Escape to the Movies: Man of Steel

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

misterprickly:

Realitycrash:

misterprickly:
Lets be honest with ourselves... Dark & gritty are two words that should NEVER be used to describe Superman.

When I heard that Nolan was working on a Superman film, my immediate reaction was "Aw CRAP!" Until I heard that it was 52 universe Superman.

Again... Lets be honest; the 52 universe SUCKS!!!

-Power Girl is dressed all conservatively.

-and Green Lantern... is gay!

..How are these two things 'bad'? How do they relevantly affect the character in any way? What, power-girl revolves around her boobs? Really?
What makes the Green Lantern an interesting character is his sexuality? Really? It's not being an interplanetary space-police? Or kicking ass with the most powerful-weapon in the universe? No, it's about that he kisses dudes?
What..The..Actual..Fuck?
I sincerely hope I have misinterpreted your intentions.

Have you ever read a Power Girl comic? In the comics she's asked "Why don't you wear a mask?" She replies...

As for Green Lantern... Yes it is bad. Why? Because it doesn't REALLY add anything! One minute he's white, then black, then Latino, then an angry red head and now GAY; what's next the bipolar version?

And her boobs are now so important for her character that..It's scandalous that she covers them up? Oh my god, it sounds like a really bad DC in-joke. What's next? Penisman? And we can't cover up his enormous bulge because that would be hurting his character (since every super-villain is too busy making sausage-jokes to fight properly).

It doesn't really hurt the Green Lanter character either, you know. Jown Stewart, Guy Gardner, Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner (Okey, I can't spell his name)..Oh my god, one is black! And one is an artist liberal! It doesn't ADD anything to the character!

Geeze. So what?

I'm just grateful that it's a great movie. After the recent movies sold around the 1980's and even the recent 'new' Superman not being that good... this was surely a relief. I'll be seeing it probably this weekend but my girlfriend wants to see that comedy movie more lol.

Also the only reason I feel like I want to see it is for the action/visual fighting scenes. They look absolutely beautiful.

Most of the time you're okay. And I know you see movies for a living so you are more jaded than the rest of us, but do you have to let your pretentious movie snobbery come through every fucking week? Maybe you'll grow out of it like Ebert did. Smh.

I totally agree with you that there is zero chemistry in the romantic story. Which does detract from the movie.

A good review Bob very accurate but I would say that as a non superman fan that it is well worth a look.

Man of Steel is the Dragonball Z movie I wanted when I was 14. Seriously. There is so much yelling, snarling and powering up that it fits. About midway through the film there is a shot for shot scene used in the opening credits for the American translation.

The first half of the film made me more disappointed with Green Lantern. The GL film couldn't do alien culture half as well as Man of Steel did, using much more money.

Is the film enjoyable, oh hell yes. Is it smart? Not really at all. It's not on the riding on the short bus dumb, it's the angry kid sticking pins through the top layer of skin to seem tough dumb.

ED: Also as a first post from a lurker, captcha was "in the club" Classy.

Keep your eyes out for the Lex Corp tanker truck. I chuckled when Supes got smashed into it.

I loved the film. Sure it has some plot holes, but the plot holes don't ruin the film like Star Trek Into Darkness.

Meh of Steel. Amiright?

I do admit, how come DC has SUCH a damn hard time making movies about their characters, doing so in ways that show they're almost ASHAMED of the fun, joy, creativity, and wackiness that put them on the map, whereas Marvel embraces their comic books and proudly translates the fun of superheroes to their films?

Or, to pull a Nolan Joker on them, Why is Superman so Serious?

Vale:
I fucking despise Superman and everything he stands for, so I might just enjoy this movie.

You despise someone because his main goal is to protect the place he calls home from the people that would sooner turn it into a wasteland or slave pit? Huh.

In all seriousness though, I do honestly miss the days when a superhero movie like Superman could have the character willing to have fun with his powers and just be willing to have SOME degree of camp. It's why I like Superman: Secret Identity. Clark discovers his powers at a young age and what's the first thing he does? "Holy crap, I can fly! I'm just like Superman!" *flies all around with an expression of pure, unbridled joy* Then we get a few scenes of him testing out his powers and then he starts following the trend of the comics he reads because he also was raised to do the right thing.

I do have to see this because the fight scenes look exactly like what I have always wanted to see in a big superhero fight. Just seems like this one is one to try and enjoy. Though that's what I said about Green Lantern.

Realitycrash:

misterprickly:

Realitycrash:

..How are these two things 'bad'? How do they relevantly affect the character in any way? What, power-girl revolves around her boobs? Really?
What makes the Green Lantern an interesting character is his sexuality? Really? It's not being an interplanetary space-police? Or kicking ass with the most powerful-weapon in the universe? No, it's about that he kisses dudes?
What..The..Actual..Fuck?

Have you ever read a Power Girl comic? In the comics she's asked "Why don't you wear a mask?" She replies...

As for Green Lantern... Yes it is bad. Why? Because it doesn't REALLY add anything! One minute he's white, then black, then Latino, then an angry red head and now GAY; what's next the bipolar version?

And her boobs are now so important for her character that..It's scandalous that she covers them up? Oh my god, it sounds like a really bad DC in-joke. What's next? Penisman? And we can't cover up his enormous bulge because that would be hurting his character (since every super-villain is too busy making sausage-jokes to fight properly).

It doesn't really hurt the Green Lanter character either, you know. Jown Stewart, Guy Gardner, Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner (Okey, I can't spell his name)..Oh my god, one is black! And one is an artist liberal! It doesn't ADD anything to the character!

Geeze. So what?

Ya don't get it and I'm not gonna waste my time explaining it to you as you probably STILL won't get it!

People like you are the reason movies like Dragon ball Evolution get made.

BTW Power Girls been a "boob joke" since the 1970's

Sounds like exactly what I expected it to be. And I'm disappointed. I mean, I never liked Superman much, but we really don't need another grim and gritty reboot. I want movies to have fun again. And also not suck while doing so.

misterprickly:

Realitycrash:

misterprickly:

Geeze. So what?

Ya don't get it and I'm not gonna waste my time explaining it to you as you probably STILL won't get it!

"You don't get it, and you can't get it, and people like you make bad stuff happen' - Really?
Wow. Stunning argument.
Alright, carry on.

Vausch:

Vale:
I fucking despise Superman and everything he stands for, so I might just enjoy this movie.

You despise someone because his main goal is to protect the place he calls home from the people that would sooner turn it into a wasteland or slave pit? Huh.

Agreed. This a weird sentiment that some people seem to share when it comes to Superman and it flabbergasts me.Superman is no more 'OP' than any other protagonist for anything else ever. Its commonly refered to as 'plot armor' just about everybody who has a story written about them have it. Superman just shows it up front, and most of the time that just leaves him free to tell stories that arent about beating up bad guys.

On the movie itself, I saw it last night. The action scenes wreck the Avengers in terms of epic scale and punch outs. The story is all over the place imo, at sometimes its grand and heartfelt, other times its flat and im wondering how it made the cut. I 'get' the 50% love hate some critics are giving it, but as a summer blockbusters its way better than say...Transformers or the Expendibles.

The word I would use if dull. I'm sure it was spectacular in 3D, but I was decidedly bored.

Realitycrash:

misterprickly:

Realitycrash:

Geeze. So what?

"You don't get it, and you can't get it, and people like you make bad stuff happen' - Really?
Wow. Stunning argument.
Alright, carry on.

Thank you, I shall XP

OT: What's up with the rubber bodysuits? Is there something wrong with Spandex?
Why does every DC character have to look like they've been grabbed by the head and dipped into liquid latex?

It's like Joel Schumacher isn't the only one at DC with a rubber fetish XD

I swear, if there isn't a point in Pacific Rim with one of the characters screaming "I'M IN A GIANT ROBOT!" I might just cry blood.

misterprickly:

Realitycrash:

misterprickly:
Lets be honest with ourselves... Dark & gritty are two words that should NEVER be used to describe Superman.

When I heard that Nolan was working on a Superman film, my immediate reaction was "Aw CRAP!" Until I heard that it was 52 universe Superman.

Again... Lets be honest; the 52 universe SUCKS!!!

-Power Girl is dressed all conservatively.

-and Green Lantern... is gay!

What..The..Actual..Fuck?

Okay yeah, Powergirls outfit is pretty dodgy in the new 52, but that reason was so arbitrary for her showing off her cleavage, we all know it's so the artists can have fun drawing massive boobs. The fact that she still exists is literally a massive in-joke that we all accept.

Secondly, all those Lanterns are all different characters, who all co-exist. Same as all the /other/ Green Lanterns, y'know all the aliens and what not, as well as the Guardians. Are you gonna argue that they add nothing to the character too? Heck if you're going to complain about the Green Lantern having other versions Hal damn well isn't the first. Alan Scott is the original, as you well should know. The guy who actually gets his powers from a Genie, not The Guardians and a Power Battery, is weak to wood not yellow; the whole Green Lantern Core is a revision of the character from scratch, so I'm not entirely sure what your argument is supposed to be. Going with your line of thought Alan Scott should be the one Green Lantern that ever existed.

And you're right, Alan Scott being Gay does add nothing to the character. The way it should be. Him being gay doesn't add anything to the character because it shouldn't /have/ any bearing on things. Lets face it, there's loads of Superheroes, some of them /are/ going to be gay. The fact that you decide the next version would be the Bipolar version (which is a mental illness) just leads me to believe you don't like him being gay because you don't like gay people. Him being gay doesn't define his character, neither did him being straight, because it has no bearing on his character, it's just there because it's a nice bit of diversity. Also, taking into account the Justice League series, John Stewart is the best Human GL hands down.

Ronack:
What did you do to Lois, Man of Steel? WHAT DID YOU.... If this is the general concensus, and I find it to be true when I watch it, I will personally kick the writer in the nuts.

Yeah it's a damn shame, I've always liked her character and the fact that she has guts all around to get shit done.

That said, I am looking forward to the film, it doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be stable enough to setup another and the whole Justice League stuff etc. I mean, origin movies always seem to lack a certain something because they have to establish a lot and can add a bit of tedium, I am glad to hear the action more then makes up for it.

The way you talked about Man of Steel reminds me a lot of how you talked about Tim Burton's Batman. The good stuff is REALLY good, but it ultimately fails to really work. I'm already hoping for a sequel.

Best fight scenes ever. That is what I came out of the movie thinking about. Seriously, my mouth was literally held open because I was in awe of the spectacle. I don't usually forgive movies for their story telling mistakes even if their visuals and action are great (see Avatar), but in this case, I will most definitely make an exception.

IMO, Bob is pretty much right in regards to the story although I thought it was a bit better. I liked the ideas and themes that the story presented (and sometimes you got a sense that it really was a great story) but for the most part, it was delivered fairly poorly. The entire sequence with the flash backs felt really odd. I'm not sure how to describe it but it just seemed off.

Once Zod arrived, the story got quite a bit better IMO. Ya there were still sloppy bits but I felt that it was more focused. I'm not sure why Bob thought the thing Zod was looking for was meaningless or pointless, it's Kryptons only fucking hope to be purely Kryptonian. That is was Zod was made to keep safe. I don't understand how he can like Zod but not like the entire premise of his quest... Also, maybe I'm a minority in this, but I thought Lois was actually very good. Although the scene where Zod wanted her on the ship didn't make much sense (I guess we have to imagine what his reasons for that were).

Anyway, I'll reiterate:

BEST FIGHT SCENES EVER!!!!!!!

Having seen the movie, I enjoyed it. I agree that there was little of that "Americana" spark of optimism, that defines Supes, which was clearly b/c they wanted to make him "cool."

Still, the only thing I would have changed about the story is more setup for his character. Sure, we all know it by now, but it would have been nice to see Clark's reaction to his own heritage, which is an angle not really played with enough in the movies (though Smallville had 10 seasons to grapple with it).

All in all, a solid performance, here's hoping JLA turns out better. I'd really love it if Wonder Woman got her own outing! Also, as abysmal as GL was, I hope they include him in the JLA movie.

RJ Dalton:
we really don't need another grim and gritty reboot.

Why not? All of the Marvel ones have the same, light-hearted, nothing bad is actually ever going to happen, tone. They're good at what they do but every one of them feels like the same movie to me. I like variety...

Granted the movie's story could have been much better but that doesn't mean that every super hero movie needs to do it exactly like Marvel.

This is a very interesting review for me personally since I'm in agreement with it in may ways except one. The action is great if drawn out, Shannon is a top form if scene chewy, supporting are fine but just kind of there etc, basically yes its good but clearly flawed.

But in regards to where the film's heart is. I actually think that its heart is in the right place with the many themes and character pieces working to an extent but the script seems to either be over thinking it or in some cases outright undercutting it. I think a film where Kevin Costner's characters raising a would be Superman has more than enough substance to stand as its own film. In fact by the time the action rolled around the best part was the final moment due to its emotion.

As a side note, Bob's final word is hilarious but true, great stuff!

I actually agreed with you far more than I thought I would.

I liked it a bit more, but I will admit the atmosphere was pretty joyless.
I don't especially enjoy the angstyness(shut up, it's totally a word), but I also don't mind it since I was never a huge fan of classic Superman.
It would have been nice to see them do it straight faced and still have it work perfectly like with Captain America.

I'm also glad we can agree that Zod was AMAZING. I seriously think the movie is worth seeing just for him and the action.

The Apple BOOM:
This might sound weird, but I did want to throw it out there that if you still have 9/11 issues, I would skip this movie. Being someone who is around a lot of people with these issues still, mainly because I live near NYC, a lot of the scenes were uncomfortable even to me.

Are we going to just start putting trigger warnings every time New York gets attacked in a movie?

You don't see England losing their shit every time the tube gets fucked on screen.

Oh yeah, another problem with the film. As someone from Kansas, NEVER EVER hide from a tornado in an overpass. That is one of the worst ways to avoid it. The overpass acts as a wind tunnel and magnifies the force.

Also because I'm from Kansas I could identify the two possibile "location" of Smallville. The school bus is from Marion county, the massive fight had at least a car from Douglas county. If anyone cares past this point.... Google it?

Count_A'ight:
Keep your eyes out for the Lex Corp tanker truck. I chuckled when Supes got smashed into it.

Oh yeah, also there was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it Lexcorp 18 wheeler right as Superman comes back and visits his mom after the graveyard scene.

Tylord:
Oh yeah, another problem with the film. As someone from Kansas, NEVER EVER hide from a tornado in an overpass. That is one of the worst ways to avoid it. The overpass acts as a wind tunnel and magnifies the force.

I'm from Texas (in a lower area that doesn't regularly get tornadoes) and even I got incredibly annoyed by that.

Was I the only one who found the heavy handed product placement jarring? The IHOP signs and Sears signs stood out to the point of absurdity IMO; really took me out of the scenes.

MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT HERE: where i lost it with this movie is the point where the big gravity machine is... well being a big gravity machine and all of the fighter pilots are saying " we cant hit it with missiles because of the gravity" one assholes big idea is "lets fly closer and shoot more missiles"... and thats not the only time shit like this happens in this movie the whole movie treats humans like they are usles. there is even a Prometheus-esq scene where people are running from a falling building in a straight line... out of the group of 20 people running only 3 manage to figure out turning in any direction will save their lives... i know think of this nature are common in movies but this one rode the "talking is a free action" trope waaayyyyy to much

Shdwrnr:
Was I the only one who found the heavy handed product placement jarring? The IHOP signs and Sears signs stood out to the point of absurdity IMO; really took me out of the scenes.

Not at all. It really takes me out of a film, hopefully the ad money was used to make the film better.

I'll have to see this then if I can find a free evening.

Not going to lie, I was totally expecting a Cat Mario eye catch at the end.

Oh dear. For some reason I'm reminded of Bob's Captain America review where he cited as the film's primary strength its complete lack of irony: Captain America is a purely "good guy" with not a trace of irony in his role. It seems like Nolan just couldn't leave well enough alone again. Oh well. Glad Snyder came through on the action scenes at least. I'll still be checking this out anyway, but it is a bit disappointing.

j1015:
Most of the time you're okay. And I know you see movies for a living so you are more jaded than the rest of us, but do you have to let your pretentious movie snobbery come through every fucking week? Maybe you'll grow out of it like Ebert did. Smh.

Yeah, because god forbid a movie critic actually fucking criticise a movie when it has actual flaws. Jesus wept...

Jetsetneo:

Vausch:

Vale:

Agreed. This a weird sentiment that some people seem to share when it comes to Superman and it flabbergasts me.Superman is no more 'OP' than any other protagonist for anything else ever. Its commonly refered to as 'plot armor' just about everybody who has a story written about them have it. Superman just shows it up front, and most of the time that just leaves him free to tell stories that arent about beating up bad guys.

What I often find strange is they say "His one weakness is Kryptonite and that's silly that the villain has to use that to hurt him". Superman has several weaknesses, Kryptonite is just the most well known and it's not exactly difficult for his enemies to find it or make it using someone like Element Lad.

Heck, wanna talk broken characters that nobody complains about? Flash doesn't have an established weakness except the fluctuating power of the speed force and he's the most powerful thing in the entire DCU. Seriously, he's faster than Superman and when he applies physics in proper to his movements, he carries enough mass in his body when moving faster than light to punch someone with the weight of the universe itself.

Guess I'm surprised by the large numbers of negativism regarding this film. My younger brother and I both saw the movie earlier today separately and his reaction was this might be the best super-hero film ever. While I'm not quite sure I would claim that (yet) we both thought that the filmmakers really captured the character and that the action scenes were better than any we've ever seen. Plus, coming off the criticism of the previous Superman movie, which many people was only a homage to the Richard Donner films with new actors, I was looking forward to a "Batman Begins" reboot of the character that doesn't rely as much on what went before. Also, we're not new to the genre having been readers of the comics since the early 60's.

One thing in particular that I thought was well done was the level of destruction we saw as a result of a fight between nearly indestructible beings of unbelievable power. There's no doubt that there were people killed and that the battle had ramifications. There was no pinning someone with a radio antenna, hitting someone with a manhole cover, knocking people into landmarks or advertising signs. Plus, it always bothers me when the hero attempts to "take the fight somewhere where ordinary people won't get hurt". There's nothing for the villain to gain by doing that and the hero normally only shows up WHEN there are innocents around.

In the 75 years that Superman has been around, there have been numerous takes on the character. From the movie serials, radio shows and Max Fleischer cartoons of the 40's, the George Reeves TV shows of the 50's, the Filmation and Hanna-Barbera cartoons of the 60's and 70's, the Christopher Reeve films of the 70's and 80's, the Dean Cain and Tom Welling TV shows of the 90's and the 2000's, to the Brandon Routh and Henry Cavill films of recent years every generation has their view of the character. Superman is an icon and although everyone is familiar with the character his story can be retold in different ways to reflect the times.

Man of Steel captured the reaction of a post-9/11 world and reflected the fear and suspicion that a being with this much power would bring about. It worked for me and delivered on my expectations of a major summer blockbuster.

Just came back from Man Of Steel...it's Good, borderline Really Good, not Great. The action scenes and Michael Shannon as Zodd steal the show while the main protagonist...yeah he's the weakest link. Cavill did a nice job though.

Oh and Amy Adams is there too for...reasons. Well this can't be no dang sausagefest now can it?? [/case of the Not-Gays]
But naw, she did fine for what it's worth.

ALRIGHT NOW FOR THE JUICY STUFF!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or