rule were the Cobras in MGS3, I think the Fury was the only one who talked a lot before his death but even that was short compared to some of the deaths in this series.

Surprisingly, I like the Metal Gear series. The gameplay is usually fun, and the plot is usually worth a few laughs.

(just a reminder that we are arguing for the sake of arguing :P)

Really? Excuses that MGS is poorly written (or something along those lines) because Vamp can run on walls? If Ninjas in the 10th century (or whatever century the games are based in) can run on walls why can't a seemingly immortal person in the FUTURE (for ninjas) with technology run on walls and not be classified as bad writting?

And Fortune was called "Lady Luck" for a reason, seeing as how every grenade thrown at her was a dud and shots always missed. It goes away from the technology side of MGS and goes into a "magical feel" or soemthing like that.

I just don't understand how you can impliy that the MGS series has bad writing. It's much more believeable than a ring that somehow destroys everything in range, or faster than light travel, or magical demons that pop up and a ninja with a huge arsenal of weapons to hack and slash at them.

Hell, any game could be labeled as being poorly written. Eternal Sonata, about a composer dreaming of a world in peril or whatever. WhAt ThE hElL iS tHaT/

If Kojima can't be creative with his story without being accused of writing poorly then MGS should have never been, and i would rue that day.

Just one more thing (not directed to you) for everyone who says that Kojima is a frustrated film maker or that he should make movies instead of games because of all the cutscenes, A)Fuck you and B)Which would you rather have? A Movie with no interactivness whatsoever or a Game that is like a movie, but you can be part of the experience?

My money's on the game.

@Indigo_dingo: Yes, precisely. Well done.

well ive never played any other MSG games or heard any plots so before this i just looked on wiki and when i played though i liked it even the overly lengthy cutscenes, sure some could of used cutting back, as they where interesting especially if you think into them. I can see why people would dislike the game if they where used to faster paced games but there is a skip button if you dont like the cutscenes, Kojima also likes to use metaphors which can be confusing

TerraMGP you know your a fanboy when every single post youve ever had was on this thread defending 1 single game, your clearly not going to convert ANYONE please just give up its been 3 DAYS. I'm not trying to take anyones side here but the sides are just TerraMGP against everyone else. This Shit is Bananas (im going to be quoting that for the next week i swear).

OMG i never, NEVER thought I'd see the day Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw would not make me laugh.
I wont blame you though Yahtzee, Its my fault, I'm a MGS fanboy, I know I am and Im proud ^_^
I have found that i have agreed with, and enjoyed, your critical reveiws on every single occation (apart from games i never played, still funny though^^) but the line has finaly been crossed; I am now the sad man who thought MGS4 could stand up to your "game destroying vocabulary" but alas, no.

I spent the whole vid waiting for a "But actually I enjoyed MGS4" in a Yahtzee kind of way but it just ended. >_<

anyway, if you ever read this (doubt that you will just becuase there are like, 600 replies and who has the time? xD) then i do think you expected MGS4 to be a fanboy only game and in retrospect, it is.
but i dont think you gave the chance (and the sneaking only realy works on the harder settings, its much better! ^_^) but then as we all know MGS4 is like Marmite.

Nuff said. haha

look forward to the next entry

oh and i know you hate request.....so i wont :p

Syine:
OMG i never, NEVER thought I'd see the day Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw would not make me laugh.
I wont blame you though Yahtzee, Its my fault, I'm a MGS fanboy, I know I am and Im proud ^_^
I have found that i have agreed with, and enjoyed, your critical reveiws on every single occation (apart from games i never played, still funny though^^) but the line has finaly been crossed; I am now the sad man who thought MGS4 could stand up to your "game destroying vocabulary" but alas, no.

I spent the whole vid waiting for a "But actually I enjoyed MGS4" in a Yahtzee kind of way but it just ended. >_<

anyway, if you ever read this (doubt that you will just becuase there are like, 600 replies and who has the time? xD) then i do think you expected MGS4 to be a fanboy only game and in retrospect, it is.
but i dont think you gave the chance (and the sneaking only realy works on the harder settings, its much better! ^_^) but then as we all know MGS4 is like Marmite.

Nuff said. haha

Hes played through all of them im pretty sure he doesnt HATE them he just thinks its got some flaws.

TerraMGP:

Indigo_Dingo:

I honestly think thats about the best way to put it. You love it or hate it and All the people who say the writing is bad, I'm sorry people but you just hate it, nothing more.

As I've mentioned before, I love the MGS series and can even forgive its wacky plot. But I still think the dialogue and even the story structure could have been better realised. But now that I think of it... I've given up caring.

Good review Yahtzee... But not the funniest.

I say if we want to show him how wrong he is about this game, I say we all request, as one, that he review a really horrible game - Mario Kart Wii

YYZed:

Syine:

Nuff said. haha

Hes played through all of them im pretty sure he doesnt HATE them he just thinks its got some flaws.

If he doesn't know who the La Li Lu Le lo are, I doubt he did, even if he has claimed to play MGS2

Indigo_Dingo:

YYZed:

Syine:

Nuff said. haha

If he doesn't know who the La Li Lu Le lo are, I doubt he did, even if he has claimed to play MGS2

eh whatever I have no room to talk the closest thing ive ever played to MGS is SSBB >_>.

Indigo_Dingo:
I say if we want to show him how wrong he is about this game, I say we all request, as one, that he review a really horrible game - Mario Kart Wii

As kind of a comparison? Like saying "No, this is a horrible game!" I'd be okay with that. The MGS series is far from horrible, even far above "average". I think a round of Mario Kart Wii would make Yahtzee love MGS4.

Hasn't he said he refuses to play/review it though?

Jumplion:

Just one more thing (not directed to you) for everyone who says that Kojima is a frustrated film maker or that he should make movies instead of games because of all the cutscenes, A)Fuck you and B)Which would you rather have? A Movie with no interactivness whatsoever or a Game that is like a movie, but you can be part of the experience?

My money's on the game.

A movie is $9 to see 20-35 (DVD-Blu-ray) to own A game is $10 to rent $60 to own
Movie graphics > Game graphics
Not saying MGS the movie would be better than the games (Although MGS4 is pretty much a movie(non-interactive)) just there are valid points for one (FF movies are good examples)

I haven't played the games so I'm not going to debate if it is badly written or not but I know most of the story and the main problem with MGS4 story is that it relies solely on the audience's suspension of disbelief.If you're not willing to put up with Kojima's bullshit,the game will do nothing but further reject you.A next-gen 2008 game shouldn't have an attitude like that towards the storyline.

shatnershaman:

Jumplion:

My money's on the game.

A movie is $9 to see 20-35 (DVD-Blu-ray) to own A game is $10 to rent $60 to own
Movie graphics > Game graphics
Not saying MGS the movie would be better than the games (Although MGS4 is pretty much a movie(non-interactive)) just there are valid points for one (FF movies are good examples)

Ah ha, BUT you can play (most) games over and over again and it will still be appealing to you. (Most) Movies get old after the first few runs of it.

PLUS, multiplayer. I don't think watching a movie with friends count as multiplayer for movies.

But really, you'd rather see a movie than get a movie and a game all in one? If that's so, then i feel very sorry for you.

I can't remember, did they ever say what the origin of "La Li Lu Le Lo"? I don't mean the Patriots, I mean the actual phrase. Was it something that originated with the Philosophers, or was it something the Patriots came up with during Zero's time?

mspencer82:
I can't remember, did they ever say what the origin of "La Li Lu Le Lo"? I don't mean the Patriots, I mean the actual phrase. Was it something that originated with the Philosophers, or was it something the Patriots came up with during Zero's time?

I'm not sure about this, but i think that some of the people couldn't say "Patriots" or "Philosiphors" (nanomachines i think) so they resorted to saying La Li Lu Le Lo. Not sure if that's entierly true or true at all.

First time I remember hearing that was with Tommy boy. I'm sure its somewhere else as well but I remember Tommy boy

I find it somewhat amusing that both Gamespot (tm) (also, Jerks) and Yahtzee have both picked up on much the same points of MGS4 but have taken utterly different stances on each of them... For Gamespot the fact that Combat is Challenging but you can succeed regardless makes this part of the game accomplished. Yahtzee, being a bi... somewh... a LOT more discerning as a game reviewer, realises that this is through a combination of bad combat controls and bad AI. Beyond making that point, all I can say is I concur with all of Yahtzee's sentiments and declare this latest intallment a smashing success (90min cutscene everybody, need any more be said?)

Jumplion:
Ah ha, BUT you can play (most) games over and over again and it will still be appealing to you. (Most) Movies get old after the first few runs of it.

PLUS, multiplayer. I don't think watching a movie with friends count as multiplayer for movies.

But really, you'd rather see a movie than get a movie and a game all in one? If that's so, then i feel very sorry for you.

Actually the thing with movies getting old after the first few times is why I skip cutscenes and codec calls on the second and third runs through every Metal Gear game. Even when I played MGS2 for the first time in at least two years and I promised myself I would listen to everything like I did the first time I played it, I couldn't help but skip the opening scene in the Plant Chapter.

As lengthy as the cutscenes are, I do try to sit back and enjoy them the first time I play. Really frustrating if you have to use the bathroom in the middle of one. Thank god for the pause button in MGS4.

Jumplion:

I'm guessing you don't buy the $30 special editions (documentary,commentaries,deleted scens)
I have watched Holy Grail 10 times and I've only had it for 3 weeks. Yes the game is probably better I just find the gameplay parts of MGS4 shitty. I am the Halo guy remember.

mspencer82:

Jumplion:

Actually the thing with movies getting old after the first few times is why I skip cutscenes and codec calls on the second and third runs through every Metal Gear game. Even when I played MGS2 for the first time in at least two years and I promised myself I would listen to everything like I did the first time I played it, I couldn't help but skip the opening scene in the Plant Chapter.

As lengthy as the cutscenes are, I do try to sit back and enjoy them the first time I play. Really frustrating if you have to use the bathroom in the middle of one. Thank god for the pause button in MGS4.

Hey, i never said that i watched the cutscenes the second and third time around. THough i absolutely love the beggining cutscene and the fanale one at Act 3 (FUCKING SWEET)

shatnershaman:

Jumplion:

I'm guessing you don't buy the $30 special editions (documentary,commentaries,deleted scens)
I have watched Holy Grail 10 times and I've only had it for 3 weeks. Yes the game is probably better I just find the gameplay parts of MGS4 shitty. I am the Halo guy remember.

Please notice how i said "most" movies loose repitition. And the same thing goes with the commentaries and deleted scenes, once you watch them once you're going to have a tough time wanting to watch them again unless you want to watch it with friends.

And seriously, c'mon, a movie over a game and a movie? Really? You've got to be kidding me.

mspencer82:

Every time the words La Li Lu Le Lo have been said, it was used in the context of one character talking about the Patriots, but not saying that word. We're all just assumed to fill in the blanks. Personally, I got it when the Marine captain first said it.

Jumplion:

mspencer82:

I'm not sure about this, but i think that some of the people couldn't say "Patriots" or "Philosiphors" (nanomachines i think) so they resorted to saying La Li Lu Le Lo. Not sure if that's entierly true or true at all.

Awkward if your an american football fan.

Jumplion:
[
Please notice how i said "most" movies loose repetition. And the same thing goes with the commentaries and deleted scenes, once you watch them once you're going to have a tough time wanting to watch them again unless you want to watch it with friends.

And seriously, come on, a movie over a game and a movie? Really? You've got to be kidding me.

I don't buy movies that are in the most. You haven't heard the Simpson/Futurama commentaries (including the movies). If I don't like the game part of the game movie why pay the $30 extra.

Roblin:

Jumplion:

mspencer82:

Awkward if your an american football fan.

People under the direct control of the Patriots, via nanomachines, were unable to refer to the Patriots. Their nanomachines forced them to say La Li Lu Le Lo instead.

No idea where the phrase itself originates though.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 . . . 31 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here