Zero Punctuation: Fallout 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

The embed code is not working.

It's not loading for me.
=/
This happens every time they come out new. I can't wait for it to load...

It looked a whole lot like Yahtzee was grasping for straws when trying to find flaws in Fallout 3. Hell, the fact that he's having difficulty finding valid flaws just shows how good the game is.

Though, this was pretty weak compared to his previous reviews in my opinion. Almost as if he didn't really want to write the review.

runtheplacered:

Says you. Don't forget that your opinion isn't the only one in the world. I know, I know.. it's hard.

No, says the flawed system they put into play for stealing and karma.

derpa:

No, really. He had a point. No matter what you do with Fallout 3, you will have pissed off fanboys. You'll please some and you'll displease the rest. There really is no "magical formula" that would have taken the franchise into the current generation and pleased every single Fallout fan.

Easy way was to not dumb the game down....but oh well.

Ryuzaki:

derpa:

Yea none of the fans would have liked it *eye roll*

Stop moaning. Why don't you back up your claims with some actual reasoning. Your opinion is not the law, you may be entitled to it, but that also means people are allowed to disagree with you.

Wait where did I say it was law? Oh thats right now where, you took it to be saying it was law.

Also don't even know how you quoted that and even got anything from moaning? You happen to have a source where all the fans didn't like it? hmmmm

thetragicclown:

derpa:
Yea none of the fans would have liked it *eye roll*

I think you're a bit lost. You see, this is the Zero Punctuation forum.

The forums for never-satisfied, "It's not Van Buren!" Fallout "fans" are over here.

Hmmm, seems lots of people on here like to make assumptions, where did I say I never had any fun with fallout 3? hmmm?

Poptart Fairy:

Third person is third person, dear.

I never disagreed it wasn't 3rd person, I just stated it was a flawed 3rd person.

I'm playing it just like the originals. Use VATs, wait for AP to recharge, repeat. Feels just like the originals to me.

Yea since Action point combat it all that was in the originals. *eye roll*

Yup, thought so. You can't refute it. I'm guessing you're one of those NMA berks who seeth hate and bile about the game, but run off and cry in a corner when called out on specifics.

Never been on NMA but nice try. Fallout 3 is a spin-off and not a Fallout 3 its that easy. Bad RPG, but amusing FPS with some RPG elements thrown in, like Oblivion just better.

I wish Yahtzee would do a 3 second review and all we got out of it was the crappy music and wasted time for reviews that are being demanded constantly.

Wow, my favorite game at the moment didn't get a reaming. They have mods now where stealing means no loss of karma so... you can be the almighty kleptomaniac saint if you really want to.
Fallout 3 is a great game with all the elements being on the same level of "good" so this review pretty much hits it on the head. There isn't a whole lot to talk about specifically unless you want to compare it to the old games.

P.S. Can you get Branston pickle in the states?

The_root_of_all_evil:
Argh...conflicting emotions...

No Adverts +1000 xp
Dingy Intro -10xp (cumulative)
Short, Sharp Joke Start: Gain a level
Having one of those bloody crustaceans in there : Go back to start.
*shivers*
Good review, Good nitpicks, Oblique but not intrusive references : Oh get back to the level you were on before I nuked your xp.
End quip : +10xp.

Overall, gain a level and 1000xp.

Hey root, normally I enjoy your post, but whaaat are you talking about?

I was wondering why when pickpocketing ppl you lose karma when u give them money/guns, that seems a bit strange to me.

MolotoK:
Has Yahtzee ever played the originals?
I guess he didn't, because then he wouldn't compare fallout 3 to Branston Pickle.

I think he has, if for no other reason that in his Bioshock Review, he mentioned how Bioshock "At best, took a few pointers from fallout, and at worst, totally ripped it off".

really enjoyed that review, i as-well enjoy FO3 : )

Man, bring on the official 'Sweet Hat' mod, or for all you console tards, DLC. :P

Good review, for all its flaws here and there, F3 still a darn good game, and its pretty obvious that Ben enjoyed himself.

I'm surprised Yahtzee, an adventure game maker himself, didn't pick up on the amount of story absurds this game had.

That was an awesome video. Thanx Yahtzee.

ha! i am now convinced that yahtzee belongs to a special breed of people, what with the reference to objectivism/ayn rand.

derpa:

THis may be just asking for trouble, but I'll go ahead anyway.
I've seen it said many a time that Oblivion and Fallout 3 are both highly dumbed down RPGs. May I ask how? I haven't played any older rpgs, but from what I played of Oblivion and ave heard of Fallout 3 they seem like they have a lot of character customisation and choices that can be made throughout the game.
Something I would consider a dumbed down rpg is Dark Messiah: Might and Magic, which had a ludicrously small amount of character development (admittedly it more than made up for it with a fantastic combat system)

Anyone have any explanation of this?

Funny intro, but I'm supprised you didn't pick up the game isn't worth the money the that was spent on it. The story is liquid, which I was shocked you didn't pick up on :( and the ending is like someone watched too much anime before they added the final bit to it. (I'm calling this Red Alert 3 virus, by the way.)

Also, loving the Branston. Keep it up.

Pretty good review, I personally loved the first two but am open minded enough to not care for any elder scroll games but love FO3.

Anyway, for Yahtzee, kinda relating to the reason no one has tried mixing turn based and real time gameplay: I've got Valkyria Chronicles (ps3) shipping for cheap (I think the price is back up now) and that seems like a good slight mix of the two, you should try it out when all these 'more interesting games' stop coming out.

DeathQuaker:

imbaczek:
if you really haven't played fallout 2, then i kinda forgive for this review. now go play it, coz now is the time and you're several years behind.

If I've sussed Yahtzee's playing preferences right, he probably would've gotten frustrated with Fallout 1 and 2's slow-paced combat and the way your followers tended to keep shooting you to death all the time and gave up before he could see those games' many good points. (Not that follower AI is great in FO3, but at least my best friends aren't constantly "accidentally" emptying an SMG into my rear end.)

Great review, surprised he liked it as much as he did (hey, I love FO3 but I generally expect him to be cynical as possible; "It was all right," from him is high praise). I agree with him on most of his points (though am slightly more forgiving of the subway tunnels ;) ).

Or aspoding you with chaingun fire when you get a tile too close to the enemies, heh. Happened to me more than once! And I have to admit to being surprised he liked Fallout 3 too. I figured he didn't like Oblivion and would see it as a clone of Oblivion with guns (hence wouldn't like it).

But they have improved the engine from Oblivion to Fallout, I reckon. I did have a list, but my brain has choosen now to forget them.

"Yeah, it's all right" was pretty much my thoughts when I played it.

Yahtzee didn't really complain about this game. I think Fallout 3 might actually be a secret favorite of his, that he can't reveal because he's reviewing it. It deffinitely isn't his trademark "tear-at-every-flaw-and-loose-end-until-the-game-is-a-bloody-stump".

whyarecarrots:

derpa:

THis may be just asking for trouble, but I'll go ahead anyway.
I've seen it said many a time that Oblivion and Fallout 3 are both highly dumbed down RPGs. May I ask how? I haven't played any older rpgs, but from what I played of Oblivion and ave heard of Fallout 3 they seem like they have a lot of character customisation and choices that can be made throughout the game.
Something I would consider a dumbed down rpg is Dark Messiah: Might and Magic, which had a ludicrously small amount of character development (admittedly it more than made up for it with a fantastic combat system)

Anyone have any explanation of this?

Well I could type a lot, but here is a good one to read for Oblivion, http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=129

You can notice a lot of similarities with Fallout 3 too, but at least fallout 3 is pretty fun out of the box as a FPS, hopefully a CS comes out soon for it though.

If you really still want after reading that, I can write a long post explaining.

You didn't even *mention* the plot? Boo.

now that is stealing, i love when you can just take what you waNT BUT SERIUSELY all that money at 4 . shit that just makes it a little to easy to buy all the shit you need why can't the people make a credible game where even if you steal their stuff that at least a couple people get pissed and at least try to kick your ass

No offense Yahtzee but i feel a bit used in a way...
There was no introduction to what Fallout used to be or what it is now and i didn't really see much of a major conclusion.
Other than that i enjoyed what you were saying about Oblivion... its very true.

Fair revew I'd say. Can you really go around stealing every single objec and still have a high karma level? I found playing it on the hardest difficulty I still had way too much stuff without even looting 1 damn thing that's not on a decaparated mutant (my specialty) or hidden in a complexed sewage system resembling the London tube! All in all though I like it, and it's a nice play through - plus 100% better than Farcry 2.

You'll have a field day reviewing that, since all you have to do is say that "it takes too freaking long to get anywhere" and that's more or less it. GTA, but bigger, with enemies respawning constantly and you not being able to go around them so you get the same bloody encounter over and over and over and over. Kind of like really REALLY old 'actionadventure' games such as System Shock 2 where every time you entered a room you had two or three new mutants to jump around the corner at you. Another annoying aspect is that for you to actually know how to point and shoot a weapon properly you need its specific instruction manual which you have to buy with diamonds (which are amazingly also a currency on some anonymous black market website that accepts imaginary-credit-card-diamonds) and the first problem you encounter is actually getting any. First off you have the main quests - if you don't want to play the game really. Side quests (though I haven't seen very much there if at all) and the "oh look I wonder what that blinking light means" which seems to be your primary source of income at least for the first part of the game and this is the mechanic:
Light in your car starts blinking as you are driving along. You stop. You get shot at. You quickload and get on your turret. You shoot back. You look around untill light stops blinking and head in that direction and get it... All very well in theory but gets a bit repetitive, the only mildly interresting aspect to this is that it is in a different location each time (either on a cliff face, in some bushes or the middle of a lake).

Yes. Either review Farcry2 because it's an easy task to find flaws or just don't bother - probably one of the worst games of the year. Well after CoD5 that is. And that's a whole different story.

Magnetic2:

The_root_of_all_evil:
Argh...conflicting emotions...

No Adverts +1000 xp
Dingy Intro -10xp (cumulative)
Short, Sharp Joke Start: Gain a level
Having one of those bloody crustaceans in there : Go back to start.
*shivers*
Good review, Good nitpicks, Oblique but not intrusive references : Oh get back to the level you were on before I nuked your xp.
End quip : +10xp.

Overall, gain a level and 1000xp.

Hey root, normally I enjoy your post, but whaaat are you talking about?

I tried to play it as if it was a quest for levels. And I hate bloody lobsters :)

i liked the biginning never played the game but oh well

Well, that answers one question I've always had. "How does Yahtzee finish all these games or even get very far in them?" He doesn't. Pretty obvious from his comments about Liam Nelson and his lack of comments about the ending.

Zeldadudes:
There was no introduction to what Fallout used to be or what it is now and i didn't really see much of a major conclusion.

I think he was trying to review the game for what it was; not what it used to be.

Flying-Emu:

Zeldadudes:

I think he was trying to review the game for what it was; not what it used to be.

He compared Fable 2 to Fable 1 though... I used to play the original and i was just slightly disappointed when i noticed that Yahtzee didn't even look at its predecessors.

You could've just done the first 20 seconds worth and it would've still been amazing, nice work! XD

Whew. In some of your previous reviews, I thought you'd forgotten that even if you are known for tearing games apart, that doesn't mean they don't deserve a little praise. (Sometimes.) I was deathly afraid your Fallout review might not give the game the credit it deserves, which is a reasonable amount. No worries though, a well done review.

Pretty much agreed on all points. FYI, the game data files still contain references to Conjuration and Destruction magic (Well, all schools of magic) and the moon is called Masser (One of Masser and Secunda, the two TES moons), so yes, on the technical aspect its Oblivion with guns. Not that I mind. Also, I was shockingly disappointed you didn't comment on the sudden, plot-hole ridden ending, although its not really the point of the game. The point is mostly what you do besides the main quest, to be honest. (And that's how it should be in Fallout.)

All in all, a good review. I mean hey, I registered here just to make this comment. Oh, and I must agree on Bethesda hiring only the best for the characters they plan to toss away uselessly. But it was more justified for the Dad in Fallout, he really came across sincere. I actually felt like I cared about the family characters they'd given me in the game, for once.

I don't know how much you looked into it, but to me, Oblivion was made great not by the base game but by the deep modding community. If/when Bethesda releases a Fallout 3 Construction Set, which is looking likely, keep an eye on the modding community.

EDIT: By the way, for anyone wondering, yes I played the first Fallout games, and yes I was a huge fan of them. Fallout 3 is in some ways better and in some ways worse. Still, all things considered, I think Bethesda did a good job, and really captured the Fallout atmosphere. Some of the depth in conversation was lost, but I've never seen the wasteland rendered in such beautiful glory.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here